Providence Oyster Bar
283 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Providence Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.providenceoysterbar.com/
- Phone: (401) 272-8866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch:Sundays 11:30am-2pm Dinner 2pm-9:00pm
Appy Hour: Every Day: 3:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Open Later Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Timothy Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Providence Oyster Bar
Located in historic Federal Hill, Providence Oyster Bar stands out as Rhode Island"s premiere seafood house. Upscale, yet casual, the Providence Oyster Bar welcomes you to be spoiled by the freshest selection of oysters and clams.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Providence Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Providence Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (16)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)good for groups (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- Superb wasabi calamari. Moles frites and swordfishtburlingDined on 11/19/2014Unique delicious wasabi calamari. Moles frites with bacon with white wine cream sauce. Yummy to the last drop. Swordfish with lobster mashed potatoes, good flavor and firm texture. Definitely overall big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in ProvidencePHS2014Dined on 11/12/2014This place never disappoints. I brought four co-workers to POB for dinner and they LOVED it. The food was great and the wine list was impressive. Lots of good choices at a reasonable price. We sat at the bar and the service was terrific. They made us feel like VIPs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Fresh Seafood/Great Findluvgr8foodVIPDined on 11/9/2014An excellent find. The service was great and the seafood extremely fresh and well prepared. Highly recommend the R.I Clam Chowder and New England Clam Chowder, as well as the baked stuffed lobster and lobster mac and cheese!! Great Bloody Mary's too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service on pointeddier24Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent. Service was on point from the time I walked in the door to the time I left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad start, nice recoveryComeComeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Bad start was being overlooked for 30 minutes after seating. Hand off to server fumbled. Our table conversation filled the time, but this should not happen and we had to flag someone down to correct. The manager made good with complementary salads, wine and desert, and the food was excellent. We would go back but make sure we have a server to greet us earlier.
- Loved the oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014Stopped in for dinner and was impressed. The food was all very good and the service was great. They have a nice selection of oysters which you can mix and match. The space is long and narrow which makes the bar area seem tight. There is a barrier that runs (almost) the length of the restaurant separating the bar from the dining area, however, I would not want to sit on the bar side of the dining area as people at the bar place their plates and drinks right above your eye level.Special Features:
- Best seafood Resturant in RIChiefVIPDined on 11/4/2014Has much more than seafood, but is exceptional in that category...my wife raves about the baked stuffed lobster and I always order the swordfish...both cooked to perfection, and an affordable wine list to boot. We don't go often enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Great ambiance & good.. Waitress very friendly& helpful but not as accessible as I would have wanted. Had to ask the someone to find her once. Kitchen was very fast to get food out, which we liked..Special Features:
- *****CVDreaDined on 10/25/2014The Food Was Delicious. Great Atmosphere Also...Will Definitely Be Going Back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Goodseafoodjunki3Dined on 10/17/2014I will be returning. The lobster was delicious and the oysters were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent mealOldYankeeVIPDined on 9/30/2014My second time at the POB, and another excellent meal. Pasta w swordfish in cream sauce was perfect! Service by Nick was impeccable. Even the valet, Tony, treated me like an honored member of the family. My only quibble: the choice and volume level of the music wasn't apprpriate for my taste or, I suspect, for any of the other guests not in their 20s.Special Features:
- RalphVIPDined on 9/29/2014Wonderful. Great service and great food. We'll return whenever we're next in ProvidenceSpecial Features:
- Fabulous food. Fun atmosphereJaneVIPDined on 9/20/2014We visit Providence once a year and eating here is always a must. Our waitress actually remembered us from last year and was so attentive and fun. My friend and I shared the paella, it was delicious and plenty of food. Anther friend had the halibut special which he said was fantastic. Our appetizers of raw bar selections and calimari were perfect and not too filling. We will be back next year!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always - food is excellent!dbffromtheburbsDined on 9/20/2014Brought some newbies to this restaurant and they were very happy with their food choices. The Chilean Sea Bass in particular was well received, and the staff was nice enough to modify the risotto to meet a non-mushroom requirement.Special Features:
- Delicioius foodlovetoeatoutDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good, service was fine but it was quite noisy. When I made the reservation, i included that we were celebrating my granddaughters first "real" job after graduating from URI last May. They didn't do anythinh extra or mention the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little Place!HelloKDined on 8/16/2014Almost always when we visit Federal Hill in Providence for the weekend, we eat at the Oyster Bar. It is small, but has a nice atmosphere, the service is always very attentive and the food very good as well, we usually have dinner on Saturday night and then sometimes go back for lunch on Sunday. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- great service!nycbostonfoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014This place was recommended by a friend who used to live in Providence, and it was definitely worth it! The food was amazing--the moules frites appetizer was one of the best mussel dishes I've ever had. The bacon wrapped scallop salad was delicious, and the scallops were cooked perfectly. The service was great--our waiter was attentive and nice, and the bus boys consistently kept our water glasses full. Definitely recommend this to anyone who loves seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal Hill RetreatBakermanDined on 8/9/2014The Ouster Bar is fantastic. It's our second "go-to" restaurant in Providence. The food and atmosphere are wonderful and I've never failed to have a anything but satisfaction when I done here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I was very pleased with the over all experience. It was my first time there and I enjoyed it very much. Would be interested in coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningcollcharDined on 8/2/2014We sat at a table in the far end of the restaurant. Great table, nice level of noise so that we all were able to hear each other talk easily. generous portions. Especially liked the lobster wontons. Nice selection on the menu. Water glasses were always full. Great timing and attention from wait staffSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerSVH227Dined on 7/27/2014Had to request that A/C be turned down. Had to prod waiter to "move things along," as one of our party had a train to catch. It was an expensive dinner. On the positive side, the food was great, and everyone seem to enjoy their entrees. The seafood was very fresh. Service was inconsistent, but mostly attentive.Special Features:
- The following 277 reviews are from the Providence Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Excellent raw bar;DaveyBoyDined on 7/17/2014Excellent raw bar; the main reason why I drive to Providence is for appi hour.Special Features:
- Classic New England Fare w/ a twistJohnJVIPDined on 7/13/2014We came here with our family on a Sunday night. The restaurant is long and fairly narrow with a long bar on the left side, four person booths lined up along the right wall, and tables in between. It was busy but not crowded. The service was very attentive and allowed us to order in waves as our chatty group couldn't make ay decisions. The oysters were (expectedly) terrific. As were the maple-espresso glazed scallops wrapped in bacon. The cioppino was HUGE and definitely could have served two. One person tried the sushi, which was also quite good. We would certainly come back, though now that we've eaten our way through the menu we might order a bit less when we return.
- wonderful eveningnotoutoftenDined on 7/10/2014Some family from Texas came visiting and we wanted to treat them to an upscale new england dining experience, Providence style. Providence Oyster Bar delivered! Most ordered off the Restaurant Week menu (great timing!) some the regular menu. None were disappointed. Every meal was superb. The atmosphere was very comfortable (party of 8) and the service was impeccable. If I'm expecting to drop a considerable sum on a dining experience, I better walk away happy that I did. I left elated.Special Features:
- mrsljDined on 7/7/2014We always have an enjoyable early evening dinner when we come here. The menu offers good seafood choices. It is close to home so we don't have to drive to Matunuck to get oysters. They are really fresh here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverdoneKelseyTDined on 7/6/2014Our shrimp and asparagus pasta dish was overdone on both counts.
- Disappointed but still deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Ordered a steak medium rare and it came out rare. In fairness, they offered to cook it longer however for $37.00, the expectation is that my steak is going to come out the way I order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedrjl8125Dined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent, as was the service. Nice Atmosphere. A little pricey, but overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Expected more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Was our 34th wedding anniversary, reservation made over a week in advance. No special attention was given to us or our table. Not even a free drink, or a shrimp, or even a visit to our table by manager or chef. Food was excellent but would not recommend this restaurant for any special occasion. they did not go out of they're way to make it a special one. I expected more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Staff, incredible food!Sara63Dined on 6/16/2014We went for the oysters and were surprised by how many varieties they had. We tried a platter of a dozen mixed and they all came labeled (something a pricier seafood place nearby doesn't even do) and then had soup and salad. The food was amazing! The staff was very un-rushed and helpful and even the valet parking guy went out of his way to make sure we could go stroll around the hill after and be able to get to our car when we were ready to go. We will definitely go back to this small, well-appointed place with a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Loved ithungryboomDined on 6/15/2014Great food and service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters and more!QuincyAnonymousDined on 6/7/2014We read the many positive reviews and decided to try it out. There were 11 varieties of oysters that night and we settled on 2. The red wine mignonette was a nice touch! Our meals were beautifully presented and though my cod was a tad overcooked and dry, it was delicious. Next time I will try the sushi options as I saw several tables enjoying them. If you want a special seafood dining option to the Italian restaurant dominated Federal Hill scene, I would highly recommend The Oyster Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FreshDLO13Dined on 6/7/2014Some of the best seafood in RI great dinner specials and some of the best oysters around. The sea food tower is fantastic and a must have...Special Features:
- Providence Oyster BarAntoneliaDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant has an exquisite selection of seafood and never disappoints. Again this weekend it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok local foodfoodieDined on 5/25/2014oysters were fresh. Steamed lobster was dried out, i believe they cook it open and when served it was too chewy. On this night, given it was graduation wknd, they ran out of bread and service was a little slow. It's ok, but i'm sure tehre are better restaurants for these prices and fresh food.
- Superb seafoodCdogDined on 5/23/2014If you like excellent seafood this is your place, from multiple kinds of oysters to a fabulous lobster (or lobster roll, or lobster mashed potatoes--don't miss these), you'll love the food. Fabulous happy hour! Great neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- one of our favorites in ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/22/2014We have been visiting Providence at least once and often twice a year while our daughter has been a student at Brown. POB remains one of our favorite restaurants. The oysters are among the best we've had anywhere in the US...only Hog Island in San Francisco competes. A few of our other favorites include the cod bianco and steamed littlenecks (Cannellini beans, sweet Italian sausage, rabe). POB knows what it does well and does just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafood!GretchenDined on 5/18/2014Largest selection of seafood I have seen, and enough items for non-seafood lovers to enjoy.Special Features:
- lunchluv2eatDined on 5/14/2014Lunch date with friend, took advantage of halibut/risotto special. Delicious!! Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRoseDined on 5/12/2014High quality ingredients cooked to average quality results. Nothing was completely bad, but nothing was memorable either, and the price was very high. Seafood was fresh and high-quality, but preparations were heavy handed and there was no subtlety or imagination. I would not return since for the same costs one can get a phenomenal meal in several other Providence restaurants. Too bad, since I was hoping to find a great local seafood place that isn't a chain.