Provence - Albany
Stuyvesant Plaza Western Ave
Albany, NY 12203Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Provence - Albany
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.provence-restaurant.net/
- Phone: (518) 689-7777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm, Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Michael Cunningham
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Unique catering: corporate, private, bridal showers and weddings, please call 518-783-3334.
- Private Party Facilities: We now have a fully private dining room available for private parties, dinner meetings, or for whatever needs you may have. The room holds up to 65 guests. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Sara Inman 5186897777x11
- Entertainment: Live Jazz solo artists and duos Thursday nights 6:30-9:30, and Live Jazz combos with vocals on Friday and Saturday nights from 7:00-10:00.
A word from Provence - Albany
Serving the finest traditional and contemporary southern French and Mediterranean cuisine. Experience dining in true French Bistro style with classic dishes such as Bouillabaisse, Duck and Steak Frites. Enjoy professional friendly service, an open kitchen featuring daily specials, a full custom made zinc bar, and an award winning wine list in our beautiful, casually elegant French setting. Patio dining May through October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Provence - Albany - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Provence - Albany reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)notable wine list (20)romantic (18)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (8)good for groups (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A Gem of a Restaurant!rlstitesDined on 11/13/2014I was not disappointed in any way. Reviews were spot on about the quality of the food and the ambiance. Wait staff was excellent and my food was outstanding. I will go for dinner again when I am in Albany on business. Cannot comment on the music as there was none on my Thursday night visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meals every time we eat here :-) :-) :-)ktddDined on 11/13/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Albany. We always have great meals here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014The food was very good, but it was so noisy that we couldn't hear each other and service was very slow. It took over 45 minutes to get our appetizers.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Service staff was very open friendly and of great quality with interpwesnal relationships. many thanks to her….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional service amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014Great French food at reasonable prices. Stooped in after a ling weekend in montreal. Comparable french food to best restaurants in montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerDined on 10/4/2014Been here many times but this time there was a new menu and the food was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The service was wonderful and my meal was delicious.Special Features:
- real great restaurantrandyDined on 9/27/2014The place is really nice inside the service is very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!LocalsDined on 9/19/2014Provence is located in a strip mall, so we really weren't sure what the restaurant would look like on the inside, but we were blown away! We walked in the entrance under the big blue awning past some modest outdoor patio seating with lighting, a spacious piano bar, into a dining room that had a warm and inviting ambience and beautiful decor. The food was outstanding, especially the lamb loin special and the duck, and portions were decent. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable about the food, and friendly. We neither felt rushed nor ignored, and we had the most enjoyable time! We would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- I enjoyed my 5 apps!MarcoNVIPDined on 9/4/2014I had 5 appetizers/tapas for dinner and they were all wonderful as was the service. Very well priced for the portions. I will return.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday lunchsligo58Dined on 8/30/2014My husband, brother-in-law, and I had lunch at Provence recently. The food and service were, as usual, excellent; we love the French décor as well. My husband is in a wheelchair, and the staff is always considerate and helpful. It's one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for special partyRatingByMaxDined on 8/24/2014Both the food and service were excellent. The server's recommendations were very accurate, appreciated and resulted in an excellent dining experience. Having asked for a quite location to accommodate a patron with a hearing impairment, we were very pleased with the seating arrangement provided.Special Features:
- Ambitious and Pleasing MenuCatieDined on 8/22/2014I really enjoyed my food. I had a croque monsieur which is basically a glorified grilled cheese, ham and tomato sandwich, but it was delicious. There were many other things to try that looked very promising. I will want to go back. I ordered the frites and although they were delicious, I was sorry I couldn't stop until every last one was gone! I also liked our our server. She was very pleasant and helpful. She was very knowledgeable about the menu. I like the ambiance in Provence and like it best when it is not too crowded, yet lively, which it was on the day I had lunch there. My companion had several complaints, all of which were handled swiftly and graciously.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014Whenever we return to the Albany area we make a reservation at Provence. The menu offers something for everyone--and in several portions that allow you to sample the excellent and varying selections. The presentation is always lovely to look at and the tastes never disappoint. Our waiter provided excellent service--attentive without being intrusive--and he seemed to really enjoy his position, as did the maitress d'. Don't overlook the desserts--especially the chocolate mousse with whipped cream on top. Enough for 2, it won't make you feel guilty if you share:)Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceChiefRonDined on 8/19/2014My wife and i went to celebrate our Anniversery and was extremely satisfied with the service, food preparation and the wine selected by the bar tender. It is a ritual for to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary at a fine restaurant in the Albany area. Would highly recommend Provance to all who would enjoy a top notch dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with FriendsRuthieVIPDined on 8/18/2014I've been to Provence many times and this is one of the few times when I was disappointed. The food was fine, but hardly memorable. And while the service is usually attentive, our server was lackluster. Again, a satisfactory visit but harly outstandingSpecial Features:
- Super surprise in a strip mall!SusanDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I were staying overnight in Albany on our way to the Adirondacks. Our home is in the NY/Philadelphia metro area and were skeptical about French food in Albany. When we saw the strip mall location we wondered again about what the meal would be like. We were totally wrong to be skeptical. The food was authentic, delicious, beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list was sizable and well priced. I wish we lived nearby or had a Provence restaurant near our home - I would be a regular!Special Features:
- NateDined on 8/9/2014This is the kind of restaurant you take out of town guests to for a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent 5 starOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We were first impressed with all the different menu choices. The service was great, food excellent and we also thought the prices were right. My wife especially liked her wine choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Always ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2014The food at Provence is always topnotch and beautifully presented. The menu includes a wide varietry of items and the small portions give you a chance to sample more choices. The reduced price on bottles of wine Sundays and Mondays was wonderful for us since we were there on Sunday evening. Our servers did the best that they could this particular night as more people walked in than expected and there weren't quite enough servers to handle the overflow. We recommend Provence to all our friends who either live in the Capital District area or are visiting there!Special Features:
- A surprise find in a shopping plazamarried43yrsDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I visited on a Thursday night, the outside patio area overlooking the parking lot of Stuyvesant Plaza was very busy on a pleasant summer evening so we chose to sit inside. We shared a bottle of wine and my wife sampled a couple of items from the tapas menu while I ordered the seafood chowder and the rack of lamb, which was excellent. We enjoyed the ambiance and the food very much and definitely plan to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 434 reviews are from the Provence - Albany reviews archive.
- Pricey but goodchipjoDined on 7/21/2014We went here knowing it would be pricey and it is. It was a Monday evening and therefore quiet in the restaurant. The food is really good, portions not large but adequate. The menu selections were interesting, varied and appealing. Overall, for a special occasion, this is a nice place to go and have a unique dining experience. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasantmaullusaDined on 7/20/2014good food, especially good pepper steak, a very good wine list and attentive servers.Special Features:
- sledgesledgeDined on 7/20/2014We had an outdoor Sunday brunch. Food and service both excellent. View was of the Sty Plaza parking lot, but there's not much they can do about that. Still, it was fairly quiet on this mid-day Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No record of reservationBeenAroundAlbanyDined on 7/13/2014We booked our reservation through Open Table for our One Year Anniversary the other night, specifically requesting in the reservation a quiet table. Other reservations were made and all of the open tables we saw were taken. So we begrudgingly accepted a table in the bar area because it was quiet. We ordered a bottle of wine, a couple tapas and apps and the waiter didn't return to take our entrée order. When he delivered the starters, I told him we were ready to order more. I ordered the special scallop entrée for $25 and it included 2 scallops. Two. And some risotto and sauce. My husband's filet mignon was ok. We hoped for more of the delicious bread and pesto sauce, but as our meal progressed, the server didn't return early enoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/9/2014Open Table requests were honored and we had a lovely lunch, nicely paced and speeded up as we needed to leave. Cocktail requests, though unique, were well executed and service was given with pleasant professionalism.Special Features:
- Great food, knowledgeable staffObliqueAnglesDined on 7/7/2014This was my 2nd trip to Provence in two weeks. The previous week was my 1st time at the restaurant. I was so impressed & enjoyed the food so much that I returned this week with 2 daughters. The duck with tart cherries was so delicious & perfectly prepared that I had it both times, as did one daughter who also thought it was heavenly. Other daughter, not so adventurous, ordered the chicken and said it was the best chicken she ever had. Portions were good-sized and filling. Appetizers & desserts were also delicious. Service was excellent both times. The waitstaff is very knowledgeable about the menu & great with recommendations. Prices are a bit higher than average, but worth it. Weeknights are quiet, at least during the summer.Special Features:
- another good mealRonnieHDined on 7/7/2014I eat frequently at Provence. The food is consistently good and the service is cordial.Special Features:
- consistently goodgooutalbanyDined on 7/6/2014We go to Provence about once a month, always with another couple. Its a consistently good experience. Comfortable, can book at the last minute except for major dates (e.g., Valentine's Day) because its such a large space, easy to have conversations and relax over a multi-course meal. Attentive, knowledgable wait staff who remember clients.Special Features:
- Impressive14alnjanDined on 7/6/2014We dined with my cousin and wife on a Sunday late afternoon. Our second time here and my cousin's first. Shared 2 appetizers (fried greenbeans and Pita chips) which were delicious. Bouillabaisse de Provence was my dinner selection and it was excellent. Glad I got the small portion as it was just the right amount of food. Service was excellent and all were quite satisfied. We'll be back.Special Features:
- DreadnoughtDined on 7/6/2014We had a superb dinner at Provence. My wife and I had wanted to take my father and step mom someplace elegant, and Provence fit the bill. It was not an inexpensive dinner, but the restaurant more than justified the cost with outstanding service and quality of the food. The setting is classically elegant and traditional - and we loved it I would thoroughly recommend Provence for any special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, service slow,Halloween13Dined on 6/30/2014The food was very very good. Outstanding menu choices. The staff service seemed slow and not very attentive. We saw one couple leave due to slow service. I believe American's want everything fast, however we are willing to wait for great food. My wife and I were celebrating our second wedding anniversary and even though I had asked on open table for a romantic seat, they sat us in a non-private area. I would return because the food is very good as well as the ambiance.Special Features:
- Favorite French Restaurant - AlbanyYummyWahVIPDined on 6/28/2014Every visit to Provence has been graced with tasty traditional French dishes and professional yet friendly service. The seared Fois Gras is like butter! It may be a vanishing species so enjoy it while you can. One of the specials on our most recent visit was halibut and it was the best preparation of the fish I've ever had -- moist and flavorful. The restaurant is in a mixed use mall but it is the star attraction in our minds. We've been to Provence, France, twice and going to Provence, the restaurant, reminds us of our travels.Special Features:
- one of my favoritesRonnieHDined on 6/26/2014I like eating at Provence during the summer. The noise level is impossible for me indoors, but sitting outside is very pleasant. The food is excellent and the service is excellent, too.Special Features:
- DisappointingEscoffierDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I were looking forward to a good dinner following a long day on the road. We have dined here several times in years past when we have passed through Albany, and we have always enjoyed it. The service was excellent, but the food was lacking. The Tuscan bean soup was very good, but the foie gras preparation with duck confit was, on balance, awful. The confit was delicious, but the foie gras was sparse - perhaps a half ounce portion, which was supplemented by tiny discs of another kind of liver that had been re-fried, and was not edible. Very disappointing for a $23 dish. My husband had an appetizer of smoked salmon with salad. Again, the smoked salmon portion was minuscule, although the salad was fresh and bountiful.
- Great food:-)luv2dineDined on 6/16/2014My family and I dined there the other night, the food was great, waiter was friendly and helpful, would recommend to anyone who likes fine dining at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParisatStuyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014My friend and I enjoyed a lovely early supper at Provence - we dined outside - the food was good - the service was great - and I would certainly want to repeat the experience. It isl be my favorite place to dine with friends.Special Features:
- Great!firstexperienceDined on 6/9/2014This was my first visit and I was very pleased. The food was great and so was the service. I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:
- c'est bon.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/7/2014nice terrace dining in a trendy shopping venue. french classics with nice little wine list. friendly waitstaff.Special Features:
- A bit of France in AlbanyJoePVIPDined on 6/7/2014Provence was quite a nice surprise. It is not often you find an excellent restaurant in a shopping center. This is that rare occasion, and should be no surprise given the location. Our waiter was impeccable with his service, offering good suggestions and frequent checks on us. Our meal, Bouillabaisse was excellent including the appetizers and salad. Atmosphere is beautiful with soft lighting and chandeliers. While we did not get to it this visit, the bar is classic and beautiful. C'est bon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.