11150 East Blvd.
Cleveland, OH 44106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.provenancecleveland.com/
- Phone: 2167072600
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesday and Friday from 5 to 9 p.m.
Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Douglas Katz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by Provenance offers best-in-class catering services for the Cleveland Museum of Art’s unique and breathtaking venues.
For more information, please contact:
Sherri Schultz, Director of Catering
A word from Provenance
Provenance is a 76-seat fine dining restaurant and lounge, located inside the world-renowned Cleveland Museum of Art, that features locally sourced and globally inspired cuisine and a prix fixe menu that complements current museum exhibitions. We accept reservations up to one month in advance to the date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Provenance - Best Restaurants in University Circle ›
Provenance reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (43)fit for foodies (42)scenic view (39)special occasion (36)great for brunch (34)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (17)notable wine list (9)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- JeanDined on 9/24/2014the food was delicious. the ambience was perfect for the evening. the wait staff was knowledgeable and engaging. will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked EntreeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Steak sandwich was overcooked and the french fries were also overcooked.
- Brunch refresherLisaDined on 9/14/2014Chef Katz turns brunch into a learning experience with the introduction of exciting foods such as Nueske bacon and smoked trout. The side table loaded with fruit, salad, and breakfast pastries was an excellent addition to the entree. The scones were deep and dense and the addition of strawberry jam made it a perfect savory/sweet treat. Mini cinnamon buns are much appreciated as they leave room for the main course. Dreamy main dishes fulfilled a brunch lover's quest for the ideal breakfast/lunch combo. We loved the quiet surroundings and the attentive wait staff. It made for the start of a great day! Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this time aroundoneillggDined on 9/12/2014The Cleveland Art Museum has a special place in mine and my husband's heart, but our experience at Provenance this weekend was disappointing. While our small plate cheese selection and scallops were nice, our dinners were a surprising complete disappointment. First, the menu options were a little thin - the seasonal menu is just not that interesting this time around. But when I settled on the steak, I never expected it to be dry, tough, and poorly cooked, while my husband's fish was undercooked. Overall the presentation was also lacking, as the "purple mashed" potatoes came out as an unappetizing gray blob in the middle of the plate. We love the museum, so we will be back, but sadly, it may be just for drinks and appetizers next time.Special Features:
- Superb except for the server.ladarlDined on 9/12/2014We definitely WILL return and bring our friends. The food was amazing! I have never had a better sea scalllop! The menu made selection difficult because we wanted to try it all! The check at the end of the evening was no larger than many other fine restaurants in our area, We LOVED being able to hear each other during the meal without competing with some awful piped in loud background music. Thank you!!! The ambiance in the dining room as well as the table setting offered us elegance with a view. Our server was the only blip in this wonderful experience. She knew HOW to serve, but it wasn't with a smile.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I am reviewing this rating form. I resent being forced to respond to ALL these categories before the form is accepted. Responses to categories 1 and 2 should be sufficient to "qualify" for this exalted ratings form.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchDaveDined on 9/7/2014Food was interesting and very well prepared. My friend got just the chef's table that accompanies the entrees and was more than happy with that. First REAL croissant and ripe melon I can recall at a restaurant in ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceJanetVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was my 2nd time here for lunch. The menu is innovative, and the presentation is very attractive. Quiet, simple room with pretty view.Special Features:
- Art fancaptiveaudienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is a terrific restaurant in the evening in the best venue in Cleveland (the Amazing Art Museum) but lunch on Saturday was terribly disappointing. The roasted pepper soup was good if expensive, but the Grilled Chicken salad was a misnomer. It wasn't bad but there were literally FIVE bites (yes, bites, not pieces) of dry grilled chicken. For $18 that's a pretty high profit and after the combination of full bowl of soup and that salad, I left literally hungry. Chicken is cheap so I hope the restaurant will see the value issue so they can perform as well as they do in the evening.
- Undercooked and overpricedsandyDined on 9/5/2014I thought the walleye was under cooked. The side of squash was also under cooked and bitter. My partner's salmon dinner was better but the salmon was over salted. The view was beautiful and the service was excellent. I also felt that the meal was overpriced.Special Features:
- excellentsylviaDined on 9/5/2014The whole experience was wonderful. Easy parking, nice atmosphere for special occasion, or for a meal during a museum event. Interesting menu and great service. The charcuterie was very good. The beef cut was tender and memorable. The only thing missing was classical music for soundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014I brought 2 friends who'd never been (one Clevelander, one former Clevelander). They loved it. Provenance graciously accommodated our request for a slightly later time than reserved, even tho it was very booked for Labor Day wkend Sunday brunch. It was the perfect place for us so I could combine a great brunch w/a visit to the revamped museum, which my friend visiting from L.A. hadn't seen.Special Features:
- A rewarding experienceartfuldiningDined on 8/30/2014The food was mostly excellent though one of our foursome complained that her sandwich bread was tough and the sauce too hot.Special Features:
- LuvthefoodandserviceGrtdiningexperienceDined on 8/30/2014My walleye dish was superb, delicious & outstanding. However, the steak sandwich that my husband ordered medium rare was well done. The hostess took this back & gave him a medium rare one in exchange. Everybody wasq gracious, courteous & professional. The best part was we were not charged for the steak sandwich. We will definitely come back to Provenance (from Buffalo, NY) the next time we are in town. Thank you for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- menu changeohfrancophileDined on 8/27/2014I lunched at Provenance about a year ago; at that time I was back from my annual extended stay in France; as an ex-New Yorker, I told friends this lunch was the best I had had all year, outside of France and NYC. However, as I mentioned to the server your new menu did not offer, this time, the sophisticated choices and of that really great haut cuisine I experienced the other time. My guest did comment however that the calamari was the best he had ever had.
- Art and lunchFay0o1Dined on 8/26/2014Perfect place to stop and rest your feet in a fantastic way. Stopped in for lunch with a gal-pal during a day of art perusing and thoroughly enjoyed the place. Very good food and wine selection. Very relaxed and friendly wait staff- let us sit and sip our wine and do dessert for an hour after the meal was over without ever feeling rushed to clear the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!CaseEmployeeDined on 8/26/2014This is an excellent restaurant in the Cleveland Museum of Art that not many people in Cleveland know about. It's perfect for anyone working on the east side to have a business lunch or any occasion. The food was excellent and the service was great. I will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Setting & Scallops top-notchEJGeroDined on 8/26/2014Finally - a chef knows how to cook (as in, not over-cook) and present scallops! Like I know how to, at home. This was a fine dining experience and nice meeting place for good friends who work in opposite ends of the University Circle area. Would like to come back when we're off the clock so that we can examine that wine list. Design elements in the room (partitions) brought the ambient noise way down, which was great for conversation.Special Features:
- Great for quiet birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Friends and my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed his birthday dinner--with elegant cocktails that we took pictures of and shared appetizer and marvelous, fresh entrees. Oh, and the desserts were fantastic.Special Features:
- ChasDined on 8/21/2014Provenance is a wonderful addition to our beautiful art museum! The menu selections are always very unusual and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful BrunchMagicianDined on 8/17/2014This was our 1st time to Provenance and we loved everything about it. The food was outstanding and the dining room was just the right size. It was quiet, we could have a nice private conversation while we dined without having to shout at each other over the noise so common in many restaurants these days. The service was great and our server very attentive and was even to tell us the story about the statue outside the window. We will return!Special Features:
- AugOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014To recommend Provence to a friend I would have to qualify it. I believe that you are grossly overpriced. Really, $10-12 for two scallops?? While the food taste was very good, you simply have too much fine dining competition in the area that is much better priced. On our next visit we will try the grill; hopefully they are not competing with you.Special Features:
- Food Art at Cleveland Museum of ArtLocalFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Very special lunch. The food is truly a step above and the service very good. How can the atmosphere miss when you're in the Cleveland Museum of Art?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceFitnessPleaseVIPDined on 8/6/2014The waitress was not good. I asked for fresh ground pepper, and she never came, and I did not want to keep my friend waiting, so I ate the salad with table pepper, which I COULD GET AT HOME. When I told her about it, no sympathy, and she was very flat. Her tip could have been way better, but I convinced my friend DO NOT DARE give her a good tip. I don't know if we will be back.Special Features:
- Group lunch funFitfillyDined on 8/6/2014My book group came here for lunch. We had a tasty meal and a wonderful discussion in the quiet serenity of this place. Lovely. We had a nice waitress too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteFavoriteDined on 7/25/2014Provenance is a favorite place for lunch with my family. We enjoy the changing g menu to compliment the current exhibit at the museum.Special Features:
- ProvenanceElaineDined on 7/24/2014I try to take my out of town guests to this restaurant. It is good food in a nice location. Very easy to then spend time in the museum. It is interesting to see what will be on the menu with trying to use the foods in season. My guest loved everything she ordered. I thought my cold cucumber soup was too bland. Loved the pedant butter mouse cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not on Fire ...AnonymousDined on 7/23/2014Big fan of Doug Katz, but won't hurry back to Provenance. The food was, overall, tasty and in keeping with the mission of local, seasonal, but very pricey for the portions.Special Features:
- Great brunch experiencequintessaDined on 7/20/2014Provenance offers a relaxing and elegant dining atmosphere with good service and very interesting menu choices for brunch. The bacon was excellent and the buffet table of fruit and pastry offerings was fresh and tasty. This was my third time here for brunch and I was not disappointed and plant to keep returning!!Special Features:
- Brunch & YogaMrandMrsB628Dined on 7/20/2014My wife practices yoga and the CMA's Exibit Yoga The Art Of Transformation was of particular interest to her. Brunch at Provenance was perfect. The chefs table features fresh greens, fruits and beautiful pasteries. The menu offers something for everyone. My wife and I enjoyed the crab quiche. Our adult children loved the scrambled eggs and bacon and the chicken salad. Such a little gem among masterpieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProvenanceProvDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I came to celebrate our 5th anniversary and the service was fantastic. We really enjoyed the drink selection and the food was fabulous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2014The brunch menu is varied but small, and the system of including a carb-heavy continental breakfast buffet with any main dish is a bit odd. Very pleasant atmosphere and good service. We were very happy with one main dish, happy but not overwhelmed by the second, and a bit disappointed in the third. Unfortunately the bellini was actually pear (which was not noted on the menu) and was very mediocre.Special Features:
- Birthday lunch3fordinnerDined on 7/3/2014What a beautiful setting for a restaurant. Just the walk from the entrance of CMA to dining area is enchanting. The scallop salad which we both had was very good and we were able to enjoy it at our leisure. Waitress and staff were very attentive. Will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunchjeansterDined on 6/29/2014I was slightly disappointed in my entree, but the buffet table was outstanding: croissants, gougere, artichoke heart salad, cinnamon roll...extensive choices of fruit and other pastries. Our table and server were very nice. It was quiet and uncrowded when we were there, first thing in the morning. Excellent coffee. And my plate was rounded off with an interesting bicolor carrot slaw with citrus marinade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service issuesbookfiendDined on 6/28/2014Service was slow, even though the restaurant was not busy. Server didn't seem to know how to tell when we were finished and kept asking us if we were done even though food remained on plate are our forks were in our hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treat for every sensegreatDined on 6/27/2014Dinner at Provenance is completely delightful. The setting is extraordinarily beautiful; the presentation of food is a work of art; every course is delicious (every bite is outstanding!); the service is gracious, friendly and unpretentious; and the wine list is reasonably priced and has a combination of reliable and interesting choices (the Torrontes we tried was excellent).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to University CircleSmilinBrownsFanVIPDined on 6/25/2014Great Wednesday evening meal at Provenance. Fantastic location in Cleveland Museum of Art and easy access to the outstanding Gallery One! Group of four enjoyed the mussels, risotto and salmon. Service by Erin was very nice! We'll look forward to our return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the Cleveland Art Museumlive2eatDined on 6/25/2014I was thrilled to see Lake Erie walleye on the menu. I ordered the fish without the spicy Peruvian sauce and the walleye and vegetables were absolutely delicious. Our waitress Lauren was very attentive, refilling the iced tea, bringing more butter, and clearing the plates promptly. With the beautiful outdoor view, it made for a romantic,very satisfying lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Lunch Spot in the CircleJerryDined on 6/24/2014Provenance is a perfect spot for lunch in University Circle, whether for business or just meeting friends. The staff are very attentive, but not intrusive. The ambiance is very relaxing and conducive to good conversation with your lunch guests. The menu is limited but varied - something for everyone's tastes. And hey, after lunch you can enjoy one of the worlds great art museums!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Nice atmosphere enjoyed the museum after Fathers Day brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.