300 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prospectsf.com/
- Phone: 415-247-7770x1
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:15pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday-Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Closed Sundays
HAPPY HOUR DRINKS: Monday-Friday 12:00pm - 6:00pm
HAPPY HOUR FOOD: Monday-Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
BAR MENU: 5:30pm - close, nightly in bar & lounge area
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pamela Mazzola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Now serving Weekday Lunch! 11:30 to 2:15, Monday through Friday
Award winning fine dining happy hour on Weekdays:
drinks from noon to 6pm on weekdays and snacks from 4pm to 6pm Monday through Friday
Bar Menu now served daily exclusively in the Bar and Lounge area from 5:30 - closing
- Special Events: Please contact Naomi Smith, Director of Private Dining & Events
300 Spear Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
A word from Prospect
Prospect is a more casual dining hall from the team behind San Francisco's acclaimed Boulevard. Partners Nancy Oakes (James Beard award-winning chef/owner of Boulevard), Pam Mazzola and Kathy King, have created a convivial venue that pays tribute to contemporary American cuisine. Whether it's a cocktail and a bite at the bar, a casual meal at the communal table, or a relaxed lunch or dinner in the main dining room, guest can enjoy the full menu and exceptional service. Designed by Brand + Allen Architects, the loft-like space is warmed by earth tones, natural fibers, and reclaimed wood, while unique elements like artisan-crafted wrought iron chandeliers add distinctive character to the impressive dimensions. A separate dining room is available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prospect reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (97)good for groups (67)notable wine list (61)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (45)romantic (38)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014My brother's halibut was fantastic. My salmon was sort of half cooked - not cooked enough to be "cooked", not raw enough to be sashimi, just kind of a big pile of mush - awful. I should have said something but isn't - the people were nice and all that and I didn't want to make a scene.
- Nice Work Lunch OptionsBizzybeeDined on 9/23/2014I took a couple of coworkers here to celebrate a deadline that had just passed. The menu looked great and it was hard to decide. I had the scallop risotto and loved it. My coworkers had the steak and pork ramen. Both of which were delicious. The staff was very attentive and the booths were big and comfortable. Very nice atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner at Prospect is greatAlbertDined on 9/20/2014Our group of five had a small celebration and we chose Prospect. The service was good, the cocktails terrific, and the food, as always, excellent. We continue to recommend Prospect to our friends and acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Business LunchChrisDined on 9/17/2014The menu was fantastic. It was especially loaded with local tastes and offered quite a variety. Everyone had a different lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed. The food quality easily matched the price. Wonderful experience,Special Features:
- A long time comingRadarVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was tasty, service good, not packed, able to speak easily and ambiance was modern and comfortable. We started with a cocktail from their specialty list and for me, a little too slanted to the amber liqueurs but found an interesting tequila drink and it was very nice and refreshing. Tasted better than the ingredient list. We then split two salads, one being the heirloom tomato and burata which was good but nothing special. You can get that salad anywhere now and really needed to be bumped up a level. However, the summer melon salad with cucumber and avocado was outstanding. We then had the Halibut served over a carrot and pea melange was also very tasty. Desert was a simple sundae but also rich and tasty.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, PricyDeeDubDined on 9/13/2014Great ambiance, food and service. Beautiful food presentation. It was a bit expensive given portion size. A $5 reduction in entree' and salad prices would bring it more in line with comparable restaurants. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Disappointing!DocBDined on 9/13/2014Seated promptly for 7pm reservation. Waited 15 minutes before we saw the waitperson. Waited 20 minutes for drinks we ordered! We had high hopes for the food being the restaurant is associated with Boulevard, but were highly disappointed. Would not return!
- Great Stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014If you are in the area and looking for a great place to eat... this is the place. Great service, great food, what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- One of SF's gemsButtersDined on 9/13/2014There are many great restaurants in the Bay Area and specifically in SF. Choosing a place to dine to celebrate a special occasion can be hard when trying to choose from so many wonderful places in the BA/SF. Prospect is one of those restaurants that has and will remain on our "special occasion" go-to places and it has been that way since we read the first review of this wonderful place. From the moment of entering Prospect, guest are warmly welcomed. The service and food - from appetizer to entree and dessert were just terrific. Both of us had a meat dish and the cuts were generous and tender. Dessert may be their weakest point but that is only due to comparing it to the wonderful entree and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawaiianFoodsterDined on 9/11/2014Excellent Seared Scallops with grilled white eggplant, good combination. Malted Vanilla ice cream sundae with brown sugar marshmallow fluff was delish, especially the attention to detail with the slight "brulee" of the marshmallow, you can really taste the "malted" flavor in the ice cream. Pork Chop was succulent, moist, tender, and flavorful, cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The décor was striking but led to a major noise level. The service was fine, but the food was mediocre for all 5 of us. Certainly not up to the hype of the price.Special Features:
- Pleasant But Too Loud1060NicholasDined on 9/9/2014The wait staff was impressive and provided some thoughtful touches for a birthday celebration. The food was good but not at all fantastic. What spoiled my evening is that my daughter and I had to keep repeating ourselves because the noise level was so high--and we had a remote table in the rear of the restaurant. In sum, I would be willing to give it another try...maybe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great2fansDined on 9/9/2014The decor is hard edge and a little cold. The food was well prepared, but the portions are small given the price. While we enjoyed our meal, we are not in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- Always reliableMargotDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is now our local, so we are truly blessed. So far I have tried the salmon, the halibut and the steak. All enjoyable, albeit the steak was a bit large, so I had to take half home for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ):OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014It will be perfect if the French waitress smile more! and don t ask at my girl friend if she want more extra in the plate for to do more tips ): bad altitude !!!Special Features:
- Great foodPearDined on 8/30/2014The food was wonderful - every dish our party had looked and tasted great. The wine was also good, but the waiting staff lacked knowledge about the wines, even the wine waiter, and weren't able to give us helpful recommendations.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner or drinksNikaDined on 8/27/2014Best service! One of the best places in SF to meet with friends during the week. Great drinks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodanonDined on 8/27/2014The food here is truly extraordinary. I had the best ever chilled Gazpacho soup for an appetizer and just the most perfectly cooked Halibuit. The ambiance was very Manhattan chic with a gracious and friendly staff. The noise level was fine when we arrived but later it got higher when the restaurant was packed but still not as bad as the Boulevard Restaurant. The waitress and busboys were friendly but very slow in service and response to requests suggesting they were understaffed for a full dining room or an inadequate lack of training. They were just not professional for a restaurant of this quality and expense.Special Features:
- RitaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Prospect is one of San Francisco's top restaurants in every way.Special Features:
- Excellent food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I went with 2 colleagues during lunch. Had a table booked and were seated right away. All the food we ordered was excellent, though the 'lettuces' salad was a bit disconcerting since it literally was, only lettuce. My main course was the ravioli, which was in a delicious truffle sauce- highly recommended, though important to remember that, as is often the case with ravioli, the plate contains only 5 of them. You will be hungry if that is all you order! The main problem was that, while our appetizers came right away, we waited about 45-50 minutes for our food to come- so if this is a break from work, you could be there for a while. Restaurant is large, but was full, though not yet when we arrived at 12:15. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningontownDined on 8/21/20144 of us had a most memorable evening. The wine list was excellent, matched by the food and all surrounded by gracious service. Now at the top of our list of great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Booked Prospect on the recommendation of a friend. Excellent food, wine and service! The restaurant had a great vibe. We had a great time! A must if you are visting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent but Forgettable LunchInExileVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was good but unremarkable. The service was attentive, professional and deserves good marks. The decor is "urban chic", which translates to generally uncomfortable and minimalist. The restaurant suffers I think from having several better options within a block's walk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prospect does Nancy Oakes WellkendulaneyVIPDined on 8/16/2014However the venue is a bit sterile an not as warm as Boulevards. Between the two, hard to beat Boulevards. The food is excellent however and deserving of a Chronicle Top 100 listing.Special Features:
- Prospect is a real gemMargotDined on 8/16/2014We've just arrived in SF from Sydney and have decided to work our way through the SF Chronicle's top 100 restaurant list. So glad we started our journey here. Jason was our waiter and was very attentive, the wine list was comprehensive and the food innovative. We will be back many times I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with cousinGinnyDined on 8/12/2014All four of us loved our evening. They know how to prepare fish.Special Features:
- Just an average JoeLincolnFordDined on 8/8/2014If you come to the Prospect, you need to look the part or the service is about at the level of rude. The food outshines the service, the roasted beets and New York Strip can make a night. The desserts are just average and do not put that exclamation point on the night. The service could not get the special requests right - people with allergies bewareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The extra details and service rpovided by Susan and staff made our daughter's 16th birthday very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go!ChowManDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant was packed on a friday night; but we were seated within 5 minuets of our reserved time. There are great menu selections and various choices from the wine list. Excellent service and an overall superb dining experience considering how busy they were. Also truly enjoyed having the courteous and inexpensive front door valet service and not having to drive around looking for an expensive parking garage and walking to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatOL2HVIPDined on 8/4/2014Prospect is one of our most favorite restaurants in SF. We returned this week with out-of-town guests and had another amazing meal. We particularly enjoyed the Beef Tartare, the Sole, and the Pork loin. Service is always exceptional. Five stars, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingejmcDined on 8/1/2014Prospect lived up to the hype. I was in San Francisco for a long weekend, and did a lot of research before making my reservations. Prospect was the best meal of our trip. It was amazing. We had dinner there on a Friday night, and the entire meal was perfectly executed. I had the heirloom tomato salad to start, which sounds simple, and was, but was also incredible. For a main course I had the pork. It was fantastic. Our server was great, helpful selecting a wine, friendly, but unobtrusive. Fantastic restaurant, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Celebratory DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We came here to celebrate 2 momentous occasions with my friend and her new fiance. This review only pertains to the appetizers and drink menu. The food was pretty good. We ordered about half of the happy hour menu (past the happy hour price). The drinks were good as well. However, the price was very high. We ended up spending approx. $350 on drinks and appetizers alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Propsect is greatmediadlsVIPDined on 7/29/2014SI think we have a new restaurant in our San Francisco rotation!Special Features:
- Delicious foodDreaDined on 7/29/2014The food was so good, we came back two additional nights in a row for our trip!Special Features:
- Great TimePatrickVIPDined on 7/25/2014Always exceptional dining... service can be great and can be mediocre. I have been many times, this was my second mediocre service. Fortunately my guests and the food out shined this hic-cup. I still highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Boulevard is betterDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014I was really excited to take my parents to Prospect because they (rightfully) loved Boulevard and my dad still talks about its amazing pork chop. Prospect was disappointing: very noisy, with a fussy menu. However, the big reason I docked it was because we kept watching delicious-looking burgers come out of the kitchen, and upon request the waitress informed us that they were only available at the bar (which started literally one table behind us, apparently). She refused to let us order the burgers unless we moved to a table "in the bar". It was an arbitrary rule that was really frustrating - especially as the burgers seemed to be the best thing there.
- Food great, service blehe7ee7eDined on 7/24/2014My first time at Prospect and I really enjoyed the ambiance and food. Spacious dining room, no awkwardly placed tables where other people's conversations intrude your own. Food was beautiful and substantial. No single pea on a plate in the name of art presentations here. The food was well-balanced and I would definitely go back...with a different server. Every interaction was reeking of hostility. He misheard my appetizer order and when I tried to explain that a mistake was made, he cut me off and essentially said "yeah yeah yeah". I couldn't help but stare him down and at that point I think he recognized that he had stepped over the line. But even after this offense, his "friendliness" just came across as fake and off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014There were four for dinner. one liked his dinner very much. The rest of us thought the menu was "precious" not straight forward and not to our liking. Our waiter was awful and we spoke to the manager/owner about his non service. The tartar was so salty ...mixed with cheese...it was not eatable. It is a very beautiful space and busy but we will not go back again.Special Features:
- Impressed again!!MBOysterguyDined on 7/19/2014This was a very special occasion, although we were celebrating all we could talk about was the food. We had 6 people dining, -staff doted on our every need. -very clean, fresh, hip, artistic, romantic but still fun. -Started at the bar and tested the poor staff (they seemed happy!) to make almost every drink on their special drink list, A+. -Wine for dinner and the Sommelier hit home runs with her recommended selections, She has all of my trust!! -Food was amazing, each course proved to be different and unique in its own way. Constantly passed loaded forks across the table for all to try. New York Strip A++ Patrale sole & Halibut A+ Kobe tartare A++ Sashimi A+ bring appetite so you can try it all, flavors dance at this joint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prospect: Not quite top of the listMtttyDined on 7/18/2014The food was excellent. The ambience was fine, but not outstanding. It just sort of missed on being an outstanding experience; the little added touches such as a chef's treat at either the beginning or end of the meal, were missing.Special Features: