300 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prospectsf.com/
- Phone: 415-247-7770x1
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:15pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm - 10pm Friday-Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Closed Sundays
HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
BAR MENU: 5:30pm - close, nightly in bar & lounge area
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pamela Mazzola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Now serving Weekday Lunch! 11:30 to 2:15, Monday through Friday
Award winning fine dining happy hour on Weekdays:
drinks and snacks from 4pm to 6pm Monday through Friday
Bar Menu now served daily exclusively in the Bar and Lounge area from 5:30 - closing
- Special Events: Please contact Naomi Smith, Director of Private Dining & Events
300 Spear Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Cross Street: Folsom
- Public Transit: MUNI N or T light rail to Embarcadero and Folsom,
MUNI Bus to Temporary Transbay Terminal
BART to Embarcadero
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet (Dinner ONLY, $12), street parking (metered), nearby garages (Steuart Street Garage and Hills Bro's Plaza Garage)
A word from Prospect
Prospect is a more casual dining hall from the team behind San Francisco's acclaimed Boulevard. Partners Nancy Oakes (James Beard award-winning chef/owner of Boulevard), Pam Mazzola and Kathy King, have created a convivial venue that pays tribute to contemporary American cuisine. Whether it's a cocktail and a bite at the bar, a casual meal at the communal table, or a relaxed lunch or dinner in the main dining room, guest can enjoy the full menu and exceptional service. Designed by Brand + Allen Architects, the loft-like space is warmed by earth tones, natural fibers, and reclaimed wood, while unique elements like artisan-crafted wrought iron chandeliers add distinctive character to the impressive dimensions. A separate dining room is available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prospect reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (101)good for groups (68)notable wine list (68)vibrant bar scene (64)hot spot (52)romantic (44)great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (27)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Kitchen is slowJanetDined on 10/27/2014So the food was really good, but the wait between appetizers and main were really long. When the main courses finally came only 6 were brought to the table, the other 2 people had more waiting. Sort of ackward. The room is great, and the reception people were really welcoming. This place has been open to long for such rooky mistakes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Great food. Nice restaurant. Location is kinda empty on a Saturday night (but everything is in the Financial District). Got the beef carpaccio - delicious :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!cherie123Dined on 10/25/2014Great special occasion or date night dining! The scallops were tremendous, some of the best I have ever eaten. The burrata and tomato appetizer was excellent as well. Loved the streak for main course, portions very generous. Others at our table raved about the pork chop. Desserts are quite varied and delicious, the best being the popcorn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing - no need to go backfrenchbistroloversDined on 10/25/2014food did not quite measure up. salad overdressed, escargot dry and tasteless. service was lacking. difficult to get anyone to check on meal or even to get the check. overall, disappointing.
- A Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/23/2014Great location, food and service. They really understand how to run a very nice restaurant and bar. The staff really makes you feel welcomed. We enjoyed both a steak and a salmon dish. They were done to perfection. Unfortunately we were not hungry enough to order appetizers, but when we return I will have to sample one or two, as they seemed to be very interesting.Special Features:
- Happy guyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014I had a customer dinner and it was a very nice spot. Good drinks, nice atmosphere, and good food. Not to mention the great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding!littleman23Dined on 10/21/2014Just an amazing meal. Had been to sister restaurant Boulevard before, but this was my first visit to Prospect. I was not disappointed. My meal (pork chop) was absolutely delicious. My mom and cousin ordered and enjoyed the swordfish. I will definitely be making a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/18/2014It was our first time at Prospect, and we were there to celebrate our anniversary. We really appreciated the friendly staff and excellent service from our waitress. The hostess even stopped by during our dinner to check in and greet us a happy anniversary. My husband had the pork chops and I had the Kobe bavette. Both were excellent. Hubby said it was the best pork chop he's ever had. We also had the crudo and heirloom tomato salad. Both very good and fresh. For dessert, we opted for the apple pie sundae. Oh my. It was so good, and what a great way to end an outstanding meal. The restaurant comped our dessert (thank you!) and also gave us yummy mini chocolate treats. Overall, Prospect delivered on all levels. We will be back often.
- High on my list - lunch or dinnerrkssDined on 10/16/2014For lunch or dinner, this is a gem with combinations and varieties that are always new and exciting. With a daily changing menu, you can always find something new. Unlike Nancy Oakes' other restaurant, Boulevard, his space is larger, good for larger groups and a more energetic spot. And the food is definitely top quality. I have many food allergies and they were great in working with my restrictions and adjusting dishes. Definitely a place to try - one of my favoritesSpecial Features:
- Gluten sensitive friendlyTRB10Dined on 10/15/2014Sometimes it is hard for those with gluten intolerance to eat out. Not here, in addition to a fine selection of dishes without gluten, the kitchen was willing and able to modify for me. 5 stars for that. However, the meal was phenomenal regardless of the gluten issue. The best swordfish I have had and the scallop/eggplant app was remarkable. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did I not find it sooner?Evergreen888VIPDined on 10/15/2014Prospect is another gem from Nancy Oakes. The menu was great (hard to choose what to pick), and my salad was delicious (although sadly, when I asked to substitute goat cheese for gorgonzola/blue, I got brie instead - I am not sure whether that was a mistake, or if the chef thought brie would go better with the apples in the salad). The fries were interesting (never had such thick, square cut fries) and good as well, particularly with coarse ground salt. Would have loved to try one of the tempting desserts - was full from fries!Special Features:
- great food, slow paceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/14/2014For a Tuesday PM dinner at 7:30 PM the restaurant was busy; the food was great albeit a really long wait between appetizers and entrees for our party of 3. Would definitely return... fish entree was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kobe Barrete (?)skoomsDined on 10/10/2014I wish I wasn't full after I ate this because I would have gotten another one. Very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food!tddinerVIPDined on 10/8/2014Our meals were so delicious, we had to go back. Our second try was even better. Service was impeccable. My new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceLocalDinerDined on 10/8/2014This is the third time I've eaten at Prospect. All three times the food has been excellent as has the service. I went for dinner with a couple of friends this visit. We came early for happy hour and then ate dinner. Excellent selection of wines and delicious appetizers. Dinner was also very good. I'll be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMargotDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant is now our local as we we live above. Despite plenty of other local options we keep going back because the service is very good and the food is well executed. Whilst the flavours are not pushing any boundaries, the quality and execution are up there with the other top 100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner <3honieiceteaDined on 10/2/2014The food portions are small for what you pay for. However, the quality was very fresh. We loved the tomatoes that were freshly picked. I couldn't rely on Yelp or other sites to order my dishes because the menu changes depending on the season and what is fresh. The salad can be missed but the Pork was amazing. We would go back just for the pork. I had the Kobe and it was "lean" which is not marbleized glaze of fat that you would expect when you order Kobe. I was disappointed. The butterscotch cake was very rich and complemented well with the peach. I didn't like the mint ice cream because it wasn't the kind I was use to. It was the real mint leaves style. It was good for what it was but it wasn't my style.Special Features:
- Great Ambienceitalia2sfDined on 9/29/2014The hostess seated us promptly and we were quite happy with our table. We had been here before but it had been a while. Started with Oysters and wine which was a great beginning. Two different salads to follow, both which were average and not particularly exciting. My husband's pork chop was very delicious and my chicken was basic but good. The server was pleasant but a bit lackluster. We asked for recommendations and he said he 'liked everything'. Hmm...lame response. The main issue was the LONG absences from the table...and dining room. It was a bit odd and quite irritating by the end of the meal. Overall we did enjoy the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KandiDined on 9/29/2014Food was prepared in an innovative way. Fusion of tastes and texturesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and experiencecefsteen11Dined on 9/27/2014Our waitress was wonderful and every course of food was delicious and uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againSFnativeVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was my second time dining @ Prospect. The service is uneven- slow to deliver drinks and food (my entree arrived cold). Yet at the end of the meal we were bombarded with staff inquiring if we were finished. All in all a bad experience.Special Features:
- foodmk52Dined on 9/25/2014My brother's halibut was fantastic. My salmon was sort of half cooked - not cooked enough to be "cooked", not raw enough to be sashimi, just kind of a big pile of mush - awful. I should have said something but isn't - the people were nice and all that and I didn't want to make a scene.
- OK this time, but not specialAnitaMWDined on 9/23/2014I brought a group of friends to Prospect because I remembered an interesting menu, great food, and special service when we were here a little while after it first opened. This time, I was disappointed. The menu wasn't very interesting, the food was good, the service fine but nothing special. I don't know what has happened in the meantime, but it wasn't special.
- Nice Work Lunch OptionsBizzybeeDined on 9/23/2014I took a couple of coworkers here to celebrate a deadline that had just passed. The menu looked great and it was hard to decide. I had the scallop risotto and loved it. My coworkers had the steak and pork ramen. Both of which were delicious. The staff was very attentive and the booths were big and comfortable. Very nice atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner at Prospect is greatAlbertDined on 9/20/2014Our group of five had a small celebration and we chose Prospect. The service was good, the cocktails terrific, and the food, as always, excellent. We continue to recommend Prospect to our friends and acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Business LunchChrisDined on 9/17/2014The menu was fantastic. It was especially loaded with local tastes and offered quite a variety. Everyone had a different lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed. The food quality easily matched the price. Wonderful experience,Special Features:
- A long time comingRadarVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was tasty, service good, not packed, able to speak easily and ambiance was modern and comfortable. We started with a cocktail from their specialty list and for me, a little too slanted to the amber liqueurs but found an interesting tequila drink and it was very nice and refreshing. Tasted better than the ingredient list. We then split two salads, one being the heirloom tomato and burata which was good but nothing special. You can get that salad anywhere now and really needed to be bumped up a level. However, the summer melon salad with cucumber and avocado was outstanding. We then had the Halibut served over a carrot and pea melange was also very tasty. Desert was a simple sundae but also rich and tasty.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, PricyDeeDubDined on 9/13/2014Great ambiance, food and service. Beautiful food presentation. It was a bit expensive given portion size. A $5 reduction in entree' and salad prices would bring it more in line with comparable restaurants. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Disappointing!DocBDined on 9/13/2014Seated promptly for 7pm reservation. Waited 15 minutes before we saw the waitperson. Waited 20 minutes for drinks we ordered! We had high hopes for the food being the restaurant is associated with Boulevard, but were highly disappointed. Would not return!
- Great Stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014If you are in the area and looking for a great place to eat... this is the place. Great service, great food, what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- One of SF's gemsButtersDined on 9/13/2014There are many great restaurants in the Bay Area and specifically in SF. Choosing a place to dine to celebrate a special occasion can be hard when trying to choose from so many wonderful places in the BA/SF. Prospect is one of those restaurants that has and will remain on our "special occasion" go-to places and it has been that way since we read the first review of this wonderful place. From the moment of entering Prospect, guest are warmly welcomed. The service and food - from appetizer to entree and dessert were just terrific. Both of us had a meat dish and the cuts were generous and tender. Dessert may be their weakest point but that is only due to comparing it to the wonderful entree and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawaiianFoodsterDined on 9/11/2014Excellent Seared Scallops with grilled white eggplant, good combination. Malted Vanilla ice cream sundae with brown sugar marshmallow fluff was delish, especially the attention to detail with the slight "brulee" of the marshmallow, you can really taste the "malted" flavor in the ice cream. Pork Chop was succulent, moist, tender, and flavorful, cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The décor was striking but led to a major noise level. The service was fine, but the food was mediocre for all 5 of us. Certainly not up to the hype of the price.Special Features:
- Pleasant But Too Loud1060NicholasDined on 9/9/2014The wait staff was impressive and provided some thoughtful touches for a birthday celebration. The food was good but not at all fantastic. What spoiled my evening is that my daughter and I had to keep repeating ourselves because the noise level was so high--and we had a remote table in the rear of the restaurant. In sum, I would be willing to give it another try...maybe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great2fansDined on 9/9/2014The decor is hard edge and a little cold. The food was well prepared, but the portions are small given the price. While we enjoyed our meal, we are not in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- Always reliableMargotDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is now our local, so we are truly blessed. So far I have tried the salmon, the halibut and the steak. All enjoyable, albeit the steak was a bit large, so I had to take half home for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ):OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014It will be perfect if the French waitress smile more! and don t ask at my girl friend if she want more extra in the plate for to do more tips ): bad altitude !!!Special Features:
- Great foodPearDined on 8/30/2014The food was wonderful - every dish our party had looked and tasted great. The wine was also good, but the waiting staff lacked knowledge about the wines, even the wine waiter, and weren't able to give us helpful recommendations.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner or drinksNikaDined on 8/27/2014Best service! One of the best places in SF to meet with friends during the week. Great drinks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodanonVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food here is truly extraordinary. I had the best ever chilled Gazpacho soup for an appetizer and just the most perfectly cooked Halibuit. The ambiance was very Manhattan chic with a gracious and friendly staff. The noise level was fine when we arrived but later it got higher when the restaurant was packed but still not as bad as the Boulevard Restaurant. The waitress and busboys were friendly but very slow in service and response to requests suggesting they were understaffed for a full dining room or an inadequate lack of training. They were just not professional for a restaurant of this quality and expense.Special Features: