300 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prospectsf.com/
- Phone: 415-247-7770x1
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:15pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday-Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Closed Sundays
HAPPY HOUR DRINKS: Monday-Friday 12:00pm - 6:00pm
HAPPY HOUR FOOD: Monday-Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
BAR MENU: 5:30pm - close, nightly in bar & lounge area
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pamela Mazzola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Now serving Weekday Lunch! 11:30 to 2:15, Monday through Friday
Award winning fine dining happy hour on Weekdays:
drinks from noon to 6pm on weekdays and snacks from 4pm to 6pm Monday through Friday
Bar Menu now served daily exclusively in the Bar and Lounge area from 5:30 - closing
- Special Events: Please contact Naomi Smith, Director of Private Dining & Events
300 Spear Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
A word from Prospect
Prospect is a more casual dining hall from the team behind San Francisco's acclaimed Boulevard. Partners Nancy Oakes (James Beard award-winning chef/owner of Boulevard), Pam Mazzola and Kathy King, have created a convivial venue that pays tribute to contemporary American cuisine. Whether it's a cocktail and a bite at the bar, a casual meal at the communal table, or a relaxed lunch or dinner in the main dining room, guest can enjoy the full menu and exceptional service. Designed by Brand + Allen Architects, the loft-like space is warmed by earth tones, natural fibers, and reclaimed wood, while unique elements like artisan-crafted wrought iron chandeliers add distinctive character to the impressive dimensions. A separate dining room is available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prospect reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (94)good for groups (63)notable wine list (58)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (45)great for lunch (34)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (30)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great place for dinner or drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Best service! One of the best places in SF to meet with friends during the week. Great drinks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodanonDined on 8/27/2014The food here is truly extraordinary. I had the best ever chilled Gazpacho soup for an appetizer and just the most perfectly cooked Halibuit. The ambiance was very Manhattan chic with a gracious and friendly staff. The noise level was fine when we arrived but later it got higher when the restaurant was packed but still not as bad as the Boulevard Restaurant. The waitress and busboys were friendly but very slow in service and response to requests suggesting they were understaffed for a full dining room or an inadequate lack of training. They were just not professional for a restaurant of this quality and expense.Special Features:
- RitaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Prospect is one of San Francisco's top restaurants in every way.Special Features:
- Excellent food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I went with 2 colleagues during lunch. Had a table booked and were seated right away. All the food we ordered was excellent, though the 'lettuces' salad was a bit disconcerting since it literally was, only lettuce. My main course was the ravioli, which was in a delicious truffle sauce- highly recommended, though important to remember that, as is often the case with ravioli, the plate contains only 5 of them. You will be hungry if that is all you order! The main problem was that, while our appetizers came right away, we waited about 45-50 minutes for our food to come- so if this is a break from work, you could be there for a while. Restaurant is large, but was full, though not yet when we arrived at 12:15. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/20144 of us had a most memorable evening. The wine list was excellent, matched by the food and all surrounded by gracious service. Now at the top of our list of great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Booked Prospect on the recommendation of a friend. Excellent food, wine and service! The restaurant had a great vibe. We had a great time! A must if you are visting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent but Forgettable LunchInExileVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was good but unremarkable. The service was attentive, professional and deserves good marks. The decor is "urban chic", which translates to generally uncomfortable and minimalist. The restaurant suffers I think from having several better options within a block's walk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prospect does Nancy Oakes WellkendulaneyVIPDined on 8/16/2014However the venue is a bit sterile an not as warm as Boulevards. Between the two, hard to beat Boulevards. The food is excellent however and deserving of a Chronicle Top 100 listing.Special Features:
- Prospect is a real gemMargotDined on 8/16/2014We've just arrived in SF from Sydney and have decided to work our way through the SF Chronicle's top 100 restaurant list. So glad we started our journey here. Jason was our waiter and was very attentive, the wine list was comprehensive and the food innovative. We will be back many times I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with cousinGinnyDined on 8/12/2014All four of us loved our evening. They know how to prepare fish.Special Features:
- Just an average JoeLincolnFordDined on 8/8/2014If you come to the Prospect, you need to look the part or the service is about at the level of rude. The food outshines the service, the roasted beets and New York Strip can make a night. The desserts are just average and do not put that exclamation point on the night. The service could not get the special requests right - people with allergies bewareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The extra details and service rpovided by Susan and staff made our daughter's 16th birthday very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go!ChowManDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant was packed on a friday night; but we were seated within 5 minuets of our reserved time. There are great menu selections and various choices from the wine list. Excellent service and an overall superb dining experience considering how busy they were. Also truly enjoyed having the courteous and inexpensive front door valet service and not having to drive around looking for an expensive parking garage and walking to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatOL2HVIPDined on 8/4/2014Prospect is one of our most favorite restaurants in SF. We returned this week with out-of-town guests and had another amazing meal. We particularly enjoyed the Beef Tartare, the Sole, and the Pork loin. Service is always exceptional. Five stars, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingejmcDined on 8/1/2014Prospect lived up to the hype. I was in San Francisco for a long weekend, and did a lot of research before making my reservations. Prospect was the best meal of our trip. It was amazing. We had dinner there on a Friday night, and the entire meal was perfectly executed. I had the heirloom tomato salad to start, which sounds simple, and was, but was also incredible. For a main course I had the pork. It was fantastic. Our server was great, helpful selecting a wine, friendly, but unobtrusive. Fantastic restaurant, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Celebratory DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We came here to celebrate 2 momentous occasions with my friend and her new fiance. This review only pertains to the appetizers and drink menu. The food was pretty good. We ordered about half of the happy hour menu (past the happy hour price). The drinks were good as well. However, the price was very high. We ended up spending approx. $350 on drinks and appetizers alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Propsect is greatmediadlsVIPDined on 7/29/2014SI think we have a new restaurant in our San Francisco rotation!Special Features:
- Delicious foodDreaDined on 7/29/2014The food was so good, we came back two additional nights in a row for our trip!Special Features:
- Great TimePatrickVIPDined on 7/25/2014Always exceptional dining... service can be great and can be mediocre. I have been many times, this was my second mediocre service. Fortunately my guests and the food out shined this hic-cup. I still highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Boulevard is betterDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014I was really excited to take my parents to Prospect because they (rightfully) loved Boulevard and my dad still talks about its amazing pork chop. Prospect was disappointing: very noisy, with a fussy menu. However, the big reason I docked it was because we kept watching delicious-looking burgers come out of the kitchen, and upon request the waitress informed us that they were only available at the bar (which started literally one table behind us, apparently). She refused to let us order the burgers unless we moved to a table "in the bar". It was an arbitrary rule that was really frustrating - especially as the burgers seemed to be the best thing there.
- Food great, service blehe7ee7eDined on 7/24/2014My first time at Prospect and I really enjoyed the ambiance and food. Spacious dining room, no awkwardly placed tables where other people's conversations intrude your own. Food was beautiful and substantial. No single pea on a plate in the name of art presentations here. The food was well-balanced and I would definitely go back...with a different server. Every interaction was reeking of hostility. He misheard my appetizer order and when I tried to explain that a mistake was made, he cut me off and essentially said "yeah yeah yeah". I couldn't help but stare him down and at that point I think he recognized that he had stepped over the line. But even after this offense, his "friendliness" just came across as fake and off-putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014There were four for dinner. one liked his dinner very much. The rest of us thought the menu was "precious" not straight forward and not to our liking. Our waiter was awful and we spoke to the manager/owner about his non service. The tartar was so salty ...mixed with cheese...it was not eatable. It is a very beautiful space and busy but we will not go back again.Special Features:
- Impressed again!!MBOysterguyDined on 7/19/2014This was a very special occasion, although we were celebrating all we could talk about was the food. We had 6 people dining, -staff doted on our every need. -very clean, fresh, hip, artistic, romantic but still fun. -Started at the bar and tested the poor staff (they seemed happy!) to make almost every drink on their special drink list, A+. -Wine for dinner and the Sommelier hit home runs with her recommended selections, She has all of my trust!! -Food was amazing, each course proved to be different and unique in its own way. Constantly passed loaded forks across the table for all to try. New York Strip A++ Patrale sole & Halibut A+ Kobe tartare A++ Sashimi A+ bring appetite so you can try it all, flavors dance at this joint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prospect: Not quite top of the listMtttyDined on 7/18/2014The food was excellent. The ambience was fine, but not outstanding. It just sort of missed on being an outstanding experience; the little added touches such as a chef's treat at either the beginning or end of the meal, were missing.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014I've been disappointed so many times when I've ordered halibut at fine dining restaurants. But Prospect knows how to do it well...the halibut was incredible and the accompanying items were wonderful complements to the fish. My husband's salmon was also very moist and tender....he didn't have time to offer a sample as he ate his quickly. My friend had the quail and that also was very moist and tender, and she was thrilled it was already boned.Special Features:
- Great dinner spot for visitorsvegasbabyvegasDined on 7/16/2014Great dinner - we took some out of country visitors. First course (Appetizers) are not uniform in size. heirloom salad is enough for 7 to share. other appetizers we doubled or tripled on for all to have a taste. Cashew scallops and the Raviolis a huge hit. Pig ear not so much. Spicy isnt "spicy" but more on the mild side. Wine list is impressive and nice selection and range of pricing.Special Features:
- Go for the food not for the servicePompyVIPDined on 7/14/2014It was Monday evening I was having a one-on-one with my to-be daughter-in-law (for the first time). We ordered cocktails and was taking our time catching up. Got delayed in looking at the menu and the waiter looked disappointed that we weren't ready with our order. We quickly ordered our entrees (she ordered lobster stuffed petrale sole and I had the quail which was delicious) with wine, since we are not big eaters didn't want appetizers. We took our time eating and drinking but didn't want any dessert or coffee. Soon our waiter brought us the check which I hadn't asked for so I told him to bring it later. We ordered more wine. And more wine... the waiter waited with a disgruntled look on his face! Completely ruined our evening...Special Features:
- Super salmonForestvillefoodieDined on 7/12/2014The salmon entree with corn emulsion was sublime. I requested that the salmon be rare and it was. The ethereal corn emulsion was a brilliant and memorable pairing. It was strange that the sommelier was not there on a Saturday night, although the waiter was very eager to suggest wine by the glass pairings. Food wise, this experience was a home run.Special Features:
- Contemporary StarEdieGVIPDined on 7/12/2014While the decor is very chic and the service is professional and crisp, the food is offers both classic entrees (Kobe steak with potatoes) and modern twists (Moroccan spiced Cornish game hen on an apricot puree); EVERYTHING is great. The Somm knows her wines and makes great suggestions. The desserts are killer. On a weekend it is pretty quiet in the neighborhood, but there was not an open table by the time we finished our dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent and SedateKatyVIPDined on 7/12/2014All of the staff are welcoming and friendly, and that adds so much to a restaurant experience. Additionally, the food was truly outstanding. I had the Kobi Bavette (sp?) and my partner had the scallops and a salad. All were first rate. I like that there are tap wines, and I had the red on tap that evening which was very good. My partner's two Manhattans were drained and enjoyed. The icing on the cake is that the noise level is perfect. There is a nice buzz, but we could converse easily on a Saturday night at 8 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was above average, as to be expected with the above average prices. Service was friendly - but the courses came out very slowly.....atmosphere is cold and chain hotel feeling
- Fantastic food, very uniqueAndyFoodDined on 7/8/2014Great service , a great overall experience. Menu changes daily and every choice looked great. All three of my dishes exceeded expectations. Would go back for sure.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFaithDined on 6/28/2014We went to Prospect to celebrate my Birthday. Nice atmosphere, very pretty restaurant. Food was delicious, and the manager sent over a Birthday dessert for me. But the best part of the evening was our server Kevin. He was outstanding! One of my favorite servers of all time and we eat out often. He was attentive, made suggestions, super friendly and there whe we needed him, but not overly so. It was just a great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny location!lovesthechefDined on 6/28/2014Everything was wonderful... artistic food, portion size was perfect... and we shared one of the desserts! The peach sundae was SUBLIME! The event was pricey... with wine, our check came out to $150/person....normal for SF restuarants. The experience was worth it! We are so lucky to have Boulevard AND Prospect in our neighborhood!! Once small caveat... our 6:15pm reservation included the sun flooding through the west windows. Even with a pull-down shade, my guests were constantly adjusting themselves as the sun set. We are lucky to have sunshine on Rincon Hill.... I just didn't want it to be the main focus of our dinner conversation... :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014I have been at Prospect several times for lunch with a group of people from work. The food is great. I then went to dinner with my wife and there was a large group of young people at the bar that were being very loud. I recommend this place for lunch since its quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Discovery for Us!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014We are twice as old as most customers at Prospect; yet, that was a plus in our minds. It was such a amicable environment and great seeing so many young people enjoying a classy restaurant. Food & service was fantastic! Best meal, drinks, dessert and environment for us. We were impressed with every aspect of Prospect and will return again for another fantastic evening.Special Features:
- Lovely place with great food!DoloresheightsdinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014This was my second lunch visit to Prospect and it was great again! The decor is lovely, the food is fabulous (I wanted to try everything on the menu but settled on the Maryland soft shell crab BLT - yum!), the service is friendly and professional. I look forward to more lunches and I want to try dinner.Special Features:
- SanFranGirlDined on 6/25/2014The small portions are overpriced, but the food is good.
- Loved itlovemexicanDined on 6/21/2014Great experience at a beautiful restaurant. We ordered everythign recommended by our server and it was fantastic!Special Features:
- dolphingirl49Dined on 6/21/2014Our group was 7 women for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration. Very classy. Perfect signature cocktails to choose from and a great wine list. Had a wonderful Bordeaux with dinner. Each of us ordered different entrees and all were delicious. Service was great including the wine staff. Our choice for Prospect (from the Chron 100 list) was a shot in the dark and we were very pleased with that decision.Special Features: