300 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prospectsf.com/
- Phone: 415-247-7770x1
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:15pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm - 10pm Friday-Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Closed Sundays
HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
BAR MENU: 5:30pm - close, nightly in bar & lounge area
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pamela Mazzola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Now serving Weekday Lunch! 11:30 to 2:15, Monday through Friday
Award winning fine dining happy hour on Weekdays:
drinks and snacks from 4pm to 6pm Monday through Friday
Bar Menu now served daily exclusively in the Bar and Lounge area from 5:30 - closing
- Special Events: Please contact Naomi Smith, Director of Private Dining & Events
300 Spear Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Cross Street: Folsom
- Public Transit: MUNI N or T light rail to Embarcadero and Folsom,
MUNI Bus to Temporary Transbay Terminal
BART to Embarcadero
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet (Dinner ONLY, $12), street parking (metered), nearby garages (Steuart Street Garage and Hills Bro's Plaza Garage)
A word from Prospect
Prospect is a more casual dining hall from the team behind San Francisco's acclaimed Boulevard. Partners Nancy Oakes (James Beard award-winning chef/owner of Boulevard), Pam Mazzola and Kathy King, have created a convivial venue that pays tribute to contemporary American cuisine. Whether it's a cocktail and a bite at the bar, a casual meal at the communal table, or a relaxed lunch or dinner in the main dining room, guest can enjoy the full menu and exceptional service. Designed by Brand + Allen Architects, the loft-like space is warmed by earth tones, natural fibers, and reclaimed wood, while unique elements like artisan-crafted wrought iron chandeliers add distinctive character to the impressive dimensions. A separate dining room is available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prospect reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (105)good for groups (70)vibrant bar scene (65)notable wine list (64)hot spot (49)romantic (42)great for lunch (31)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- High on my list - lunch or dinnerrkssDined on 10/16/2014For lunch or dinner, this is a gem with combinations and varieties that are always new and exciting. With a daily changing menu, you can always find something new. Unlike Nancy Oakes' other restaurant, Boulevard, his space is larger, good for larger groups and a more energetic spot. And the food is definitely top quality. I have many food allergies and they were great in working with my restrictions and adjusting dishes. Definitely a place to try - one of my favoritesSpecial Features:
- Gluten sensitive friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Sometimes it is hard for those with gluten intolerance to eat out. Not here, in addition to a fine selection of dishes without gluten, the kitchen was willing and able to modify for me. 5 stars for that. However, the meal was phenomenal regardless of the gluten issue. The best swordfish I have had and the scallop/eggplant app was remarkable. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did I not find it sooner?Evergreen888VIPDined on 10/15/2014Prospect is another gem from Nancy Oakes. The menu was great (hard to choose what to pick), and my salad was delicious (although sadly, when I asked to substitute goat cheese for gorgonzola/blue, I got brie instead - I am not sure whether that was a mistake, or if the chef thought brie would go better with the apples in the salad). The fries were interesting (never had such thick, square cut fries) and good as well, particularly with coarse ground salt. Would have loved to try one of the tempting desserts - was full from fries!Special Features:
- great food, slow paceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/14/2014For a Tuesday PM dinner at 7:30 PM the restaurant was busy; the food was great albeit a really long wait between appetizers and entrees for our party of 3. Would definitely return... fish entree was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kobe Barrete (?)skoomsDined on 10/10/2014I wish I wasn't full after I ate this because I would have gotten another one. Very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceLocalDinerDined on 10/8/2014This is the third time I've eaten at Prospect. All three times the food has been excellent as has the service. I went for dinner with a couple of friends this visit. We came early for happy hour and then ate dinner. Excellent selection of wines and delicious appetizers. Dinner was also very good. I'll be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMargotDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant is now our local as we we live above. Despite plenty of other local options we keep going back because the service is very good and the food is well executed. Whilst the flavours are not pushing any boundaries, the quality and execution are up there with the other top 100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner <3honieiceteaDined on 10/2/2014The food portions are small for what you pay for. However, the quality was very fresh. We loved the tomatoes that were freshly picked. I couldn't rely on Yelp or other sites to order my dishes because the menu changes depending on the season and what is fresh. The salad can be missed but the Pork was amazing. We would go back just for the pork. I had the Kobe and it was "lean" which is not marbleized glaze of fat that you would expect when you order Kobe. I was disappointed. The butterscotch cake was very rich and complemented well with the peach. I didn't like the mint ice cream because it wasn't the kind I was use to. It was the real mint leaves style. It was good for what it was but it wasn't my style.Special Features:
- Great Ambienceitalia2sfDined on 9/29/2014The hostess seated us promptly and we were quite happy with our table. We had been here before but it had been a while. Started with Oysters and wine which was a great beginning. Two different salads to follow, both which were average and not particularly exciting. My husband's pork chop was very delicious and my chicken was basic but good. The server was pleasant but a bit lackluster. We asked for recommendations and he said he 'liked everything'. Hmm...lame response. The main issue was the LONG absences from the table...and dining room. It was a bit odd and quite irritating by the end of the meal. Overall we did enjoy the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KandiDined on 9/29/2014Food was prepared in an innovative way. Fusion of tastes and texturesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and experiencecefsteen11Dined on 9/27/2014Our waitress was wonderful and every course of food was delicious and uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againSFnativeVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was my second time dining @ Prospect. The service is uneven- slow to deliver drinks and food (my entree arrived cold). Yet at the end of the meal we were bombarded with staff inquiring if we were finished. All in all a bad experience.Special Features:
- foodmk52Dined on 9/25/2014My brother's halibut was fantastic. My salmon was sort of half cooked - not cooked enough to be "cooked", not raw enough to be sashimi, just kind of a big pile of mush - awful. I should have said something but isn't - the people were nice and all that and I didn't want to make a scene.
- OK this time, but not specialAnitaMWDined on 9/23/2014I brought a group of friends to Prospect because I remembered an interesting menu, great food, and special service when we were here a little while after it first opened. This time, I was disappointed. The menu wasn't very interesting, the food was good, the service fine but nothing special. I don't know what has happened in the meantime, but it wasn't special.
- Nice Work Lunch OptionsBizzybeeDined on 9/23/2014I took a couple of coworkers here to celebrate a deadline that had just passed. The menu looked great and it was hard to decide. I had the scallop risotto and loved it. My coworkers had the steak and pork ramen. Both of which were delicious. The staff was very attentive and the booths were big and comfortable. Very nice atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner at Prospect is greatAlbertDined on 9/20/2014Our group of five had a small celebration and we chose Prospect. The service was good, the cocktails terrific, and the food, as always, excellent. We continue to recommend Prospect to our friends and acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Business LunchChrisDined on 9/17/2014The menu was fantastic. It was especially loaded with local tastes and offered quite a variety. Everyone had a different lunch option and thoroughly enjoyed. The food quality easily matched the price. Wonderful experience,Special Features:
- A long time comingRadarVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was tasty, service good, not packed, able to speak easily and ambiance was modern and comfortable. We started with a cocktail from their specialty list and for me, a little too slanted to the amber liqueurs but found an interesting tequila drink and it was very nice and refreshing. Tasted better than the ingredient list. We then split two salads, one being the heirloom tomato and burata which was good but nothing special. You can get that salad anywhere now and really needed to be bumped up a level. However, the summer melon salad with cucumber and avocado was outstanding. We then had the Halibut served over a carrot and pea melange was also very tasty. Desert was a simple sundae but also rich and tasty.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, PricyDeeDubDined on 9/13/2014Great ambiance, food and service. Beautiful food presentation. It was a bit expensive given portion size. A $5 reduction in entree' and salad prices would bring it more in line with comparable restaurants. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Disappointing!DocBDined on 9/13/2014Seated promptly for 7pm reservation. Waited 15 minutes before we saw the waitperson. Waited 20 minutes for drinks we ordered! We had high hopes for the food being the restaurant is associated with Boulevard, but were highly disappointed. Would not return!
- Great Stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014If you are in the area and looking for a great place to eat... this is the place. Great service, great food, what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- One of SF's gemsButtersDined on 9/13/2014There are many great restaurants in the Bay Area and specifically in SF. Choosing a place to dine to celebrate a special occasion can be hard when trying to choose from so many wonderful places in the BA/SF. Prospect is one of those restaurants that has and will remain on our "special occasion" go-to places and it has been that way since we read the first review of this wonderful place. From the moment of entering Prospect, guest are warmly welcomed. The service and food - from appetizer to entree and dessert were just terrific. Both of us had a meat dish and the cuts were generous and tender. Dessert may be their weakest point but that is only due to comparing it to the wonderful entree and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawaiianFoodsterDined on 9/11/2014Excellent Seared Scallops with grilled white eggplant, good combination. Malted Vanilla ice cream sundae with brown sugar marshmallow fluff was delish, especially the attention to detail with the slight "brulee" of the marshmallow, you can really taste the "malted" flavor in the ice cream. Pork Chop was succulent, moist, tender, and flavorful, cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The décor was striking but led to a major noise level. The service was fine, but the food was mediocre for all 5 of us. Certainly not up to the hype of the price.Special Features:
- Pleasant But Too Loud1060NicholasDined on 9/9/2014The wait staff was impressive and provided some thoughtful touches for a birthday celebration. The food was good but not at all fantastic. What spoiled my evening is that my daughter and I had to keep repeating ourselves because the noise level was so high--and we had a remote table in the rear of the restaurant. In sum, I would be willing to give it another try...maybe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great2fansDined on 9/9/2014The decor is hard edge and a little cold. The food was well prepared, but the portions are small given the price. While we enjoyed our meal, we are not in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- Always reliableMargotDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is now our local, so we are truly blessed. So far I have tried the salmon, the halibut and the steak. All enjoyable, albeit the steak was a bit large, so I had to take half home for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ):OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014It will be perfect if the French waitress smile more! and don t ask at my girl friend if she want more extra in the plate for to do more tips ): bad altitude !!!Special Features:
- Great foodPearDined on 8/30/2014The food was wonderful - every dish our party had looked and tasted great. The wine was also good, but the waiting staff lacked knowledge about the wines, even the wine waiter, and weren't able to give us helpful recommendations.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner or drinksNikaDined on 8/27/2014Best service! One of the best places in SF to meet with friends during the week. Great drinks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodanonVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food here is truly extraordinary. I had the best ever chilled Gazpacho soup for an appetizer and just the most perfectly cooked Halibuit. The ambiance was very Manhattan chic with a gracious and friendly staff. The noise level was fine when we arrived but later it got higher when the restaurant was packed but still not as bad as the Boulevard Restaurant. The waitress and busboys were friendly but very slow in service and response to requests suggesting they were understaffed for a full dining room or an inadequate lack of training. They were just not professional for a restaurant of this quality and expense.Special Features:
- RitaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Prospect is one of San Francisco's top restaurants in every way.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceCliffDined on 8/26/2014This place is a hit. Been here several times and each time everyone in my party enjoyed the food. They have a slim menu but enough for a good variety, and the food is just tasty, fresh, and made with care by the chefs. We tried most of the appetizers and several entrees and we all left satisfied. I recommend the chicken for lunch - so tasty. Been here for dinner as well and recommend the duck breast. And, the service is great. They make sure you are taken cared of the whole time during your meal. Will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Excellent food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I went with 2 colleagues during lunch. Had a table booked and were seated right away. All the food we ordered was excellent, though the 'lettuces' salad was a bit disconcerting since it literally was, only lettuce. My main course was the ravioli, which was in a delicious truffle sauce- highly recommended, though important to remember that, as is often the case with ravioli, the plate contains only 5 of them. You will be hungry if that is all you order! The main problem was that, while our appetizers came right away, we waited about 45-50 minutes for our food to come- so if this is a break from work, you could be there for a while. Restaurant is large, but was full, though not yet when we arrived at 12:15. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningontownDined on 8/21/20144 of us had a most memorable evening. The wine list was excellent, matched by the food and all surrounded by gracious service. Now at the top of our list of great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Booked Prospect on the recommendation of a friend. Excellent food, wine and service! The restaurant had a great vibe. We had a great time! A must if you are visting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent but Forgettable LunchInExileVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was good but unremarkable. The service was attentive, professional and deserves good marks. The decor is "urban chic", which translates to generally uncomfortable and minimalist. The restaurant suffers I think from having several better options within a block's walk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as wonderful as beforeYoFoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014We have been going to Prospect for many years. Something has changed. The service was slow.. The place was not full. The quality of the food was not as great as it was before.
- Prospect does Nancy Oakes WellkendulaneyVIPDined on 8/16/2014However the venue is a bit sterile an not as warm as Boulevards. Between the two, hard to beat Boulevards. The food is excellent however and deserving of a Chronicle Top 100 listing.Special Features:
- Prospect is a real gemMargotDined on 8/16/2014We've just arrived in SF from Sydney and have decided to work our way through the SF Chronicle's top 100 restaurant list. So glad we started our journey here. Jason was our waiter and was very attentive, the wine list was comprehensive and the food innovative. We will be back many times I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.