Proof on Main
702 W. Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Proof on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.proofonmain.com/
- Phone: 5022176360x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 10am; Saturday and Sunday: 7am -1pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Open Until: 1:00 AM
Monday - Thursday: 1:00am
Friday - Saturday: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is provided by Proof on Main and the culinary team can prepare a menu specifically tailored to fit your needs. The menu works to showcase the agricultural bounty of the Ohio River Valley and celebrates artisanal products and sustainable farming, delivering plates rich with the culinary traditions of Italy and the American South.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available for 10 to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Breier or Katie Matthews (502)217-6300 x
- Entertainment: Adjacent to Proof on Main is the 21c Museum, North America's first museum dedicated solely to collecting and exhibiting contemporary art of the 21st century. With over 9000 square feet of exhibition space, 21c Museum hosts dynamic group and solo exhibitions featuring emerging artists alongside acclaimed international artists, such as video artists Bill Viola and Tony Oursler, photographers Andres Serrano, Sam Taylor Wood, and David Leventhal, sculptors Yinka Shonibare and Judy Fox, and multimedia artists Chuck Close, Alfredo Jaar, and Kara Walker.
The Museum is free and open to the public, 24/7.
- Special Events: With over 5,000 square feet of art-filled event space, 21c Museum Hotel and Proof on Main are the ideal setting for board retreats, executive meetings, cocktail gatherings, reception dinners, charitable events, or any other special occasion. Rooms include one large atrium to accommodate seated groups up to 120 and receptions as large as 450; four private meeting areas to accommodate groups of 10 to 60; one boardroom with audio visual capabilities for up to 12; and, for a truly exceptional event, a private penthouse with soaring river views.
Our dedicated Event staff will provide professional service, overseeing every detail for your special event. To learn more contact Lori at 502.217.6312 or lmattingly@21cHotel.com.
A word from Proof on Main
The menus focus on supporting the region’s sustainable farmers and producers with a soulful and honest approach showcasing the bounty of the Ohio River Valley. Housed in five historic buildings in downtown Louisville, Proof on Main is part of the award-winning 21c Museum Hotel. The dining room is one of the most striking public spaces in the city, with rotating installations of contemporary art by local and internationally-acclaimed artists alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Proof on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Proof on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)special occasion (128)vibrant bar scene (85)hot spot (80)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (57)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (39)good for groups (39)great for brunch (31)late-night find (26)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was superb. Whoever put the menu together did an outstanding job. I got the salmon and spaghetti squash and the flavors combined perfectly. Very fresh tasting as well. I hope to make it back at some point, but the prices will make that difficult. Service was great as well. And the bourbon cocktails were delicious and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014My table was ready when I arrived. Valet parking was a great service.Special Features:
- A place for a special eveningciaohoundDined on 9/19/2014Very chic restaurant. Food was delicious and artistic. Fresh and cooked perfectly. Service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Occasion PlaceKathyDined on 9/18/2014We were there during the Bourbon Festival and had a top-shelf Manhattan. Best ever. Also had Pumpkin Soup for an appetizer. Best ever! The only reason I didn't rate the food as excellent was my main course. I had the chicken and it was kind of tough and a little dry. If it had not had a lot of juice with it from the vegetables, etc., it would have been very dry. My husband had shrimp and thought it was excellent. A surprise came with the check, which was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food, exceptional hostess and wait staff and the art museum! We spent 3 hours dining and wandering around enjoying the art installation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a lovely eveningrtravelerDined on 9/6/2014Service was impeccable and the food was excellent. I am glad Chef has kept some old favorites (the charred octopus and bison burger, namely) but yet has added to the menu to display his style. Our waiter was very attentive yet read our body language and never interrupted. The sommelier was very helpful and also attentive. We spent the night at 21c and they had a fridge delivered to our room so we could safely store leftovers!! Very thoughtful and the fridge installed before we finished dinner. We felt spoiled, thanks again!!!Special Features:
- Disappointing dinnerPBPieDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I are from Chicago and came with a group of Louisvillians. The server had a serious attitude- he was rude and it was annoying. He took half of the table's appetizer order and then walked away. My husband had to go back and get him. We ordered 2 spaghetti squash apps and got chunks of squash instead. Server unapologetically told us it was the wrong order and eventually brought 1 of the 2 spaghetti squashes we ordered. My friend asked how a particular dish was- the server said "fine" and just stared at her. The menu is kind of silly. I think Proof thinks they are being clever but it ends up being absurd. The medium rare bison burgers came out bloody raw were sent back. The 21c exhibit space is free and worth checking out.Special Features:
- gingerale lunchmandlDined on 9/3/2014I chose to take out of town friends to Proof-on-Main because of the house made ginger ale. We were not disappointed. Lunch was good, too. The bison burger was juicy and the sides of greens was generous and tasty. Of course using the restrooms at 21 C was delightfull and we enjoyed exploring the other art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhioVisitVIPDined on 8/31/2014Has a good combination of foods and offers very savory meals.Special Features:
- Foodie Without PretenseJlhaasDined on 8/31/2014Our servers here were wonderful. Friendly and helpful. They sat us even though our entire party wasn't there yet (a pet peeve of mine). The food was very good. Except for me, our table ordered the Sunday Supper and everyone enjoyed it. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to had ordered the Sunday Supper as well however there was not a vegetarian option for the entree. I inquired but the waiter said the chef would not make an exception. The waiter was extremely apologetic.Special Features:
- Don't Miss This RestaurantLittleVIPDined on 8/31/2014One if the best I have ever experienced. Good was exceptional bad service was just as good. Would eat here all the time if I lived in Louisville.Special Features:
- Edgy diningJaPryDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Proof. A very different menu with everything beautiful prepared and presentation was lovely. We had a great, friendly and fun waiter who really added to our evening (although I don't know his name). Located adjacent to the Art Museum was a plus since a wander through this museum was as enjoyable as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Exceptional Service, friendly and accommodating wait-staff. Always a wonderful experience for our "Bloody Mary Breakfast" celebrations.Special Features:
- Good experienceServantDined on 8/28/2014We had a great time. Good atmosphere. Experienced dining that we never experienced. Great meal. Great building interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryGolferVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great restaurant with a very creative menu and marvelous serviceSpecial Features:
- Good StuffHonestAbeDined on 8/28/2014Short ribs amazing! Interesting decor. Thanks for checking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCM4bluegrassDined on 8/25/2014The menu was interesting with an amazing range of unusual options that could be combined: appetizers, tasting platters, cheese plates, small plates, and full entrees. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, patient, and highly informative. The food was delicious, nicely presented and the "after dinner mint" course of cotton candy was an unexpected and hilarious end to a great dinner.Special Features:
- ZJADHOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Quality of food is excellent and innovative, but brunch menu is limited. A definite if you're visiting in downtown Louisville. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!JBNashvilleDined on 8/23/2014I only had time for apps and a drink but certainly want to go back for dinner. Had the deviled eggs and the country ham fritters. The fritters were delish! The bar is beautiful and servers were friendly.Special Features:
- AwesomeMacMonegleDined on 8/23/2014The only thing I would suggest is a wood cutting board for the bread. It was messy and hard to tear. Very nice place to eatSpecial Features:
- Nice lunchRoadtripVIPDined on 8/23/2014We researched a place for lunch on the Saturday of Ironman. Food was good but portion was VERY small. I had shrimp and grits which were great but no better than other places I have had in the South. My husband had the Hot chicken which was also good but also very skimpy. Our lunch with a beer and one glass of wine was $57.00 which is similar to large cities with a similar atmosphere. I am glad we went and I would like to try for dinner when choices would be broader. The penguins were fun. The restrooms are across the hotel lobby which is almost an entire city block! This seemed a little strange to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to place for dinnerJetsonDined on 8/21/2014Whenever we visit Louisville, one restaurant we always dine at is Proof on Main. The food, beverages, service and artwork are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This PlacePRS1Dined on 8/21/2014As a repeat customer i would recommend "Proof On Main" to visitors and locals alike. The Food is always wonderful and the Service is as Well. The art Gallery id ever changing and always a pleasure to browse!Special Features:
- Proof is in Results: A+ for ProofJimmyMacVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our trip to Louisville got off to a great start when we dined at Proof on Main. My three dinner guests and I enjoyed the family style dinner available - two of us had pork and the others: chicken - The portions were generous so we were able to split the delicious feast. Appetizers were excellent as was the dessert. Very satisfying dinner is an attractive restaurant with lots of art and class. Top Marks for Proof on Main.Special Features:
- Fun Night OutMar0514Dined on 8/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing!! A friend and I had been to the hotel/restaurant in Cincinnati, while in Louisville for a girls get away we wanted to do dinner someplace fun! So the atmosphere is fun, the food is fresh and nice way to start of the evening!Special Features:
- Great service. Food fantastic.MarieDined on 8/15/2014The catfish dip was a delicious start to our dinner. My son and I had the Proof burger. As always it was cooked to perfection and the fries were superb. My husband had the salmon which he said was very good. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art-inspired epicurean delight!LadygwenDined on 8/10/2014Attention foodies and art-lovers alike, this is one place where the two can agree the food is almost as spectacular in presentation and taste as the magnificent collection of contemporary art found at the 21c. The restaurant stands it's ground among many fabulous dining options in Louisville. It's the perfect compliment to such a well designed hotel. I've never had anything but a fabulous meal from brunch to lunch or dinner. The vibrant bar scene offers unique libations sure to please the most discriminating tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!!DinedbydesignVIPDined on 8/9/2014I saw that this place had great reviews, so I booked it when we were in town for the PGA Championship. From start to finish this place was amazing! Not only did they have good food, they had excellent service! I was there for work and had a very picky eater with our group. Not only did they accommodate her.. But they did so with smiles on their faces! The ambiance was so chic and fun, and the complimentary cotton candy made the night. When I'm in Louisville again, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every detailpedariusDined on 8/9/2014Had a group dinner here a couple of nights ago and everyone was extremely impressed. Knowledgeable, courteous server provided just the right amount of attention and information without going overboard, and the food was exquisite--in particular the heirloom tomato salad and the bison tenderloin, both from the co-owned farm that provides much of their ingredients. An outstanding example of farm-to-table at its very best--highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food Find!SDAtlantaDined on 8/7/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in some time. I was impressed with the vast array of wine selection that they have. I started with a cheese plate which had several fantastic locally sourced samples of cheeses. I then ordered one of the most succulent New York Strip Steaks that I have ever tasted. I finished the meal with a gooey Chocolate Cake with Espresso Ice Cream on top. The restaurant is attached to an art galary and a hotel. The ambiance is absolutely breathtaking. This is a MUST is you are in Louisville or anywhere near downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingluv2eatDined on 8/7/2014Amazing food, drinks, and service. My group of 6 stayed 4 hours eating and drinking and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. I highly recommend the bone marrow and ricotta cheese to start. Everything was wonderful. I wish we had something like this where I'm from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The main event.kaydeebeeDined on 8/1/2014Dinner at this restaurant isn't simply a meal before an event - it is the main event. I advise everyone to splurge and enjoy every course that this place has to offer. I loved the prawns on the bed of corn and peaches! My personal favorite was adding the cheese and wine between the entree and dessert; OH MY Gosh you have to have the mahon.Special Features:
- Dinner and cocktailsKeckDined on 8/1/2014We stayed at 21c and had dinner at Proof, dessert and drinks and a late night snack with cocktails. The food is excellent and the service as well. Staff were very friendly and always accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as Always!msfoodieDined on 7/31/2014I have never been disappointed with a meal at Proof. The locally sourced ingredients and the constantly creative menu and presentation make it a true pleasure to dine at Proof.Special Features:
- FantasticMojitoJoeDined on 7/27/2014I made a brunch reservation after reading reviews online and was not disappointed at all. We got there early and had no problems getting a table sans reservation. The server was amazing (and cute as he can be as well!). I lieu of my normal brunch bloody Mary I chose the "So Fresh, So Clean" cocktail from the signature menu and I can't recommend it enough. We also ordered the Hot fried chicken that was probably the most beautiful plate of food I had in Louisville (which is odd to say for fried chicken I know!) and the Shrimp and Grits (which I would guess had no less than a pound of butter and heavy cream in those AMAZING grits). I could go on but I"ll just end with saying.. if this is what brunch is like I can't wait to try them for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great date nightProofDined on 7/26/2014Proof is perfect for a night out. We started out with a couple cocktails at the bar where the atmosphere is lively. Then we moved on to dinner which is always a treat. My husband had the tagliatelle which was creamy and delicious with the freshest veggies. I had the bison burger and it never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual.NvitroDined on 7/24/2014Bison burger and truffle fries with Jezebel sauce one of my favorites. Fru fru quality food but not fru fru portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Special Dinner!BrucemkyDined on 7/23/2014We came for an anniversary dinner and were very satisfied. The wait staff was friendly and attentive but not overbearing, and made good recommendations. Different courses of our meals were delivered promptly. Since our server was aware that it was our anniversary he did some "special" things that we might not expect. Everything was perfect, except perhaps the place was somewhat noisy. Parking was close, convenient and inexpensive. We were able to tour the hotel for the art before and after the meal. We'll be back for other special events.Special Features:
- sunday dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 7/20/2014Had dinner here on a Sunday night at 8 and it was still fairly busy. I had the death's door drink which was really good. We had the charred octupus and just as everyone says it was amazing. For entrees we had the burger and hog chop. Both were great and the fries were nice and crispy. The chocolate goo cake was one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. It has some crunch to it and adds to the texture. Overall really great dinner in a very interesting artistic setting.
- Very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very nice. The best pork chop I have ever had. Nice wine selection. Highly recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.