Proof on Main
702 W. Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Proof on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.proofonmain.com/
- Phone: (502) 217-6360
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 10am; Saturday and Sunday: 7am -1pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Open Until: 1:00 AM
Monday - Thursday: 1:00am
Friday - Saturday: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is provided by Proof on Main and the culinary team can prepare a menu specifically tailored to fit your needs. The menu works to showcase the agricultural bounty of the Ohio River Valley and celebrates artisanal products and sustainable farming, delivering plates rich with the culinary traditions of Italy and the American South.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available for 10 to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Breier or Katie Matthews (502)217-6300 x
- Entertainment: Adjacent to Proof on Main is the 21c Museum, North America's first museum dedicated solely to collecting and exhibiting contemporary art of the 21st century. With over 9000 square feet of exhibition space, 21c Museum hosts dynamic group and solo exhibitions featuring emerging artists alongside acclaimed international artists, such as video artists Bill Viola and Tony Oursler, photographers Andres Serrano, Sam Taylor Wood, and David Leventhal, sculptors Yinka Shonibare and Judy Fox, and multimedia artists Chuck Close, Alfredo Jaar, and Kara Walker.
The Museum is free and open to the public, 24/7.
- Special Events: With over 5,000 square feet of art-filled event space, 21c Museum Hotel and Proof on Main are the ideal setting for board retreats, executive meetings, cocktail gatherings, reception dinners, charitable events, or any other special occasion. Rooms include one large atrium to accommodate seated groups up to 120 and receptions as large as 450; four private meeting areas to accommodate groups of 10 to 60; one boardroom with audio visual capabilities for up to 12; and, for a truly exceptional event, a private penthouse with soaring river views.
Our dedicated Event staff will provide professional service, overseeing every detail for your special event. To learn more contact Lori at 502.217.6312 or lmattingly@21cHotel.com.
A word from Proof on Main
The menus focus on supporting the region’s sustainable farmers and producers with a soulful and honest approach showcasing the bounty of the Ohio River Valley. Housed in five historic buildings in downtown Louisville, Proof on Main is part of the award-winning 21c Museum Hotel. The dining room is one of the most striking public spaces in the city, with rotating installations of contemporary art by local and internationally-acclaimed artists alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Proof on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Proof on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (112)hot spot (83)vibrant bar scene (78)romantic (55)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (41)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (24)late-night find (18)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- One of the best dining experiences in Louisville!AmburDined on 11/16/2014The moment I walked in the door, I immediately felt welcomed. The service overall was phenomenal. Our waitress was incredibly knowledge about the menu, friendly, and upbeat. Other members of the staff were just as delightful, such as the manager, checking in on our table to ensure that everything was satisfying. I was extremely pleased I chose Proof on Main to celebrate my birthday this year, and to anyone who is concerned about the "hype" or the price. Everything that I tried on the menu was absolutely delicious, and worth every penny. The bison burger was fantastic, I don't know if I can go back to eating regular burgers lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Quiet Sunday BrunchCandSVIPDined on 11/16/2014The wife and I were in Louisville for a weekend Bourbon tasting and decided on Proof on Main for a spot of brunch while nursing our sore heads before catching our flight home. We were welcomed and seated in the bright and slightly quirky main dining area in a very pleasant and friendly manor, the head chef happened to walk passed our table and he also offered some welcoming words before sending out a complimentary french toast casserole which was a nice touch. Being in Kentucky we really wanted to tick the fried chicken box and this certainly was the place to do that, the colonel can keep his secret recipe after experiencing the 'Hot' fried chicken dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 11/11/2014Proof on Main is always delicious, always fresh, always has new menu items or cocktail items without losing the favorites (bison burger, charred octopus). The service is impeccable. Best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, good service, stay for the art!bburnsDined on 11/11/2014Proof on Main is one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville. There are so many wonderful offerings on the menu, but I can't get past the octopus (which, thankfully, is still there, even though I haven't been there in ages). The burger is also very good, as are the truffle fries. Service is solid and always has been; you feel welcomed by the hosts and the servers know their stuff. That you can mosey over to the museum at 21c before or after is a huge bonus. There's always a fabulous collection of contemporary art on view. Proof is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one thing wrongAandCmomDined on 11/8/2014My only complaint is that The two top tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal that I have had in a long timeMark5555VIPDined on 11/8/2014I have been to Proof many times and always enjoy it, but this was the best meal that I have had there. the service was perfect and the food delicious. The whole Branzino was cooked perfectly, just like one might get it on a Greek island or the Turkish coast. The vegetables were robust and the deserts special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchTracySDined on 11/8/2014Had a double-date brunch/lunch here and the food was delicious, portions were satisfying. I had a perfectly seasoned catfish - not fried! - on a generous portion of grits. The dishes were close to dinner entree-sized, but half the dinner price. Great deal.Special Features:
- Very goodKYGirlDined on 11/7/2014Very good and convenient when attending events at either the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts or the Yum! Center.Special Features:
- Fab and Divine.KreeDined on 11/7/2014As Always food was fabulous and cocktail were divine. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun placeSueMVIPDined on 11/7/2014The menu is not the standard menu and the food is outstanding. The Ricotta appetizer is a must. Save time to go to the little museum in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best.craigsVIPDined on 11/6/2014I consistently take my out-of-town guests to Proof because it is really the best in town!Special Features:
- DisapointedHoosierDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I have dined at Proof for years. The experience this past weekend causes me to hesitate recommending the restaurant and returning. Both our appetizers and entrees were mediocre at best. The meal was very different from what we have experienced before. We are frequent visitors to Louisville.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014First visit to Proof, first trip to Louisville, based on a recommendation from a colleague. Food was great, atmosphere was light hearted & fun. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!lovebyobsDined on 10/31/2014We were visiting from out of town and had a wonderful dinner on Haloween night. The staff was dressed in a variety of costumes and made the whole experience alot of fun. Food was terrific, we especially loved the whipped ricotta appetizer and the octopus was very tasty although a but chewy. Overall, still a great place.Special Features:
- Service and Food beyond measureMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 10/26/2014Was there for brunch with some out of town friends. Wanted them to taste the delicious charred octopus, a dinner item, and they served it up! So kind of them to do so my friends could taste the best bite in town. Delicious brunch with great morning cocktails. Waiter, I'll have another Steppenwolf, please.Special Features:
- Great except for serviceFeatherDined on 10/25/2014I chose Proof to take a friend from Atlanta. We'd seen a play at Actors Theatre and were grabbing a drink & appetizers there before another show @ Alley Theatre. (Proof is in a GREAT location for both theatres.) We were running 10 min late on our reservation. We called & the hostess couldn't be nicer about it. Only complaint was our server. He was SO friendly when we got seated. When we ordered drinks & appetizers, I told him we'd like the check with the food because we were in a hurry. He turned cold. When he left the bill, he didn't even speak to us when we thanked him. We still left him 20% tip. We were surprised by his behavior, but had a laugh afterward at our luck of getting the one rude person at Proof!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodVisit2calDined on 10/25/2014Our waitress was very knowledgable about the food and her recommendations were spot on. The food and service were outstanding. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boxhillDined on 10/25/2014Nice lunch, innovative menu -- buffalo burgers, country ham eggs benedictSpecial Features:
- A foodies delightAmyPDined on 10/25/2014Wow is all I have to say... I had friends in town and wanted to show them the hotel and figured why not eat here. It was AMAZING! So accommodating with any special requests too (im gluten free) and the food was absolutely wonderful. We all kept sharing back and forth because all 3 dishes were divine!Special Features:
- Wish we had come hungrier!RaleighwoodDined on 10/18/2014The hostess was very accommodating when we called to push our reservation back by 15 minutes - thank you! I wish we had known how generous the portion sizes for dinner entrees were going to be before we ordered a first round of appetizers, because we ended up getting to go boxes back to our hotel room and not enjoying them later. Tremendous value and wine was priced respectably. We will definitely be back during our next visit to Louisville!Special Features:
- Outstading food and locationAppleberryDined on 10/18/2014I've been to this restaurant several times. The food is always wonderfully prepared and presented. The use of locally grown products gives it another enviable distinction. Flavors are surprising and tasty. Can be noisy if seated near the kitchen.Special Features:
- Good food with good atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I went here with my family in town visiting. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Nice touch with the cotton candy at the end of service.Special Features:
- Reliable, excellent food, servicejafkmDined on 10/16/2014Always great food and this time excellent service as they accommodated a larger group than expected, and took back a dish that didn't seem to taste the same as another's in the group, returning it to the table. It was excellent. Great place for vegetarians also.Special Features:
- GreatChickPeaDined on 10/10/2014I always enjoy eating at Proof. Our meals were very good, service was good, enjoyed perusing the artwork after. Great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicesexygrandmaDined on 10/5/2014The menu is quite limited but the items offered are exotic and different. One of our group had bison burger and another had salmon; both enjoyed it. However, this place may not be a good choice for vegetarians: my daughter is vegetarian and there was nothing for her on the menu (the only vegetarian item had been unexpectedly removed). After she asked for a vegetarian meal, the chef created a special dish using cauliflower, which she loved. The service was very attentive. Also, the restaurant is located inside of a hotel, in which there is apparently an ongoing art show that we viewed after dinner. It was unusual and interesting, and encouraged the after-dinner walk. Very attentive to guest needs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The service was outstanding. The atmosphere is interesting, full of eclectic art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visit in Lousville...CasperDined on 10/3/2014They were very pleasant and attentive when first arriving. The bourbon selection was fantastic along with a good red wine pairing with my salmon. The bourbon by the way was Jefferson's Ocean. The Octopus was delicious and my wife got the Pork Chop which was very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousBigDaddyDined on 10/2/2014Consistently delicious food and impeccable craft cocktails. Staff is always so knowledgable and helpful. Proof is becoming our go-to place in downtown Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday supper - yum!WendrellicaDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed the Sunday Supper with our group of seven, the first time having dined family=style at Proof. It made the meal even better, and quickly broke the ice, as we were just getting to know our dinner guests. The food was excellent, as always, and the service fantastic.Special Features:
- A bit of fine dining in LouisvilleEatMeDined on 9/27/2014Lovely place to take my college daughter for a very nice dinner. The Service was exceptional. I had to change my reservation twice and they were most accommodating. The menu is well thought out with attention to ingredients and flavors. Nice cocktails, and an expansive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Proof on Main is going to titillate your taste buds without being obscure. Honestly, the food is some of the best in Louisville. The blend of local food and creative freedom is seen in the drinks, appetizers, and sides. Death Grip - is a must have if you are into trying something that takes an old fashion into the 21st century. The grits are excellent as well as their cheese sampler. The prawns dish attempted something unique by blending a southern trademark, corn bread, with a fresh and opulent sauce that provides an insane explosion of flavor in each bite. Louisville needs more places like Proof - avant garde in their furnishings as well as the cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artsy fabulousGeriVIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything is divine! Local fresh food and outstanding for a vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- County PateniteoutDined on 9/26/2014Started with a choice of meats and a cheese. The country pate was so delicious and the little other things such as the bread and butter pickles and pickled mustard seed, was so wonderful. Enjoyed so much. The panne cotta at the end, oh so delicious.Special Features:
- Fun placeTomrnccpVIPDined on 9/23/2014Very unique/fun setting. Wait staff was very attentive. The charred octopus was delicious (and I'm not a big fan of octopus). The grits were delicious. The salmon was disappointing. It was a bit undercooked and if it was intentional, then the piece was a bit on the mushy side.Special Features:
- Put a damper on a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We went here for our 11 year anniversary. Food was overpriced, but it was good. Not great! The smoked catfish dip was the best part of the entire meal and it was the appetizer. The server knew it was a special occasion for us but obviously didn't care b/c the service was slow and terrible. We clearly didn't matter to him. We gave our leftovers to a homeless guy on the way back to the hotel. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Proof is in the eatingMickDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I stayed at 21c hotel last weekend. On Friday, we had drinks and small plates and appetizers at the bar. On Saturday evening we dined in the Proof restaurant. The bartenders and servers we friendly and had good suggestions on good choices. The food - appetizers and enteres was invariably delicious and nicely presented. Portions were appropriately small but we were fully satisfied. Overall a fun venue. Prices were reasonable for the quality. The crowd was eclectic and ambiance lively, not sedate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in Every WayKathyTVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were in Louisville for a convention. I read about 21C Hotel and Proof before we came, and we made reservations for dinner before we ever got to town. We were only sorry that we did not have enough time to enjoy more than one meal there. I had the Corn Risotto and a Mixed Green salad. My husband had the Crab Cake and the Grilled Prawns. We shared a Chocolate Ganache Dessert. Every bite was divine, perfectly seasoned, and beautifully presented. I only wished we lived closer to Louisville!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was superb. Whoever put the menu together did an outstanding job. I got the salmon and spaghetti squash and the flavors combined perfectly. Very fresh tasting as well. I hope to make it back at some point, but the prices will make that difficult. Service was great as well. And the bourbon cocktails were delicious and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulab55Dined on 9/19/2014My table was ready when I arrived. Valet parking was a great service.Special Features:
- A place for a special eveningciaohoundDined on 9/19/2014Very chic restaurant. Food was delicious and artistic. Fresh and cooked perfectly. Service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.