Proof on Main
702 W. Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Proof on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.proofonmain.com/
- Phone: 5022176360x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 10am; Saturday and Sunday: 7am -1pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Open Until: 1:00 AM
Monday - Thursday: 1:00am
Friday - Saturday: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is provided by Proof on Main and the culinary team can prepare a menu specifically tailored to fit your needs. The menu works to showcase the agricultural bounty of the Ohio River Valley and celebrates artisanal products and sustainable farming, delivering plates rich with the culinary traditions of Italy and the American South.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available for 10 to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Breier or Katie Matthews (502)217-6300 x
- Entertainment: Adjacent to Proof on Main is the 21c Museum, North America's first museum dedicated solely to collecting and exhibiting contemporary art of the 21st century. With over 9000 square feet of exhibition space, 21c Museum hosts dynamic group and solo exhibitions featuring emerging artists alongside acclaimed international artists, such as video artists Bill Viola and Tony Oursler, photographers Andres Serrano, Sam Taylor Wood, and David Leventhal, sculptors Yinka Shonibare and Judy Fox, and multimedia artists Chuck Close, Alfredo Jaar, and Kara Walker.
The Museum is free and open to the public, 24/7.
- Special Events: With over 5,000 square feet of art-filled event space, 21c Museum Hotel and Proof on Main are the ideal setting for board retreats, executive meetings, cocktail gatherings, reception dinners, charitable events, or any other special occasion. Rooms include one large atrium to accommodate seated groups up to 120 and receptions as large as 450; four private meeting areas to accommodate groups of 10 to 60; one boardroom with audio visual capabilities for up to 12; and, for a truly exceptional event, a private penthouse with soaring river views.
Our dedicated Event staff will provide professional service, overseeing every detail for your special event. To learn more contact Lori at 502.217.6312 or lmattingly@21cHotel.com.
A word from Proof on Main
The menus focus on supporting the region’s sustainable farmers and producers with a soulful and honest approach showcasing the bounty of the Ohio River Valley. Housed in five historic buildings in downtown Louisville, Proof on Main is part of the award-winning 21c Museum Hotel. The dining room is one of the most striking public spaces in the city, with rotating installations of contemporary art by local and internationally-acclaimed artists alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Proof on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Proof on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)special occasion (111)vibrant bar scene (80)hot spot (79)romantic (61)notable wine list (56)neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (40)great for lunch (31)great for brunch (25)late-night find (23)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Wish we had come hungrier!RaleighwoodDined on 10/18/2014The hostess was very accommodating when we called to push our reservation back by 15 minutes - thank you! I wish we had known how generous the portion sizes for dinner entrees were going to be before we ordered a first round of appetizers, because we ended up getting to go boxes back to our hotel room and not enjoying them later. Tremendous value and wine was priced respectably. We will definitely be back during our next visit to Louisville!Special Features:
- Outstading food and locationAppleberryDined on 10/18/2014I've been to this restaurant several times. The food is always wonderfully prepared and presented. The use of locally grown products gives it another enviable distinction. Flavors are surprising and tasty. Can be noisy if seated near the kitchen.Special Features:
- Good food with good atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I went here with my family in town visiting. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Nice touch with the cotton candy at the end of service.Special Features:
- Reliable, excellent food, servicejafkmDined on 10/16/2014Always great food and this time excellent service as they accommodated a larger group than expected, and took back a dish that didn't seem to taste the same as another's in the group, returning it to the table. It was excellent. Great place for vegetarians also.Special Features:
- GreatChickPeaDined on 10/10/2014I always enjoy eating at Proof. Our meals were very good, service was good, enjoyed perusing the artwork after. Great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicesexygrandmaDined on 10/5/2014The menu is quite limited but the items offered are exotic and different. One of our group had bison burger and another had salmon; both enjoyed it. However, this place may not be a good choice for vegetarians: my daughter is vegetarian and there was nothing for her on the menu (the only vegetarian item had been unexpectedly removed). After she asked for a vegetarian meal, the chef created a special dish using cauliflower, which she loved. The service was very attentive. Also, the restaurant is located inside of a hotel, in which there is apparently an ongoing art show that we viewed after dinner. It was unusual and interesting, and encouraged the after-dinner walk. Very attentive to guest needs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The service was outstanding. The atmosphere is interesting, full of eclectic art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visit in Lousville...CasperDined on 10/3/2014They were very pleasant and attentive when first arriving. The bourbon selection was fantastic along with a good red wine pairing with my salmon. The bourbon by the way was Jefferson's Ocean. The Octopus was delicious and my wife got the Pork Chop which was very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousBigDaddyDined on 10/2/2014Consistently delicious food and impeccable craft cocktails. Staff is always so knowledgable and helpful. Proof is becoming our go-to place in downtown Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday supper - yum!WendrellicaDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed the Sunday Supper with our group of seven, the first time having dined family=style at Proof. It made the meal even better, and quickly broke the ice, as we were just getting to know our dinner guests. The food was excellent, as always, and the service fantastic.Special Features:
- A bit of fine dining in LouisvilleEatMeDined on 9/27/2014Lovely place to take my college daughter for a very nice dinner. The Service was exceptional. I had to change my reservation twice and they were most accommodating. The menu is well thought out with attention to ingredients and flavors. Nice cocktails, and an expansive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Proof on Main is going to titillate your taste buds without being obscure. Honestly, the food is some of the best in Louisville. The blend of local food and creative freedom is seen in the drinks, appetizers, and sides. Death Grip - is a must have if you are into trying something that takes an old fashion into the 21st century. The grits are excellent as well as their cheese sampler. The prawns dish attempted something unique by blending a southern trademark, corn bread, with a fresh and opulent sauce that provides an insane explosion of flavor in each bite. Louisville needs more places like Proof - avant garde in their furnishings as well as the cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artsy fabulousGeriVIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything is divine! Local fresh food and outstanding for a vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- County PateniteoutDined on 9/26/2014Started with a choice of meats and a cheese. The country pate was so delicious and the little other things such as the bread and butter pickles and pickled mustard seed, was so wonderful. Enjoyed so much. The panne cotta at the end, oh so delicious.Special Features:
- Fun placeTomrnccpVIPDined on 9/23/2014Very unique/fun setting. Wait staff was very attentive. The charred octopus was delicious (and I'm not a big fan of octopus). The grits were delicious. The salmon was disappointing. It was a bit undercooked and if it was intentional, then the piece was a bit on the mushy side.Special Features:
- Put a damper on a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We went here for our 11 year anniversary. Food was overpriced, but it was good. Not great! The smoked catfish dip was the best part of the entire meal and it was the appetizer. The server knew it was a special occasion for us but obviously didn't care b/c the service was slow and terrible. We clearly didn't matter to him. We gave our leftovers to a homeless guy on the way back to the hotel. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Proof is in the eatingMickDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I stayed at 21c hotel last weekend. On Friday, we had drinks and small plates and appetizers at the bar. On Saturday evening we dined in the Proof restaurant. The bartenders and servers we friendly and had good suggestions on good choices. The food - appetizers and enteres was invariably delicious and nicely presented. Portions were appropriately small but we were fully satisfied. Overall a fun venue. Prices were reasonable for the quality. The crowd was eclectic and ambiance lively, not sedate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in Every WayKathyTVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were in Louisville for a convention. I read about 21C Hotel and Proof before we came, and we made reservations for dinner before we ever got to town. We were only sorry that we did not have enough time to enjoy more than one meal there. I had the Corn Risotto and a Mixed Green salad. My husband had the Crab Cake and the Grilled Prawns. We shared a Chocolate Ganache Dessert. Every bite was divine, perfectly seasoned, and beautifully presented. I only wished we lived closer to Louisville!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was superb. Whoever put the menu together did an outstanding job. I got the salmon and spaghetti squash and the flavors combined perfectly. Very fresh tasting as well. I hope to make it back at some point, but the prices will make that difficult. Service was great as well. And the bourbon cocktails were delicious and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulab55Dined on 9/19/2014My table was ready when I arrived. Valet parking was a great service.Special Features:
- A place for a special eveningciaohoundDined on 9/19/2014Very chic restaurant. Food was delicious and artistic. Fresh and cooked perfectly. Service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Occasion PlaceKathyDined on 9/18/2014We were there during the Bourbon Festival and had a top-shelf Manhattan. Best ever. Also had Pumpkin Soup for an appetizer. Best ever! The only reason I didn't rate the food as excellent was my main course. I had the chicken and it was kind of tough and a little dry. If it had not had a lot of juice with it from the vegetables, etc., it would have been very dry. My husband had shrimp and thought it was excellent. A surprise came with the check, which was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food, exceptional hostess and wait staff and the art museum! We spent 3 hours dining and wandering around enjoying the art installation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Fantastic PlaceSenorRexVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was an unexpected pleasure. The food was all quite original and delicious! Service was quite special without being overwhelming, wine list was great. This was an unexpected find. The art gallery was interesting as was the artwork in the restaurant. We would love to return, if the opportunity presents itself. Travelling the Mid-West in search of great eateries. Visiting from Berkeley, CA's Gourmet Ghetto.Special Features:
- Always a lovely eveningrtravelerDined on 9/6/2014Service was impeccable and the food was excellent. I am glad Chef has kept some old favorites (the charred octopus and bison burger, namely) but yet has added to the menu to display his style. Our waiter was very attentive yet read our body language and never interrupted. The sommelier was very helpful and also attentive. We spent the night at 21c and they had a fridge delivered to our room so we could safely store leftovers!! Very thoughtful and the fridge installed before we finished dinner. We felt spoiled, thanks again!!!Special Features:
- Disappointing dinnerPBPieDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I are from Chicago and came with a group of Louisvillians. The server had a serious attitude- he was rude and it was annoying. He took half of the table's appetizer order and then walked away. My husband had to go back and get him. We ordered 2 spaghetti squash apps and got chunks of squash instead. Server unapologetically told us it was the wrong order and eventually brought 1 of the 2 spaghetti squashes we ordered. My friend asked how a particular dish was- the server said "fine" and just stared at her. The menu is kind of silly. I think Proof thinks they are being clever but it ends up being absurd. The medium rare bison burgers came out bloody raw were sent back. The 21c exhibit space is free and worth checking out.Special Features:
- gingerale lunchmandlDined on 9/3/2014I chose to take out of town friends to Proof-on-Main because of the house made ginger ale. We were not disappointed. Lunch was good, too. The bison burger was juicy and the sides of greens was generous and tasty. Of course using the restrooms at 21 C was delightfull and we enjoyed exploring the other art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhioVisitVIPDined on 8/31/2014Has a good combination of foods and offers very savory meals.Special Features:
- Foodie Without PretenseJlhaasDined on 8/31/2014Our servers here were wonderful. Friendly and helpful. They sat us even though our entire party wasn't there yet (a pet peeve of mine). The food was very good. Except for me, our table ordered the Sunday Supper and everyone enjoyed it. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to had ordered the Sunday Supper as well however there was not a vegetarian option for the entree. I inquired but the waiter said the chef would not make an exception. The waiter was extremely apologetic.Special Features:
- Don't Miss This RestaurantLittleVIPDined on 8/31/2014One if the best I have ever experienced. Good was exceptional bad service was just as good. Would eat here all the time if I lived in Louisville.Special Features:
- Edgy diningJaPryDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Proof. A very different menu with everything beautiful prepared and presentation was lovely. We had a great, friendly and fun waiter who really added to our evening (although I don't know his name). Located adjacent to the Art Museum was a plus since a wander through this museum was as enjoyable as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Exceptional Service, friendly and accommodating wait-staff. Always a wonderful experience for our "Bloody Mary Breakfast" celebrations.Special Features:
- Good experienceServantDined on 8/28/2014We had a great time. Good atmosphere. Experienced dining that we never experienced. Great meal. Great building interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryGolferVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great restaurant with a very creative menu and marvelous serviceSpecial Features:
- Good StuffHonestAbeDined on 8/28/2014Short ribs amazing! Interesting decor. Thanks for checking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCM4bluegrassDined on 8/25/2014The menu was interesting with an amazing range of unusual options that could be combined: appetizers, tasting platters, cheese plates, small plates, and full entrees. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, patient, and highly informative. The food was delicious, nicely presented and the "after dinner mint" course of cotton candy was an unexpected and hilarious end to a great dinner.Special Features:
- ZJADHOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Quality of food is excellent and innovative, but brunch menu is limited. A definite if you're visiting in downtown Louisville. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!JBNashvilleDined on 8/23/2014I only had time for apps and a drink but certainly want to go back for dinner. Had the deviled eggs and the country ham fritters. The fritters were delish! The bar is beautiful and servers were friendly.Special Features:
- AwesomeMacMonegleDined on 8/23/2014The only thing I would suggest is a wood cutting board for the bread. It was messy and hard to tear. Very nice place to eatSpecial Features:
- Nice lunchRoadtripVIPDined on 8/23/2014We researched a place for lunch on the Saturday of Ironman. Food was good but portion was VERY small. I had shrimp and grits which were great but no better than other places I have had in the South. My husband had the Hot chicken which was also good but also very skimpy. Our lunch with a beer and one glass of wine was $57.00 which is similar to large cities with a similar atmosphere. I am glad we went and I would like to try for dinner when choices would be broader. The penguins were fun. The restrooms are across the hotel lobby which is almost an entire city block! This seemed a little strange to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.