Proof on Main
702 W. Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Proof on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.proofonmain.com/
- Phone: 5022176360x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7am - 10am; Saturday and Sunday: 7am -1pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Bar Open Until: 1:00 AM
Monday - Thursday: 1:00am
Friday - Saturday: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is provided by Proof on Main and the culinary team can prepare a menu specifically tailored to fit your needs. The menu works to showcase the agricultural bounty of the Ohio River Valley and celebrates artisanal products and sustainable farming, delivering plates rich with the culinary traditions of Italy and the American South.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available for 10 to 150 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Breier or Katie Matthews (502)217-6300 x
- Entertainment: Adjacent to Proof on Main is the 21c Museum, North America's first museum dedicated solely to collecting and exhibiting contemporary art of the 21st century. With over 9000 square feet of exhibition space, 21c Museum hosts dynamic group and solo exhibitions featuring emerging artists alongside acclaimed international artists, such as video artists Bill Viola and Tony Oursler, photographers Andres Serrano, Sam Taylor Wood, and David Leventhal, sculptors Yinka Shonibare and Judy Fox, and multimedia artists Chuck Close, Alfredo Jaar, and Kara Walker.
The Museum is free and open to the public, 24/7.
- Special Events: With over 5,000 square feet of art-filled event space, 21c Museum Hotel and Proof on Main are the ideal setting for board retreats, executive meetings, cocktail gatherings, reception dinners, charitable events, or any other special occasion. Rooms include one large atrium to accommodate seated groups up to 120 and receptions as large as 450; four private meeting areas to accommodate groups of 10 to 60; one boardroom with audio visual capabilities for up to 12; and, for a truly exceptional event, a private penthouse with soaring river views.
Our dedicated Event staff will provide professional service, overseeing every detail for your special event. To learn more contact Lori at 502.217.6312 or lmattingly@21cHotel.com.
A word from Proof on Main
The menus focus on supporting the region’s sustainable farmers and producers with a soulful and honest approach showcasing the bounty of the Ohio River Valley. Housed in five historic buildings in downtown Louisville, Proof on Main is part of the award-winning 21c Museum Hotel. The dining room is one of the most striking public spaces in the city, with rotating installations of contemporary art by local and internationally-acclaimed artists alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Proof on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Proof on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)special occasion (133)vibrant bar scene (89)hot spot (83)romantic (66)neighborhood gem (60)notable wine list (56)good for groups (40)great for lunch (39)great for brunch (38)late-night find (28)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- OhioVisitVIPDined on 8/31/2014Has a good combination of foods and offers very savory meals.Special Features:
- Don't Miss This RestaurantLittleVIPDined on 8/31/2014One if the best I have ever experienced. Good was exceptional bad service was just as good. Would eat here all the time if I lived in Louisville.Special Features:
- Edgy diningJaPryDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Proof. A very different menu with everything beautiful prepared and presentation was lovely. We had a great, friendly and fun waiter who really added to our evening (although I don't know his name). Located adjacent to the Art Museum was a plus since a wander through this museum was as enjoyable as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceServantDined on 8/28/2014We had a great time. Good atmosphere. Experienced dining that we never experienced. Great meal. Great building interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryGolferVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great restaurant with a very creative menu and marvelous serviceSpecial Features:
- DCM4bluegrassDined on 8/25/2014The menu was interesting with an amazing range of unusual options that could be combined: appetizers, tasting platters, cheese plates, small plates, and full entrees. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, patient, and highly informative. The food was delicious, nicely presented and the "after dinner mint" course of cotton candy was an unexpected and hilarious end to a great dinner.Special Features:
- ZJADHOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Quality of food is excellent and innovative, but brunch menu is limited. A definite if you're visiting in downtown Louisville. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!JBNashvilleDined on 8/23/2014I only had time for apps and a drink but certainly want to go back for dinner. Had the deviled eggs and the country ham fritters. The fritters were delish! The bar is beautiful and servers were friendly.Special Features:
- AwesomeMacMonegleDined on 8/23/2014The only thing I would suggest is a wood cutting board for the bread. It was messy and hard to tear. Very nice place to eatSpecial Features:
- Nice lunchRoadtripVIPDined on 8/23/2014We researched a place for lunch on the Saturday of Ironman. Food was good but portion was VERY small. I had shrimp and grits which were great but no better than other places I have had in the South. My husband had the Hot chicken which was also good but also very skimpy. Our lunch with a beer and one glass of wine was $57.00 which is similar to large cities with a similar atmosphere. I am glad we went and I would like to try for dinner when choices would be broader. The penguins were fun. The restrooms are across the hotel lobby which is almost an entire city block! This seemed a little strange to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to place for dinnerJetsonDined on 8/21/2014Whenever we visit Louisville, one restaurant we always dine at is Proof on Main. The food, beverages, service and artwork are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This PlacePRS1Dined on 8/21/2014As a repeat customer i would recommend "Proof On Main" to visitors and locals alike. The Food is always wonderful and the Service is as Well. The art Gallery id ever changing and always a pleasure to browse!Special Features:
- Proof is in Results: A+ for ProofJimmyMacVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our trip to Louisville got off to a great start when we dined at Proof on Main. My three dinner guests and I enjoyed the family style dinner available - two of us had pork and the others: chicken - The portions were generous so we were able to split the delicious feast. Appetizers were excellent as was the dessert. Very satisfying dinner is an attractive restaurant with lots of art and class. Top Marks for Proof on Main.Special Features:
- Fun Night OutMar0514Dined on 8/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing!! A friend and I had been to the hotel/restaurant in Cincinnati, while in Louisville for a girls get away we wanted to do dinner someplace fun! So the atmosphere is fun, the food is fresh and nice way to start of the evening!Special Features:
- Great service. Food fantastic.MarieDined on 8/15/2014The catfish dip was a delicious start to our dinner. My son and I had the Proof burger. As always it was cooked to perfection and the fries were superb. My husband had the salmon which he said was very good. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art-inspired epicurean delight!LadygwenDined on 8/10/2014Attention foodies and art-lovers alike, this is one place where the two can agree the food is almost as spectacular in presentation and taste as the magnificent collection of contemporary art found at the 21c. The restaurant stands it's ground among many fabulous dining options in Louisville. It's the perfect compliment to such a well designed hotel. I've never had anything but a fabulous meal from brunch to lunch or dinner. The vibrant bar scene offers unique libations sure to please the most discriminating tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!!DinedbydesignVIPDined on 8/9/2014I saw that this place had great reviews, so I booked it when we were in town for the PGA Championship. From start to finish this place was amazing! Not only did they have good food, they had excellent service! I was there for work and had a very picky eater with our group. Not only did they accommodate her.. But they did so with smiles on their faces! The ambiance was so chic and fun, and the complimentary cotton candy made the night. When I'm in Louisville again, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every detailpedariusDined on 8/9/2014Had a group dinner here a couple of nights ago and everyone was extremely impressed. Knowledgeable, courteous server provided just the right amount of attention and information without going overboard, and the food was exquisite--in particular the heirloom tomato salad and the bison tenderloin, both from the co-owned farm that provides much of their ingredients. An outstanding example of farm-to-table at its very best--highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food Find!SDAtlantaDined on 8/7/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in some time. I was impressed with the vast array of wine selection that they have. I started with a cheese plate which had several fantastic locally sourced samples of cheeses. I then ordered one of the most succulent New York Strip Steaks that I have ever tasted. I finished the meal with a gooey Chocolate Cake with Espresso Ice Cream on top. The restaurant is attached to an art galary and a hotel. The ambiance is absolutely breathtaking. This is a MUST is you are in Louisville or anywhere near downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingluv2eatDined on 8/7/2014Amazing food, drinks, and service. My group of 6 stayed 4 hours eating and drinking and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. I highly recommend the bone marrow and ricotta cheese to start. Everything was wonderful. I wish we had something like this where I'm from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The main event.kaydeebeeDined on 8/1/2014Dinner at this restaurant isn't simply a meal before an event - it is the main event. I advise everyone to splurge and enjoy every course that this place has to offer. I loved the prawns on the bed of corn and peaches! My personal favorite was adding the cheese and wine between the entree and dessert; OH MY Gosh you have to have the mahon.Special Features:
- Dinner and cocktailsKeckDined on 8/1/2014We stayed at 21c and had dinner at Proof, dessert and drinks and a late night snack with cocktails. The food is excellent and the service as well. Staff were very friendly and always accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as Always!msfoodieDined on 7/31/2014I have never been disappointed with a meal at Proof. The locally sourced ingredients and the constantly creative menu and presentation make it a true pleasure to dine at Proof.Special Features:
- FantasticMojitoJoeDined on 7/27/2014I made a brunch reservation after reading reviews online and was not disappointed at all. We got there early and had no problems getting a table sans reservation. The server was amazing (and cute as he can be as well!). I lieu of my normal brunch bloody Mary I chose the "So Fresh, So Clean" cocktail from the signature menu and I can't recommend it enough. We also ordered the Hot fried chicken that was probably the most beautiful plate of food I had in Louisville (which is odd to say for fried chicken I know!) and the Shrimp and Grits (which I would guess had no less than a pound of butter and heavy cream in those AMAZING grits). I could go on but I"ll just end with saying.. if this is what brunch is like I can't wait to try them for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great date nightProofDined on 7/26/2014Proof is perfect for a night out. We started out with a couple cocktails at the bar where the atmosphere is lively. Then we moved on to dinner which is always a treat. My husband had the tagliatelle which was creamy and delicious with the freshest veggies. I had the bison burger and it never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual.NvitroDined on 7/24/2014Bison burger and truffle fries with Jezebel sauce one of my favorites. Fru fru quality food but not fru fru portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Special Dinner!BrucemkyDined on 7/23/2014We came for an anniversary dinner and were very satisfied. The wait staff was friendly and attentive but not overbearing, and made good recommendations. Different courses of our meals were delivered promptly. Since our server was aware that it was our anniversary he did some "special" things that we might not expect. Everything was perfect, except perhaps the place was somewhat noisy. Parking was close, convenient and inexpensive. We were able to tour the hotel for the art before and after the meal. We'll be back for other special events.Special Features:
- sunday dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 7/20/2014Had dinner here on a Sunday night at 8 and it was still fairly busy. I had the death's door drink which was really good. We had the charred octupus and just as everyone says it was amazing. For entrees we had the burger and hog chop. Both were great and the fries were nice and crispy. The chocolate goo cake was one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. It has some crunch to it and adds to the texture. Overall really great dinner in a very interesting artistic setting.
- Very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very nice. The best pork chop I have ever had. Nice wine selection. Highly recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food...Awful ServiceJessDined on 7/19/2014Worst service my husband and i have ever had, which is a shame because the food was outstanding. In 7 years with my husband, this was the first time he has ever tipped at less than 15%. It was a shame to spend $130 on a delicious dinner (and drinks) for two, only to leave feeling so unpleasant because of our waiter.Special Features:
- Romantic WeekendEdgarDined on 7/19/2014I make a reservation here for a one-night stay-over about three times a year to provide an escape for my wife and I. A walk about town, a tour of the contemporary art displayed in the adjacent museum and an outstanding dinner for two completes a wonderful weekend!Special Features:
- outstanding foodFranciscoDined on 7/18/2014The charred octopus appetizer was a show stealer. The pork chop was also among the best I have had I will definitely recommend this spot to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AHG likesAHGonOTDined on 7/12/2014The service was impeccable from host to server to busboys - great selection of starters and mains all well prepared - wine list and liquor selection broad and well priced - innovative dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatCelebrateDined on 7/12/2014We arrived around 7pm and were seated in an empty half of the dining room. By 7:45, things began to pick up and we finally began to embrace the energy that is to be expected from a restaurant deemed one of Louisville's "hot spots." My wife and I are self proclaimed non-foodies but we love great food and great experiences. We did out best to piece together a delicious meal but, in the end, weren't wowed. The waiter didn't have the energy I have come to expect from restaurants on the same level as Proof, but that very well could have been due to the lack of energy throughout the restaurant. I would have loved a bit more help and recommendations navigating the menu. I'd recommend Proof, but make sure you arrive post 7:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First VisigtSutton1Dined on 7/11/2014Proof On Main was recommended by our good friend Jon Carlofftis and his recommendation was spot on. We arrived early for our dinner reservation and were directed to the bar where the wait was relaxing. We were promptly seated when we reported for dinner and the waiter was extremely helpful when we had questions regarding the menu choices. We will dine there again and will recommend Proof On Main to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The waiter was not as attentive to our table as others, he was often talking to his coworkers when we were in need of service. It was embarrassing to have to ask for house bread while the people seated around us was brought the same bread automatically. We were not told that the bottle water would be an additional charge or that it would be served at room temperature. I asked specifically for more private seating when I made the reservation as it was a romantic anniversary dinner, yet we were in the middle of the connected booths that were quickly filled up with loud people.
- A most memorable mealjaneksDined on 7/10/2014My brother had suggested we stay at the Museum hotel and have dinner at Proof when we were visiting from California. While I have enjoyed amazing meals across the US, I was absolutely blown away by this dinner. The hot item on the 'shared' menu is the roasted octopus - don't miss it! I had a wonderful grouper entree but my husband ordered the dish of the evening. I believe it was called "hog chop" and it was unbelievably delicious - moist, succulent, sweet, not salty but clearly brined - fabulous! Wish we lived closer, would love to visit often.Special Features:
- AwesomerevaDined on 7/9/2014The food was great and the service was awesome as well. We would definitely go there again. Very vibrant place. Extensive wine and bourbon lists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proof~A Proven WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Delicious food, a lively atmosphere, knowledgeable service, and wonderful art...what a great place for a stimulating evening in Louisville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for business/pleasureJonRosVIPDined on 7/7/2014One of my favorite spots in Louisville, the formula steak restaurants should take note this place can hold its own with the meat/potato crowd and the foodie!!!Special Features: