Promenade Cafe and Wine
130-C Provencher Blvd
Winnipeg, MB R2H 0G3Neighborhood:
French / CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Promenade Cafe and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeandwine.com/
- Phone: 2042337030x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:00am.
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm. Sunday 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
Late Night: Saturday and Sunday 9:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French, French / Canadian
- Executive Chef: Neil Higginson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater to all off site events as well as our banquet facility at Fort Gibraltar.
- Private Party Contact: Shawn Brandson 2049995827x
- Entertainment: Wine tasting exercises and live music on the weekends
A word from Promenade Cafe and Wine
It's starting to look like Paris on the Prairies, as Winnipeg's French Quarter undergoes a renaissance all of its own. Linked to the city by a quaint pedestrian bridge, the area known as Old St. Boniface is thriving as the center of franco-Manitoban culture. And looking out at the neighborhood's lamp-lit streets from Promenade Bistro, you'd be forgiven for momentarily imagining the Champs-Élysées.Continued
In a streamlined room set off by a large bank of windows on the banks of the red river with views of the Provencher bridge and Canadian Human rights museum.
In a streamlined room set off by a large bank of windows on the banks of the red river with views of the Provencher bridge and Canadian Human rights museum.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Promenade Cafe and Wine - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Promenade Cafe and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)scenic view (26)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (22)great for lunch (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (11)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Disappointingdine2niteDined on 10/24/2014Our visit was disappointing to say the least. The food service was exceptionally slow and when it did finally arrive some of the meals were almost inedible. The highlight was at least the wine service was good.Special Features:
- Reservation mix upluvcafeDined on 10/18/2014We booked our reservation on line in which we have done numerous times to attend your restaurant, this time upon arrival we were told that the reservation was only for 2 not for 4 in which we requested and received a email confirmation indicating so. the restaurant was full, I don't mind waiting but what did annoy me was the waitress's attitude towards us that we made the mistake, I informed her that we didn't. her attitude changed after awhile and she turned out to be our server also. I can understand she feeling overwhelmed with so many people, just don't make the customer feel they are the problem. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great breakfastNellieandMark2014Dined on 10/15/2014The Promenade serves a great variety of breakfasts at a reasonable price. Our favourite is the Petit Dejeuner, always good with quality eggs and great pan roasted hash browns. The eggs benedict are also really good. Coffee served in large mugs is a nice touch. Very nice place to have a leisurely breakfast.Special Features:
- BewarenorthabitDined on 10/12/2014Breakfast 1 and half hours. 55 minutes to get food. Others who arrived after us almost finished before we even got food. No coffee refill for 25 minutes and had to ask for that. All 4 of us asked for strawberry jam only one of us got it. Omelette was dry and burnt bits all over the ham. Toast was brought with butter side down on plate. I got 5 slices of bacon. My daughter got 2.
- Very enjoyablemuckie52Dined on 10/9/2014The service was very good, attentive without being intrusive and definitely unrushed. The appetizers were unique, well portioned and well priced. Most menu items offer a half and full priced option. We had the Pate and the Salmon as well a soup for starters and entrees were the Beef Bourguinion, the Angneau (lamb). No complaints from anyone and dessert and coffee to finish. All menu items also include the recommended wine pairing which for someone who doesn't know anything about what wines to have with different courses is a welcome feature. Our visit with old friends was a success and our experience was delightful. Would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something intimate and relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back!dineisfineDined on 10/4/2014My friend and I enjoyed an early dinner on our way to the hockey game. We were seated promptly upon arrival, and within minutes our beverage order was taken. My meal was slightly overcooked, and I let the server know. The server indicated that she would inform the kitchen with my concern. The server continued to tend to our needs. I will continue to frequent this establishment because of the impeccable service, a varied menu and a good wine selection.Special Features:
- Pleasant supriselittlemouseDined on 10/4/2014Not much to look at from the outside but went for lunch and the food was greatSpecial Features:
- 1sttimevisitorDined on 10/3/2014great service, varied menu, steak cooked properly to order, limited sides, no baked potato, portions adequate, prices moderate, offer half portions but the prices are not exactly halved, wonderful view and cozy atmosphere all in all, would go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great food with servings that were the right amount. Loved the fact that it was not too noisy even with a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise!AnonDined on 9/4/2014We had chosen this restaurant to suprise a coworker for her birthday lunch. We had heard that the food was delicious but we were definitely not expecting what we received. The service was outstanding, our waiter went above and beyond to help surprise our coworker and made sure that all our needs were tended to as well as carefully explained the specialities of the restaurant and answered all our questions. The food was delicious, the dessert was to die for! The overall experience was a huge hit for my coworkers and I. Definitely would recommend it to people looking for delicious food and a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but...f00dcriticDined on 8/28/2014Decided to try the Promenade Cafe on a Thursday evening. I have to say that for the amount we paid for diner my wife and I were far from impressed. The downtown view from our table was scenic but the ambiance was a disappointment; dull and quite blah, expecting the room to be a bit more romantic i.e. candles, white table cloths etc. . The meal was OK and the service was good. Keep away from any dish with mussels and if you enjoy bread with a meal be prepared to pay. Ordered the peppercorn steak which was passable(had some flavor but chewy). The only part of the meal that we enjoyed were the salads; the mixed salad and mushroom salad were quite nice. Tried to use AM EX but no luck! To many strikes.Special Features:
- Good food; service lacking a bitudontmakefriendswithsaladDined on 8/27/2014The food is great but they need another server during lunch time - our waitress was covering the entire restaurant.Special Features:
- MmmmmmmmConcertGoerDined on 8/26/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was well-timed and very friendly.Special Features:
- Poor foodLosta100Dined on 8/22/2014Wife & I went for 25th anniversary. We both had the Peppercorn NY steak. We asked for med rare they both came at least medium. Corn on the cob was room temp and still had quite a bit of the silk on it. Mashed potatoes were blah. But we did not complain, it's rarely worth the effort unless the food is completely inedible & felt kinda sorry for the waitress as she was due in about 4 weeks. The waitress was polite & stopped by often to check on us and she did acknowledge our occasion (25th wedding ) I would have thought there would have been a complimentary glass of wine or a dessert. Over all definitely not worth the $100. Would not suggest it to a friend.Special Features:
- Great food1LuncherDined on 8/16/2014Great choices, reasonable prices. Good atmosphere. Our waitress was ok - while we observed a waiter servicing two other tables that was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place to gowantbreadDined on 8/2/2014We enjoy Promenade because of the good food and great location. We have always been happy with our meals and the service. The only suggestion I could make and I have mentioned this in the past is - would it really break the bank to include a bun or baguette for those customers who order a salad, without it having to be a special order which is on the menu? C'mon - really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for 2+wine for<$100USofAExPatDined on 7/4/2014It would be hard to find another quality restaurant in Winnipeg where you receive 4-courses+wine for < $100. We went for our anniversary, were given the most scenic table in the house, but no other consideration. A complimentary aperitif or cup of coffee would have been nice; even if the staff had told us happy anniversary. The preset meal was great; the food fantastic, at the price of a plat principal at another café. The dessert including a single mousse was a bit too small for two. We opted for a bottle over the wine pairing; the 2 oz pour per serving small for the price, 3 oz being more appropriate. The selection was nice (no low $ offerings, bottles starting in the $35 range). A house wine at a lower price would be a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected SurpriseJHG1VIPDined on 7/2/2014Great food and great service - dinner was so good we went back for breakfast the next day and it was just as good as dinner. The location is ideal - across from the river with terrific views to the new Human Rights Museum and the downtown skyline. Bison burger was terrific, caesar salad was great and the desserts (especially the maple sugar pie!) are terrific. The service was outstanding and the wines by the glass varied and excellent. A real keeper in Winnipeg!Special Features:
- The following 202 reviews are from the Promenade Cafe and Wine reviews archive.
- PegCityDinerDined on 7/1/2014Loved it. Really enjoyed the fixed price dinner feature, a great creme brûlée and a tremendous Spanish wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appetit!Falco79ADDined on 6/21/2014My spouse and I enjoyed some great food and wine at Promenade Cafe. Has nice ambience and view. Excellent service, pleasant, humorous and helpful. Definitely recommend Promenade and will go again. Bon appetit!Special Features:
- Friendly Brunch ChoiceNCdinersDined on 6/15/2014Based on previous reviews I attended Promenade for a family brunch. Very friendly and accomodating staff, items ordered by party were all visually appealing and delicious in flavours and textures. Some portions were large so very satisfying for the people with big appetites. The restaurant was full so noise level was up but not unpleasantly so. Overall a very good choice for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dinerSpecialoccasionsdinerDined on 6/12/2014Our dinner was a special occasion, our waiter offered great service. Food arrived in good time, lovely Presentation and tasty. I really liked seeing several dishes with half and full portion choices. Yes I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group get-togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014There were 9 people in our group and it was fantastic for a group get together. The breakfast was great. Everyone enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promendade ReviewEatingoutDined on 5/14/2014Went there on May 14th with friends expecting to be seated in the dining room as I had made the reservation at least 2 weeks ahead of time. There was a private party in the dining room and we were stuck in a corner. The service was as bad as I have ever had as we sat for about 15-20 minutes before our waiter came to our table. The food was good but could not overcome the bad service and noise level where we could not hear one another.
- Mother's Day BrunchBeth7925Dined on 5/11/2014The food and ambience are excellent with a beautiful view out onto the river. We were a party of 4 and had eggs benedict, an omelet, scrambled eggs and a clubhouse - real ham, fresh eggs, pan fried potatoes and home fries...all excellent. The server wasn't in a great mood and came off a bit unfriendly and we had to park a street away as the parking lot was full up, but it was a nice morning for a walk and we weren't going to allow a cranky server to spoil our meal. We'd definitely go back again. Great spot!Special Features:
- Mothers DayHappyJellyBeanDined on 5/11/2014I booked online and it was great!! My mom truly enjoyed her food & visit there. Best managed restaurant I've seen. Excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Never disappoints-great place to meet friends-great food and casual atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Wonderful evening.OskieDined on 4/26/2014Excellent meal -I had the salmon and my wife had the pork tenderloin - both done to perfection. Do you list the fixed priced meal on your website. It was the same menu the last three times we came. The food on your menu is superb. Would like to changes once in awhile, Lacks seafood except for the mussels, which are simply delicious, particularly the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantbestmusselsinwpgDined on 4/26/2014Been here many times and the food is always consistently delicious! They have the best mussels & frites in Winnipeg. Honestly, you need to try them! I had the 100 mile chicken (which is my favourite on the menu and I'm not even a fan of chicken, it's just that I have a gluten sensitivity which they cater to wonderfully, since everything is made in the restaurant so they know what's in the food). My husband had the lamb shank (another one of my favourites). I also highly recommend the duck & my husband loves the gnocchi. This restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:
- Turn on the lights.BoomerDined on 4/26/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. What was not wonderful was not being able to see the face of the person sitting opposite who was sitting with her back to the windows. Clearly, the rear tables need more illumination. How about candles?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No reservation - hashbrowns ?ableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014I got to the restaurant and my reservation was not there - despite receiving a confirmation. I know my reservation went through to Open Table because they asked me to do this review. My experience once seated: The hash browns were more like boiled potatoes - they were barely fried and almost mashed. I also had 2 slices of bacon that were stuck together and a good half of both that were stuck together were almost raw! I have been here many times before and have noticed that over the last 6 months or so, each time I visit there is something not up to standards. It remains on my list for a few reasons: Really good coffee Supports Local Food - farmers, etc. Good Location Open Table
- A birthday lunchIeatdessert1stDined on 4/23/2014I took a friend out for her birthday. We enjoyed the house wine. The server was sweet and helpful. We both had coq au vin, and we were pleased with the ample servings. When I first saw the mashed potatoes, I thought, "Oh cripes, these are instant mashed!" However, they were very tasty. The chicken dish could have been a bit spicier, but it was moist and very tender. We tried two desserts and liked them both a great deal, and we are pretty fussy about desserts. We were not rushed and were able to enjoy a leisurely lunch and visit. We would certainly come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French QuarterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Love the French Atmosphere and at the same time the bi-lingual service. Has a "European" air about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MeElDined on 4/19/2014Three adults and a child of 12 years had dinner at the Promenade Cafe. The waiters were attentive to our needs, but not fulsome. The gnocchi, salmon with berry sauce and the calamari were delicious. The waiter's suggested wine was super and the view of the Red River, the Provencher Bridge and the Museum for Human Rights was beautiful. Dinner, with a bottle of wine split 3 ways, no dessert, cost around $35.00, tax included.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014We were lucky to have won a 4 course dinner with wine pairings. Everything that was ordered for us - the pate, champions crostini, beef with shrimp and creme Brûlée was fantastic. The owner Shawn came over the explain the pairings and was extremely knowledgeable and engaging. We will definitely go back! Bonus - it has one of the most beautiful views of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been there many timesLorrieDined on 4/11/2014We've been there many times before and had no complaints. We brought first-time guests and they loved the place and location, and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- Local and Real Chef and Service!AnniversayDined on 4/2/2014We have eaten breakfast here many times and had lunch. This was our first time having dinner. We had the set menu and it was excellent and good value for our money. We chose to come here for our anniversary as they have a real chef, sourcing local food with a creative menu. It did not disappoint. Very professional service and a wine menu that had a large range and didn't break the budget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice relaxed atmosphere -everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014nice relaxed atmosphere -everyone enjoyed their lunch -great soup-great quicheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a ViewWinnipegWinerDined on 3/22/2014We visit Promenade Bistro fairly often, especially after the theatre. We are never disappointed. Soups are excellent, bread is very good and salmon dishes are particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt no more...ClickerDined on 3/21/2014the French Onion and the Potato Leek soup of the day were both guilty of way too much salt. Spoiled both of these items. The Beef bourginion was also oversalted and did not have very much in the way of beef in the dish. My 100 Mile Chicken was tender and moist but lacked flavor. The Duck seemed to be the best dish of the evening. For a Friday evening was not very busy. Wondering if the food quality had something to do with it. Definitely not as good as we remembered from past visits.