547 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prohibitioncharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437932964x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Thompson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz, Swing and Big Band Music. DJ's late night on the weekends. Dance floor for dancing.
- Special Events: Jazz, swing, salsa, blues, and bluegrass. Check our website for live music calendar.
A word from Prohibition
Prohibition is a new Contemporary American Restaurant in Charleston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Prohibition - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Prohibition reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (47)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (35)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (27)late-night find (19)special occasion (12)romantic (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Slant CastleHowitwasDined on 9/23/2014They have awesome food and hard to find Irish whiskey. WINSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014We went for dinner, but this is more of a bar with a better menu than other bars. It was very limited, and had a lot of fried items. I wouldn't go back for dinner, but maybe for drinks and a snack.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014Another great evening. We had an early seating and stayed late! Our server was very attentive with excellent suggestions on portion sizes and favorites. It is a lively atmosphere without being chaotic...fun to people watch while you enjoy great food and drink. A band comes in later in the evening, pretty loud by that point....but live music is good!Special Features:
- OMG!!!!AliciasTravelClubDined on 9/18/2014A nice place for light dinner and live Music! Best to make reservations with a table by stage for less crowd interference.Special Features:
- Great wings & jazz band!CCTravelsDined on 9/10/2014We went to Prohibition on a Wednesday night when they have a live jazz band and swing dancing. Very loud but vey entertaining. The maple bourbon chicken wings were to die for and the ambience was wonderful as well. Good drinks and very cool set up!Special Features:
- funbuthealthyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We arrived on time for our reservation and were asked immediately if we preferred inside or out. As we do love live music, we would have chose inside but wanting to be able to talk this evening, we chose to sit outside on the patio and it is really a hidden gem. It's partially covered and has a really nice ambience. We enjoyed the specials but would say that the bar let them down a bit. One cocktail was good but the other not very good at all. Also, need a nice porter or stout on tap!! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch!kaylDined on 8/31/2014Needed a last minute brunch reservation on Sunday, and one was open at Prohibition! Food was pretty good and decently priced. I got the burger with a side of bacon (yep). $10 for a carafe of mimosas? Check.Special Features:
- LoudWillisDined on 8/31/2014The place is extremely loud. Server nice but super slow. LONG time before the food came.
- Very enjoyableCharlestonNaativeDined on 8/29/2014Had been recommended by several people. Service was great, fun atmosphere, food was excellent. What more could you want? Locals who will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great great dinnerRRodDined on 8/27/2014Really enjoyed having dinner. On Wednesdays they have a small live swing band and a swing dance organization called: http://www.roaringtwentieshotjazzdanceclub.com/ People at the bar and dance floor were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative foodCharlestonFoodEDined on 8/23/2014The menu is short, but each item is unique and absolutely delicious. Would go back again for the duck confit hash. It was AMAZING! Very friendly and prompt service as well. Cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night findWeetie1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Great place for a quick bite or late night snack. Great atmosphere and live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent enoughDaddysmeatloaf1Dined on 8/16/2014Main course was prepared well, but got a half froozen dinner roll from Walmart on the side. Decent beer selection, but no CBW. Prepare to spend around $80 for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic night!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/15/2014Everything about our dinner here was excellent. Food was fantastic - bernaise fries, fish tacos, dim sum, lamb chops... Our server Amanda was awesome. The best part was that there was a great band playing - River City Dixieland Band. We were entertained while we had a great meal.Special Features:
- FantasticStocktonDined on 8/15/2014Great service, great food, great drinks....you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!krinklyDined on 8/14/2014Great ambience, inventive and delicious craft cocktails, and the food was fantastic! We had the smoked shrimp with smoked gouda grits, duck hash, Carolina roll, collards and all were just amazing! Will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Amazing!!AshleyDined on 8/8/2014We were visiting for the weekend and stumbled upon their menu, thank goodness we did! We loved everything from the bar specials that day to our pork chops and rabbit tacos. I wish I lived closer this would be a regular stop!Special Features:
- Great food/drinks! Awesome decor!outnaboutDined on 8/2/2014My wife & I were visiting from Saint Louis w/ our 3-month old. The hostess graciously let us park our stroller behind her station. We were seated quickly & ordered Moscow Mules to drink & the bourbon wings. Awesome! For dinner we split the grass fed beef burger & crab/shrimp sandwich. Both were enjoyable, but the burger was perfection. After a couple more "mules", we headed out but know we'll be back. The high energy & restaurant noise were just right for our baby who slept through the whole event. The manager checked on us several times and despite being crowded (& Saturday night) we never felt rushed. A great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodisLoveDined on 7/29/2014Really great food and amazing atmosphere! My only complaint is that their "fish of the day" is for the weekends only even though it's on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunchKiranDined on 7/27/2014I went with my coworkers for brunch on a Sunday. All of our dishes were so amazing. I ordered the french toast with a side of potatoes. The french toast was perfect, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Another person ordered the eggs benedict with a side of gouda grits. I do not know much about grits, but these were so delcious. We have been thinking about a way to go back to order more for carry out. They were definitely the highlight of the meal. The last order was the huevos rancheros. It came out so beautifully and extremely tasty. The waitress was lovely and she offered great suggestions. The bacon bloody mary was not spicy and the mimosa was just ok. Overall the food here would have us coming back.Special Features:
- Good, but LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Delicious, inventive cocktails, fun theme (two couples came in while we were eating, dressed in 1920's/30's inspired clothing). Solid food and great service, both from our server & the two young ladies at the host station. The maple bourbon wings were excellent, the cocktails are amazing. The night we were there the band played jazz standards. Only compliant-it's LOUD. We sat at one of the deuces at the front. But, it was easily one of the quietest tables in the place, being far from the band. Amanda was fantastic-upbeat, organized & knowledgeable about the menu. I'd go back for sure, but during a quieter time. Since it was 8pm, part of the loudness was the place kicking into gear for the nighttime crowd.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I had shrimp & grits, it was delicious! We were recommended by the Bell boy at our hotel which was only a short walk away! It was in a great location & the food was great too. It was very noisy, a band started playing & it was very hard to hear each other talk. I wouldn't recommend if you have small or young children. But it's great for a group of friends out for a bite to eat before a night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio seating not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Flies were out on the patio. Slight downer on a great night. Food was absolutely great!Special Features:
- Dinner and Drinks at ProhibitionMrskpcerraDined on 7/23/2014We had dinner and drinks with a group of five people on a Wednesday night. They offer free swing dancing lessons on Wednesdays from 7-8 with a live band playing at 8. The instructor was very good and it was something fun and different to do. We had some of the best cocktails made with their in-house infused liquors. I had the Bourbon Thyme made with apple infused bourbon. I highly recommend Prohibition for dinner and drinks with friends. Also our waiter Joe was super patient, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ShyDinesDined on 7/22/2014It was just by chance that I ended up here. It is located in a great, vibrant area, and the food was delicious. I suggest the duck hash or three lamb chops. I also tried my friend's fish taco, and it was great. It had a fun, fresh bold taste.Special Features:
- delishtaggerDined on 7/12/2014The duck hash is a must! The atmosphere was great. The waiter was pleasant but a tad long winded. Fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014Our reservation was honored and we were promptly seated. The server was attentive and knew the menu. The food was delicious but it all comes out at once. Would be nice to stagger a bit. The bar was lively and everyone was having a wonderful time. Another great addition to Charleston restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014I went with a diverse group including older parents, drinkers and non drinkers. The atmosphere is vibrant and wouldn't recommended for a quiet first date, if you want to talk,but it is fun. Overall service and food good with small exceptions. Food came out at different times. My burger bun was completely black in the middle - burnt to a crisp on both sides. I didn't pay attention until I bit into it and the waitress was gone, so I did not return it. We did mention to the waitress when she came to clear (and showed the burnt bun, as it was left uneaten) and she shrugged and walked away. We weren't asking for anything to be done, just to have it acknowledged and to have server/kitchen pay attention the next time.....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014I came here with my new fiance' to celebrate our engagement, and everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The food was phenomenal, and I hope to come back sometime when there is a band playing.Special Features:
- Awesome!AnnStanDined on 7/5/2014We loved our experience at Prohibition! The food was amazing and the bar is super cool. We went for a date night and it did not disappoint! I recommend the Cucumber Martini, Moscow Mule for drinks and the Pork and Duck Skillets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLovemylabDined on 7/2/2014Tried this place for the first time and really glad we did. Food was excellent, great specials choices. Loved the drinks and atmosphere too. Out waiter Joe was chatty and helpful with choosing dishes, nice guy! We will be back.Special Features:
- Food+Music=ProhibitionOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great little gastro pub, very creative bar drinks (loved the jalepeno margarita!) and fun choices for food...the red fingerling fries with bernaise are amazing as was the rabbit nacho plate. Our servers were very attentive and great with suggestions. The music started at about 8:30 and it turned into much more of a bar crowd...but that was OK, everyone was having a good time!Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014There was a little confusion at first on who had our table but once we got a server, she was very attentive. The drink I had was wonderful! Moscow Mule, had two. The crispy goat salad was delicious. The collards were some of the best I've ever had. I ordered one lamb chop and I have to say although it was tasty the amount of meat on it was sad. I've had way more meat on a baby back rib. My husband seemed to gobble up the Duck Quesadilla but when I asked him how he liked it he said that he really couldn't tell that there was duck in it. I would still recommend you try this place. The food came out crazy fast and the drinks are out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shouldn't be missed!M1S2A3Dined on 6/21/2014Very friendly helpful staff, the food was outstanding, prices refreshingly reasonable. A little too loud for us, but it is a bar, so that is to be expected. We can't wait to try the brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejbpwDined on 6/18/2014Staff was attentive and very helpful with food choices. Chairs at tables kinda of uncomfortable. Great place to start out for a night on the town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prohibition was AMAZING!bHanleyDined on 6/17/2014We really loved this place. The ambiance was great, the food was great, and the service was FANTASTIC! Our favorites were the infusions - especially the jalapeño tequila (if you like spicy). We want to go back again to try more of the food... but if you're a dessert lover you gotta try the blueberry toast thing!!! It's beyond delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yum yumLocalUptownworkerVIPDined on 6/14/2014This new place is delicious. Not only is the food great, the atmosphere was eclectic and fun! The service was great and there were many fun cocktails to choose from. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- A Modern Jazz ClassicJennifericiousDined on 6/12/2014I was dying to visit this restaurant as soon as I read about it in a guide book. I am a huge fan of the Jazz Age and anything to do with that era, and I was thrilled to find a restaurant that catered to that passion. I'm really into food and enjoy cooking so when I go out to eat (even on vacation, when all we do is go out to eat) I try to find a restaurant that will give me something I cannot get at home, be this in the form of food, entertainment, or ambiance. Prohibition had all three. And the bartender made up a mixed drink just for me, which was so much fun!There was live jazz music and our waitress was fabulous. She helped make the evening the fantastic and memorable experience it was. Highly recommend this to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food and Amazing ServiceDrewVIPDined on 6/11/2014Took the family there early on a Wednesday night. It was not yet crowded. We had the Duck Hash, Duck Quesadillas, salads and sliders. All of the dishes were terrific. Loved the duck hash...but it could have had a touch more duck. Drink list is inventive and comprehensive. There is an extensive beer list but the mixed drink creativity is a stunner. Would go back again and again.Special Features:
- Good food but lacking in serviceDinerGirlDined on 6/10/2014The ambiance is very comfortable and unique keeping with the theme of Prohibition. Our drinks were served in mason jars and the meals were served in small cast iron skillets. We agreed the Shrimp & Grits were delicious, but a bit on the spicy side. We thought the Sausage and Mushroom Mac & Cheese was fantastic and would definitely recommend everyone try this dish. Unfortunately, there was only one waiter, who was busy and our entrees came out at different times. We would have preferred to have our entrees served at the same time so one didn't have to watch the other eat. Big no-no in the foodie world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.