Produce Row Café
204 SE Oak St
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Produce Row Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.producerowcafe.com/
- Phone: 5032328355
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available upon special request. Please call or contact by email. (email@example.com)
- Private Party Facilities: Available upon special request. Please call or contact us by email. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Private Party Contact: Trefor Davies 5032381975
- Entertainment: Every Tuesday night we have Supper Set from 7p-12a; Rev Shines spins classic soul, jazz and R&B. The first Saturday of every month we have The Scenario from 8p-12a; Rev Shines plays classic hip hop. We have other special events periodically throughout the year.
A word from Produce Row Café
Tucked between the train lines and warehouses of the central eastside industrial district, from which it gets its name, Produce Row Cafe has been serving the residents of Portland for nearly 40 years. Originally opened in 1974 as the first establishment of the brothers McMenamin, the property has changed hands and evolved much like the city around it over the past few decades. Re-imagined in 2010 by owner Alan Davis, Produce Row Cafe continues the tradition of great food and spirits combined with an ever-changing rotation of taps, hosted in a relaxed environment perfect for happy hours, a tasty lunch, or an evening under the stars on the large outdoor patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Produce Row Café - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Produce Row Café reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (4)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Seafood boil - tasty but priceynotyermomDined on 8/23/2014Great food, quick, if a little pricey. Seafood boil was fun, tasty, but not much protein for the price...Special Features:
- Just a hipster jointSuperwillieDined on 8/15/2014Overall very disappointing, poor service and attitude from the door in. Food overpriced and not great. Not the old produce row I remember
- Produce Row thumbs upClevelandersDined on 8/6/2014Service and food were great after a long trip into Portland. Nice selection of beer and whiskey for sipping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemarsDined on 8/2/2014Loved how everything has a new twist. Service was wonderful and the waiter wasespecially kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location with sub-par foodDissap0int3dDined on 8/1/2014Was very excited about this place, but the food was substandard. Both appetizers we had (Crostini bread and deviled eggs) were essentially disgusting. The BLT sandwich was so salty that I couldn't even finish half of the sandwich without drinking a gallon of water and beer. That could be their plan to get folks to drink their whiskey/beer pairings though. The watermelon swill barely touched. The only thing food that was palatable was the mac and cheese eaten by our friends, and that was, I believe, only because she was extremely hungry.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre service.FoodisLifeDined on 7/29/2014After being seated right away, and the hostess saying she would be right back with water, we were ignored by the staff for a good 15 minutes. Finally, a server did arrive, took our drink order, ran down the specials (only after being asked as she was trying to walk away), and was gone for another 10 minutes. She came back with drinks, set them down and walked away saying she would take our order in a moment. 5 more minutes pass and as she is walking by us realizes that we hadn't left yet, so she stops and takes our order. Another server delivered the food, which was good, and took our second drink order (because with all the waiting drinks went consumed) and brought them to our table. Bottom line, Food Good, Service bad!
- A hidden gemJohnDined on 7/5/2014Produce Row Cafe still feels undiscovered--probably because it's not in a trendy neighborhood. This is where I go when I need a last-minute table for four at 7 p.m. on a Friday night, and it never disappoints. Their menu doesn't seem to change much, but the quality of the food, drinks, ambience, and service is consistently very good (and the prices are so, so reasonable). If you haven't been, it's time for you to reserve a table on the patio on a nice weekend night (I think the picnic tables can seat four--or six skinny people--comfortably). It's places like this that exemplify what's so great about the Portland food scene right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trains and tastyTGTanniDined on 7/4/2014I love trains and this is right by the tracks. We sat outdoors which was great. 4th of July menu was basic but good. Their side salad was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 4thginagDined on 7/4/2014There was a reduced menu for the 4th of July which was disappointing as this was not posted on the web site.Special Features:
- Sweet!Lma133345Dined on 6/20/2014This is an awesome spot! Hidden gem! Great food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottLDined on 6/17/2014This is one of my favorite spots. It has great food and a comparable food selection. I would recommend going on Tuesday nights to enjoy some great music provided DJs - Rev Shines and All Night Tong.Special Features:
- Out of the way find ...SavvynoviceDined on 6/13/2014Good food, creative ideas behind it, artfully presented; service attentive; the interior and outside options are terrific. Its out-of-the-way but convenient location makes you feel privileged.Special Features:
- Quiet lunch spot close to downtownLauraDined on 6/4/2014This is a favorite spot for my husband and me when we get a chance to meet for lunch. Parking is always difficult, but there is always open seating and we love the food and drinks. Perfect low noise level to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- The following 16 reviews are from the Produce Row Café reviews archive.
- Wish I'd found soonerDhotchkiVIPDined on 5/31/2014Several friends had raved about Produce Row. I was not disappointed. We were seated immediately for our reservation. The servers were happy and engaged and checked back frequently, but were not overly pushy. The food was perfect. I had the Hot Brown sandwich and I am a convert. I can still taste the Mournay and Whiskey hot sauce. The pork belly was slightly overcooked, but the piece was generous and flavorful. The drinks were well made and unique. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- Questionable Menu???????OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014There was only 6 choices for entree on the menu and they were out of three of them. I don't know how you can run out of food at 6:30 pm.Special Features:
- Date night!OmarwDined on 5/10/2014Fun place to have a date night! Loved the bacon wrapped dates and Mac & Cheese. Great beer selection. Excellent service! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, albeit tucked awaylawduckVIPDined on 4/19/2014If you moved Produce Row five or six blocks east, it would be packed all the time. As it is, it's only mostly packed all the time. Once you figure out how to get across MLK and Grand, you're in for a treat: a bona fide delicious menu of small tastes and bigger entrees, cool drinks, an excellent wine list, and cozy atmosphere. Also, one of the great patio seating arrangements. One quick note - typically it's open seating at the restaurant. I think they're using OpenTable to help people ensure that they can get a table for a specific number during popular times. When we arrived there was no one at the front; in that event you should just let your server know that you used OpenTable.Special Features:
- A new favoriteInezDined on 3/30/2014A great balance between casual and romantic, this sweet spot can accommodate very large groups but feels intimate enough that you don't get lost amongst other diners and tables when it's just a little date night. I came here for a birthday and shared several appetizers and a couple entrees and it was perfect for the two of us. The three-app board was a fun display. The dates are very tasty and I have yet to meet some fried cauliflower I don't love, so that was definitely a win. Great booths, lots of dark wood, and really beautiful thoughtful touches in the decor. I want that orchid wallpaper in my house. Overall very pleased with the general pleasantry and I look forward to many more visits so I can try all the tasty little snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and bar selection.MikeDined on 3/29/2014We went with a party of 6 during a Saturday happy hour. With Open Table we were seated right away. It was packed but service was great and there wasn't a long wait for food. The food was eclectic, delicious, and well presented. Portion sizes were perfect. I loved the bar pairing of brews and whiskey. And they have the best chocolate stout I've ever had. Great pricing.Special Features:
- Great food, awesome friendsturtle85Dined on 3/21/2014Great place to get together with our friends and outstanding food. The energy in the restaurant made it even better and we will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a table for six andKevinDined on 3/10/2014We had a table for six and the noise level was such that it was it was difficult to hear the personson at the othr end of the table. Service and food were what I expected, GOOD.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, but tasty, selectionSeanDined on 2/22/2014The food was great! I suggest the Veggie and Hummus Plate as an entire meal. And the veggie burger was excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome meal, great beer optionsmarisky23Dined on 2/14/2014We started with a 3 pack of appetizers which in themselves were very filling. Only issue with the service is that they somehow interpreted my order of the starters and entrée to mean that I wanted it all at the same time (instead of a starter coming out first). Other than that the food was delicious - who would have thought mustard enhanced pasta mini pillows and brussel sprouts could be so yummy. We had a ton of food, drinks plus a special afterdinner complimentary digestif (because it was Valentine's day) for less than 2 entrees at most restaurants.Special Features:
- Food has been betterYeehaasDined on 1/31/2014I was seriously disappointed in the food this time, it had been spectacular in the past. Also the teeny tiny font is hard to read on the menu when the lights are so dim. Otherwise excellent beer whiskey pairings and great atmosphere for a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish I had been warned thatLovelaceDined on 1/29/2014I wish I had been warned that there was a big company party happening at the same time as my birthday dinner. I would have made reservations somewhere else rather than wait 2 hours for food. The waitress was really apologetic and gave us free drinks and dessert but still, my birthday could have gone smoother. That said, I've had good experiences there before and I will keep going back, just not on my birthday.Special Features:
- Meh, nothing to rave about.CaptQuinnDined on 1/25/2014I did enjoy the ambiance and the decor, the place was definitely cool. Our server was mildly slow and fond of telling us how good the food was, "everything is marvelous isn't it?" she would ask. Well no, actually honey, the food is BLAND. It was all bland, and dry. We had the ahi/tuna melt, dry and bland. Ever heard of salt? We had the ling cod fish and chips, the fish was cooked perfectly but the batter/coating was BLAND! We finished the meal with a chocolate cake that was completely flavorless (but was asked..."its marvelous isn't it?") How can you possibly make chocolate cake that tastes like.....nothing? I would go back for drinks but not to eat.Special Features:
- Lively with good inexpensive food.Glo4foodDined on 1/16/2014Met friend for lunch and this was our first time to Produce Row. Enjoyed eating in the Bar as they have cool booths. The wedge salad was fabulous and the roasted squash was fit for a foodie. We also had onion soup and fried chicken both tasty. Our wait person was just ok. She did make an error on our order and served sprouts instead of the squash. The error was corrected. Will return to enjoy again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceEvanDined on 1/10/2014Great food and service... I really enjoyed my meal of pork cheeks and shrimp. It was a really tasty combo. Plus they have a nice craft beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great waiter for large bday partyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2014I had a reservation for 12 which I increased to 16 the day of and warned that there may be more, ultimately had a group of 20 show up and were seated at 3 tables nearby each other. The hostess was unfriendly and unhelpful but we were able to find seats for everyone even if we weren't all at a table together. The waiter was amazing! He remembered everyone's orders and drinks and was able to accommodate separate checks at separate times for everyone despite the fact that people had switched seats and our group was generally a bit chaotic. He was also friendly with a great attitude while clearly very busy. We were disappointed to see the new menu no longer included a bunch of amazing desserts, there were only 2 pretty underwhelming choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.