240 East Pittsburgh Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prodigal240.com/
- Phone: 4142233030x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm -9:00pm
Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Reverse Happy Hour:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Van Luu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Prodigal Gastropub is the perfect location to host your event. Contact Aimee today to reserve your date.
- Private Party Contact: Aimee Loyd 4142233030x
A word from Prodigal Gastropub
Industrial-era chic meets modern culinary exploration at Prodigal, the place where you'll always feel at home. Set in a former heavy equipment shop, Prodigal features contemporary American Cuisine made from scratch with fresh local ingredients. Sunday brunch offers an extensive menu from 10 am to 3 pm. Let our award-winning bartenders mix you a specialty craft cocktail, or choose from a wide selection of micro beers and bourbons. The rustic wood, steel beams and exposed brick hearken back to an earlier time. The vibe though is 21st century comfort. Just look for the four big garages doors - they'll be open in nice weather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Prodigal Gastropub - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Prodigal Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (22)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)special occasion (7)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good food but service is mediocreMkealphabetfoodieDined on 10/10/2014I've been here twice, both times were when they happen to have just reopened after "reorganizing". The food is good, but the service was quite subpar. We were one of maybe 8 total tables and they were so slow you would have thought the place was slammed. Our waitress had no energy, no personality, no excitement about the place either. She seemed confused on whether this was fine dining or casual. It's such a cool atmosphere with so much potential but the staff needs an overhaul.
- Great foodellagartoVIPDined on 9/26/2014but on a Friday night....no customers. so will they survive?
- Not as good as last time...Blueskies51Dined on 8/29/2014Ate here 3 times last winter. Menu was varied, food was superbly cooked, the place was packed, and there was a vibrant atmosphere. On 2 other occasions we were unable to get a table as it was so popular. This time, despite it being a Friday, the place was almost empty, there was no ambience and the food was very ordinary. Steak, mussels and scallops were all just ok. But the fries (cooked with skins on which I love) were rubbery and tasted like they'd been reheated. Not sue if this was because it was the start of a holiday weekend, but it was very disappointing. Couldn't fault the service which was friendly and timely.
- Good experienceEpicureansDined on 8/23/2014Overall we had a good experience at this restaurant. Lovely place and as others have mentioned, its even better when the large doors open to the outside on a warm night. The food was great, we tried the sauasage and the pate to start...both amazing, then the pork chop and the scallops..also good, and finished off sharing a rasperry pannacotta, which was super. Good drinks too. Plus a very nice server. Just a bit surprised how quiet it was for a saturday night, which did not bother us at all. Would come again for sure!Special Features:
- surprising delights!foodloverDined on 8/22/2014We had heard that Prodigal was good, but weren't sure what to expect. What a pleasant surprise! Reasonably priced drinks from a great bar selection, and the food was outstanding. The brined pork chop was succulent and masterfully presented, and the scallops are to die for. We had no room for anything from the short but wonderful sounding dessert list. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prodigal has full plates too!CatLadyDined on 8/20/2014This was the forth time I've been to Pordigal with a group. I continue to be impressed with the creative menu choices and their ability to handle groups. We were especially impressed with the popcorn polenta, the prosecco braised cabbage that accompanied the evening's sea bass special, and the perfectly cooked egg atop the asparagus side dish. Decent wine list and very helpful server. The garage-style doors were allow a nice outdoor feel without the wind. The only negative review of food came from the two mussel eaters. Mussels were very small and tough (sourcing issue??) and did not come with crostini or grilled bread to dip in sauce, possibly because of accompanying fries. The fries are so flavorful, they competed with wine sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerRhodeIslandGirlDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I were given a gift card to Prodigal. We used it on a Saturday night. It was not very busy at all, almost too quiet. The food is mostly small plates and they were very good. We ate at the bar so service was easy. They do have 3 TVs at the bar and we were able to watch the Brewers.Special Features:
- Bone Marrow for dessert? AbsolutelySueBCDined on 8/16/2014Every course was great, but the bone marrow dessert chocolate ganache was a special treat. You have to try it.Special Features:
- Lovelydining102Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and service. A lovely place to eat with family and friends for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, worse foodJTTCDined on 8/1/2014Second time there and it was still awful. Won't go again.
- Nice place to try...KJJSDined on 7/25/2014...but not a place I would go out of my way to go to again.Special Features:
- We'll return to Prodigal (get it?)WaltzMakerDined on 7/24/2014We were @ Prodigal on a quiet Thursday evening. Our server, Andrew, was impeccable - very attentive and knowledgeable; he answered all of our questions to our complete satisfaction. Our foursome was not rushed and we thoroughly enjoyed our two-hour time together at the table. The bartender made one of the best manhattans I have ever had. Our dinners (and appetizer) were not only beautifully presented, but also they were delicious; everyone cleared her/his plate. My only concern is that the space would be overwhelmingly noisy when it was filled with diners and drinkers, making table conversation difficult. [We are vibrant folks in our 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s!] Well done, Prodigal, and thank you for a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Not HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014On the hottest night in milwaukee this summer we dined at Prodigal. They had NO air conditioning in the restaurant. We sweated through are meal which was very average. Very dissappointed after waiting to go to this restaurant.
- Our Visit to ProdigalwifeisdiningspotmavenDined on 7/18/2014I picked up my wife (who had come in on a long flight) and had reserved a table at Prodigal for some late real food and unwind. Location and time (after dinner/before night scene) was perfect. Food was better than good pub grade/service was politely engaging, efficient and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere but food was okMKElvrDined on 7/18/2014The atmosphere was great with the wall opening up to the outside. Very fun server and the bartender even mixed up a delicious NA drink for a pregnant friend. Unfortunately the food was average at best. Not worth the $20 price tag for the the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014We were impressed by the thoughtful selection of beers and had a hard time choosing an entree. We ordered the Scallops and the Gnocci and both had well balanced tastes and texture. It was a bit of a cool night to have both garage doors open, but it was nice to look out on to the street. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Fun placeVinoDined on 7/12/2014Great food , atmosphere and a fun bartender. We will go back soon.Special Features:
- great meal, avoid dessertDoc86amDined on 7/9/2014Food is amazing but the desserts fall short. Banana bread is very bland. Seemed like there was no effort put into the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so greatSighDined on 7/9/2014I was disappointed by the food at Prodigal. Even the best-rated-by-my-table cheese platter was confusing - was I supposed to eat the marmalade and yummy yummy quark cheese with a spoon? The worst was a small, $12 (really?) panzanella salad with hard croutons, drowning in a pool of 70's green goddess (really?) dressing. The Goat cheese gnocchi itself was delicious and unusual but was overwhelmed by the beet sauce, and I couldn't taste the fennel that was clearly there. A beet salad was really good. The hostess was charming and she called ahead to let us know that if we wanted more quiet we could come a little later. Our waitress had a great personality; she was fantastic. I had been looking forward to Prodigal and it wasn't great.Special Features:
- Great Food; service needs workDiningDDined on 7/8/2014Excellent food and presentation. Really unique dishes with great flavor combinations. Server needs more training though. She did not offer to tell us about any specials or anything about the menu until we prodded with questions. More importantly, she did not mention dishes that were not available that night until after we had already ordered. It would have been nice to know that upfront when considering the options. When we were asked if we wanted desserts, we said "Yes. Absolutely. What do you have tonight?" She didn't say anything but just handed us menus. The service needs to come up a notch to match the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Brunch only on Sundayhate2cookVIPDined on 7/6/2014Food was very good but on the cool side when served. We were promptly seated. Our wait person was friendly and attentive when we saw him.Special Features:
- SatisfiedDined on 7/5/2014Urban atmosphere with great food & service! I would definately recomend Prodigal Gastropub...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not mind blowingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2014Food was average, drinks were above average, and service was as it should have been. Nothing makes this place stand out over other neighborhood eateries that would be lower in cost.Special Features:
- DeliciousSandyVIPDined on 7/5/2014The scallops were delicious. The chocolate mousse was a lot of fun and great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday CelebrationDbunkDined on 6/28/2014Called ahead and Prodigal accommodated us nicely. Food was good, service was okay a bit slow but very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningwiththeboysVIPDined on 6/24/2014Food is interesting and creative. Well prepared and served with flair. Great space where indoor meets outdoor with a wall of overhead doors that open. Perfect for dinner or meeting friends later in the evening for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Prodigal Gastropub reviews archive.
- MUWarriorDined on 6/24/2014We had high expectations...and they were met. Food was great as was the presentation and service....will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!ChickybbyDined on 6/17/2014We came here after work for happy hour drinks and an early dinner. Everything that we tried was amazing and very friendly service. Great variety of taps, and cocktails. We were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handicap AccessHajeDined on 6/15/2014In addition to great food and service, I came on Father's Day with my mother in a wheelchair and they were very accommodating! And Andrew gives terrific service!Special Features:
- First timers!BayViewDinersDined on 6/10/2014This was our first visit to Prodigal and we liked the venue...especially the old cranes hanging from the rafters! The Poutine was a great choice...very tasty, though it sure had a lot of potatoes in it...very filling...couldn't get it all down. The duck was delicious. My wife's scallops were very good and the dish came with layers of flavor that she much enjoyed. The jazz quartet played as we were finishing our dinner, and though we are not jazz oficianados, the music was not overpowering and we could still carry on conversation. We'll likely return...perhaps with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2014May not be representative of all staff at this place, but we went for brunch and the server had no clue what was gf on the menu and what wasn't. Food was good, but pricy. Drinks were good as well. This place has a great location, but lacks some small details in service and menu separation from other places in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Great repurposing of location!DebitKDined on 5/31/2014Visited for the first time May 31 and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Fun menu with some unique twists. Loved the warehouse/garage ambiance and the ability to transition easily from indoor to indoor-with-fresh-air dining. The chocolate mousse with cayenne pepper was a little too peppery, but all of the other food choices were well prepared and tasty. Our server was attentive and responsive without being intrusive. Great newer place to try if you haven't been there yet.Special Features:
- EliseDined on 5/31/2014The food was terrible and the service poor. The menus should be organized in a way that the customer knows what is a small plate portion vs meal portion. Our server couldn't explain the dishes very well. None of us had a good meal and will not go back. We had been to Prodigal a couple of times before and had very good experiences, but something has definitely changed, and not for the better.
- Absolutely FantasticFredVIPDined on 5/30/2014As always, our meal was perfect: delicious, well presented, and unlike anything served elsewhere. The unique combinations and flavors confirm that we are not at a supper club...and make me wonder whether I really am in Milwaukee.who else serves a burger made with braised beef? My wife loves it! Their craft cocktail and tap beer menu will blow you away! I haven't found one to beat the Dutch Relic which is garnished with a freshly burnt lemon peel. The hostess welcomes us as if she has been awaiting our arrival, and our waiter was excellent, both in knowledge of the menu and professional service. Making selections is difficult....leaving is even harder.Special Features:
- DisappointedSteveDined on 5/30/2014Food was only fair. Service was fine and the place is neat but the food was disappointing. I think they try too hard to be 'different'...stick to basics and do them well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014The menu is a little complicated if you're new to the "gastropub" scene, but the items we ordered and saw served to other tables tasted and/or looked fantastic. Not for people watching their weight or with dietary restrictions! The duck confit poutine is great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014It was a very enjoyable experience and our waitress was attentive I would returnSpecial Features:
- Sunday brunch.NicoleVIPDined on 5/18/2014Great place for foodies. Nice selection and all very fresh. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another visitAnnBoboutandaboutDined on 5/17/2014We've eaten here a number of times, each time trying something different on the menu. This time, we were joined by two other couples and we all were pleased with the mean and service. There were small things that could have been better (thus the four star ratings instead of five) but all in all we really like this place and will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Unique and deliicousKellySueDined on 5/14/2014This was my first visit to Prodigal Gastropub. It far exceeded my expectations in the dining experience and the atmosphere. My friend and I chose to dine at the bar. The staff were not only attentive, but fun and friendly. I am glad I found it!Special Features: