2701 6th Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98406Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.primogrilltacoma.com/index.php
- Phone: 2533837000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Charlie McManus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Primo Grill
Primo Grill is a chef driven Mediterranean by Northwest restaurant showcasing the best of local bounty. Local wild caught fish, meats from local farms and foraged produce feature from the grill and brick oven. Owners Chef Charlie McManus and Jacqueline Plattner offer a relaxed yet sophisticated experience with an emphasis on Washington wines and hand muddled artisanal cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Primo Grill - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
Primo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (32)hot spot (21)good for groups (19)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I had my birthday party held at this restaurant and I had one diner with very specific dietary needs and this restaurants owner, weight staff and cooks went above and beyond to meet these needs. The food was off the charts on flavor and presentation. The portions were very filling. The meal was the best I have had in a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantWilliamDined on 10/17/2014This is a great addition to the ongoing neighborhood renovation that is taking place. The service was outstanding and the food was good. We went as a group of six with a reservation of 1900hrs. We were promptly sat and our server was right there to make us feel welcomed. Very lively place yet the service was on time in all areas. I had the lamb chops and they were delicious. I also had the local amber beer and it was tasty in a good way. Please treat yourself to an enjoyable evening at this establishment. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Grear neighborhood finesambro55Dined on 10/16/2014Delicious meal, try the Chicken under brick, and apple dessert with cream. Excellent local fineSpecial Features:
- brownspointfoodiesDined on 10/16/2014The new Primo's is great. . . wish we had the old parking lot but hey.Special Features:
- Cannot go wrong with PrimoGooddiningseekerDined on 10/11/2014Excellent!! Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) has been twice for dinner, both visits equally enjoyed .. top rate dining experience. Food is locally sourced where possible, top quality and every item ordered was better than great and enjoyed by all (even with picky eaters on board). Family owned restaurant with much attention to detail, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. Sophisticated yet lively décor and ambiance. Will definitely revisit when next in town, and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good, solid locavore food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Good, solid locavore food. Nothing overly complicated. Fairly limited menu. Nice cheery ambiance with attentive service. About the food: One of my companions ordered the mushroom pizza and reported it was a bit soggy, but tasty; that's a surprise for a place with a wood fired pizza oven. The rest of the dishes were prepared perfectly and presented well - nothing over the top. The burnt toffee pudding for dessert is a winner. We all enjoyed our evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pm333gemDined on 10/7/2014WE ALL HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC AND THE SERVICE AND HOSPITALITY WAS EXCEPTIONAL. THE OVERALL WARMTH AND COOL VIB OF THE INTERIOR ADDED TO A GREAT EVENING, SO WE DEFINITELY WILL BE COMING BACK.Special Features:
- New Location, same great PrimoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014We've been twice to the "new" Primo Grill (they moved up the street two blocks from their original location this summer). Both visits were wonderful. The new space has a younger vibe, and during the warm weather days up here in the NW, they can open the restaurant to take advantage of the weather. The menu is well thought-out, and now incorporates seasonal "specials." My wife enjoyed pumpkin ravioli and I had a superb smoked pork chop with peach chutney. Best for our family is that they are very kid-friendly--our daughter feels completely at home here. Only quibble is that the space can get a bit more noisy than their old location.Special Features:
- Nickled and Dimed!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014I found my dining experience at Primo Grill was mediocre at best. I was charged extra for bread and for an extra salad plate (to share a salad)! But in their defense, if one is on a diet I would highly recommend this place. Because the portions were minuscule! I mean bit sized! Tiny! You get the picture.
- A Din at DinnerGutBrainDined on 10/4/2014The food was terrific, the service attentive. My concern is the noise level. Admittedly, Friday night at the 7ish hour will tend to be boisterous. That's fine for the young crowd, but we Boomers lose our ability to hear single voices in the loud din as we age. Noise must sell. Although I'm baffled by the lack of bafflement in hot eating places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Location -6thandYummyDined on 10/3/2014First time at the new location. Food was superb. We has the brick chicken and salmon fettucine - both were very flavorful and well prepared and presented. Our server was attentive and pleasant. It was very busy, perhaps a bit loud at times as we were quite close to the bar, but even with the crowded Friday night the service was excellent and timely. The menu had various solid choices. We had the local sources mussels as a starter, lovely sauce. All in all, very good value and well worth a visit!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFoodieDined on 10/1/2014The new location works well for Primo Grill! This was my first time in the new location. Service was fantastic. Dinner and dessert was divine....Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pricey, good food.MarilynHDined on 9/30/2014The brick chicken and sticky toffee pudding was excellent. The restaurant felt a little like a bright warehouse, though. The entrees are overly expensive, and come with only a few pieces of potato and veggie. Salad is extra. Service was lovely. Parking is impossible, so be prepared to walkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- primo muy muchoGood2GoDined on 9/26/2014Great food, comfortable atmosphere. Loved it. ........................... Good ..........................stuffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceStiner23Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent food, ambiance, service. Priced moderately. Overall, great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrificprimohatDined on 9/20/2014terrific place to dine with great food and service, tho I did like the old place better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Primo is primo!StoermyDined on 9/15/2014We were in need of a little "just because" night out, and Primo really fit the bill. We'd dined at the old location a couple blocks away several times, but this was our first visit to the new Primo. Our table was a little awkwardly situated, but the service was fantastic, and the food was delicious. We were surprised at how quickly it came from the kitchen - a nice surprise! I ordered the ribeye, which was fork-tender and full of flavor. My partner ordered a seasonal pasta dish, which we also really enjoyed. We were also very happy with our appetizers - the famously good cheesy polenta, and a seasonal bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes. We'd order both appetizers and entrees again. Top notch dining on 6th Ave!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Always a great place for dining. The staff is welcoming, polite and attentive. Food always well prepared, tasty and too my taste. New ambiance is pleasant.Special Features:
- Nice experienceDeviantDetroiterDined on 9/7/2014Me and the wife went there for the first time the other night. I tried the rack of lamb and she had salmon w/ pasta. Both were prepared wonderfully, and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- Great dinnerKsell028Dined on 9/6/2014We were celebrating our anniversary. It was a beautiful sunny warm evening and we were seated next to the open window ...perfect table. We started with the calamari which was the best we have ever had. We asked for bread to soak up every last drop of the sauce. We shared a Caesar salad. I ordered the salmon and my husband had the scallops. Both were very well prepared and beyond delicious. It turned out that we had a wonderful celebration of our anniversary.Special Features:
- DisappointedReallyTTownDined on 8/31/2014The move to the new Primo fundamentally changed the place. Limited menu and wine list. No ambiance at all. Now basically eating in a bar instead of a good restaurant. Now just like every other restaurant on 6th Ave. Nothing special.
- Customer of many yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Lively ambience. Great bar. Friendly service. Calamari appetizer, fig-prosciutto pizza, and saffron crab pasts dish were very tasty. Definitely will come again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- former location betterfooddandyDined on 8/30/2014The new location of Primo Grill just isn't the same as the old one, nor was the experience. This location is open and noisy. It was packed on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend, so I'm glad I made a reservation for my group. The bar is larger - helpful for alcohol sales. However, one can no longer sit on the line and watch the cooking action, which was one of the special things about the old primo location. the old primo was intimate and interesting. This set up is nothing special. The food I had this time (crab with homemade fettuccine) was not up to Primo's usual great standards. Meh. I'll be back and hopefully will have a better experience to report.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and Miss, Mostly MissJPaigeDined on 8/29/2014We loved the old Primo Grill and were looking forward to their new update and location. I am sure they will be much busier In the new location but we won't be back. Decor is like a cheap pizza parlor. Tables are close together and the waiters have to lean over other guests to talk to you because it is so noisy. Our waiter was horrible: sweaty hands whisked dishes and silverware away between courses and never brought us new ones, water never refilled unless we yelled someone down, never offered to explain menu or tell us about specials, didn't know wine list. Plus when you come in off the street there is no space to wait for table; you are just crammed in by the door. Food was fine but everything else was so bad we barely noticed!
- Memorable foodsusyqDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food...a carryover from the former location. (All my visits to Primo Grill over the years have been memorable.) The service was also excellent, making for a leisurely dining experience. The only drawback to the new location is the horrendous noise level when it's crowded. I would have given the restaurant 5 stars except for the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still My Tacoma FavoriteWildBillDined on 8/29/2014The new location features terrific cuisine and delightful choices. The restaurant was airy and light. The service was prompt and attentive but not bothersome. Jacqueline and Charlie still prowl the premises cheerfully and cordially.Special Features:
- 6th AvenuejaneDined on 8/23/2014The new location of Primo Grill is wonderful, BUT, parking is difficult on a busy Saturday evening and with the windows open, the traffic noise often overwhelms the table conversation. The food is great!Special Features:
- PerfectoCatoDined on 8/23/2014Wait staff was amazing and the food was perfecto and very impressed with their wine selection - especially good choices on Oregon Pinot Noir. Thin Crust Prosciutto pizza was a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant has changed.PspaceODined on 8/22/2014Missed the grilled bread and shrimp. Flat bread OK (more bread less cheese), Calamari and grilled vegetables were great! Rest of meal was OK. The real problem was, I think, because the staff is still trying to get there bearings at the new location. There seamed to be a lot of stress. At the old location staff was much more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New locationTimloves2eatDined on 8/22/2014Long time Tacoma operation updates/changes their location and changes the menu. We tried lots of different items and cocktails. All were fantastic! Primo opened up their new building just a coue weeks ago and if their were any kinks to be worked out they clearly had. We had a 615 reservation and by 7p the place was rocking...cheers to Chef Charlie and wife Jackie....well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 8/21/2014Dinner was excellent. Cost of MP fish was outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pierce's BestBestDined on 8/19/2014Whether watching the chefs from the Cook Line or enjoying a comfortable table I consistently receive the best service and finest meals in Pierce County. The menu offers many fine choices, which I appreciate since I don't eat beef and do eat gluten free and dairy free foods. Charlie and Jacqueline have don't an awesome job with this new space. Congratulations!!!Special Features:
- Vibrant, updated PrimoMJAbeDined on 8/19/2014Love the emphasis on seasonal dishes. Also liked more lower price options in pizzas and pastas. Enjoyed the light, open feeling of the restaurant. We will visit the bar now that there is more room versus the previous location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Location, Still GreatSkipBDined on 8/18/2014Primo Grill has moved a couple of blocks east down Sixth Ave. to a slightly grittier part of the same neighborhood. The new space will take a little getting used to but the food is still excellent and the service is very professional and friendly. Give them a try if you haven't dined there before, and go check out the new location if you are a Primo fan from the past!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Dinner in TacomaKBLSDined on 8/18/2014Good service. Nice opening to outside and street activities. Great specialty cocktails, good main courses and tasty dessert (but they were out of vanilla ice cream). Could have used a little more bread with the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKFattyDined on 8/18/2014The atmosphere is really pleasing at the new location, and the open air feel was really pleasant. Our bruschetta was burnt on the outside of the bread, and middle became soggy extremely quickly from all the tomato juices, which made us regret that we ordered it. We both enjoyed our pasta, although the portions were on the smaller side. Service was great, and our waiter was very friendly. Overall, I'd give it a C. I doubt we will be back, as for the price you pay at Primo Grill does not reflect the quality or portion sizes you should get. **additionally, despite their website saying they have a happy hour, we were informed upon arrival they no longer do this at the new location.Special Features:
- SweetpeaDined on 8/17/2014We frequented the Primo Grill at it's old location many times and were anxious to try out the new spot. The decor is lovely, the food is still as wonderful and the service is great. We missed seeing some of the old wait staff and some of our favorite dishes (grilled bread salad with veggies and sausage) and looking into the kitchen now that the kitchen area is in the back and only viewed by a few tables. We were a little disappointed to see that the wine list had changed and parking isn't so great(but it wasn't great at the other location either). Still, we had a wonderful dining experience and will certainly come back for more!!! Good luck in the new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar is excellent.TAER1155Dined on 8/13/2014The service for dinner of a table for 5 was slow and my food was cold when it was received.
- Primo is primo!MikeM98465Dined on 8/13/2014We hoped that in their move to a new spot, they didn't "mess things up." They didn't. Great food---from the pizza a child had to the Pork Chops, Salmon, Spaghetti or Seafood Pasta dishes others had, everyone commented how tasty the actual food was. The appetizers we had as well---a chick pea fritter small plate as well as Bruschetta, was also very tasty---the Bruschetta seemingly overflowing with local tomato goodness. We also liked the specialty cocktails--some more than others. The desserts were also good--a companion said the brownie sundae was "the best brownie ever"! The little pies had a flaky crust, were good but could have been great (lacked salt?). It was noisy because it was full on a weeknight, but in a good way. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We had a great time and a great meal! Love the fresh, new locationSpecial Features: