2701 6th Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98406Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.primogrilltacoma.com/index.php
- Phone: 2533837000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Charlie McManus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Primo Grill
Primo Grill is a chef driven Mediterranean by Northwest restaurant showcasing the best of local bounty. Local wild caught fish, meats from local farms and foraged produce feature from the grill and brick oven. Owners Chef Charlie McManus and Jacqueline Plattner offer a relaxed yet sophisticated experience with an emphasis on Washington wines and hand muddled artisanal cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Primo Grill - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
Primo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (32)romantic (17)good for groups (15)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hit and Miss, Mostly MissJPaigeDined on 8/29/2014We loved the old Primo Grill and were looking forward to their new update and location. I am sure they will be much busier In the new location but we won't be back. Decor is like a cheap pizza parlor. Tables are close together and the waiters have to lean over other guests to talk to you because it is so noisy. Our waiter was horrible: sweaty hands whisked dishes and silverware away between courses and never brought us new ones, water never refilled unless we yelled someone down, never offered to explain menu or tell us about specials, didn't know wine list. Plus when you come in off the street there is no space to wait for table; you are just crammed in by the door. Food was fine but everything else was so bad we barely noticed!
- Memorable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent food...a carryover from the former location. (All my visits to Primo Grill over the years have been memorable.) The service was also excellent, making for a leisurely dining experience. The only drawback to the new location is the horrendous noise level when it's crowded. I would have given the restaurant 5 stars except for the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still My Tacoma FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The new location features terrific cuisine and delightful choices. The restaurant was airy and light. The service was prompt and attentive but not bothersome. Jacqueline and Charlie still prowl the premises cheerfully and cordially.Special Features:
- PerfectoCatoDined on 8/23/2014Wait staff was amazing and the food was perfecto and very impressed with their wine selection - especially good choices on Oregon Pinot Noir. Thin Crust Prosciutto pizza was a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant has changed.PspaceODined on 8/22/2014Missed the grilled bread and shrimp. Flat bread OK (more bread less cheese), Calamari and grilled vegetables were great! Rest of meal was OK. The real problem was, I think, because the staff is still trying to get there bearings at the new location. There seamed to be a lot of stress. At the old location staff was much more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New locationTimloves2eatDined on 8/22/2014Long time Tacoma operation updates/changes their location and changes the menu. We tried lots of different items and cocktails. All were fantastic! Primo opened up their new building just a coue weeks ago and if their were any kinks to be worked out they clearly had. We had a 615 reservation and by 7p the place was rocking...cheers to Chef Charlie and wife Jackie....well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pierce's BestBestDined on 8/19/2014Whether watching the chefs from the Cook Line or enjoying a comfortable table I consistently receive the best service and finest meals in Pierce County. The menu offers many fine choices, which I appreciate since I don't eat beef and do eat gluten free and dairy free foods. Charlie and Jacqueline have don't an awesome job with this new space. Congratulations!!!Special Features:
- Vibrant, updated PrimoMJAbeDined on 8/19/2014Love the emphasis on seasonal dishes. Also liked more lower price options in pizzas and pastas. Enjoyed the light, open feeling of the restaurant. We will visit the bar now that there is more room versus the previous location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Location, Still GreatSkipBDined on 8/18/2014Primo Grill has moved a couple of blocks east down Sixth Ave. to a slightly grittier part of the same neighborhood. The new space will take a little getting used to but the food is still excellent and the service is very professional and friendly. Give them a try if you haven't dined there before, and go check out the new location if you are a Primo fan from the past!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Dinner in TacomaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Good service. Nice opening to outside and street activities. Great specialty cocktails, good main courses and tasty dessert (but they were out of vanilla ice cream). Could have used a little more bread with the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKFattyDined on 8/18/2014The atmosphere is really pleasing at the new location, and the open air feel was really pleasant. Our bruschetta was burnt on the outside of the bread, and middle became soggy extremely quickly from all the tomato juices, which made us regret that we ordered it. We both enjoyed our pasta, although the portions were on the smaller side. Service was great, and our waiter was very friendly. Overall, I'd give it a C. I doubt we will be back, as for the price you pay at Primo Grill does not reflect the quality or portion sizes you should get. **additionally, despite their website saying they have a happy hour, we were informed upon arrival they no longer do this at the new location.Special Features:
- SweetpeaDined on 8/17/2014We frequented the Primo Grill at it's old location many times and were anxious to try out the new spot. The decor is lovely, the food is still as wonderful and the service is great. We missed seeing some of the old wait staff and some of our favorite dishes (grilled bread salad with veggies and sausage) and looking into the kitchen now that the kitchen area is in the back and only viewed by a few tables. We were a little disappointed to see that the wine list had changed and parking isn't so great(but it wasn't great at the other location either). Still, we had a wonderful dining experience and will certainly come back for more!!! Good luck in the new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Primo is primo!MikeM98465Dined on 8/13/2014We hoped that in their move to a new spot, they didn't "mess things up." They didn't. Great food---from the pizza a child had to the Pork Chops, Salmon, Spaghetti or Seafood Pasta dishes others had, everyone commented how tasty the actual food was. The appetizers we had as well---a chick pea fritter small plate as well as Bruschetta, was also very tasty---the Bruschetta seemingly overflowing with local tomato goodness. We also liked the specialty cocktails--some more than others. The desserts were also good--a companion said the brownie sundae was "the best brownie ever"! The little pies had a flaky crust, were good but could have been great (lacked salt?). It was noisy because it was full on a weeknight, but in a good way. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We had a great time and a great meal! Love the fresh, new locationSpecial Features:
- Great night outsmltwngrlDined on 8/8/2014We spent our fifth anniversary and first night out away from our four month old here. Enjoyed the food immensely, and the new location. Ambience wasn't quite as romantic as the last location but still very nice. Would come back to this restaurant often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerDineeTamiDined on 7/17/2014I had the scallops and the other party had the lamb. Both were excellent. Perfect portion sizes. Nice Wine... Could offer more beer on draft.Special Features:
- Love the PrimoKellyDined on 6/29/2014You can never go wrong with the Primo. My kids love the pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantCookslove2eatDined on 6/27/2014We always sit at the cook line bar. We are both cooks and love to watch the artists cook this wonderful food over a wood fire and a wood fired oven.Special Features:
- UncannyDined on 6/26/2014I enjoy sitting at the counter to watch Charlie and his crew prepare their outstanding food. It is a great show along with wonderful foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionburniDined on 6/20/2014Highly recommend. Service was spot on. Ribeye Steak and Cojo Salmon was cooked to perfection. Good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantDiningwithCharlieDined on 6/18/2014I have been going to Primo Grill for over 10 years and am never disappointed. it is equally good for parties of 12 as for intimate dinners. Our grandchildren love to eat here, although it i not a family restaurant. The owner/chef is talented. His specials are truly special. A few nights ago I had a halibut dish that was incredibly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always. TheLizbethDined on 6/15/2014Copper River Salmon was available and deliciously prepared. Our table had 4 different entrees and all were savory and expertly prepared. There service is quick and friendly. A great place for family friends or that special evening. Our favorite restaurant in Tacoma-by far.Special Features:
- more than happy hourjndndmVIPDined on 6/13/2014we came for the happy hour specials but went with the main menu instead, everything on the menu is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Content with Lifeblessed2eatDined on 5/27/2014This place was brand new for my wife and me. We loved it! We really felt the food was exceptional and done at a level that was well worthy of any fine dining restaurant. The atmosphere and decor was simple but had a relaxed elegant feel to it--it definitely had a romance to it. The server was personable, friendly, attentive and everything you would want a host to be. Also, the wine list had a great selection of wines you wouldn't just see anywhere. Primo Grill is truly a place you would go back to over and over again!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Primo Grill is our favorite quality dining experience in Tacoma. We go for the extremely high quality food mainly, but the reputation for buying from local farmers and then serving them and caring for the community is a very close second for our reason for returning when we have dining funds.Special Features:
- izze1Dined on 5/22/2014Primo is a great restaurant. The food is always prepared with a flair and the flavors are absolutely wonderful. We had copper river salmon - the salmon was cooked perfectly and the risotto was to die for! I always love Primo!Special Features:
- UPS Area DiningSonomaDaveDined on 5/17/2014This restaurant was very nice. Although near UPS, it is priced above the college crowd, and so we were able to get in at the last minute graduation weekend. Service was good as was the food. Noise level was tolerable.
- Great place to bring a date!BrandonDined on 5/17/2014I took my date for prom here, not knowing at all what the place even looked like and just going off online reviews. I was thoroughly amazed at the overall ambience and location of the restaurant. It is in a nice quiet part of Tacoma that isn't too busy. I was seated right away and taken care. After putting my order in I got my food within 10-15 minutes, it was amazing! The food was so amazing although somewhat pricy ($15 min. dishes) the price was well worth it. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2014The Primo Grill had been recommended to us. We were not disappointed. Great menu. Delicious food.
- Mother's Day Dinner 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We have been to Primo for special occasions several times. They always exceed our expectations.Special Features:
- Primo Mothers' Day!SkipBDined on 5/11/2014We brunched at Primo Grill on Mothers' Day and enjoyed an excellent meal, choosing among breakfast items and lunch/dinner items as each person preferred. For my 13yo daughter they made a cheese pizza that wasn't on the menu. Everyone enjoyed their selections and the service was accommodating and timely. The noise level is a little high for my taste, but fellow diners were more to blame than the establishment (no loud music, just loud talkers). This restaurant is moving to a new location in the near future so we look forward to continuing to visit regularly!Special Features:
- The following 10 reviews are from the Primo Grill reviews archive.
- We keep going backFormerTucsoniteDined on 4/27/2014We have been many times to Primo Grill and love it every time: consistent, creative and excellent quality. Love sitting at the cook line. Try the saffron tagliatelle with truffle butter. Unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great late evening dinnerBradPDined on 4/25/2014We had a great late evening dinner at Primo on a recent visit to Tacoma. It may be the best place we've tried on our visits to the area. Everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- DependableJillybeanDined on 4/23/2014Always a pleasure to eat here. They never disappoint, and the calamari appetizer is to die for! I have never had a bad meal or bad service. Bryce was our server, and his enthusiasm was infectious. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- Nice but PriceyMarcDined on 4/20/2014Primo Grill is a nice place -- friendly, warm, and good service. However, it's not a value. Very pricey for what you get. $9 for a plate of 9 spears of grilled asparagus is too much!
- Good but pricylovedogsDined on 4/18/2014This place serves amazing food. But it's really really small servings, and pretty damn pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxxxProfessorDined on 4/15/2014Wonderful menu and fantastic specials. Best mix of choices in city. Everything well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaygoodfoodDined on 4/5/2014Took son and daughter In law for dinner. Food was very good as usual. Server was excellent, was there if needed and provided extra assistance to daughter in law without being asked. My go to place for a good dinner on almost any evening, both friends and family.Special Features:
- Not coming backddddilnDined on 4/2/2014Salmon was over cooked, specials weren't very special and the bread was burnt. Disappointing evening, for sure.Special Features:
- Excellent early supper at Primo.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014We tried the happy hour supper options at Primo. This consists of a good list of small plates, all priced at $5. The quality is excellent, and the choices cover meat and vegetarian dishes & small pizzas. Primo's is a short drive from The Grand Cinema in Tacoma. An early supper here, followed by a film at the Grand, makes a great outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.