2701 6th Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98406Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.primogrilltacoma.com/index.php
- Phone: (253) 383-7000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Charlie McManus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Primo Grill
Primo Grill is a chef driven Mediterranean by Northwest restaurant showcasing the best of local bounty. Local wild caught fish, meats from local farms and foraged produce feature from the grill and brick oven. Owners Chef Charlie McManus and Jacqueline Plattner offer a relaxed yet sophisticated experience with an emphasis on Washington wines and hand muddled artisanal cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Primo Grill - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
Primo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (45)good for groups (29)hot spot (24)romantic (21)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- drayeDined on 11/21/2014Great food. Great service. Wonderful owners. We were a party of six. Our waiter apparently noticed when we gave our grown son a birthday card after dinner. When our desserts came our son's had a candle in it. Nice. So glad they are in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totallly Awesome ExperiencesweetsignsDined on 11/20/2014This was our first (not our last) visit to Primo. The server, Brice, was completely enchanting and accommodating. The menu was so unique, making a selection was difficult. But nothing could have prepared me for how absolutely outstanding all the food including a delectable dessert menu was. I think this will become my favorite spot for special occasion meals. Pricy, but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandG Gig HarborsilgigharborDined on 11/19/2014Great food-with locally sourced ingredients. Simple tasty preparations. Love the pizza-thin amazing crust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed dinersTTownfoodieDined on 11/8/2014We were hoping for a special night out to celebrate a birthday, having been fans of Primo Grill's previous location. But we were really disappointed. It was so loud that we could barely hold a conversation. We ordered cocktails at $10 each. My drink came with a big glob of gooey black liquid on the rim; turns out if was salt - "to cut the sweetness," I was told - but that wasn't mentioned in the ingredients listing on the menu. My date got a small (highball-glass size), weak Margarita - definitely not worth $10. The appetizer (calamari) was very good, as were our pasta dishes (carbonara and smoked salmon). The prices of non-pasta entrees seemed high for Tacoma. We might be back for happy hour, but not for dinner. Just too loud and pricey.
- Intimate Dining, Wondeful FoodFoodieWannabeDined on 11/6/2014I've been to Primo twice and several times at their old location not far away. Food is wonderful (especially the chicken under a brick), the service is terrific. Their new location is open and airy, and in the summer they open two sides of the building so it feels like a sidewalk cafe. Great place to take out of town guests, have a romantic dinner, or just dinner out after a long day. Terrific wine list. Also, I have severe allergies to several foods, and the wait staff was more than willing to work with me. That is rare in the restaurant business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new location!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We've been going to Primo Grill for several years...and it continues to impress! The new location is great & we can't wait to come back. The roll up doors are going to be awesome when the weather warms back up. Be sure to try the smoked pork chop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJLCPDXDined on 10/31/2014We were visiting from Portland and saw this restaurant on open table. Had excellent food and drinks. Salmon was perfectly cooked and the pork chop was delicious. We would definitely go back if in town.Special Features:
- 2nd visitlisaDined on 10/31/2014We went with friends on Halloween. This was my 2nd time, but the 1st time for everyone else in the party of four. The food was amazing! The smoked salmon fettucini was light and creamy and salmon is smoked in house. Excellent!!! My husband had the rib eye and the flavor was awesome and it was cooked as ordered. The group was very impressed we will be back.Special Features:
- mixed reactionelderdinerDined on 10/29/2014Keep in mind that we are 70 years old, so the music was too loud for our liking...difficult to hear conversation. The pork chops were excellent...tender, flavorful and well presented, but the lamb chops were a disappointment. I expect that you will appeal more to the younger crowd now, and that is fine. We have always enjoyed Primo's fare and wish you well in the new setting.Special Features:
- good neighborhood spotlove2travelDined on 10/26/2014Took my boyfriend to Primo Grill for his birthday, the hostess was very nice and acknowledged his birthday. They must of had a busy Saturday night cause they were out of the first three drinks we ordered, NA beer, the Malbec draft wine on the menu and gingerale. We ordered the calamari to start, it was pretty delicious. For our entrees we each ordered the Ribeye steaks that were absolutely delicious! The sage butter and parmesan topping on the steaks sent it over the top! This is a good place to take a date or meet up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uplifting atmosphere Great foodPrimoloverDined on 10/24/2014Uplifting, transformative, personal and festive are my feelings about. primo Grill. The attentive staff, the local ingredients, the chef's creations, the festive and joyful atmosphere make for a great restaurant. Primo Grill is a special place for food, to celebrate life and well of course eat. Thank you Jacqueline and Charlie and everyone on the staff. You all bring magic to eating out. If you are looking for a quality restaurant that supports local agriculture look no further than Primo Grill. The food, the staff, the atmosphere are all conducive to a great diinning experience. Whether you Have a special event to celebrate or just need a healing meal, Primo Grill can lift your spirits and transform your day. Primo is truly Primo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningmedcravingDined on 10/24/20143 of us each had fantastic meals! Liked that the menu is not so any options that it's overwhelming, but each option still has so much appeal we'll have to go back to try more of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Tacoma.OmnivoraciousAppetitusDined on 10/24/2014To say it was excellent is an understatement. I got the Apple Smoked Pork Chop, which was insanely delicious! I had to keep on reminding myself to savor every bite instead of devouring my plate. A couple appetizers and perfectly blended drinks made for a tasty, fun evening. Staff was all smiles, professional, engaging and look you in your eye. There is an excitement in this place. It feels alive. Most dishes are less than $30/plate, very reasonable for this level of cuisine. Could be priced $10 more and still feel like a fair shake. Highly recommended and will be first on my list for special occasions or a treat to myself! Get the Apple Wood Smoked Pork Chop. Trust me, get the friggin' pork chop! Every bite is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartydinerDliteDined on 10/19/2014I had my birthday party held at this restaurant and I had one diner with very specific dietary needs and this restaurants owner, weight staff and cooks went above and beyond to meet these needs. The food was off the charts on flavor and presentation. The portions were very filling. The meal was the best I have had in a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantWilliamDined on 10/17/2014This is a great addition to the ongoing neighborhood renovation that is taking place. The service was outstanding and the food was good. We went as a group of six with a reservation of 1900hrs. We were promptly sat and our server was right there to make us feel welcomed. Very lively place yet the service was on time in all areas. I had the lamb chops and they were delicious. I also had the local amber beer and it was tasty in a good way. Please treat yourself to an enjoyable evening at this establishment. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Grear neighborhood finesambro55Dined on 10/16/2014Delicious meal, try the Chicken under brick, and apple dessert with cream. Excellent local fineSpecial Features:
- brownspointfoodiesDined on 10/16/2014The new Primo's is great. . . wish we had the old parking lot but hey.Special Features:
- Cannot go wrong with PrimoGooddiningseekerDined on 10/11/2014Excellent!! Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) has been twice for dinner, both visits equally enjoyed .. top rate dining experience. Food is locally sourced where possible, top quality and every item ordered was better than great and enjoyed by all (even with picky eaters on board). Family owned restaurant with much attention to detail, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. Sophisticated yet lively décor and ambiance. Will definitely revisit when next in town, and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good, solid locavore food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Good, solid locavore food. Nothing overly complicated. Fairly limited menu. Nice cheery ambiance with attentive service. About the food: One of my companions ordered the mushroom pizza and reported it was a bit soggy, but tasty; that's a surprise for a place with a wood fired pizza oven. The rest of the dishes were prepared perfectly and presented well - nothing over the top. The burnt toffee pudding for dessert is a winner. We all enjoyed our evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pm333gemDined on 10/7/2014WE ALL HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC AND THE SERVICE AND HOSPITALITY WAS EXCEPTIONAL. THE OVERALL WARMTH AND COOL VIB OF THE INTERIOR ADDED TO A GREAT EVENING, SO WE DEFINITELY WILL BE COMING BACK.Special Features:
- New Location, same great PrimoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014We've been twice to the "new" Primo Grill (they moved up the street two blocks from their original location this summer). Both visits were wonderful. The new space has a younger vibe, and during the warm weather days up here in the NW, they can open the restaurant to take advantage of the weather. The menu is well thought-out, and now incorporates seasonal "specials." My wife enjoyed pumpkin ravioli and I had a superb smoked pork chop with peach chutney. Best for our family is that they are very kid-friendly--our daughter feels completely at home here. Only quibble is that the space can get a bit more noisy than their old location.Special Features:
- Nickled and Dimed!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014I found my dining experience at Primo Grill was mediocre at best. I was charged extra for bread and for an extra salad plate (to share a salad)! But in their defense, if one is on a diet I would highly recommend this place. Because the portions were minuscule! I mean bit sized! Tiny! You get the picture.
- A Din at DinnerGutBrainDined on 10/4/2014The food was terrific, the service attentive. My concern is the noise level. Admittedly, Friday night at the 7ish hour will tend to be boisterous. That's fine for the young crowd, but we Boomers lose our ability to hear single voices in the loud din as we age. Noise must sell. Although I'm baffled by the lack of bafflement in hot eating places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Location -6thandYummyDined on 10/3/2014First time at the new location. Food was superb. We has the brick chicken and salmon fettucine - both were very flavorful and well prepared and presented. Our server was attentive and pleasant. It was very busy, perhaps a bit loud at times as we were quite close to the bar, but even with the crowded Friday night the service was excellent and timely. The menu had various solid choices. We had the local sources mussels as a starter, lovely sauce. All in all, very good value and well worth a visit!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFoodieDined on 10/1/2014The new location works well for Primo Grill! This was my first time in the new location. Service was fantastic. Dinner and dessert was divine....Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pricey, good food.MarilynHDined on 9/30/2014The brick chicken and sticky toffee pudding was excellent. The restaurant felt a little like a bright warehouse, though. The entrees are overly expensive, and come with only a few pieces of potato and veggie. Salad is extra. Service was lovely. Parking is impossible, so be prepared to walkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful discoveryWorldinerDined on 9/27/2014Primo Grill was featured on TV Tacoma...so my Wife and I decided to give it a shot. Outstanding food...excellent service...Seattle has nothing on this Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- primo muy muchoGood2GoDined on 9/26/2014Great food, comfortable atmosphere. Loved it. ........................... Good ..........................stuffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceStiner23Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent food, ambiance, service. Priced moderately. Overall, great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrificprimohatDined on 9/20/2014terrific place to dine with great food and service, tho I did like the old place better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Primo is primo!StoermyDined on 9/15/2014We were in need of a little "just because" night out, and Primo really fit the bill. We'd dined at the old location a couple blocks away several times, but this was our first visit to the new Primo. Our table was a little awkwardly situated, but the service was fantastic, and the food was delicious. We were surprised at how quickly it came from the kitchen - a nice surprise! I ordered the ribeye, which was fork-tender and full of flavor. My partner ordered a seasonal pasta dish, which we also really enjoyed. We were also very happy with our appetizers - the famously good cheesy polenta, and a seasonal bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes. We'd order both appetizers and entrees again. Top notch dining on 6th Ave!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Always a great place for dining. The staff is welcoming, polite and attentive. Food always well prepared, tasty and too my taste. New ambiance is pleasant.Special Features:
- Nice experienceDeviantDetroiterDined on 9/7/2014Me and the wife went there for the first time the other night. I tried the rack of lamb and she had salmon w/ pasta. Both were prepared wonderfully, and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- Great dinnerKsell028Dined on 9/6/2014We were celebrating our anniversary. It was a beautiful sunny warm evening and we were seated next to the open window ...perfect table. We started with the calamari which was the best we have ever had. We asked for bread to soak up every last drop of the sauce. We shared a Caesar salad. I ordered the salmon and my husband had the scallops. Both were very well prepared and beyond delicious. It turned out that we had a wonderful celebration of our anniversary.Special Features:
- DisappointedReallyTTownDined on 8/31/2014The move to the new Primo fundamentally changed the place. Limited menu and wine list. No ambiance at all. Now basically eating in a bar instead of a good restaurant. Now just like every other restaurant on 6th Ave. Nothing special.
- Customer of many yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Lively ambience. Great bar. Friendly service. Calamari appetizer, fig-prosciutto pizza, and saffron crab pasts dish were very tasty. Definitely will come again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- former location betterfooddandyDined on 8/30/2014The new location of Primo Grill just isn't the same as the old one, nor was the experience. This location is open and noisy. It was packed on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend, so I'm glad I made a reservation for my group. The bar is larger - helpful for alcohol sales. However, one can no longer sit on the line and watch the cooking action, which was one of the special things about the old primo location. the old primo was intimate and interesting. This set up is nothing special. The food I had this time (crab with homemade fettuccine) was not up to Primo's usual great standards. Meh. I'll be back and hopefully will have a better experience to report.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and Miss, Mostly MissJPaigeDined on 8/29/2014We loved the old Primo Grill and were looking forward to their new update and location. I am sure they will be much busier In the new location but we won't be back. Decor is like a cheap pizza parlor. Tables are close together and the waiters have to lean over other guests to talk to you because it is so noisy. Our waiter was horrible: sweaty hands whisked dishes and silverware away between courses and never brought us new ones, water never refilled unless we yelled someone down, never offered to explain menu or tell us about specials, didn't know wine list. Plus when you come in off the street there is no space to wait for table; you are just crammed in by the door. Food was fine but everything else was so bad we barely noticed!
- Memorable foodsusyqDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food...a carryover from the former location. (All my visits to Primo Grill over the years have been memorable.) The service was also excellent, making for a leisurely dining experience. The only drawback to the new location is the horrendous noise level when it's crowded. I would have given the restaurant 5 stars except for the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still My Tacoma FavoriteWildBillDined on 8/29/2014The new location features terrific cuisine and delightful choices. The restaurant was airy and light. The service was prompt and attentive but not bothersome. Jacqueline and Charlie still prowl the premises cheerfully and cordially.Special Features: