Primitivo Wine Bistro
1025 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Primitivo Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.primitivowinebistro.com/
- Phone: 3103965353
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 12:00-2:30 pm. Dinner: Daily, 5:30pm - closing. Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday 5:30-6:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Eddy Shin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private patio rental available.
- Private Party Contact: Eryn Thomas 3103965353
- Special Events: Wine tastings and wine dinners.
A word from Primitivo Wine Bistro
This Mediterranean wine bistro has a West Coast shabby chic vibe, complete with showy linen drapes, rustic wooden tables and boisterous, hip diners. The tapas menu features both cold (ranging from antipasto to an assortment of olives) and hot (including bacon wrapped medjool dates and braised beef short ribs) varieties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Primitivo Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (51)fit for foodies (49)notable wine list (36)romantic (31)good for groups (27)special occasion (27)great for brunch (23)great for lunch (19)hot spot (17)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- always tastybellydancersforeverDined on 10/20/2014You can never go wrong picking Primitivo. it is always been a great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/19/2014We have eaten here many times before, and never had a problem. It was Sunday night at 6:15pm. We ordered sliders and beet salad, and then 2 entrees. I received my salad and then they brought my entrée before my husband got his sliders, which took 40 minutes. Main course was delivered after that (served hot). The food was good but the service lacked and was inattentive. Timing was off .
- Great price for Great experience!LAdinerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food is delicious, wine list is fantastic and the atmosphere is charming! Typically that would equate to expensive prices, but this gem is priced so fairly!Special Features:
- Love this spot!elenaDined on 9/27/2014My hubby and I love this spot! It is so enjoyable every time we go there. Brunch is a MUST to do at Primitivo! There signature Scramble or Breakfast Pizza are to-die-for. And Elderflower Sparkling Sangria is the best!Special Features:
- BrunchBad2brunchVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was disgusting. My flatbread was like pizza with chunks of chorizo instead of small pieces. The egg was overlooked so there was nothing to dip the bread in. the mimosa was all OJ. I was very surprised because dinner there is much better. I'll never have brunch there again.Special Features:
- my birthdaythanksDined on 9/27/2014I have long been a fan of Primitivo, but on Sat 9/27 i celebrated my birthday there and it was perfect!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/20/2014food was good but the paella was mainly rice---very few ingredients which made it a steep price at 25$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The right size foodSteveVIPDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed out first time visit and our table was ready when we arrived, 7:30 PM. The service was excellent and type various dishes were all fabulous. Tiger Shrimp was favoriteSpecial Features:
- Realy enjoyedfoodflyerDined on 9/9/2014Our waiter was very attentive and nice and the food very good. We ordered the paella and beet salad, which the two of us shared. We are both big eaters and yet, there was plenty for the both of us. Having a groupon was just a bonus but I would return without it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Poor Service.VeniceLoveDined on 9/6/2014I love Primitivo, but have noticed a decline in service. We waited for menus. We waited for drinks and had to ask the bus boys numerous times to send the server over to the table to order more drinks. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMALL MUSSELS!KevinVIPDined on 8/30/2014Came back to this place, brought 4 friends to share in what I'd hoped to be another great dining experience, but was very disappointed.. We drove way out of our way to have what I'd remembered as the 'BEST' mussel dish around. Much to my dismay, they no longer had those delicious mussels on the menu, and had changed the place around, pumped up their wine prices to 'sky-high' prices for wine, and had a new chef and were 'in transition' from old to new. (including menu items that are just not that great). Ordered mussels & found 'em sadly disappointing, & truly the SMALLEST mussels I've ever been served. Tapas menu items, like cheese plate were small and equally disappointing. Wine list is interesting & had good choices, but VERY pricey!Special Features:
- Worst possible experienceLinnyDined on 8/30/2014Bad food. Bad service. Bad ambience - and - grossly overpriced! Period.
- Abbot Kinney ExperienceHomecook100VIPDined on 8/29/2014This place seems to fit right into the vibe that you find on Abbot Kinney Blvd. Kind of cramped seating, funky bar, pretty good food, ok service. Our apps and main courses were very tasty. Our choice of desert turned out to be a bit disappointing, but they when we complained that half a mostly uncooked apple with a little ice cream and sauce really isn't and Apple crisp, they took it off our bill. They need to either changed the description on the menu, or change the recipe.Special Features:
- Great SangriaLuv2GNODined on 8/22/2014We went to Primitivo for a Friday Girls' Night Out. We were seated immediately, service was great, and they're known for their sangria. Food was good. Would definitely come here again for another girls' night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love tapas!lisasonrisaDined on 8/16/2014My fiance and I love to have tapas for a late lunch/early dinner, so when I saw the Groupon for Primitivo, I knew we had to try it out. I had also previously found Primitivo when I was looking up restaurants to host a wedding reception. On the day of our visit (we had spent a few hours shopping around Abbot-Kinney), the restaurant was hosting an engagement party and it looked lovely. Our dining experience was wonderful and our server was friendly and helpful. Definitely coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food at great pricesDesertFoodieDined on 8/15/2014We were facing LA traffic or stopping for dinner before driving back home, and we discovered Primitivo Wine Bistro. Our experience was very enjoyable and will return when we are in the area again. We ordered several tapas and shared them -- soft-shelled crab with the best red quinoa I have ever had, chicken liver pate with grapes caramelized in balsamic, and baked brie that was coated in panko crumbs and crushed walnuts. They were all superb. The complimentary bread for nothing really special, but was very good, and was especially so when dipped in the herb-infused olive oil. The wine choices were well-balanced and we were offered a sample before ordering a full bottle. The outdoor dining is very nice and has a "bohemian" decor.Special Features:
- LoveIluvfoodDined on 8/15/2014I love Primitivo! It's my favorite spot on the west side.Special Features:
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I had a wonderful romantic dinner last Friday. He had grilled Mahi Mahi and I had Spanish Paella. Both dishes were delicious. Our server, Jeni, suggested great wines to compliment our meals. The pace of the meal was good, and our server was attentive and helpful, without being overbearing. The ambiance was very nice.Special Features:
- Wine Good, Service So so, Food OkFoodDealsDined on 8/14/2014I enjoyed the ambiance and wine. The food was good but nothing that blew away my tastebuds. The lamb chops were cooked perfectly but lacked flavor and seasoning. The best dish was the lamb meatballs. Everything else, tiger shrimp, pate, seafood paella, was not too memorable. The service was lacking. We had to keep asking them to refill our water and they finally brought us a carafe during the last 20 min of our meal. The food took awhile to come out even though the restaurant was fairly empty. We used a Travelzoo deal which was $115 for 4 guests. It was a great deal, 4 tapas, 4 platos, 2 desserts and 4 glasses of wine. Good portions, we were well fed. I recommend Esperpento in SF Mission District.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindJosieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to Primitivo for a few years now and we love it! We usually share their Paella which is fabulous. We also share another entree and a dessert. The people are friendly and the service perfect. Give it a try!Special Features:
- Brunch is great!greengirl04Dined on 8/9/2014Came here for brunch on a Saturday. We had a reservation through Open Table. We opted for he outside patio seating. Our choice was a back corner table or a high top. We chose the back corner table. The back table was a little cramped. But it was nice to be outside. The food was delicious. It's a bit expensive for eggs and such bit it was really good. The bottomless mimosas were good. And towards the end they came around more often to refill. Especially at $15 - is like to get more than 2 fills. I would definitely come here again. It seems like it would be good for groups as they had a big group outside when we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Primitivo didn't disappointAriasDined on 8/6/2014Primitivo was a great experience. We ate outdoors fearing the noise level indoors. Outdoors had piped in music but it was ok. We ordered a good selection of tapas that were delicious and the kitchen was accommodating when we asked for moderate spice on the shrimp. Everything was made to order. The wait-staff was very helpful and energetic. The main dishes were a little less attractive than the tapas but my soft-shelled crab was very good although it was hidden by a bed of what I think was couscous or something I couldn't quite identify! The whitefish seemed to be a big clump. They had an extensive wine list at moderate (for restaurants) prices. I would be very happy to return to Primitivo and try some of their other main dishes.Special Features:
- Always Excellent ExperienceGoodFoodFanDined on 8/5/2014Primitivo never disappoints! We have gone there several times for both dinner and lunch, and the food is always excellent; the servers fun, lively, and very helpful with wine and food suggestions; plus the ambiance is so relaxing with an unpretentious local vibe. This past time we took a 'foodie' friend who was in town from Florida, and she loved it. Highly recommend for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed an array of tapas in the patio outside. Would definitely come againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Nice experience, the food was very tasty, pretty much everything we tried was great...the steak was a little dry but they switched without a fuss and the replacement lamb chops were even better...great service...will go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingFabiDined on 7/25/2014This was a disappointing evening. The tapas were not great, with only 4 pieces for the charcuterie. The Paella was burned, hand had a horrible taste. Ribeira wine was excellent but very expensive We were with our kids, so were put in a room next to the main room, with no atmosphere... Not a great evening for us indeed for such an expensive dinner!
- RichardDined on 7/12/2014Food (flatbread & Paella) both competently prepared, nicely presented, and very tasty with plentiful proportions. Nice neighborhood vibe with 20-somethings to 70-somethings. Warm, friendly, welcoming ambiance. Service attentive, especially for a busy bistro-like place, but not overboard. Eryn got everything right in a charming, effortless way. Kudos to her. It's one of our favorite places. About mid-price for the genre. Good wines, fairly priced. We'll be back.Special Features:
- good food, poor serviceEavesdrop20Dined on 7/11/2014me and my five other friends went to have dinner last 7/11/14.. food was great esp the paella and their chicken. What upset us was their poor service. I dont know if our server was overwhelmed, but she didn't even get back to us as much as we needed her to.. we wanted to order more drinks or even just have our water refilled. she was nowhere to be found. We were already upset by the time she got back to check on us. I dont know if she just didnt really care???!! Because they're going to get 18% gratuity regardless, good or poor service that is. We are not coming back here.Special Features:
- Ok but no need to come backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014The paella was very good but everything else we ordered was really average. Just an unremarkable experience all around. There's too many great places out there to go back a second time.Special Features:
- Make sure they are really openFFFFDined on 7/5/2014They took and confirmed a reservation for us on the Fourth of July. We were from out of town and so had no car, other option, or fallback plan. Very disappointed that they left us stuck.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!Luv2EatDined on 7/5/2014I've been here several times and will continue to dine here. It's beautiful in the outside garden, the staff is lovely and the dishes to choose from are delicious. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be amazinginSouthLADined on 7/1/2014The wine list and menu at Primitivo are very good - nice selection, good range and fine quality. Ordered one of the special salads and received something quite plain, missing most of the highlighted ingredients (no pears, no walnuts in this salad). And then we requested another salad as a replacement "pan seared yellow peaches, etc." but the peaches were neither seared nor ripe. Everything else -- for a table of 4 -- was good and as described.Special Features:
- YummyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Always good! Repeat visitor (numerous times) but first time on the Patio! Loved the ambiance on the Patii. Paella was excellent as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 264 reviews are from the Primitivo Wine Bistro reviews archive.
- Venice gemSusthoughtsDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant is always consistent with the quality and taste of their food. Lamb chops, salmon , and paella are superb! Servers are always friendly and nice. A neighborhood gem for Venice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor seating was not roomy.YelperDined on 6/15/2014Outdoor seating was not roomy. I did not have enough room to fit my chair, because someone from another table tried to fit his chair too, so I had to put my chair in the aisle. The outdoor does not have enough shade, and I was getting sunburn. I had to wait more than 10 minutes for a menu after I got seated. The empty dishes that were preset on the table had dust on it. The food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas!Milo1xDined on 6/5/2014Must try the paella and red sangria. Ambiance picks up after 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, good foodroblahblahVIPDined on 5/31/2014Had my OpenTable reservation, but still had to wait 30 minutes before being seated. After 20 minutes of waiting, I checked back in with the hostess and she told me "we dropped checks at several tables, but we have no control over how long they stay, so there isn't a table for you." I understand how seating works, but this wasn't the most customer friendly response... Bottle of wine I ordered took more than 20 minutes to arrive, so I guess overall I was disappointed that it was nearly an hour at a wine bar before I got some wine. Food was good though, so that helped redeem the somewhat lackluster service experience.
- AMAZING!Deb04Dined on 5/17/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend from France that is a foodie. My husband and I had GREAT evening. The server was super. The salad and short ribs were the best. We will look forward to going back!!!Special Features:
- Awesome PaellaSabrossDined on 5/12/2014I went there cause I wanted to try their paella and it was just delicious! And a good size for 2. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Always have a good time. Friendly staff. Enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.