Primi Ristorante Italiano
27 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, FL 33701Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Primi Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.primiurbancafe.com/
- Phone: 7278954909x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00- 11:00 Sunday 5:00-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tony Macaroni
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On & Off Site Catering
- Private Party Facilities: Private room under request
- Private Party Contact: Chef Tony Macaroni (727)895-4909x
- Entertainment: Live Piano Bar Every Night
A word from Primi Ristorante Italiano
The Klenke Family has taken over Primi, and all we can say is - HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT! This snazzy indoor/outdoor eatery has long been a downtown favorite. But now that Klenke enlisted an extraordinary kitchen staff to fine tune the menu, locals and out-of-towners are converging in record numbers. How have patrons weighed in thus far? Wrote one, "It’s such a joy when you find a restaurant that you want to go to every day..." And another enamored diner had this to say, "Primi is a fantastic local place that I will frequent again, and it is very reasonably priced...You could easily spend something comparable or more at a cookie-cutter chain -- but in the end, a place like Primi is a much more rewarding experience." Indeed, it is. For dinner, the Beef Carpaccio or Black Mussels in white wine ... Don't forget to ask for the home made deserts: Tiramisu' , Creme Brulee'...& more!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Primi Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointingRubyVIPDined on 1/8/2014We were the only patrons at 6:30 on a recent weeknight yet the waiter forgot to bring our calamari appy and we couldn't have the special of the night, potato wedges because they weren't ready. I ordered one of the other specials, the veal chop and what I got was veal fat with very little meat and no flavor. My friend had the red snapper which he said was good. He didn't realize that it was the whole fish with head and tail so he asked the waiter to have them removed but was told they could do that after the fish was cooked. We all had the creamy polenta that was nice and creamy and garlic spinach that was flavored perfectly. We came here after seeing a segment on tv but the lamb shank wasn't even on the menu. We won't go back.
- Long DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/23/2013The service was extrememly slow. The waitress said they were "slammed" when we got there. I think there were a total of 3 waiters and 2 cooks for the entire restaurant. It took 2 and half hour for our dinner. Had to ask for bread and remind our waitress that we had ordered salads. It was too bad as the food was really good when it finally came out.
- Poor service, no foodMedtwoDined on 11/23/2013Went for dinner before a show. Told the waitress we had tickets for an 8:00 performance, we arrived at 6:00 PM. Long story short, we were never served our entree. At 6:45 we were told that our food was not ready, at 7:00 we were told that there was no more Marsala sauce for the chicken. At 7:15 we asked to speak to the manager and were told he was just too busy to see us. At 7:20 we asked for the check. we were never given the check, so we left enough money to cover our drinks and appetizers and left at 7:30 PM in order to stop at 5 Guys and get something to eat. SO, we will never go back. Even though the salad and appetizers were very good!
- Love this restaurant!JPPTAPVIPDined on 11/22/2013The only thing we were disappointed in was that the valet wasn't there and the piano player this time of year (low season). Otherwise, we will continue to go back! The short ribs were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like the menu changesgoodeatsVIPDined on 9/6/2013The food and service were good. I like the changes to the menu from the old owners. Good job in getting Primi's back on track.
- Foodies, Take Note!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2013There's a new chef at Primi. She has true passion for the food she makes. Our server was so enthusiastic about the new menu it made us excited about the food we were about to eat. We received a complimentary sample of one of their flatbread appetizers. The salads, especially the Caesar salad, were very good. The Caesar was served with a half head of romaine that was grilled over a smokey flame giving it a great flavor. For dinner my partner had perfectly seared scallops and I had an amazing chicken dish where the chicken was first grilled, then poached in a white wine sauce. Chicken was moist and delicious. We each chose Parmesan polenta for a side. It was amazing. Hurry to Primi and enjoy their new menu and talented chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone Down HillThomasDYoungVIPDined on 8/30/2013Primi was once a great neighborhood restaurant. Under the new ownership, the restaurant has suffered. The food is still good, but it is unimaginative and very basic. To be honest, a novice cook with a good cook book could do just as well. The biggest problem is the service. While the staff is cordial and pleasant, they are not managed well, and the numerous mistakes are ignored or met with immature excuses. The owner is very personable and is clearly trying...but unfortunately it is even more clear that he has no idea what he is doing. If you want good Italian food in St Petersburg, go to Bella Brava or Moscatos. Primi's days are numbered.
- Food is still greatSarahDDined on 8/17/2013My husband and I first discovered this little place a few years ago. We heard it had changed ownership and had not been able to check it out since the change. The food was simply wonderful; everything is homemade. They also extended the happy hour to include the whole restaurant (it used to be just at the bar). It was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Italian eatery for StRNFoodieDined on 8/10/2013Have been here a total of 3 ties and each time it gets better. The ambiance is great, love the live piano music, something you get too much of anymore. Fod is fabulous, service excellent. I know that Tno Macaroni is no longer there so we'll have to go chack it out again and make sure they are staying up to snuff.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food No Pretentionremillard57Dined on 7/26/2013Italian classics without all the fluff. Good simple food done better than at home with great service and a decent wine list.Special Features:
- foodjhl1Dined on 5/11/2013the restaurant was very loud, our party of four was seating at a cramped table right on top of two other parties, veal was tough and over sauced and wait staff was stretched too thin.
- Excellent !! Good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013Excellent !! Good service, food. Piano player was a great surpriseSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/28/2013Excellent food and outstanding service! We will definitely return when we're back in town.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013Excellent food and service. Piano adds a nice touch. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & service continuesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/27/2013Primi is conistantly good with good food and good service. The new owner has retained the prior chef so many of the old favorites are still on the menu. This night I had my favorite pasta dish, the wild mushroom ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce. YummySpecial Features:
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013The food was wonderful, but the service was really amazing! This was a special occasion for us, and our first time at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian restaurantDaveDined on 2/9/2013I was in St.Pete for the half-marathon and the Primi menu offered multiple options for my "running" diet. I visited Primi on two occasions and enjoyed both meals. The restaurant was within walking distance from my hotel and accepted OpenTable. I would highly recommend the Insalata Di Spinaci and Lasagna Dei Primi; both dishes were fresh and satisfying. The wine selection was very decent and flavored Vodkas seemed extremely popular with the crowd.Special Features:
- In spite of making a reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013In spite of making a reservation, our table was not set up...in fact, it was the only table in the restaurant that was not set up. Only 2 other tables of diners were present. We had to stand and wait, then after being seated, waited an additional 10 minutes before we got water and our drink order was taken.
- They didn't accept our reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012They didn't accept our reservation. Called me & wanted to reschedule.
- We were there on ChristmasFranVIPDined on 12/24/2012We were there on Christmas eve and it was busy! The service was a little slow, but we were enjoying our party so it wasn't an issue. One issue - our after dinner cappuccino was horrible. Otherwise, we enjoyed the restaurant and although my husband and I would return, others in party stated they wouldn't.Special Features:
- New management and tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/27/2012New management and trying to work through all the kinks. Busy night and hard to deal with all the clients
- Very tasty food, downtown locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012With early reservations at 5pm we were the only couple in the entire place. In downtown St. Pete, Primi is right next door to a Hookah store, an almost immediate turn off for my wife as there were several "interesting characters" hanging around outside. We almost didn't even go in to Primi because of this and we definitely did not eat outside. Once seated a $15 bottle of beer was recommended to me, which was rather odd as my wife ordered a coke. I ended up ordering a draft and it came in a fancy glass, but was only half full... for $5.50. The dinner bread and pizza crust were fantastic. The signature lasagna was piping hot on the outside, but almost cold in the middle. Left me wondering if it was fresh.
- Real-deal ItalianwotanwinerDined on 10/31/2012Great find in downtown St. Pete, authentic recipes and flavors, reasonable prices. Loved the almost-all-Italian wine list. Charming but not stuffy atmosphere. Owner served us and was not only charming but most helpful and gracious in her suggestions and recommendations.Special Features:
- The restaurant's website statesOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/16/2012The restaurant's website states bottles of wine are half-price on two nights a week, but when we arrvied on one of those evenings, we were told that special was only valid on the other day.
- Love this cozy restaurantJPPTAPVIPDined on 9/15/2012Love this cozy restaurant because it's so close to the American Stage! And the food and service is good! Mushroom ravioli with browned sage butter is to die for!Special Features:
- We have dined here numerousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2012We have dined here numerous times and this restaurant has ranked as one of our favorite spots, but for some reason, the food quality has gone down hill. I know that it changed ownership a couple of years ago, but unsure what has caused the decline. After our recent visit, we've taken this restaurant off of our list.
- When in Rome? Do as the RomansOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012When in Rome? Do as the Romans do! I was delighted to find out that the owner, who was there, is a Roman transplant. The food was delicious! Live piano playing all night, and a fun/ quirky atmosphere!Special Features:
- It's always comforting toOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/28/2012It's always comforting to find an italian place where the owners and waitstaff are actually from italy. If you speak italian, order in italian; the staff will treat you with much respect.Special Features:
- Nice, comfortable, small Italian/MeJPPTAPVIPDined on 8/3/2012Nice, comfortable, small Italian/Mediterranean restaurant with great live piano music! And close to the American Stage Theater! Prosciutto and cheese appetizer was fantastic!Special Features:
- We decided to give Primi anotherJPPTAPVIPDined on 7/27/2012We decided to give Primi another try, and this time, we really enjoyed the food. The calamari was excellent and the gnocchi with gorgonzola cream was fantastic! They could have used a few extra waiters on Friday night, but overall we really enjoyed it. Location is convenient to American Stage. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The food was very good withProfessorDined on 5/19/2012The food was very good with a good variety on the menuSpecial Features:
- MangiaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2012Primi always wins my vote as one of the best Italian Restaurants in downtown St. PetersburgSpecial Features:
- Primi Far from FirstKBLargoDined on 5/3/2012When it opened a few years ago, Primi Urban Café was a wonderful little restaurant with a cool South African take on Italian cuisine. A local newspaper even called it Tampa Bay’s “best new restaurant”. Fast forward 5 years and a new owner. Now Primi is just a standard, little Italian restaurant devoid of anything special including much flavor. The food is OK to good, but much of it is a little bland and forgettable. The highlight of the meal was the prosciutto and mozzarella appetizer. The veal saltimbocca entrée was pleasant, except for the terribly bland mashed potato accompaniment. The lasagna entrée was surprisingly tasteless and needed a lot of salt and pepper added to create any flavor. The tiramisu dessert was, again, l
- Every time I have been toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2012Every time I have been to Primi Urban, the food has been consistently good. You can tell it's homemade and that the owners take great pride in their restaurant.Special Features:
- Our server was top-notch.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2012Our server was top-notch. The food was slightly disappointing. Neighborhood was a bit sketchy.
- OUTSTANDING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2012What a GEM!! Valet parking, New York style ambience, pianist, great bar, superb service, FANTASTIC FOOD!!! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012My food was very bland. And they got my order wrong...my choice advertised whole wheat pasta which i didnt receive. The waitress kept referring to the slow service we would receive, which did not help. Finally, The service was very poor which I attribute to them not being prepared for the half marathon that was in town.
- Awesome experienceMikeDined on 2/11/2012My partner and I went on a Saturday night before the half marathon and this place was packed to say the least! Not only did they get us to our table on time, we had an excellent dinner and our server was awesome! We met good people sitting beside us as well. Definitely one of the best Italian restaurants in Tampa Bay! Reservations recommended for sure! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Food was very good. RestaurantProfessorDined on 2/11/2012Food was very good. Restaurant got very crowded and our waitress disappearedSpecial Features:
- A Neighborhood Italian SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/28/2012Primi is a local drop in spot that gives you what you need. It's a good Italian restaurant with a nice variety on the menu. The location is sketchy to the eye, but inside you are welcomed to a cozy table arrangement. The place grew busier as the night went on. The bruschetta was perfect, my pasta dish was a little too al dente for my liking, but the sauce was delicious. My husband's dish was tasty and well displayed. The background piano player was a nice touch until we heard Mr. Grouchy snap at a diner when asking them if they had any requests!! Overall it was enjoyable and we will return for another try.Special Features: