4640 Monticello Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23188Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prime46forty.com/
- Phone: 7572244640x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Westby-Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music Saturday only beginning at 9:30pm on the patio weather permitting. Otherwise in bar area.
A word from Prime46forty
The philosophy of Prime46forty is simple--take the best ingredients you can find and "don't mess them up." Chef Tim features the finest prime beef from Allen Brothers, sustainable seafood from around the world, and locally sourced all natural produce from regional farms. Each crafted dish on the menu will envelope you in flavors, aromas and texture and his nightly specials will instantly entice you. Co-owner Carroll complements the menu with an eclectic mix of unique and distinctive wines not found in any other Williamsburg restaurant. Clever cocktails, enormous martinis and craft beers are offered as well. Service is friendly, knowledgeable and memorable. Add live music on Saturday nights and Prime becomes your "go to" restaurant for every occasion. Come for a special night or just to enjoy a couple of appetizers---the decor is modern, comfortable and lively featuring abstract art created by Vicki Foster, a popular local artist. You will love our energy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Prime46forty - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Prime46forty reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (37)notable wine list (34)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great foodTiHammerDined on 9/19/2014Ate here for parents weekend. Definitely one of the better restaurants in the area. Varied selection of food. Veal pork and salmon entres were all perfectly cooked and delicious. The chocolate pudding dessert is worth saving room for and plenty large to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Ordinary Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Expensive, but excellent! Selections are far from ordinary. Diners looking for plain food offerings and large portions would not be interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this placePASTORBJDined on 9/13/2014I met the owner...she is a very approachable person. She catered to my special food and drinks needs which she didn't have to do. While on vacay in Williamsburg, make sure you visit this place. The service was awesome and the employees were very knowledgeable according to their food and drinks.Special Features:
- Prime is just that!Yumyum2Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant defines fine dining. My Chilean sea bass was superb...moist, tasty and I savored every bite. The appetizer menu is so appealing that you might try two and skip the entre. You will come back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014An excellent addition to the Williamsburg dining scene. Convenient location for locals, a nice escape from tourism for out-of-towners. A favorite choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJandGDined on 8/31/2014Probably one of the best restaurants in Williamsburg! The food was incredible and the service was top notch. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, great atmosphereKimmy81VIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a spectacular meal at Prime46Forty. Our server was attentive and personable. The filet was perfectly prepared and the mashed potatoes and asparagus were excellent. The mussels were in a delicious broth with delicious pommes frites. The live music was a lot of fun though the band took a while to get going. We really enjoyed our experience and recommend this gem to anyone visiting Williamsburg!Special Features:
- Great dining in WilliamsburgBlooddadDined on 8/30/2014Located away from New Town and Merchant Square in the corner of a shopping center. Looks can be deceiving. Exceptional appetizer, entrees and desert. GO GO GOSpecial Features:
- A last-minute masterpieceJenDetlefsenDined on 8/29/2014We were desperate for dinner on a Friday night after a long day, and snagged a table here at 7:45 with two tired kids. Recipe for disaster, right? It turned out to be one of the best dining experiences we've EVER had in Williamsburg. The food was absolutely superb from the salad course to swoon-worthy house-made deserts; the cocktail list was delicious and fun; the service was very good, and the fact that we were a last-minute reservation, and starving when we showed up, is probably the only reason I'm not rating that as excellent, too. My husband's steak was melt-in-your-mouth tender and flavorful - simply no room for improvement there. There is no set kids menu but they brought out chicken & fries fit for a princess. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Not Going BackJojoDined on 8/29/2014Early for dinner, we enjoyed a chat with the bar manager. Prime 46Forty is intending to bring the big city experience to W'burg. When seated, the hostess dropped our menus at the place settings and walked away, w/out speaking. She did not pull out a chair for my elderly Mother-In-Law. The big city Maitre d asks, "What brings you in this evening?"; chatting until everyone is seated then hands the menus directly to the guest. He would also say, "Please enjoy your dinning experience with us." The waiter made in appropriate remarks including reference to counting our drinks. The entrée fees were $2 to $3 more than several 5 star restaurant in NYC. They are incapable of preparing entrees as requested and not in a timely manor.
- Satisfied customerParticularDined on 8/28/2014My steak was excellent and cooked perfectly (medium, uniform pink from top to bottom). My daughters steak was ordered medium rare, but was clearly rare and bloody. She should have sent it back. Lighting was good. Some of the appetizers seemed overly complex with ingredients I had never even heard of. It took the server an inordinate amount of time to explain each one. It felt like these dishes were made complex for complexity's sake. Selection of deserts was too limited, no cheese cake and only one chocolate dish. No Caesar salad selection on the restaurant menu, but there was one on the online menu. No Caesar salad in a steak house is unheard of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable MealNussbobVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went with my son after settling in at W & M. We went early at 6:30 and by the time we left after 8 the place was packed. Service was excellent, and the dishes came out in a timely manner, not too fast, not too slow. The food was very good. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in the MarketplaceAugustBenderDined on 8/23/2014This is one of the best new restaurants in Williamsburg, located in Monticello Marketplace. The food is excellent: a variety of breads made in-house, entrees vary but usually include 2 types of fish, chicken, duck, pork, lamb, veal and steak. The service is fast, knowledgeable and polite. We had a mediterranean fish called dorado on our last visit and it was perfectly done: light, sweet and succulent. My wife and I shared a meal and the kitchen split it on two plates for no extra charge.Special Features:
- msgourmandNaneeDined on 8/22/2014Fine food to be certain. Flavors were exceptional, and presentation was first-rate. Good wine selection. All-in-all a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We stumbled on this very exceptional place from a recommendation at a wine tasting. Truly the best steak I have ever had. A perfect portion, cuts like butter and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We'll be back the next time we are in town. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Nice NightDianneKVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent. I ordered arancini as an appetizer, and duck as a main course. Both the arancini and the croquette that accompanied the duck were fried perfectly -- they had a nice crisp crust and a moist center and were not at all greasy or heavy.Special Features:
- WonderfulRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great find in Williamsburg. Interesting menu with many inventive dishes. More sophisticated than what you usually find in the area. Attentive waitperson and meal was well paced. Much better than location might suggest (large outdoor mall) but that means easy parking. Would certainly go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still batting .750DouginWilliamsburgVIPDined on 8/16/2014Two couples enjoyed a fine dinner served by "Reck Visa" (really?), an old friend from nearby Second Street Bistro. Our friends enjoyed an excellent steak and delicious veal while I enjoyed two different small plates. And while we encourage the ever changing menu, the long winded details (chocalate milk from Daisy, a left handed, grass fed, single udder charmer from Hunterdon County, NJ) you get the picture, could be reined in. Service continues to be noteworthy (Ryan stopped by to make certain Reck Visa had us well in hand) but my wife's "special" halibut was quite overdone and very spicy (for her taste). Suggestion: If it's spicy (even a little) make certain to call it out. We will DEFINITELY return.Special Features:
- Artgirl757ArtInHistoricTriangleDined on 8/16/2014Took my 25 year old niece who was visiting from out of town. She loved it. We had fabulous drinks from the cocktail menu; shared a fried green tomato; I had fish and she had beef . . . both were excellent.Special Features:
- Sleek design and great foodNSwmsbgVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were a party of four and sampled a couple of appetizers along with our entrees. We shared a ahi tuna appetizer which was well prepared and 2 in our group had the filet mignon. One wanted it prepared with fries rather than whipped potatoes and there was no problem accommodating the request. I had the duck breast which was very well prepared and most tender. And the fourth dinner entree was the Chilean Sea Bass. Every item was perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was excellent and the cocktails were also yummy. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrimedFussy2palatesDined on 8/10/2014The service, food, and décor was phenomenal. This was our first time to dine at Prime46forty and so glad we did. The appetizer, the entre, then the dessert, simply unbelievable. This is the best kept secret in Williamsburg. Matches the quality of La Yucca's and Fat Canary. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks & terrific crabcakes!WineAndDineDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful restaurant!! A true gem in Williamsburg, VA! The Steaks are amazing! The desserts are exceptional!Special Features:
- A Hidden Culinary GemechristeDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Prime46forty on Sunday. The food was creative and seasonal. Everything we ate is what I had seen in the farmers market or was in season. We especially enjoyed the Confit of Pork which was a starter served over a well textured polenta cake surrounded by an excellent romesco sauce. The pork belly was tender and flavored slightly with herb d'provence and a bit of lavender. All of the dishes were equally innovative and delicious. The mains were in the mid 20's to 30's and the appetizers were 10 to 20. The wine list was well selected an tod fairly priced. We had an excellent Santa Rita Hills Chardonnay from LaFrond for 48. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere & cuisineHistoryLoverVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is a restaurant that features attention to detail from artisanal tonic water to well-plated, & well-prepared entrees & specials. The cold soup was simply scrumptious on an August evening, & a Branzino special showcased the freshness of the fish as well as the accompaniments. Service was pleasant, and the waiter very knowledgable. This is a restaurant with fine cooking, & it makes for a very pleasing evening. As locals we will return often & with glee.Special Features:
- As good as it getsGlenMalVIPDined on 8/7/2014The best in Williamsburg! Steaks are fantastic and kitchen is fantastic in helping with dietary constraints.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner for TwoDinnerOutDined on 8/3/2014We were looking for anew restaurant to try in celebrating a birthday. AWESOME across the board. Terrific service, outstanding presentation and great atmosphere. Price/value relationship was very good. The chef's imaginative spin on every course was a delight. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fine dining in WilliamsburgclassymusicgalVIPDined on 8/3/2014If this restaurant were in NYC or DC, there would be a line outside the door every night! Outstanding food - creatively imagined, perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. It is located in a hidden corner of a shopping center (between Martin's and Target) with plenty of parking. Best to get a reservation on a busy weekend night, but we had no problems on Sunday. We ordered two appetizers - a prawn special and mussels - both were delicious. We split and order of rack of lamb - five perfectly cooked chops on each plate which we paired with a lovely Merlot. A friendly greeting and competent server set the stage for yet another perfect dinner at Prime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Canary AlternativeDouginWilliamsburgVIPDined on 8/2/2014The folks at this restaurant are really, really trying and, in our opinion, succeeding. The room has a night club vibe to it with low light and some bright colors, the food is fresh with some complex taste combinations that were new to us and enjoyable. My son's chicken was a little "tough" in his opinion but my 3 appetizers and my wife's 2 appetizers were outstanding (salad, shrimp, butterfish, a different salad and crab cake). This isn't a "steak house" though they feature 3 different cuts of steak for those interested. Our server (Ryan) was attentive, knowledgeable and invisible - all good. Our check, though steep by Williamsburg standards, was well worth the very, very enjoyable experience. This was our 2nd visit and rates another meal!Special Features:
- FinedinerDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit. The menu is unique with much variety and the wine list is good. The food presentation was excellent. The grouper and sea bass entrees that my wife and I ordered were outstanding. The service on this night did not measure up to the price and quality of the food. Our server did an excellent job of presenting the specials along with explaining the preparation but we had to ask for bread to accompany our appetizer, our food was delivered to the wrong table and I ordered a second glass of wine that was not delivered until I had finished my meal. The decor could be more warm and friendly. With all this said we will definitely dine here again. It is nice to have an upscale local restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Visited while on vacation in Williamsburg. Steak was outstanding and salad unusual and tasty. Great wine recommendation and dark chocolate bourbon special dessert was amazing. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MenuTimAVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great time again at our favorite Williamsburg dining location. Drinks were perfect as usual. We enjoyed the change of the new menu. I had the special which was a bourbon pork chop and the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- As good as advertisedretiredchiefDined on 8/1/2014Went to Prime46forty based on recommendations from friends. Service and food were outstanding. Waiter was highly knowledgeable of menu items and was quick to get answers to the couple of questions he couldn't answer immediately. A bit on the pricey side, but I knew that going in and it was worth every cent.Special Features:
- Never Fails to Please!!foodguyDined on 7/30/2014This was only our second visit to Prime 46 Forty, but we felt so welcomed and relaxed - and the whole experience was EXCELLENT!! This time we brought another couple to celebrate a birthday - and promised something really special. They were delighted!! The food, service, atmosphere are all above and beyond = expectations exceeded!! We are already looking forward to our next visit, but may not be able to wait for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant. Pricey for Williamsburg, but food is definitely a cut above any local steakhouse. Owner Carol is omnipresent but not overbearing, just adds attentiveness that makes restaurant "go."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary treatLTCsaint54Dined on 7/26/2014Msde our special day even more special. Great staff great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemgranfoodieDined on 7/24/2014We were seated promptly with a warm welcome. Our pre-dinner drinks were excellent. Appetizer through dessert were top notch and brought to the table with excellent service.Special Features:
- Williamsburg HospitalityBDinNCTVIPDined on 7/22/2014We were visiting from Ohio with a group of nine and wanted a nice restaurant to celebrate July family birthdays. We couldn't have done better! The food was terrific, the service was superb (the bartender even created a drink for our daughters) and the evening was a great success. The restaurant even baked a cake for us for the birthday celebration. If you live near Williamsburg this is a great place for dinner. We wish we lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findPaulVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were early on a quiet night. The restaurant has an extensive bar area that runs half the length of the large room. Tables are nicely spaced for quiet and private conversation. One person in our party had the night's special of rock fish and raved about it. I had the filet mignonette dish that my wife had ordered on a previous visit. It was as good as she had claimed it to be. My wife very much enjoyed the Chilean sea bass. We also enjoyed two bottles of German Reisling. We all intend to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobdinerDined on 7/19/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Wiliamsburg. Last week they began a new menu which has something for everyone. My wife had the veal scallopini and I had the rack of lamb. Both were exceptionally good. The portions are generous. The wine list is very good with something at pretty much every price point. The service was professional and prompt without being intrusive. The restaurant has also installed new sound absorbing material at various places so that it is now a good quiet place with allows for free conversation.Special Features:
- Outstanding diningDurham4719Dined on 7/17/2014A delicious chicken dinner with risotto to "die for" and a salad that was artistically displayed and incredibly good.Special Features: