4640 Monticello Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23188Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.prime46forty.com/
- Phone: 7572244640x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Westby-Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music Saturday only beginning at 9:30pm on the patio weather permitting. Otherwise in bar area.
A word from Prime46forty
The philosophy of Prime46forty is simple--take the best ingredients you can find and "don't mess them up." Chef Tim features the finest prime beef from Allen Brothers, sustainable seafood from around the world, and locally sourced all natural produce from regional farms. Each crafted dish on the menu will envelope you in flavors, aromas and texture and his nightly specials will instantly entice you. Co-owner Carroll complements the menu with an eclectic mix of unique and distinctive wines not found in any other Williamsburg restaurant. Clever cocktails, enormous martinis and craft beers are offered as well. Service is friendly, knowledgeable and memorable. Add live music on Saturday nights and Prime becomes your "go to" restaurant for every occasion. Come for a special night or just to enjoy a couple of appetizers---the decor is modern, comfortable and lively featuring abstract art created by Vicki Foster, a popular local artist. You will love our energy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Prime46forty - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Prime46forty reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (79)neighborhood gem (54)notable wine list (44)romantic (36)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Awesome FindSuzyQDined on 10/19/2014Took hubby there for birthday treat. The owner & staff were so warm & friendly, food was some of the best we've tasted in all our travels. Dessert was sinfully tasty. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, Now It's My Favorite RestaurantFoodFanDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Prime46forty 4 times now and every time was memorable. This visit was with 2 other couples. Our party of 6 posed no challenges for service which was graceful and an addition to the experience without being obtrusive. The staff is clearly very excited about what they are doing. My favorite thing is that no 2 dishes are the same. Even the accompaniments for the starters are thoughtfully paired with the main ingredient. I had the charcuterie but am still wishing (after 1 bite) that I'd ordered the foie gras. My veal was beautifully presented, crunchy but tender wiith a delicioius mushroom risotto. My husband had the rockfish special and it was one of the most delicious things ever. Smoked tomatoes! Dessert: divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best higher end restaurant in WburgOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014First time there. The menu is aggressive and creative, but they executed all 4 of out tables dishes almost perfectly. Instantly my favorite restaurant in Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fabulous MealSnowbirdDined on 10/17/2014We absolutely enjoy the food and service at Prime 46Forty. This is one of our favorite restaurants in Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMonikaVIPDined on 10/16/2014Large variety of appetizers and great service. Loved especially the risotto with rock shrimp. Dishes were very nicely prepared and presented with a lot of attention to detail.Special Features:
- Amazing DiningCandylandDined on 10/11/2014Everything about our dining experience was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014It was a must pleasurable experience. The jazz band and service made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, just watch the salt.AnnehtcDined on 10/4/2014We very much enjoyed our visit there. The service excellent - prompt and informative and the preparations of food interesting. I liked the decor as opposed to one criticism on perhaps Trpadvisor who said it looked too New Yorky. That is why I liked it - no authentic colonial decor for a change. My only criticism was that pork tenderloin was quite salty. In fact early bites had a distinct crunch that I could only attribute to salt crystals on top. I really didn't want to go thru the hassle and delay of returning it and it was quite good nonetheless. I did mention it to the waiter later who was apologetic and promised to pass it along. And I was awakened in the night needing to drink a great deal of water.Special Features:
- Consistently great choiceAmatureFoodieDined on 10/4/2014We initially visited this restaurant based on the positive reviews and they weren't wrong. We've now been a couple of times and everything has been spot-on each time. Our table had Foie gras, steak, seafood and excellent desserts. We couldn't find anything to criticize. There's no question we'll be back despite the fact that it's an hour drive for us.Special Features:
- Toby2Dined on 10/4/2014Great dinner the food was spectacular and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- AugustaDined on 10/3/2014Sevice and food was excellent. Prices are the same as other restaurants of this high caliber. Of note was that the Wine list was reasonable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TooColdDined on 9/27/2014How can a $50 steak be served cold to me and my guest. There wasn't enough salad to get caught in my teeth? The tuna appetizer was bland. I can't understand these essential service mistake other than at fast food place. So much for a memorable 25 anniversary other than $173 a couple mistake.Special Features:
- Best in VirginiaLawBahDined on 9/27/2014We recently moved to Virginia from the Bahamas and have been having trouble finding restaurants up to par with those we have in Nassau. You might not know this but when it comes to fine-dining, Nassau has the best. Well we have definitely found it with Prime46forty. The service was superb, the food out of this world and the ambiance beautiful. Back to the food; reading the menu of dishes is like walking through the Master Chef pantry; things you never heard of or wouldn't never think would go together, but boy do they do; an exotic journey on your pallet. And all of this coming from a self-taught chef (according to the owner, who stops at each table sometime during the meal). Deserts - do not leave without trying one. Will be back!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerCattyDined on 9/26/2014It was our second visit to Prime Forty, an opportunity we had waited for since we loved the food the first time. The steaks here are perfectly fork tender and the fish prepared so never dry but flaky and delicious. The flavor combinations used are somtimes surprising but always yummy. For instance, raspberry ice cream infused with olive oil and basil. Most of the wines on the substantial list are not recognizable by winery name but by varietal and area of origin, many excellent choices. The wait staff is not effusively friendly but very informative and service oriented. Overall, our evening was great and we look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- DaveVIPDined on 9/24/2014As always the service and food was a 12 on a 1-10.Special Features:
- Wonderful Eveningseafood4meDined on 9/24/2014I had two colleagues in town from Boston and DC. We work in the food industry and they are foodies. We started with the seafood risotto to share; and then had melt-in-your-mouth filets and crab cakes. Everything was delicious and service was excellent. You would never guess you are in the shopping center.Special Features:
- williamsburg gemkvtmartDined on 9/21/2014Great service, even better food. Strongly suggest this restaurant. Best food in Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!AndrewVIPDined on 9/21/2014Always a pleasure to come here - especially on Sundays, when they have free corkage so you can bring your favorite/special bottle of wine to pair with the great food. Specials are always outstanding, and always include a fish entree. The hostess on Sundays is wonderful and just as sweet as can be, as is our "usual" waitress Paegan - who is always friendly, professional, and very knowledgeable. Food is really outstanding and service is great - just a bit on the loud side...Special Features:
- Great Addition to Dining Scene!Julie1037VIPDined on 9/20/2014Our party of six celebrated a family event with a leisurely and well prepared dinner with good wine perfectly served. A jazz combo arrived about the same as our dessert, which made for a festive end to the evening, and the beginning of the only elegant late night dining venue in Williamsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTiHammerDined on 9/19/2014Ate here for parents weekend. Definitely one of the better restaurants in the area. Varied selection of food. Veal pork and salmon entres were all perfectly cooked and delicious. The chocolate pudding dessert is worth saving room for and plenty large to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should have come here sooner!modelpapaDined on 9/19/2014Recently found out that Prime46forty is owned by the same folks that owned "A Carroll's" from years past, where we enjoyed many, many dinners and lunches with family & friends. Had we known, we would have been here sooner to dine on the great food we always enjoyed from this family. All we can say is "welcome back" because our dinner was fabulous and now that we found you, we will be back. P.S. There must be others out there in Williamsburg that are not aware of the A. Carroll's connection who would be back as we were if they knew. You should advertise that fact in the Gazette?Special Features:
- No Ordinary Dining ExperienceSam1962Dined on 9/17/2014Expensive, but excellent! Selections are far from ordinary. Diners looking for plain food offerings and large portions would not be interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this placePASTORBJDined on 9/13/2014I met the owner...she is a very approachable person. She catered to my special food and drinks needs which she didn't have to do. While on vacay in Williamsburg, make sure you visit this place. The service was awesome and the employees were very knowledgeable according to their food and drinks.Special Features:
- Prime is just that!Yumyum2Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant defines fine dining. My Chilean sea bass was superb...moist, tasty and I savored every bite. The appetizer menu is so appealing that you might try two and skip the entre. You will come back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014An excellent addition to the Williamsburg dining scene. Convenient location for locals, a nice escape from tourism for out-of-towners. A favorite choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJandGDined on 8/31/2014Probably one of the best restaurants in Williamsburg! The food was incredible and the service was top notch. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, great atmosphereKimmy81VIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a spectacular meal at Prime46Forty. Our server was attentive and personable. The filet was perfectly prepared and the mashed potatoes and asparagus were excellent. The mussels were in a delicious broth with delicious pommes frites. The live music was a lot of fun though the band took a while to get going. We really enjoyed our experience and recommend this gem to anyone visiting Williamsburg!Special Features:
- Great dining in WilliamsburgBlooddadDined on 8/30/2014Located away from New Town and Merchant Square in the corner of a shopping center. Looks can be deceiving. Exceptional appetizer, entrees and desert. GO GO GOSpecial Features:
- A last-minute masterpieceJenDetlefsenDined on 8/29/2014We were desperate for dinner on a Friday night after a long day, and snagged a table here at 7:45 with two tired kids. Recipe for disaster, right? It turned out to be one of the best dining experiences we've EVER had in Williamsburg. The food was absolutely superb from the salad course to swoon-worthy house-made deserts; the cocktail list was delicious and fun; the service was very good, and the fact that we were a last-minute reservation, and starving when we showed up, is probably the only reason I'm not rating that as excellent, too. My husband's steak was melt-in-your-mouth tender and flavorful - simply no room for improvement there. There is no set kids menu but they brought out chicken & fries fit for a princess. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Not Going BackJojoDined on 8/29/2014Early for dinner, we enjoyed a chat with the bar manager. Prime 46Forty is intending to bring the big city experience to W'burg. When seated, the hostess dropped our menus at the place settings and walked away, w/out speaking. She did not pull out a chair for my elderly Mother-In-Law. The big city Maitre d asks, "What brings you in this evening?"; chatting until everyone is seated then hands the menus directly to the guest. He would also say, "Please enjoy your dinning experience with us." The waiter made in appropriate remarks including reference to counting our drinks. The entrée fees were $2 to $3 more than several 5 star restaurant in NYC. They are incapable of preparing entrees as requested and not in a timely manor.
- Satisfied customerParticularDined on 8/28/2014My steak was excellent and cooked perfectly (medium, uniform pink from top to bottom). My daughters steak was ordered medium rare, but was clearly rare and bloody. She should have sent it back. Lighting was good. Some of the appetizers seemed overly complex with ingredients I had never even heard of. It took the server an inordinate amount of time to explain each one. It felt like these dishes were made complex for complexity's sake. Selection of deserts was too limited, no cheese cake and only one chocolate dish. No Caesar salad selection on the restaurant menu, but there was one on the online menu. No Caesar salad in a steak house is unheard of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable MealNussbobVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went with my son after settling in at W & M. We went early at 6:30 and by the time we left after 8 the place was packed. Service was excellent, and the dishes came out in a timely manner, not too fast, not too slow. The food was very good. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in the MarketplaceAugustBenderDined on 8/23/2014This is one of the best new restaurants in Williamsburg, located in Monticello Marketplace. The food is excellent: a variety of breads made in-house, entrees vary but usually include 2 types of fish, chicken, duck, pork, lamb, veal and steak. The service is fast, knowledgeable and polite. We had a mediterranean fish called dorado on our last visit and it was perfectly done: light, sweet and succulent. My wife and I shared a meal and the kitchen split it on two plates for no extra charge.Special Features:
- msgourmandNaneeDined on 8/22/2014Fine food to be certain. Flavors were exceptional, and presentation was first-rate. Good wine selection. All-in-all a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We stumbled on this very exceptional place from a recommendation at a wine tasting. Truly the best steak I have ever had. A perfect portion, cuts like butter and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We'll be back the next time we are in town. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Nice NightDianneKVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent. I ordered arancini as an appetizer, and duck as a main course. Both the arancini and the croquette that accompanied the duck were fried perfectly -- they had a nice crisp crust and a moist center and were not at all greasy or heavy.Special Features:
- WonderfulRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great find in Williamsburg. Interesting menu with many inventive dishes. More sophisticated than what you usually find in the area. Attentive waitperson and meal was well paced. Much better than location might suggest (large outdoor mall) but that means easy parking. Would certainly go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still batting .750DouginWilliamsburgVIPDined on 8/16/2014Two couples enjoyed a fine dinner served by "Reck Visa" (really?), an old friend from nearby Second Street Bistro. Our friends enjoyed an excellent steak and delicious veal while I enjoyed two different small plates. And while we encourage the ever changing menu, the long winded details (chocalate milk from Daisy, a left handed, grass fed, single udder charmer from Hunterdon County, NJ) you get the picture, could be reined in. Service continues to be noteworthy (Ryan stopped by to make certain Reck Visa had us well in hand) but my wife's "special" halibut was quite overdone and very spicy (for her taste). Suggestion: If it's spicy (even a little) make certain to call it out. We will DEFINITELY return.Special Features:
- Artgirl757ArtInHistoricTriangleDined on 8/16/2014Took my 25 year old niece who was visiting from out of town. She loved it. We had fabulous drinks from the cocktail menu; shared a fried green tomato; I had fish and she had beef . . . both were excellent.Special Features:
- Sleek design and great foodNSwmsbgVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were a party of four and sampled a couple of appetizers along with our entrees. We shared a ahi tuna appetizer which was well prepared and 2 in our group had the filet mignon. One wanted it prepared with fries rather than whipped potatoes and there was no problem accommodating the request. I had the duck breast which was very well prepared and most tender. And the fourth dinner entree was the Chilean Sea Bass. Every item was perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was excellent and the cocktails were also yummy. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.