587 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29)
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pressnapavalley.com/
- Phone: (707) 967-0550
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Bar Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jason Toji
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: PRESS has 3 wonderful dining locations for private parties and events. The first is a private dining room that accommodates 6 to 12 guests. The private dining room is intimate and ideal for smaller parties. The second is our beautiful, outdoor patio. The patio is a perfect setting for a Napa Valley event with a view of the western hills and vineyards, especially when lit up in the evening. The patio offers an outdoor fireplace, is partially covered, and optional heating. We would be happy to assist in arranging dinners for groups of 10 to 32 guests on our patio. Lastly, our Wine Cellar can be privately reserved for 10 to 20 guests. There is AV equipment available and a view of our collection of all Napa Valley Wines. Private party menus are custom, can include your favorite dishes from the regular menu, and dietary restrictions are easily accommodated. Please email or call Megan Chin for more information on our private spaces and assistance with creating your menu.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Chin 7079670550x
- Special Events: For events at PRESS, we offer dishes featured on our seasonal, regular dinner menu and assistance with planning the necessary details of special events. We also offer specialty cocktails, passed appetizers, fresh seafood platters, and cheese boards for guests to enjoy as part of their dining experience. Lastly, we can assist in pre-selecting wines from our notable all Napa Valley wine list. Although PRESS is only open for dinner, we can arrange for private day time events at the restaurant. Please email our Events Coordinator, Megan Chin at Megan.Chin@pressnapavalley.com or call 707.967.0550 for more information.
A word from Press
PRESS is the perfect wine country dining experience. PRESS features prime dry-aged beef, whole roasted chicken, grass fed Sonoma lamb, and fresh fish prepared on a custom wood burning grill and rotisserie. The modern farmhouse style blends with the neighboring vineyards to create a truly modern steakhouse. An award winning largely Napa Valley wine list completes the PRESS experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Press - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Press reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (92)special occasion (85)fit for foodies (82)good for groups (44)romantic (44)hot spot (39)neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (31)vibrant bar scene (24)scenic view (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- DinnerLove2eatVIPDined on 11/21/2014We had a wonderful delicious dinner and one in our party was wined out but was treated very kindly. THANKYOUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicholallDined on 11/15/2014Everything about this restaurant was perfect. The service was attentive but not overly, the food was delicious and they didn't balk when my husband and I split a salad. The physical space glowed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014We arrived early for our Friday reservation. Press was wonderfully packed. They were able to acccomdate us at the bar...and we had a blast!! Service, food and the energy level made the evening great and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but very goodmnfrrVIPDined on 11/13/2014We have been to Press several times over the years and always have a great meal and great service. Outdoor patio is really special with fireplace and comfy seating. Definitely a pricey meal, but worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maryph2Dined on 11/6/2014The steak was perfect Service excellent Wine list extensive the bacon appertiser alone was worth the tripSpecial Features:
- AWESOME.... Even with a "do-over"CpudanparksVIPDined on 11/5/2014Had a fantastic meal here - great service. One steak came out too rare - then over. Was no problem - threw a new one on the grill - repoured some wine - and it was amazing. GREAT recovery by the Manager...Special Features:
- pressbirthdayVIPDined on 11/1/2014Delicious food. Steaks were great. Waitress was very helpfulSpecial Features:
- What a gem!Aznfatty99Dined on 10/26/2014Chef Kunk is amazing and well deserving of the James Beard award. He was a gracious host and allowed me to sample some amuse-bouche plates, which were excellent. The ingredients are fresh and can stand by itself. The crab appetizer is amazing. The steak was well seasoned and great quality. The cocktail and wine were delicious. The service was spot on. I wish I was in Napa longer so I could revisit this restaurant. French Laundry who...?Special Features:
- imPRESSiveNapaGirlDined on 10/25/2014Beautiful restaurant with delicious food, great wine selection, and a wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJawsVIPDined on 10/22/2014My last dinner at Press was amazing as always. The Beef here is simply the best available in the bay area. The wine list is second to none as far as Napa Cabernet is concerned as they have bottles in the cellar that have truly historic significance in the valley. Finally the chocolate soufflé is amazing rich and creamy. The only downside is they don't do enough work on there side dishes but overall still a great experience.
- Great DinnerDBSFDined on 10/19/2014Steak is the best thing on the menu BUT all the other entrees are great. A wonderful place to have a great meal!Special Features:
- bradVIPDined on 10/17/2014we ate predominantly meat serving. I felt the steaks were fattier than I prefer but well cooked. Prices a bit high.
- We felt invisiblediner65VIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I recently dined at Press in the Napa Valley. We expected great service from this well-known steak house but that's not what we got. The service was spotty at best although the food was good. People around us had better service but we felt invisible.Special Features:
- Press is best!BirdieDined on 10/11/2014We have eaten at Press 3 times since they have opened and will not miss another opportunity the next time we visit Napa Valley. The wine, food, service and ambiance is very nice. Make sure you have the chocolate soufflé for dessert! You will be very happy if you love chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eventKlausgDined on 10/10/2014The ambiance was very nice. The service was just o.k. with too much time in between even so we said we are in no rush, we received our sparkling wine right a away and the appetizer 20 minutes later. My wife had the crab cakes, I had salmon tartare but quite salty. For a salad we split a string bean cucumber salad in egg yolk unfortunately it was salty as well I couldn't really taste the dressing, too bad because I thought it was an interesting combination. For the main we had steak: rib eye and filet mignon both steaks were outstanding and cooked to our liking. The side dishes mushrooms and potato cake were o.k. Not much flavor at all for the mushrooms, like thyme, garlic,etc. Overall it was just o.k.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious......OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/9/2014First and foremost, a 55 page wine list, unbelievable!!! Press is a beautiful restaurant, and a fairly moderate noise level, even when busy. It started with a great bread basket, amazing steaks and chops, and the onion rings, pure heaven. We were too full for dessert, but will make sure to leave room next time we eat there, the menu looked terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014Beautiful restaurant and good service. We were forced into an earlier reservation, yet the room was only a quarter full the entire time we were there. Food was good but not worth the price. Probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceGetsomegoodfoodDined on 10/9/2014My $65 steak was overdone and the waitress set there and tried to tell me it wasn't. Desert was ok. Sides were ehh. If the prices were half, it would be a different story. But they aren't. Not worth it. Thumbs down.Special Features:
- Outstanding PlaceKarenVIPDined on 10/6/2014Press was a great find in St. Helena. The food, service, & seating were spectacular.Special Features:
- Over the Top Experience!IheartsteakDined on 10/4/2014I went to Press for our wedding anniversary and it was everything we expected! Place looked amazing, the staff were professional and courteous! The food was top notch and it was the best steak I've had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNapaCrewVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had dined at Press a few years ago and had a very good experience. We brought 6 close friends and looked forward to sharing this experience with them. The evening started well with good service, good appetizers and attention to our needs. The main courses were served soon after and did not disappoint. What spoiled it for us was the end of the meal. The dessert order was taken and we waited, and waited and waited. A pre-ordered soufflé was finished and now a pleasant memory. Finally after 45 minutes, our dish of sorbet, an ice cream sundae and a cheese plate arrived! To the credit of management the dessert orders were "comped" after apologies, but the finish of the meal lingers and overshadows our experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceRobertCVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food, ambiance, and service all perfect. Such an innovative menu. And our server made it extra special by being so passionate and knowledgeable about the food. This was our favorite restaurant in Napa Valley. They clearly work hard to make it a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks, Little PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014The ribeye steak and chocolate dessert was excellent. The reason Press wasn't five stars for me was based on price. There are a lot of restaurants in the Napa Valley that give you the same excellent dining experience with entrees that are priced less than $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Napa Valley RestaurantLovefoodVIPDined on 9/27/2014Press is great for quality steaks and other selections and amazing freshly made bread! Ask for the flight of bacon that is usually only served in the bar. It's seven different varieties and are delicious! The most amazing, extremely abundant wine list around!I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014We were group of six after couple of wine tasting all of steaks were cooked per our requests,seasoned well with beautiful side dishes & delicious desserts! Great steakhouse in napa valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at PressksennDined on 9/20/2014A great experience! Great food, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recent downhill slidelarryDined on 9/20/2014Much improvement over past visits! People should try it again.Special Features:
- Our second and last visitshoespazVIPDined on 9/20/2014$18 Little Gem Caesar-style salad was a pile of naked greens with shaved Parmesan, with 4 gloppy drizzles of broken Caesar dressing on top. There was no way to toss the salad to get the greens properly dressed. Ridiculous. The $100 Porterhouse, while tasty and properly cooked, provided less meat than the 14 ounce BN Ranch New York strip we ordered on a prior visit, and paid $70 for. The $14 side of "sweet corn, chile and cheese", had both cilantro and tarragon in it, neither of which I can eat, and which are assertive enough flavors that they should be listed on menu or described by server, and was left on the bill. On prior visit, Bavette steak overly seasoned and thin, had to be sent back, and the $11 potato cake was very disappointing.
- TimprnDined on 9/15/2014We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at The Press and were not disappointed. The food and service were both outstanding. They provide an extensive wine list that covered multiple price ranges. The Crab and Lobster Cakes were prepared to perfection. The Rib Eye and Filet Mignon Steaks were amongst the best we have ever eaten. And we topped it off with their Chocolate Souffle that was to die for. The service was exemplary with a very helpful waiter who offered many quality suggestions. And to provide a romantic finish, we were served complementary sparkling wines. We could not have asked for more! We will be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulrabricksonVIPDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I took my daughter and son-in-law for their anniversary and his birthday, and were joined by two long-time friends. The event was special for us, and the dinner lived up to our anticipation. Every aspect of dinner was exactly right. The sommelier helped us navigate their incredible wine list. Our server was smart, helpful and engaging. Each course was better than the last. The meal was everything we had hoped for.Special Features:
- Fine DiningMightyKCDined on 9/12/2014Tried half the menu, all was outstanding...from the oysters, to the salads, mac-n-cheese -- of course don't forget the steaks they are known for. I highly recommend the dessert...they need 25 min to cook it, so even if you feel full when they ask, it's totally worth it, and you can always find room.Special Features:
- In search of a great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The steak is amazing here! The crab/lobster appetizer is also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencedsrtwittVIPDined on 9/10/2014A great way to end any day in Napa. If you want steak cooked perfectly this is the spot to go. The service exceeded what would be expected and you were made to feel very welcome.Special Features:
- EnjoyableSondraDined on 9/5/2014We will definitely go to Press again. Nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014We def. come back to this restaurant! Everything was excellent (food, atmospere, service) - a perfect small Italian restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MorrisDined on 9/1/2014Fantastic wine list presented by world leading expertis. Food was almost in line with wine and cared for with great service. We'll be looking forward to our next visit when in Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Bad....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014We were so excited to try Press, but so disappointed. While the food was very good, our service was the worst we have experienced in a very long time. The waitress told us about dessert before ever even pouring our wine, something about having to pre- order. We were in no hurry, wanted a relaxing dinner with friends. My husband told her very nicely that we were in no hurry that night. It seemed to really "tick" her off. She was very slow in every returning to even check on us. We were brought our entrees before our salads. We sent them back . We asked for the Manager that evening and he didn't seem to really be concerned. Just came back later to make sure we got everything! Very disappointing.Special Features:
- VirginVIPDined on 8/29/2014A lovely place but over the years the prices have become outrageous, I have been going since 2005, $120 for a ribeye bone in for two...? $50 filet mignons......the prices just do not justify what you get, the quality of meat in most 4 or 5 star restaurants are just as good in the Napa valley, but not so high priced with equally or better chefs, Better buy at Auberge de Soliel, Solbar, Terra, Archetype, Bouchon, Bottega or Bistro Jeanty . Or Harris steak house in SF. I will go back because of the great Sommelier Angela and the service by Chuck, but not soon, have to save up the $$$$.Special Features:
- Best sommelier, great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Third time is a charm, they seated us on the terrace, so problems with smoke (from the open wood grill) and noise levels were totally solved. Thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- a little too much saltOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband LOVED his Rib Eye. Bread is worth the calories but if you are trying to decrease your salt intake this may not be the place for you. Most dishes we tried, especially the chicken, kale and fries were too salty. They even added an extra large pinch to the butter that is served with the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.