587 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29)
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pressnapavalley.com/
- Phone: 7079670550x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Bar Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jason Toji
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: PRESS has 3 wonderful dining locations for private parties and events. The first is a private dining room that accommodates 6 to 12 guests. The private dining room is intimate and ideal for smaller parties. The second is our beautiful, outdoor patio. The patio is a perfect setting for a Napa Valley event with a view of the western hills and vineyards, especially when lit up in the evening. The patio offers an outdoor fireplace, is partially covered, and optional heating. We would be happy to assist in arranging dinners for groups of 10 to 32 guests on our patio. Lastly, our Wine Cellar can be privately reserved for 10 to 20 guests. There is AV equipment available and a view of our collection of all Napa Valley Wines. Private party menus are custom, can include your favorite dishes from the regular menu, and dietary restrictions are easily accommodated. Please email or call Megan Chin for more information on our private spaces and assistance with creating your menu.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Chin 7079670550x
- Special Events: For events at PRESS, we offer dishes featured on our seasonal, regular dinner menu and assistance with planning the necessary details of special events. We also offer specialty cocktails, passed appetizers, fresh seafood platters, and cheese boards for guests to enjoy as part of their dining experience. Lastly, we can assist in pre-selecting wines from our notable all Napa Valley wine list. Although PRESS is only open for dinner, we can arrange for private day time events at the restaurant. Please email our Events Coordinator, Megan Chin at Megan.Chin@pressnapavalley.com or call 707.967.0550 for more information.
A word from Press
PRESS is the perfect wine country dining experience. PRESS features prime dry-aged beef, whole roasted chicken, grass fed Sonoma lamb, and fresh fish prepared on a custom wood burning grill and rotisserie. The modern farmhouse style blends with the neighboring vineyards to create a truly modern steakhouse. An award winning largely Napa Valley wine list completes the PRESS experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Press - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Press reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (104)special occasion (99)fit for foodies (87)romantic (57)good for groups (45)great for outdoor dining (42)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (27)neighborhood gem (25)scenic view (15)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- WonderfulrabricksonVIPDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I took my daughter and son-in-law for their anniversary and his birthday, and were joined by two long-time friends. The event was special for us, and the dinner lived up to our anticipation. Every aspect of dinner was exactly right. The sommelier helped us navigate their incredible wine list. Our server was smart, helpful and engaging. Each course was better than the last. The meal was everything we had hoped for.Special Features:
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Tried half the menu, all was outstanding...from the oysters, to the salads, mac-n-cheese -- of course don't forget the steaks they are known for. I highly recommend the dessert...they need 25 min to cook it, so even if you feel full when they ask, it's totally worth it, and you can always find room.Special Features:
- In search of a great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The steak is amazing here! The crab/lobster appetizer is also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencedsrtwittVIPDined on 9/10/2014A great way to end any day in Napa. If you want steak cooked perfectly this is the spot to go. The service exceeded what would be expected and you were made to feel very welcome.Special Features:
- EnjoyableSondraDined on 9/5/2014We will definitely go to Press again. Nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014We def. come back to this restaurant! Everything was excellent (food, atmospere, service) - a perfect small Italian restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MorrisDined on 9/1/2014Fantastic wine list presented by world leading expertis. Food was almost in line with wine and cared for with great service. We'll be looking forward to our next visit when in Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VirginVIPDined on 8/29/2014A lovely place but over the years the prices have become outrageous, I have been going since 2005, $120 for a ribeye bone in for two...? $50 filet mignons......the prices just do not justify what you get, the quality of meat in most 4 or 5 star restaurants are just as good in the Napa valley, but not so high priced with equally or better chefs, Better buy at Auberge de Soliel, Solbar, Terra, Archetype, Bouchon, Bottega or Bistro Jeanty . Or Harris steak house in SF. I will go back because of the great Sommelier Angela and the service by Chuck, but not soon, have to save up the $$$$.Special Features:
- Best sommelier, great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Third time is a charm, they seated us on the terrace, so problems with smoke (from the open wood grill) and noise levels were totally solved. Thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- a little too much saltOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband LOVED his Rib Eye. Bread is worth the calories but if you are trying to decrease your salt intake this may not be the place for you. Most dishes we tried, especially the chicken, kale and fries were too salty. They even added an extra large pinch to the butter that is served with the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimPRESSedCatalinaDined on 8/27/2014The friendly staff that greeted me upon my arrival happily seated our party of four at a lovely outside table. Sadly, our delight turned to disappointment upon the arrival of our food. Entrees were average at best. The ala carte items were way too small for the price. I shall not return.
- MargaretVIPDined on 8/27/2014Fabulous food, wait staff and ambiance. Our party of 6 sampled several of the Bryan Flannary meats plus the roasted chicken for two-fantastic! We also ordered most of the vegetables that were also delicious. There was enough delicious left overs for our picnic the next day. Memorable meal.Special Features:
- Mostly beefOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I think dining is mostly the way you feel treated, the selection of food and it's preparation, the ambience and noise level. This is definitely a young person's restaurant. And although the waitpersons and those involved were attentive...we didn't experience any warmth in the people employed there. People were just waiting on us. We do love to dine and choose to enjoy the top restaurants in the San Francisco, Bay area and destinations that we travel to......it would be nice to see people enjoy what they do....maybe they don't.
- Disappointedlisten2meDined on 8/20/2014Big disappointment. My husband's steak was so salty that he had to cut off all the outer edges to be able to eat it. The sides dishes were just okay. Also very salty. Others who ordered steak said it was just okay. The roasted chicken for two while very juicy was not worth $57. We are not complainers and our biggest mistake was not complaining on this night. I feel bad writing this negative review because we did not complain that night and did not give them the chance to rectify the situation but that wouldn't have changed the quality of food that was initially brought to the table. The best thing about the evening was the busboy. He was pleasant, attentive to detail and our water glasses were constantly full.
- only if you are a regular.BrianDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world. This was positively the worst. Unless you know someone here do not go. We tried desperately to have someone wait on us and never could. Everyone was way too busy to smile or make eye contact. Someone did manage to bring our appetizer, but then it was impossible to get our wine, or order our dinner. We ended up asking for the check so we could leave and go to a real restaurant. Of a more curious note. Owner, or at least we believe he was an owner, was decanting both white and red wines near the bar. We found it quite interesting that he was happily drinking far more from each decanted wine than he should have. These are customers' wines! To me, this is stealing. AVOID!
- lovely evening in St Helena. ..SonomaFoodiesDined on 8/15/2014We are locals and finally got around to visiting Press. We found real value for the pricing and professional, attentive service. Amazing wine list and the Sommelier was really helpful. We'll be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The PressGrammandDunnDined on 8/15/2014Read the article in the San Fran paper and wanted to try it our selves. The Chop salad was great the streaks we ok and the Chicekn looked good..Special Features:
- lovetodine2014Dined on 8/11/2014Had a really really big steak there. Great tasting and made just the way I like it. Services was wonderful. Had never been there before but when back in the area I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not At The Top of Its GameKrisVIPDined on 8/9/2014Press has been a favorite for quite some time but our latest visit was a disappointment. The prices have risen dramatically while the food preparation has suffered. I think $14 for an ear of corn, or $26 for six bacon slices is over the top and uncalled for. The tomatoes in my $20 salad were not trimmed correctly making some pieces inedible, the chocolate souffle was undercooked, and the lobster/crab cake was a gooey mess. Obviously more oversight is needed in the kitchen to warrant their higher prices. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Love this place!AustinVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had a Grass fed Bavette Hanger steak that was just divine with the hen of the woods mushrooms. Chocolate soufflé was very fluffy and had great texture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMikeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was great. Bar selections were awesome. Great Bourbon list!! Coming from Vegas and the vibrant bar restaurants with so much to chose from this place can hold its own. Bacon appetizer sampler was awesome. Steak cooked to perfection. Knowledgeable bar staff. Will return next time when in Napa.Special Features:
- Good Service, Salty SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Wait staff was very helpful and attentive. Wine list was big but overpriced. My $70 grass fed steak was so salty it was nearly inedible. Two other steaks at the table were overcooked; one was voluntarily returned by the waitress to be refired. NO green veggies in the house (guess Safeway wasn't open?). Other places in the valley to enjoy.Special Features:
- JakeDined on 7/26/2014This was not a memorable experience, food was Good, but not a "WOW" factor, Menu was extremely limited for side dishes. Green Vegetables ?Special Features:
- Better at the BardiningDined on 7/26/2014Great Bacon appetizer and bar snacks. Dinner dissapointing - ok food, overpriced for the experience. Far better local dining in Yountville (Ciccio , ADHOC), Rutherford (Rutherford Grill)as a home owner in St Helena (Tra Vigne, Farmstead, & Cook).Special Features:
- Foodie HeavenCaliCoutureDined on 7/19/2014What a memorable dining experience--everything was perfect from beginning to end. Voluminous wine list, however, we opted to carry in our wine and pay the reasonable corkage fee. The sommelier promptly chilled our sparking and opened/aerated our 16-year old Cab, to enjoy with dinner. I've been red-meat free for quite some time, but my visit to Press prompted me to order their succulent steak as a treat to myself--no regrets. Cozy outdoor seating with hearth; well stocked bar serving top shelf libations (hello Hangar One bourbon!), wait staff was superb. A bit pricey but YOLO and Press is definitely splurge-worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!MSIMPSDined on 7/14/2014One of the better restaurants I've been to in Napa. Great scene, great food, excellent steak!Special Features:
- Excellent food, servos not goodFernisDined on 7/14/2014It seemed as if they had forgotten about our food! We did not order appetizers, and it took an hour for the food to come out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Press2livewellDined on 7/14/2014Located in St Helena, Press restaurant delivered a near perfect dining experience. The wine list was the star, and the beautifully prepared food was a harmonious accompaniment. We paired cold cucumber soup with several whites by the glass before enjoying chicken for two and a split of Bond Vecina 2009. A single slice of Valhrona chocolate cake proved a great finish to the meal. The room at sunset was glowing, and the servers were knowledgeable and gracious at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014I am always a little cynical when it comes to steak-centric restaurants especially given the reviews I read before visiting. Our experience was a memorable one and I'll definitely make it back for another visit. The service was warm, friendly and just attentive enough. I especially thank the sommelier who pointed us in the right direction on several very reasonably bottles from the extensive list. The steaks were sublime and cooked to perfection and of the family style sides try the creamed kale. For desert we shared a soufflé as the perfect ending to the meal. The restaurant had great energy; the room a great mix of modern barn with just the right touch of elements that make you feel like you are in wine country!Special Features:
- Expensive steak in a cool decor!CholmondeleyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Have driven past many times and finally made it for dinner. We started with a cocktail in the lovely "outdoor room". Restaurant has a light rustic but hip vibe. Loved the ambience. Overall, food was very good but would expect nothing less as we made pretty basic selections... Chopped salad, Shrimp cocktail, Filet mignon. Steaks were ordered medium but one was on the well side and one on the rare side. Luckily, we swapped and were happy. Soggy fries - inexcusable! Chocolate soufflé was superb, ordered at the time of ordering entrees, but arrived very, very late to the table so I think she forgot it. The service was not very attentive. Shout out to the female sommelier - loved her! Expensive, tasty and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid everytime.JohnbungeeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Best eggs in the Napa Valley. Great wine list. Great specialty drinks. Great chocolate cake. Lovely room. Not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Birthday DinnerJesssDined on 7/9/2014We dined for my boyfriend's birthday and it was absolutely fantastic. From the 2010 Saintsbury Pinot Noir to Crab/Lobster cakes to the FIlet with Mushrooms and don't get me started on the truffle mac n cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They even brought him a slice of cheesecake that wasn't on the menu because it is his favorite, very kind of them! We had a wonderful time and just can't wait to go back and sit outside!Special Features:
- Great ambience, great foodbunnyrulesDined on 7/7/2014Took my family here on a Monday night. As requested, we got seated outdoor right in front of the fireplace - which is the best table in the house in our opinion. Cannot be happier with the food and the service. Thank you Press for a great night :)Special Features:
- Our perfect 4th of JulyMattVIPDined on 7/4/2014We always come here for the 4th and this year especially the food was more than outstanding!! Bravo to the chef and his staff. The waitstaff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LovelyTXDined on 7/2/2014The food was great. Wine was good. Service was on point. One of the wine cellars we visited recommended the bacon appetizer. It wasn't on the main dining room menu, just the bar menu, but our server said we could still get it. It was well worth the calories. After all, it was vacation. We ate every ounce of it. Salads are big, even the side salads. Steaks are spot on. Yum!Special Features:
- Average steak, just average...lalazhuDined on 6/29/2014We were really looking forward to dinning ar Press. Ordered a couple salads and appetizers, followed with steak dinner: filet mignon, ribeye, as well as the grass fed bavette, finished up with chocolate soufflé, strawberry shortcake...etc. Well, regardless how it tasted, at least 2 of the 5 of us had the runs within 2 hours, and one of us had excruciating stomach pain. Now on to the food, it's relatively pricy, 8oz steak for about $35~$48 depending on the cut. Is it worth it? We have had better and cheaper. Definitely not memorable. The highlight of the night was actually the coffee, rich and creamy. It's from a local coffee company in San Francisco. If you are looking for the best steak of your life, this is not the place, sorry... My 2c.
- Beef Eater UniteFrancoDined on 6/29/2014If you are interested in enjoying the best steaks in Napa Valley in a crisp, bright and enjoyable setting you must hurry and book a table at Press. The food, service and surrounding are wonderful. Start with the Press G&T and the rest will fall into place. The meat selection is a bit pricey but the buttery, smokey taste makes it all worthwhile. You can pass on the Fruit and Veggie salad but the must have Chocolate Dessert is a great cap to an almost perfect meal.Special Features:
- A NEW CHEF AT PRESS . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is one (of many) of our favorite restaurants in the Napa Valley. Although the new Chef (as expected) seems to be putting a new spin on things. We started with the Half Maine Lobster Cocktail ($21) which was good, but not great. We then had the Little Gem Chopped Salad ($16) which used to be a fantastic salad, until they messed with it. We then shared the Hanger Steak ($40) with the Truffle Butter and a side of Sauteed Mushrooms, all good, but not a $40 Hanger Steak (of all cuts)! Also had the Potato Cake ($11) which was decent, but a little dry. We ended with the Sundae ($13) it was very bland and light on toppings. I ordered a Capuccino and it was very weak / flavored water . . . New Chef or Off Night . . . or Both . . . not sure ?!Special Features:
- Spectacular!FoodloverDined on 6/27/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Napa, with the valley's best wine list. Spectacular service, wonderful ambience, a perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Exquisite ExperienceMarnieDined on 6/20/2014The food along with the service was exquisite. Our gulf shrimp cocktail was amazing. I highly recommend the truffle Mac...We split a 24oz. dry aged ribeye that had a cheery wood char to die for. We are already planning our next reservation....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.