Prepkitchen Del Mar
1201 Camino del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Prepkitchen Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prepkitchen.com/
- Phone: (858) 792-7737
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-3pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am-3pm
Sunset Menu Daily: 3:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Johnston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prepkitchen Del Mar
With an eye to the ocean, Prepkitchen Del Mar is located in the heart of Del Mar on the corner of Camino Del Mar & 12th street. Recently named San Diego’s “Best Outdoor Dining” spot by San Diego Citybeat readers, Prepkitchen Del Mar offers exceptional sun-kissed patio seating in addition to its indoor dining room. Similar to its sister locations – Prepkitchen La Jolla & Prepkitchen Little Italy – Del Mar serves artisanal, farm-to-table cuisine in a casual, sociable environment.Continued
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Prepkitchen Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (69)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (21)special occasion (20)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (17)romantic (17)hot spot (17)good for groups (15)scenic view (14)notable wine list (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I love this place!FoodielovaVIPDined on 4/4/2014Every single time I go to Prep Kitchen, Del Mar I get exceptional service, and lots of love. I appreciate the extra moments they add on to special occasions and have always walked away super happy and satisfied. I love this place. Thank you. Your always, a regular! :)Special Features:
- Been here 2 times and bothOCcoupleVIPDined on 3/31/2014Been here 2 times and both really good. Nice to have a reliable option in Del Mar.Special Features:
- Love both Prep Kitchen restaurants.MelRDined on 3/28/2014Love both Prep Kitchen restaurants. The food is incredible and so is the service. I always recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very limited menuHaneFanVIPDined on 3/22/2014Sometimes you'll like it, sometimes you won't. Whisknladle, a sister restaurant, is better.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!!!!CaloriVIPDined on 3/18/2014I had been dying to try this place and when a friend who I lunch with, typically at a place neither of has eaten at before, agreed to go even though she had been to the location in La Jolla I was ecstatic. Lovely patio seating. Super delicious mussels. Friend's soup of the day and tuna sandwich were outstanding. Service was attentive. I am very particular about what I eat and I am so thrilled to have found my go-to restaurant in Del Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overallhungryDined on 3/15/2014Food was overpriced and not that great. Staff knew table next to us..tattooed employee stood next to our table almost our whole dinner
- i love this place after the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 3/15/2014another great beach sess followed by a great brunch at prep. the huevos rancheros & chilaquiles are the best ever, period, nuff said. They are spot on with their lunch, dinner & now confirmed brunch. I may go back for dinner.Special Features:
- such a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 3/14/2014i will keep this short & sweet, I love this place, great food, reasonably priced & the staff is fantastic. Try it you will not be dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My faovrite restaraunt inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2014My faovrite restaraunt in San Diego. Simply elegant, phenominal food without being pretentious. Great blend of Mediteranean, modern, and American Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a casual dinnerdrsandmomDined on 3/11/2014We had a terrific dinner at Prepkitchen with friends. We were entertained by the great Dane at the table near us. The food was very good and well-presented, hot and tasty. The service was attentive and prompt without being intrusive. The wait staff was very knowledgeable about each dish when we questioned the preparations. Most of the dining is outside, so this would present a problem on days when the weather is not so nice, and we highly recommend dressing warmly for dinner in the winter months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wouldn't say that PrepKitchenlabmomDined on 3/9/2014I wouldn't say that PrepKitchen was a destination restaurant, but if you're in the neighborhood and looking for some interesting takes on current food trends, by all means stop in. Service was attentive and knowledgable. Ambience appropriate to the whole neighborhood, street-side vibe (though why can't people teach their children about the appropriateness of "place" and behaving differently there than at home or at daycare?!). Outdoor patio, where we sat, was dog friendly too (better behaved than the kids). Food was either "(Big) hit" or "OK", no misses here. Tempura fava beans were to die for, as were patatas bravas and pork belly. Fried green potatos and vietnamese chicken wings were OK, good but not memorable in any way. Stop in..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a friendlier hostesspverduVIPDined on 3/9/2014Wouldn't it be nice if restaurant hostesses weren't on control trips? Really, in this case, it was a matter of sitting in the full sun or needing to find a different restaurant to have lunch. Once she saw that we were considering leaving, she showed us to a table in the shade. Much ado about nothing. It seems entirely counter intuitive that the first experience a customer has with any restaurant is unpleasant because the hostess is snippy. I considered leaving. BTW, the restaurant never filled completely up and no one wanted to sit directly in the sun during the hour we were there. Sheesh.Special Features:
- A quaint placevietphooDined on 2/28/2014The food, delicious. The low lighting created a nice ambiance for a romantic dinner. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. Overall I like the selection of wine. I will return the next time I'm in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and a Happy Hour BonusDJohnosnDined on 2/24/2014Two friends and I recently met for dinner at Prep Kitchen Del Mar. We arrived before 6PM and so were in time for their happy hour prices for wine and tapas. Wines for 25% off (specials on Sangria and beers as well). Tapas plates were also discounted. So... we shared the charred brussel sprouts and bacon and the patates bravas - both were delicous. We also had the Viet Nam style chicken wings which were only disappointing in that they weren't spicy. And finally, we shared the kale and squash panzanella salad, which was refreshing after the three fried dishes. Our wine, the Meritage was lovely. All of that came to $26.00 each due to happy hour prices.Special Features:
- A bit too pricey for what you get.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014A bit too pricey for what you get. A $20 hamburger better be a good hamburger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, relaxing and cooldiningladiesDined on 2/9/2014I like a more limited menu becausten what the chef is serving is sure to be good. Had Patatas Bravad and could have stopped here they were so tasty! For entree had homemade gnocci, it too was delicious albiet a tad heavy with the sausage but then again it is gnocci. Only complaint from my friend was she felt the wine pour was a bit skimpy and we were never offered bread. Nevertheless,it will definitely be added to rotation of favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DevineDelmargirlVIPDined on 2/7/2014PrepKitchen has been one of my favorites for many years. The service has been impeccable. You rarely see such attentive service on an individual basis at restaurants. The food is consistent, delicious, beautiful. I wish they had a bar, but I will take their notable wine list and beer list any time. A very beautiful ambience, great to take your date, or guests that you want to impress. I appreciate Peter and his team greatly, and this is definitely on the top of my list of go to places.Special Features:
- Awesome evening at Prep KitchenFoodieVIPDined on 2/4/2014A business colleague was visiting from Boston (in January). As a fellow "foodie" I chose Prep Kitchen Del Mar - casual, unique setting, great food, even outdoor seating, something someone from Boston would never attempt! Somehow the food Tuesday evening was wonderful. We shared the baked calamari appetizer - probably the best calamari I've ever had, amazingly tender. And a pleasure that it was baked not fried! For entrees, we both chose the Lamb Shank with spinach and a shaved dry cheese (ok, I forgot which one, but it'll come to me later). Again, wow! Beautifully prepared, the lamb just fell off the bone with a fork. Served on top of white beans which was a perfect flavor accompaniment. I'll be back!Special Features:
- I loved how they opened theirOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014I loved how they opened their whole menu up for restaurant week. The food was good. I loved the dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were great.ChristaDined on 1/29/2014Food and service were great. Was hesitant before because of the pricing. Now I know I will get my money's worth and am willing to go back and pay full price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to returnkellydDined on 1/29/2014Everything was even better than I expected. My husband and I spent our anniversary here at the Del Mar location and we are happy with everything from the food to the helpful service (especially since I am so indecisive when the entire menu looks good). I recommend coming here and enjoying a relaxing meal. You won't be disappointed. I also recommend Whisknladle as well!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week a Must!HhowardVIPDined on 1/27/2014My husband and I are regulars at the prep kitchen del mar. We love the vibe and food. We visited during restaurant week and had a great meal. I started with the Vietnamese Chicken Wings and they were delicious, packed with flavor...yum! My hubby had the Anchovy Caesar Salad to start and his plate was licked clean. We both had the gnocchi ragu and those little potato dumplings melted in our mouth...still thinking about it. I had the Bodin and hubby had the Sticky Toffee Pudding and we finished our desserts in less than 5 minutes. Well done PrepKitchen Del Mar. Well done indeed.Special Features:
- Review Title- FoodFatGuylilCoatDined on 1/26/2014I am a big fan of the Whisk and Ladle in La Jolla and came in here to Prepkitchen for restaurant week. Food and service were fantastic. I can't say enough how much I loved the food. Everything on the table was excellent. The beef was perfect. The gnocchi was perfect and pillowy like a cloud. None of this potato dumpling stuff restaurants try and pull on you. Mussels and the board to start. Mussels were excellent, I needed more bread so I could get all of the broth. Ate everything on the board, especially the pickled onions. Note*Everything on the board is delicious people. They wouldn't put it on their if it wasn't. Try all of it* desert was perfect. If you're looking for quality food, eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findSteveDined on 1/25/2014The Del Mar Prepkitchen has a great staff that go out of there way to make sure their patrons have a good time. We got there early so we had to wait but Peter comp'ed us so drinks and sent over a free appetizer. Food was all delicious a d overall we were very pleased with the dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedSanDiegonewbieDined on 1/24/2014Let's start with the wine list which is thin at best. At a table of four all pretty well versed in wine but not wine snobs we were hard pressed to find anything by the glass that wasn't disappointing so we ordered a bottle that ended up being only okay. The food we were told was their regular menu priced for Resturant Week. The bacon wrapped dates were tasty. The pork belly succulent but the entrees were meh. The wait staff was a bit snarky. Wait staff sets the tone for a meal. The tone I got was why are you bothering us. Stick to appetizers at Prep Kitchen in Little Italy which has a full bar and a better staff.Special Features:
- this place rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/24/2014i love prepkitchen. the burger is to die for & it is a casual environment which is quite the change of pace for del mar. this place is a gem, period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food, unbelievableJillDined on 1/23/2014wonderful food, unbelievable service....I felt soooo pamperedSpecial Features:
- prepkitchen nailed it once againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/23/2014I cannot say enough great stuff about this place. i love the food here & the staff is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very well prepared fooddiningsleuth1Dined on 1/22/2014Nice breadth in the menu, excellent food preparation and service, and we liked this place even more for dinner than lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrepKitchen Del Mar deliversrosesDined on 1/22/2014We have been to the Little Italy location and loved the food and ambiance. The Del Mar location is closer for us, and we were delighted that the food and character of the restaurant were comparable. In addition, the staff at this restaurant is very attentive, quick and made our dinner even more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great findPlushieboyDined on 1/19/2014We were in Del Mar and took a chance on this place. The food, service and overall experience were top quality. Loved the cutting board appetizer, the yellowtail was as good as any fish house I have eaten at and the desserts were perfect compliments to a fine meal. My wife had the cheeseburger and the fried egg on top was something we haven't enjoyed since dining in South America. Highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedRachelDined on 1/19/2014Was so excited to try Prep Kitchen. Went for restaurant week because they opened their whole menu up. For what their prices normally are, I was not impressed. The descriptions were fabulous but the flavors did not live up to the descriptions. It was still good, just not WOW. I will likely not be back.
- Excellent, personable service.AmpkeVIPDined on 1/19/2014Excellent, personable service. Creative appetizers. The budino and galette Desserts were highlights! Intimate ambiance. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip casual placeTisheeTDined on 1/19/2014We tried PrepKitchen in Del Mar for San Diego Restaurant Week on a Sunday night. One person arrived early and there is very little waiting area (no lounge/bar). The staff was attentive but our dishes arrived separately and not too warm. We tried the shrimp, mussels, and dates for starters. The mussels and bacon wrapped dates were the best for sharing. Very comfort food oriented menu. I had the seabass for my main entree and the chocolate dessert - both were delicious. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual!DMdinerVIPDined on 1/8/2014Came for a birthday lunch with a friend. We both had the smoked chicken salad (my favorite). It was excellent as usual! Our server was very nice. They comped our dessert--a generous slice of divine chocolate cake! YUM!! Love this neighborhood gem! Will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2014We've dined here over the years and the quality and inventiveness of the food continue to impress. Menu changes regularly. Service is consistently attentive. Prepkitchen hits the right notes in every detail. Nicely appointed dining room with an even larger outdoor dining area where dogs are welcome. It's rare to find a foodie place that also loves dogs. Prepkitchen is among our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great Food2064Dined on 1/3/2014Many different flavors. We were so happy with the appetizers and salads, we only ordered on entree to share. The sauces were magnificent. All seemed healthy and fresh and classy. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner spotAustinbeVIPDined on 12/29/2013We loved our dinner here. We ordered several appetizers, two salads and two entrees. Shared it all. Lots to eat. Multiple flavor a. Bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese my personal favorite. Service was outstanding. Ambiance great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & FoodFoodielovaVIPDined on 12/22/2013We had a great time here and loved our server. Thank you.Special Features:
- Always delightfulVerbalRemedyDined on 12/14/2013What's not to love? The staff are welcoming and friendly, the food is consistently fresh and creatively prepared, and the setting in Del Mar village is delightful, especially on long summer evenings. Try the local mussels and pommes frites! Nom!Special Features: