Prepkitchen Del Mar
1201 Camino del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Prepkitchen Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prepkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8587927737x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch -- Monday Through Friday 1130am-3pm
Brunch -- Saturday & Sunday 10am-3pm
Sunset Menu Daily --- 3pm-5pm
Dinner Daily -- 5pm-9pm
Happy Hour Daily 3pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Johnston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prepkitchen Del Mar
With an eye to the ocean, Prepkitchen Del Mar is located in the heart of Del Mar on the corner of Camino Del Mar & 12th street. Recently named San Diego’s “Best Outdoor Dining” spot by San Diego Citybeat readers, Prepkitchen Del Mar offers exceptional sun-kissed patio seating in addition to its indoor dining room. Similar to its sister locations – Prepkitchen La Jolla & Prepkitchen Little Italy – Del Mar serves artisanal, farm-to-table cuisine in a casual, sociable environment.Continued
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Prepkitchen Del Mar serves lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch on the weekends, which includes happy hour priced mimosas & $1 coffee.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Prepkitchen Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (62)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (29)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (24)special occasion (24)scenic view (22)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)notable wine list (12)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/14/2014we were in torrey pines and wanted to grab dinner. We knew there was a location in LaJolla, but saw this place was close and gave it a try. Everything was great. service was great. the beet salad, the braised beef short rib were great. the chocolate cake dessert with caramel ice cream was good too. nice portion control. i guess you could share it all if you weren't that hungry.Special Features:
- Bacck to Prepkitchen Del MarCVFoodiesDined on 9/13/2014We haven't been back to Prepkitchen since they rebuilt after the kitchen fire. It's even better now! Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointing At Bestpmb2934dDined on 9/12/2014My wife arrived at the restaurant at 4:40 pm on Saturday 9/12 for a 5:00 pm birthday celebration. There were no other guests in the restaurant at this time. We ordered two WNL Burgers-one Medium and the other Medium Rare. The burgers came out about 15 minutes later and were both RARE. My wife returned her burger. My wife's burger came back-re-fired not new and again was barely medium rare. We gave both burgers back to the server.Two new burgers were brought to our table. Both were MEDIUM WELL. We both ate 1/2 of the new burgers as we were very hungry now that it was 6:00 pm. Management took one burger and my soda off of the check.No apology was offered by management Our server seemed genuinely concerned that we had received a bad experience
- Delicious brunch in a great settingnycyumDined on 8/30/2014The outdoor patio at PrepKitchen Del Mar is absolutely lovely, and the food is just as fantastic as every other PK restaurant. We enjoyed a great brunch outside with the puppy, and the restaurant was very welcoming. The donut holes were perfect for sharing, and my omelette was perfectly prepared. The price was reasonable and the portion was big enough that I had breakfast for the next day. I probably wouldn't try the cucumber mimosa again, but it wasn't bad- just not exactly my taste. Overall, a great place to sit and enjoy the sunshine and some delicious cuisine!Special Features:
- We loved your happy hour!GailCVIPDined on 8/21/2014We came for the happy hour and really appreciated the wonderful choices-- We enjoyed the tuna tartar, the radishes with butter, the papas, and the crostini. We also had a wonderful beet and spinach salad--fabulous!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014In Del Mar for a relaxing afternoon & this location was the perfect choice. Great food, Delightful service & a great atmosphere. I would recommend 110% to any & all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuban sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014great sandwich, pickles were a great touch an I would like to think I would get a similar sandwich in MiamiSpecial Features:
- Food with FlairSuzyVIPDined on 8/20/2014From start to finish, entering the restaurant in daylight and looking at the menu, then leaving in the darkness of evening is all magical. The lights at night surround the outside dining area, and the inside decor is quirky and "modernly" old timey. Milk jugs for carafe of water, for example. Compliments to the chef who really knows how to prepare vegetables, and offer a healthy variety of choices. The food is exceptional and desserts charming. Would like a few more non-chocolate, vegan choices for desserts, however. Thank you to the staff who all made us feel quite welcome and at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Varied menu but chef is open to changes due to diet and allergies, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional...RONSVIPDined on 8/12/2014Dinner at 9pm, sat outside, service was great, good beer selection, decent wine list. Food was exceptional, from the burger, to steak and pastas. Good portion sizes, room for dessert after. Best meal on vacation so far.Special Features:
- Great Food - Limited Veggie OptionsraviiesDined on 8/4/2014I picked this restaurant for our Wedding Anniversary after looking at their menu and reading reviews on Yelp. We were bit surprised to see that the Vegetarian Entree Options was lacking. I was bit disappointed to learn that they were not willing to make custom vegetarian dishes. That said the Vegetarian options available include: 1 soup, 1 sandwich and 3 salads. We ordered the soup, sandwich and picked one of the 3 salads. The food was extraordinary. I would recommend this restaurant to both my vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for localsPasmalDined on 8/2/2014Prep Kitchen sits on the site of many recent failed restsurants. The new owners, with knowledge of San Diego 'a neighborhoods, have moved towards catering to the local populace, not the tourist traffic, which can be rather seasonal, if there is such a thing as seasons in San Diego. The menu is simple, changes based on callable ingredients, and is well prepared and portioned. The management and staff are attentive. My only complaints are as follows: the red wine served was more warm than cool and we were seated near a rather boisterous and loud group of 9. Nevertheless, we would probably return, and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, limited menuForrest2bDined on 7/28/2014The quality of the food is excellent, at a level I would expect form a place in La Jolla and Del Mar. The drawback is how limited the selection is and that it rotates. I'd highly recommend looking at the menu before going to make sure they have something that suits you and your date.Special Features:
- 3 out of 4 excellent dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Bean/arugula salad, halibut, and bread pudding were excellent. Beef tenderloin was pedestrian and tough. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hgbmkt20VIPDined on 7/24/2014service and food are always reliable and delicious. Great outdoor seating so you can bring you dog. They are very dog friendly.Special Features:
- great dinner place - mediocre lunchsecondtimetesterDined on 7/24/2014Ordered the fish sandwich - the fish was overcooked and very dry - the large pile of greasy potato chips was daunting - the sauces for the sandwich were good but very oily - the plate was unimaginative and needed color. We have had dinner here twice and loved it but lunch was disappointing. One of us ordered the mussels and has enjoyed those also in the past. Our third friend was also disappointed.
- Great restaurantLuv2shareDined on 7/20/2014Creative and delicious food . Eyes and taste Pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- right place right timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/19/2014i made a reservation & I unfortunately told my guest that we were going to whisknladle. I managed to have their donut holes & $1 coffee while I waited & they were both amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/18/2014I visit this restaurant often & they never let me down. All around another 5 star experience!Special Features:
- Great FindKarenhDined on 7/17/2014This is a great neighborhood find, with good food and an adequate wine list. The ambiance is upbeat and vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/17/2014I would say I eat here more than anywhere else. It is their consistency as well as their approach to the ever changing menu. I have begun to let the staff choose what I will eat as they are so informed & have yet to steer me wrong. CAnnot say enough great things about this placeSpecial Features:
- Yum!bucketlistgirl12Dined on 7/12/2014The food here is unparalleled. PrepKitchen certainly does satisfy their customers: they know how to put a unique twist to any classic meal! One of my new favorite places to eat now.Special Features:
- pork chopOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/9/2014their pork chop is back & it is simply amazing, I think there was polenta or something with it that gave the dish a certain creaminess that was awesomeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/8/2014Exceptional food & great service. Can't ask for more.Special Features:
- beet saladOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/3/2014if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out. Don't really care for beets myself, but they have shown me what fresh ingredients can do to a perception, kudos once again.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/2/2014Eric our serve is one of the best !! Food was even better anyone who would not like this place does not like good food or fun period !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd be a regular if I lived closertn2latomVIPDined on 6/29/2014I travel to San Diego about once a month for business and always stay in Del Mar. I try to go to Prep Kitchen each visit, and sometimes I go more than once. I think the service is always great, they seem to really care about what they are doing. The menu changes regularly, and while I have had some things that I liked more than others, the food quality is always great. I have to say, Gwen has waited on us a few times, and she really is terrific. I've been in hospitality for a very long time, and I know people are quick to tell you when someone/something makes them unhappy. I want to give her credit. She's always personable and goes that extra step to make sure you enjoy yourself and have positive time. I look forward to going back again!Special Features:
- Casual tops all the wayKiwiDined on 6/29/2014Would love to eat here every night. With changing eclectic menus and flavors to die for with seasonally available options. We will go often.Special Features:
- Del Mar gem off the beaten pathLJSDVIPDined on 6/28/2014Just off the main intersection in Del Mar with a great ambiance and wonderful food. Casual atmosphere and you can sit in or out (I prefer out and there are plenty of heat lamps). Great food - not a huge menu but plenty of choices.Special Features:
- Food rockscorksageDined on 6/17/2014I'm a vegetarian and love this restaurant because the food is delicious, there are multiple veggie options, and always changing!Special Features:
- Too expensive, compared to the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014The food was great, but it's too expensive compared to other restaurants in the area with the same quality.
- food is fabulousEncinitasSusDined on 6/14/2014Prep Kitchen Del Mar is a must if you like great food. Everything is fresh and farm to table.The cured olives they make are my all time favorite. Ths menu changes frequently so there is always something new to try. Service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- Dark and frustratingsagechoiceVIPDined on 6/8/2014OpenTable showed 8:30pm as the only available reservation time for our party of five. However, upon arrival at 8:30pm, we found that the restaurant was almost completely empty, which was extremely frustrating. The ambiance was great, but almost to a fault. It was SO very dark out on the patio that we were forced to resort to using our cell phone flashlights to read the menus, as well as illuminate our cutting board appetizer. Previous experiences at Prepkitchen Del Mar have been outstanding, so this experience was quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a huge fan!JoanyblueDined on 6/8/2014There is such a good vibe coming out of this place! The food is interesting, well-prepared, cleverly presented and exceptionally good. Mussels are to-die-for sweet and flavorful. Brunch items are fresh and satisfying. Above all else is the staff! Everyone is super cool, friendly, professional, organized. Not just our wait person, but everyone that works there treated us like "stars". Finally! I have found the perfect casual dining place. Thank you PK.Special Features:
- OverpricedMarkVIPDined on 6/1/2014Great service. Mediocre food. Very overpriced. Nice location
- food was OKmyreviewDined on 5/25/2014I was expecting more of this place. The food was OK, my eggs were a bit squishy. The waiter was a little rude. We had barely finished our food and he kept checking to see if we wanted anything else - he clearly wanted us gone. There were several open tables, so not sure why the big deal to get rid of us. I'm sure I'll find someplace else next time I am in Del Mar.Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Prepkitchen Del Mar reviews archive.
- CreativeStranmanVIPDined on 5/18/2014Unique Great Food and presentation. Very friendly service and atmosphere. How can you beat it.Special Features:
- Sat 17th MayMrsBUKDined on 5/17/2014We had a great meal at PrepKitchen. Fabulous food, great flavours and creative menu. Would recommend and come again. Fabulous moules but ditch the chips and add bread or fries! Juices too good to waste.Special Features:
- Local delightLarryVIPDined on 5/17/2014Was looking for a restaurant with organic food. While they don't advertise organic some ingredients probably are. The chicken was Marys brand which is indeed organic. Regardless, all the food was prepared well and was excellent. Superbly made ceasar salad with great flavor. We also had a custom burger with bacon, and topped with an egg. While it was very good it is quite messy to eat. The French fries were wonderful. Serving sizes are large so consider splitting an entree.Special Features:
- great service spectacular foodTimBDined on 5/16/2014I come here whenever in town on business, which is about one a week and have experienced great service and spectacular food ALWAYS. This is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.