1801 E. Cotati Ave
Rohnert Park, CA 94928Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonoma.edu/prelude/
- Phone: (707) 664-4243
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M,T,Th,Sa 5:00pm-8:00pm
Brunch: Su 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Shaun Dayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prelude
Enveloped in understated elegance and located within the Donald and Maureen Green Music Center, the restaurant is open on all concert evenings and available for hosting events. Exemplary culinary creations are focused on local products with exquisite attention to detail. Our bright and flavorful menu will pull from the bounty of locally grown foods from Sonoma County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Prelude - Best Restaurants in Rohnert Park ›
Prelude reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Prelude is a prelude to disaster!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/9/2013This was the worst dining experience I have ever had: 1- We arrived almost 2 hours before the SR Symphony performance and barely got out of the restaurant in time. 2- No one even acknowledged our presence (besides seating us) for over 30 minutes. 3- We were not informed about the specials and never asked if we wanted coffee or dessert (thank God!). 4- The worst was the fact that once I asked about the specials, I was told by the Manager that the special was "lobster ravioli", which I then ordered. When it came, there was no lobster at all, so I asked the chef, who was walking the dining room and he said there was no lobster ravioli on the menu and no lobster in the kitchen at all!!! We will never go back to Prelude again!
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2013It is a sweet idea to have student waiters, but if you want to charge these prices they need to be trained! Our waiter was clueless. I had to remind him to bring things (like our drinks), he had no sense of when to come to the table, made us wait to give our order while waiting on people next to us who were sat later, etc. Food was good but not great given the prices. Clearly set up as an "airport type restaurant": captive audience for the green center so you can charge whatever you want.
- Overpriced for a pretty ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2013Overpriced for a pretty ordinary meal in an outstanding venue.Special Features:
- Love the idea (student-training);OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2013Love the idea (student-training); superb food; enjoyable service -- all in a fabulous venue prior to enjoying a concert; spectacular combination!...Special Features:
- The restaurant is very wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2013The restaurant is very well decorated. On tables for two you are very close and there isn't much privacy. Students are waiting tables and doing a good job - will be better with more experience. It is a great way to have dinner and go to the symphony and not have to park twice. Convenient.Special Features:
- Young staff was kind but obviouslyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2013Young staff was kind but obviously inexperienced. We wondered if they were culinary students and if so it should be noted/advertised so there is not an expectation of professional staff. Our brunch arrived about 30 minutes after we ordered. Buckwheat crepes were cold and wait staff said it was a dish that was served at room temp...maybe something to note on menu. Otherwise very nice atmosphere and would love to have as 'go to' for symphony if it can come up to caliber of other offerings in Sonoma County.
- Very nice ambiance, good pricescomeadorDined on 1/13/2013Very nice ambiance, good prices for the quality of the food. Only complaint is that food was a little cold because service was slow, but we had a very large group.Special Features:
- Great spot for a pre-theatreGolferGalDined on 1/12/2013Great spot for a pre-theatre before a symphony at the Green Performing Arts CenterSpecial Features:
- Conveniently located to theJenMaDined on 12/9/2012Conveniently located to the Green Music Center, Prelude makes a nice place to stop after a performance to eat, drink, and consider the lovely music just heard. The service was friendly, but not efficient. The people who sat after us at the next table had their tea before we were able to order our drinks. Of the wines on their by-the-glass list, they were out of the first two I tried to order. Unfortunately, they are charging Wine Country prices for their food. A plate of butternut ravioli without any accompaniments was nearly $20, and while it was tasty, it was also overpriced. I might pay these sorts of prices at one of the Sonoma restaurants with accomplished chefs (Zazu, Spinster Sisters...), but not again at Prelude.
- Before Performance TreatMRandMRSVDined on 12/8/2012Only open when there is a performance But what a treat to begin the evening.Special Features:
- This may be the worst diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/3/2012This may be the worst dining experience I have had in a long time. The restaurant, run by students, is newly open in the beautiful, new concert and dining facility at Sonoma State University. We might forgive glitches in service, if the food were good. The tomato soup arrived luke warm. I sent it back. It returned in at the same temperature. The hamburger bun was a soggy rendition of wonder bread. The bland chicken pieces were served with a tasteless, brown rice patty on overcooked greens. Service was very slow, lacking special touches such as the sparkling water bottle was set on the table with the cap on and not poured. We were given the wrong bill at the end of the meal and the waitress did not know how to work the credit card machine.Special Features:
- Good first effort for a student-runOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/3/2012Good first effort for a student-run adjunct to support the Green Center. Just opened a month ago, and notopen everyday for practice. They haven't quite got it well sorted out yet. Appetizers on the table next to us were cold, and even when re-heated per diner's request, was not warm enough. My dish was excellent (vegetarian roasted vegetables) as was the ceaser salad (although portion tiny) butanother dish-- chicken -- was overcooked (and likely previously cooked) as one of the feature dishes. Kitchen could not keep up with orders and service cheerful and attentive but too leasurily. Will improve with experience I am sure, and willing to give it another go next month.
- location good for symphonyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/3/2012location good for symphony but the staff is sweet but unprofessional and food is fair at best.
- I really want to like thisSymphonynightreviewDined on 12/3/2012I really want to like this restaurant because it is so CONVENIENT. That is why I recommend it. But...they try way too hard plating food and I would prefer good, hot, untouched food . To me, the prettier my food is on a plate just tells me someone in the kitchen is over handling my dinner. Please stick to the basics.
- This is a new opportunitySatisfiedVIPDined on 12/2/2012This is a new opportunity on the campus of Sonoma State University with the opening of the Green Music center. The food was wonderful. The wait staff are students who are learning the art of serving in a fine dining restaurant. Overall, they do a good job. Training needs to be a little more fine tuned with regard to placement of water glasses, retrieving the menus after the table has ordered. and placement of wine glasses and appropriate side to serve and clear dishes. They are so likeable, one can understand that there is a learning curve. That being said, for the prices charged, students need to be trained to perform at a higher level. It is a lovely venue.Special Features:
- Service was quite good butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/1/2012Service was quite good but we will not check our coats or umbrellas at the reception desk again. Picking up those items after the concert took quite a long time.
- We had a most wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2012We had a most wonderful experience. The staff treated us nicely and went out of their way to make the evening special. Prelude is a fine restaurant by itself but even better when combined with an event at the Green Center on Sonoma State Campus.Special Features:
- Foot tasty, ambiance quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2012Foot tasty, ambiance quite nice, service odd. Delivery of wine and food was not well timed. White wine arrived with first course (crab cakes) a few minutes later while still eating the crab cakes, the red wine was delivered ahead of the 2nd course. Within five minutes of that course arriving, while I was still eating and had plenty of food on the plate, I was asked if I was ready for the desert menu. Server was vrery nice and wanted to please but needs more practice with timin.Special Features:
- Excellent presentation ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2012Excellent presentation of very good food. Decent wine list. Nice ambience. However, service is provided by what appear to be local students who need more experience and training. Service was very slow, wine ordered first was not brought until after 1st course, and needed a reminder request. Whether slow service is due to wait staff or kitchen is not known.Special Features:
- Convenient before a performance,SymphonynightreviewDined on 11/5/2012Convenient before a performance, however they need to work on timing. Our food was brought out 15 min before the performance started and we had sat there for 45 min waiting.
- Some of the worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2012Some of the worst service we have ever had. Was seated and after 25 minutes I went in search of a wait person. Another 5 minutes and one finally showed up. Another 15 minutes to get our wine. Some of the tables around us got attention but even that became a joke amongst patrons. We were all laughing together because no one around us was getting good service asking for things 2 and 3 times. Sad because it is so convenient with season tickets to the symphony and other events. The food is good but hopefully the menu will change. This is the second time we have eaten there and the menu was the same. Will get boring soon. This is the wine country, major foodie area of California and a world class music venue. Staff training might help
- While not a "gourmet" restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2012While not a "gourmet" restaurant, this wonderful location has great potential. Current brunch offerings were more like a catered crowd event than a fine cooked-to-order restaurant; perhaps the event-related schedule prevents development of a great kitchen with attendant professional staffing. The brunch menu was limited but varied, and reasonably priced. Chicken crepe was not warm enough, but tasty. With a menu leaning towards the carbohydrates it is too bad that the dessert offerings are exclusively pastries.Special Features:
- Prelude is the new venue/restaurantMichaelDined on 11/3/2012Prelude is the new venue/restaurant that is part of the Green Music Center at Sonoma State University. The Green Music Center is the new Tanglewood of the West and is an amazing venue for musical entertainment for the North Bay. Prelude has been developed with the idea of providing patrons with a place to have dinner before performances as well as being a special event venue. What a beautiful room. Large, uncrowded, airy feeling. The touch of class is remarkable. The menu was simple, reflective of the season and yet diverse enough to meet many tastes. The staff is young, probably university students, who need more training yet obviously are trying hard. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Not open all the time--butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2012Not open all the time--but great for SF residents coming up to enjoy the Green Center music and locals for recognizing the excitement of a new venue.Special Features:
- Amazing place to go beforeDiscoveriesVIPDined on 10/28/2012Amazing place to go before a performance at the Green Center. Food was great.
- Thoroughly Enjoyed Ourselves...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2012We had brunch and we enjoyed the whole experience immensely. The atmosphere is celebratory, the appointments are beautiful, and you can see the attention to detail given to the furnishings...right down to the weighty but graceful, mirror-finished cutlery. The food was delicious, of high quality, and our seat mates at companion tables at the banquette fully agreed. I thought the prices were extremely reasonable...a kobe beef burger, cooked perfectly, on a brioche bun with heirloom tomatoes and other condiments, and a mountain of frites for $13 and change? Can't beat it. A leisurely time, you can have another glass of champagne as you are not DRIVING anywhere, and the student servers are charming. Will return again.Special Features:
- It is certainly very convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2012It is certainly very convenient to have a pre-concert meal next door to the Green Center, but the menu is very limited.
- We went before a performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012We went before a performance at Weill Hall on a Saturday. Since this was our first dining experience at Prelude we booked an early reservation at 5:45pm to insure we weren't late. The service was good. Not rushed or too slow. Six or 6:15pm would probably be sufficient time without being rushed. The menu is fairly limited. I had the spinach salad with blue cheese, nuts and cranberries with a tangy dressing to start. Good. Very similar to what I make at home. Both my husband and I had the stuffed chicken with rice and vegetables for $26.00. Excellent. For dessert I had the chocolate tort with raspberry sauce. Extremely rich. We sat near the fireplace and I had a view. However, it was a lovely evening and I would have preferred outside.Special Features:
- A very pleasant restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/20/2012Overall, a very nice restaurant in a beautiful setting and adjacent to Weill Hall and easy parking. The student waiters were eager to please and were friendly and did a nice job. The food was quite good and proper portions. The menu offered enough for my wife and I, but I suspect others would like a wider selection. They only recently opened and I predict they will add more dishesSpecial Features:
- It was a great experience.KK114Dined on 10/13/2012It was a great experience. We had tickets to the Green music center (next door) so the combination dinner and a show works very well. This was opening week so there were a few hiccups but the student server kept us very informed and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Rohnert Park finally has nice dningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2012I had the Salmon and my wife went with a Ravioli dish. Both were delicious, in filling proportions and beautifully presented. The wine list was small with no exceptional wines but they have reasonable corkage fee ($15) so you can bring your own alternative. Desserts were nothing to get excited about; adequate but not compelling. From earlier reviews, Prelude had some service problems. These seemed to be fixed by the time of our experience. The wait staff is young and largely inexperienced but still very attentive. Each interaction that could be handled quickly was handled quickly. The only "issue" we encountered was a lot of extra scurrying by the wait staff due, no doubt, to their limited experience.Special Features:
- A beautiful place but theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/8/2012A beautiful place but the servers are all students with no apparent professional training....very sweet, but. We waited 20 min for water and bread...then, having brought our own wine, they had to send for someone over 21 to open it, then we had to pour our own as the server was not 21. The Ceasar salad was 7 leaves, the crab cakes were dry with one teaspoon of light sauce and no lemon....no taste. The salmon was ok, but the check was also a big deal...we barely made it to the concert on time having arrived at 6:15. They need to bring in a professional to train the staff and brighten up the menu. It is convenient for the performances but I am not sure I would go back. They did comp our corkage as the service was acknowledged to be bad
- this was opening night andElainaDined on 10/6/2012this was opening night and so the staff was still getting the routine. Overall we enjoyed it and would return!Special Features:
- First Night of Symphony OpeningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012This was the first night for Santa Rosa Symphony opening. I think that was the reason that everything was not perfect. I will come back again & I expect things will have been worked out. The venue is beautiful!Special Features:
- New restaurant, new staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012New restaurant, new staff, needs some work still. My salmon was good though. Very convenient for concert goers at Green Music Center.
- For being their first nightFredDined on 10/6/2012For being their first night open to the public the waiting and kitchen staff did a great job. They all worked as a team. Everyone seem to receive their food on a timely matter as to not miss the opening of the Santa Rosa Symphony. Most of the staff were Sonoma State University students.Special Features: