1801 E. Cotati Ave
Rohnert Park, CA 94928Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonoma.edu/prelude/index.html
- Phone: 7076644243
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M,T,Th,Sa 5:00pm-8:00pm
Brunch: Su 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Prelude
Enveloped in understated elegance and located within the Donald and Maureen Green Music Center, the restaurant is open on all concert evenings and available for hosting events. Exemplary culinary creations are focused on local products with exquisite attention to detail. Our bright and flavorful menu will pull from the bounty of locally grown foods from Sonoma County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prelude reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (11)fit for foodies (7)romantic (5)good for groups (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Beautiful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014This was the first time I had been to Prelude. The restaurant is beautiful. There was a prix fixe menu I assume because the restaurant is only open when there is a show. There were enough options on the menu for me. The food was very good, not the most inventive but higher end. The wine list does not have a wide variety but it does have some local favorites so I was happy. I sat outside which was amazing. They have built in overhead heaters on the patio. I did not receive service for quite some time after I sat down, but once I did receive a server, he supplied great service the rest of the night.Special Features:
- Great theater venueOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014Prelude is a great place for dinner before a performance at the Green Center. The food is very good, it has a very interesting small wine list and the ambience is terrific. It is also nice to have dessert and a glass of champagne after the performance.Special Features:
- Nice before a showMRandMRSVDined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed our time at Prelude but wished there were more entree options and at least a hamburger for kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How lucky we are Prelude is openSatisfiedVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is a lovely restaurant. Due to the fact that Sonoma State Students are waiting tables, the level of professionalism is somewhat variable depending upon how much experience the student has had. That being said, we really enjoy the opportunity to dine at such a nice restaurant before attending a concertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location to launch an eveningSonomaCountyDinersDined on 7/31/2014Prelude is a good restaurant. The spacious setting is very elegant and relaxing. It's location makes it a perfect place to dine before a concert in the Green Center. Service is energetic and cheerful, though not experienced. Food is good and nicely presented. The menu is understandably limited by open hours dictated by the concert schedules. We were very pleased that service was geared to getting us into the auditorium on time. This is not a destination restaurant yet, but we see it evolving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent service by staff: Both the bar and the dining room! The vegetables that chef Joseph provided for the entrée were unique and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just Outstanding Pre-event!PatrickDined on 7/26/2014Being the only convenient restaurant option before attending events at the Green Music Center, we half expected a more captive audience experience than a memorable one, but we found the restaurant to be beautiful, comfortable, and gave us excellent value. Prix Fixe dinners were two or three courses for $35 or $45. Each course had three or four options. We had the gazpacho with panzanella salad for starter, dayboat scallops provencal for an entree and shared a hazelnut torte and local artisan cheese platter for dessert. Everything was fresh, seasonal and nicely presented. Potions were very generous. We were happy with our choices but looking at other plates as they went by it didn't seem like we could go wrong. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the PricelittledragonDined on 7/15/2014For the price of the prix fixe menu I had high expectations. I was not disappointed. The offerings were diverse and complimented one another nicely. As a lover of garlic, I appreciated the unapologetic spiciness of the green tomato gazpacho. My steak arrived at my table at the perfect temperature and doneness. It was flavorful and presented well. I especially liked the varieties of mushrooms and fresh green beans combined with the acidity of the heirloom tomatoes served with the steak and mashed potatoes. The espresso semi-freddo was a stylish and pleasant ending to the meal. All of the portions were generous and each dish was presented well. All the staff were cordial and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place to dine...CharVIPDined on 7/15/2014and then go to a concert. It's right in the Green Music Center at Sonoma State. Wait staff - students, I believe -- try hard. Food could be better. They do seem to try hard in the kitchen to put out what looks like a gourmet meal, but it doesn't quite make it. Flavors could be improved. We had gazpacho there and at a restaurant in Sonoma --- and there was no comparison -- Sonoma so much better. Salad good, not special. Scallop entree excellent, but beans uncooked. Steak so so. Sauce needed improvement. But beans were cooked okay and mushrooms with them excellent. Dessert good.Special Features:
- When couscous is not couscousDJPMoDined on 5/18/2014I was disappointed in the food and the food choices. I had read one menu online without realizing it is changed monthly, I think I heard. I decided on the lamb because it was advertised as being accompanied by Moroccan couscous with merquez sausage and spices. In reality it was bland pearl barley and the veggies were pickled, not spiced. The same for the roasted veggie salumi tray: the veggies were pickled not roasted. I acknowledge Ketel One vodka as being expensive, but as I was told it was the well vodka I did not expect it to be $12 a glass on the rocks.Special Features:
- Prelude fits the Bill!ChinziaDined on 5/18/2014Enjoyed our delicious lunch at Prelude, relaxed before our piano recital by Richard Goode. Will definitely eat there again, bar area and outdoors look inviting as well. Servers need practice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality over selectionAustintatiousDined on 5/11/2014The limited selection allows the chef to deliver superb quality. Our salad Nicoise had several large and perfectly grilled thick tuna slices. Our main courses were superb too. The wine select was small but excellent. Service was prompt. We shall return.Special Features:
- In the Mood at the Green CenterChuckDined on 5/11/2014Creative menus, college student wait staff pleasant and eager to please and learn, nice selection of half bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day OutingKelleyDined on 5/11/2014I took all of my mother's (I have three total) to the pre-fixed Mother's Day brunch last weekend and have been praised by each of them for my outstanding restaurant selection. The food was above-and-beyond fabulous, the ambience was extraordinary and the staff was superb. I could not have chosen a better location and look forward to taking my husband to Prelude soon!Special Features:
- OK but needs to improve serviceMurphDined on 5/4/2014Prelude is a nice place to go if you are attending a show at the Green Center. It is very pretty and the outdoor area looks especially inviting. I felt, along with many reviewers, that the menu was very limited and pricey for what you get. I also agree with the many reviews finding fault with the service. I understand that they are all students, but some things were inexcusable. Our server was very stony faced and didn't seem to really want to be there. Every time we switched courses, our used silverware was removed (which we expected), but it was NEVER replaced. And we could never find our server. So, by the time our last course arrived, we were literally eating it with our fingers because there was nothing left on the table.
- The following 92 reviews are from the Prelude reviews archive.
- A Great ExperienceRevandDonDined on 3/29/2014Located in the Green Music Center on the campus of Sonoma State University, we dined here for the first time prior to the Jessye Normal concert. Reservations are a must because the place was packed and people even dined while sitting at couches and lounge chairs with food placed on low coffee tables. While not realizing dinner was "prix fixe," the several choices seemed to appeal ot all appetites. Two-course prix fixe: $35. Three-course prix fixe: $45. It's a beautiful place and the food delicious. My only complaint is that the tables for two are too close together which makes having private conversations challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for a part time placeMyFathersSonDined on 3/16/2014Mussels with chorizo - excellent. Asparagus salad - very nice. Beef entree - a bit tough, but nicely seasoned and cooked properly. They have marvelous steak knives. Beet risotto was pretty flavorless - the only real low spot. Nice wait staff. Friendly and helpful, but not professionals. I'm willing to overlook a bunch of details to give some job experience to college students. It would be great if they could be open regularly, not just on performance days. That would probably smooth out the operations.Special Features:
- Concert dining @ The Green CenterDianaDDined on 3/16/2014A wonderful way to blend dining before a concert! Lovely atmosphere...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's convenientvirtualviviDined on 3/16/2014Prelude is convenient for dinner before a show at Weill Hall. The facility is beautiful. The food is mediocre; the plates are pretty, the flavors meh. The menu is limited and did not appeal to us; choices of sole, skirt steak, pork belly - not my idea of fine dining. The meal arrives quickly - one benefit of a small menu. Waiter was pleasant but did not provide professional level service - empty water and cocktail glasses halfway through dinner, nothing on the table to drink. Dessert was plopped down immediately after entree plates were removed. Coffee was not offered, we had to ask. One could think they were trying to get us out the door for showtime - but the show didn't start for an hour - more likely they wanted to re-seat the table.
- PRELUDEAdventurousFoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant makes the perfect prelude to a performance at the beautiful Green Hall. Reasonably priced prize fixe menu makes ordering simple and delivery prompt. Our first courses of soup and seared scallop/frisée salad were EXCELLANT. second courses of risotto and "pork belly confit" not so good. Pork belly was salty cured ham. Still will go back next performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant end to a fine concert..ConcertgoerDined on 3/9/2014Pleasant end to a fine concert.. Location and convenience at the concert venue is outstanding.Special Features:
- Convenient before or aftermindmavenVIPDined on 3/9/2014If you are going to a performance at the Green Center, it is very convenient before or after the performance. They need to have a lunch menu before the performance, not a dinner menu which is too heavy before.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining post symphony Weil HallRagsVIPDined on 2/16/2014This is an excellent choice for dining post any venue at Weil Hall on Sonoma State campus. It is truly upscale modern architechture delight and the food is exceedingly well prepared. Unusual find for a College campus dining experience. Weil Hall is a wonderful music hall and must do. Prelude is the recommended after concert dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComfortabletriesnewthingsVIPDined on 2/15/2014Convenient, expensive place for dinner when attending a performance at the Green Music center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the vegetarian optionseatsoutoftenDined on 2/14/2014We ate here for the first time on Valentine's Day, but it won't be the last. It is great to have such a nice restaurant as a part of the Green Music Center. So convenient - get there early for the concert, find a great parking space, eat a delicious meal, and walk only a few steps to the concert hall. As to the food itself, it was delicious. Several nice choices for vegetarians, which was great, and so appreciated. Portion sizes were also great, as one doesn't want to get stuffed right before attending a concert. The dining area is very attractive. Our server was quite chatty, but very nice, so that didn't bother us. We will definitely return to Prelude.Special Features:
- Before the concert hot spotMamieDined on 2/14/2014Prelude is our "go to" spot for a cocktail or before a concert meal at the Green Music Center. Given the fact that culinary students prep and serve the meal, it makes us feel good about supporting the restaurant. The ambiance is lovely and has views of the surrounding countryside and mountains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining experienceWrayVIPDined on 2/9/2014limited menu, but well-chosen limited menu but well-chosenSpecial Features:
- A great prelude to a performancesonomakidDined on 2/9/2014We were completely pleased by every aspect of our dining experience prior to a Sunday afternoon performance at the Green Center. The prix fixe menu selections are limited in number, but will please anyone's dining tastes. A good wine selection of by-the-glass and half bottles. Loved the crab salad and the seared sea scallops/mushrooms. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise in SonomaSFFoodFashistaDined on 2/5/2014Prelude is a very beautiful and sophisticated looking restaurant with a menu fixe. The selections were adequate and the presentations were lovely with the exception of a sauce with the scallops that was an unappetizing gray and did not appear to harmonize with the scallops that were quite delicious. The salads were great, wine very nice. Our waiter was truly attentive and cares about his customers. Overall we felt that food was not up to the price -- albeit we enjoyed our dinner in this lovely restaurant before attending a performance at the Green Music Center in the same building. All very beautiful and convenient.Special Features:
- YummyYummyDined on 1/12/2014We love this warm venue. Romantic, yet large enough for a big group. Love the fire place. We go with every performance.Special Features:
- Lunch at PreludeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/12/2014This restaurant in the front part of the Green Music Center is elegant, spacious, quiet and the food was fine, the wine well chosen and less pricey than at most restaurants. The waiters, very young, probably students from the University there, served nicely but should be more attentive.Special Features:
- PreludeSILKYDined on 12/15/2013Food is well prepared and elegantly presented. Wait staff is young, but very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the mbience and theGourmand1VIPDined on 12/8/2013We love the mbience and the tudent servers plus its convenience when attending concerts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/8/2013We planned to have brunch before an afternoon concert in the adjacent Weill Hall, as we had done several times last year. We were not alerted to the fact that the brunch option had been discontinued leaving only a pre fixe two or three course menu available. We were not expecting, nor did we want, a heavy meal early in the day, with the prospect of a lengthy concert ahead. Since we usually attend daytime concerts we will not be dining at Prelude unless the brunch menu is brought back.
- What a disappointment!susanDined on 12/7/2013We expected much more, especially in the quality of the food, and while my husband's meal was good, mine was definitely below par. There were very few entrée choices and I chose the fish. It was served with beans, which were dry and tasteless. If the dish had some kind of sauce, it would have been much more enjoyable. Not going back.
- Good food relaxing atmosphereChuckDined on 12/7/2013This quiet restaurant at the Green Music Center is the perfect spot for a quiet meal prior to the symphony or other event. Well presented locally sourced food prepared for visual enjoyment as well as taste. Lovely setting, quiet atmosphere, student servers who try hard to please. The food comes out quickly and is just the right amount prior to an evening of music. Relatively expensive, dinner for two with two glasses of wine runs $120 without tip. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Nice but PriceygrammyjDined on 11/23/2013Food was excellent. Menu was all Pri Fixe but it was a varied selection. I think $12 for a glass of wine is a bit much though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, relaxingSaraDined on 11/23/2013Eating at prelude was a great treat. Beautiful surroundings, great ambience, lots of space around tables, a great place to have conversations. Service was attentive and sensitive to all our needs. We had a great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine beforeFredDined on 11/9/2013Great place to dine before a concert at the Green Music Center. Great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can stand on its ownDoofusDined on 11/9/2013No longer must Prelude exist as just a convenient spot before a performance. Food preparations are superb. The table next to ours gushed, "This is the best filet mignon we've ever had!" Menu items are quite limited, however and inconsistently priced. Why should the farro risotto be priced the same as the filet mignon? Dessert offerings are weak. A fresh fruit tart should be listed. Wines tend to be very high in alcohol. But the ambiance and service are exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.