Prelude at McCaw Hall
321 Mercer Street
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
Seattle Center / Lower Queen Anne
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Prelude at McCaw Hall
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.savorsmgmccawhall.com/
- Phone: 2066150404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm For Event Days Only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Applin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by SAVOR... is not limited to McCaw Hall. We apply our extensive experience in both large and small-scale events at most any location in the Seattle Area. For over 20 years, our culinary team and experienced sales staff have created custom menus and unique special events to successfully support world-class events for small groups or thousands of people. You can be sure we have the expertise to handle every detail of your event, from site coordination, to rentals, to securing a pleasant service staff. Contact us to learn more.
- Private Party Facilities: Opportunities for private events abound at McCaw hall. Whether planning a large party in the dining room or looking for a private space, our team is experienced and ready to handle the details for you.
A word from Prelude at McCaw Hall
Welcome to Prelude - on the Promenade Level of Marion Oliver McCaw Hall at Seattle Center. Sophistication, artistry and signature dishes designed by Executive Chef Shawn Applin await your visit. Prelude features the freshest local produce, artisanal products, a large selection of Northwest wines by the glass and half bottle, and Shawn's sublime take on cuisine executed by the SAVOR culinary team. Our seasonal menus provide the perfect prelude to a Pacific Northwest Ballet or Seattle Opera performance - or offer an exceptional dining experience on their own. Dinner reservations are encouraged prior to show time. Prelude also offers Brunch before Sunday shows and Intermission Reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Prelude at McCaw Hall - Best Restaurants in Seattle Center / Lower Queen Anne ›
Prelude at McCaw Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (10)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good+ Food, Great TempoTomSawyerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Due to bad weather and horrid traffic, we arrived a few minutes late. After a delay in seating us, we were worried that we wouldn't have time to eat before the opera. But the staff and kitchen took care of us. The food (especially the pan cooked Chicken) was delicious and we didn't have to rush.Special Features:
- convenient, good food, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014What all of us opera-goers pay for the convenience of a good meal right at the opera house!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Nice place before the opera. Food is good but a little overpriced.
- Menu always changingmissdibabyDined on 10/25/2014We have eaten at Prelude many times because it is convenient to eat there before the opera and the menu is different every time. The food is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please rethink the lambOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I chose to eat at Prelude before attending the opera due to its convenient location. Making our reservation was easy. The staff was courteous. Our waiter was excellent. However, the food was lackluster. I ordered the grilled salmon and while the salmon itself was quite tasty, the sauce on the potatoes was not. My husband ordered the lamb moussaka, which turned out to be more eggplant than lamb. He couldn't finish it. All in all, the meal was not worth what we paid. We will be dining elsewhere next time.Special Features:
- Good food and convenientJoannaDined on 10/25/2014If you are going to the opera, this is a great place to have dinner because of the convenience. The food was good, though I have had better, but there was certainly nothing wrong with it. The service however was superb. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-performanceFussyDined on 10/25/2014The presentation of the food was lovely and the food delicious. Each of the three of us had different menus and each was very pleased with choices.Service was attentive. Enjoyed our preferred seats for which they remembered our earlier request. Noise still bothersome. Perfect for avoiding traffic and relaxing before performanceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic but with one sad flawGurumeTMDined on 10/25/2014We dined at Prelude before a Seattle Opera performance. The servers were very professional and the food was worth every penny. Tables were placed at suitable intervals. All other diners looked very happy. All this however, were made less enjoyable because of one of the hostesses. I'm told I am picky about these details so most likely many diners won't feel the same way, but how you are welcomed by the hostess means a great deal to me, and her manner of throwing sarcastic jokes around and scolding other hostesses in front of the customers made me feel extremely uncomfortable. She then seated us in a rush and without care. Our server afterwards saved the day, but I would hesitate recommending this marvelous restaurant for this reason.Special Features:
- Terrible servicemargoDined on 10/22/2014We arrived five minutes early for our 6:30 reservation. We were told to wait. Other groups came in and were seated before us. One group came in with a 6:30 reservation and since it was 6:30 they were seated, but we were still waiting. The opera started at 7:30. At 7:15 we still had not been served our second course although I had requested both the appetizer and soup to be served at the same time. We had to ask for water. At 7:25 I went up to the cashier and asked for our check. We had to wait. The service was terrible.Special Features:
- Remember to BookJudithDined on 10/19/2014We had a delicious pre-lunch meal - salmon burger and steak and eggs. Delicious food and promptly served. However, the protocol for getting into the restaurant could really be improved. There were three agents at the entrance, all together, handling a line and as each couple came forward, they would say "We are full". Few people had reservations (we did), but they had to wait in the same line to be seated. A simple sign saying "Reservations only" and/or two lines would have speeded up the process and made customers feel more welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJJDDined on 10/19/2014Have eaten here several times. Have always enjoyed a meal prior to the ballet or the opera. This last experience was a bit difficult as the waiter seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by the number of tables he was expected to cover. Thus, the service was slow and not in keeping with getting guests on to the performance. The entree was not hot. This may have resulted from not being retrieved in a timely manner.Special Features:
- theoldsaltDined on 10/19/2014Our experience has always been good. A table was ready for my wife who was in a wheelchair, waiters attentive to our needs, reasonable priced and food good.Special Features:
- Great food, fair service.SuziDined on 10/19/2014The waitress was able to get us the steak and eggs we wanted, even though originally we were told it wasn't available. The meal was delicious, although overpriced for the portion size. We split the antipasto first and had dessert at intermission. My friend had to ask twice for more bread and also for more honey for her tea, so she wasn't happy about that. We did enjoy our meals, and it is handy to have dessert waiting when we come down during intermission.Special Features:
- opera with WyattdecrepitDined on 10/19/2014We had the salmon burgers...perfect. And then elected to delay our dessert until intermission. At that time our hot nectarine crisp a la mode was waiting for us at our table. Very pleasant. Anthony was our waiter and he was very good. Bravo AnthonySpecial Features:
- "Experience" diningzephyrlunaDined on 10/18/2014Kind of like eating at tourist attractions, the price tag did not match the dining, but do it once, so you can say you've done it. Two diners, one glass of wine (no spirits, sorry) each, no appetizers or desserts, over $100 before tip. The food was good, and the wine pairing was good, but not $100 good. For that price, I want to swoon. Service was rushed and crowded, rather than the relaxed date that I was hoping for pre-opera, but nothing malfunctioned in getting our seats. It just took a while to get our wine. I won't go back, but I will include it in the list of options when others ask for places to dine near Mccaw Hall.Special Features:
- OperaOnthewayDined on 10/18/2014This is convenient ..that is ALL.. For the price not worth going there,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Prelude thinks it is a top of line restaurant--at least from the way it prices its food. However, it is never consistent. You can have an excellent meal one time, and a very bad one another time. On this last visit, the chicken portion was very small for $26. The halibut was dry and tasted a bit like "sawdust." I had a peach/arugula salad at La Fontana a while ago that blew the socks off the I had at Prelude. The service is usually not bad but this time it was awful. I think they were training new waiters and spent more time showing them the ropes than serving customers. I would not go to this restaurant if it wasn't because of the ballet. You never know what you're going to get, but one thing for sure is high prices.
- KIMIDined on 10/3/2014Our meal was flawless and they have a good wine list. Our waiter was sweet and helped us find the right wine to purchase. I always enjoy myself at Prelude before the Ballet!Special Features:
- Special place events McCaw HallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I have eaten here twice and enjoyed both times. Amazing food. Great wait staff. They split plates generously. It is nice you can order dessert for intermission. This last time we had the halibut with fig and potatoes. Everything was excellent. The only thing that would keep me from dining here every time I am at McCaw is the steep pricing. We had 1 salad, 1 entrée, and 2 glasses of wine split between 2 people. The bill with tip was just under $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the balletOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014This is a good restaurant and very convenient before the ballet. So nice to eat good food and then just walk up to our ballet seats. Very amenable to adding chantrelle mushrooms to my halibut dinner! Good food and the service people are very conscious of the time requirement to be in your seats on time.Special Features:
- cusoondinerDined on 9/27/2014chicken was great. lamb dish was sent back. too salty and mushy texture....Special Features:
- Before the balletCorrineDined on 9/27/2014This is a must for convenience if you are trying to make it to the lecture prior to the ballet. They get the timing and move you in and out without making you feel rushed. A little pricey, however.
- Improved atmospheremabartDined on 9/27/2014In the past the only reason to eat at Prelude was its convenient location. This season they've improved. The only glitch was that the desk couldn't find our reservation, but they finally seated four of us for lunch. The banquets provide a nice sense of privacy. Our server was attentive and not intrusive, timely, and enhanced our experience with a suggestion for a new drink. We all had quiche, which was good, and salad, which had a distinctive and flavorful dressing. This lunch was a nice beginning to a great afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our Foodfloyd2Dined on 9/19/2014The service was super! The food great, the wine super. The only two items we did not care for--- hard drinks = $20.00 each -- purchase upstairs, they ran out of fish.Special Features:
- Prelude to APFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I read the reviews and was not impressed by the recent ratings. We booked it anyway the same day in the morning and arrived 15 minutes early We were promptly seating. The service was outstanding and the food was very good! The wife was very impressed and was surprised when I told her of the lower ratings. We found the Prelude to be a great, relaxing way to sit & eat prior to the show after a very long and hectic drive up from Oly on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but too rushedPeasandwine2meDined on 9/19/2014I felt as if my dinner had been hijacked by the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland! Romance and comfort of a 6:15 dinner prior to an 8 p.m. concert went down the rabbit hole as the lack of class and training in wait staff over-shadows the beauty and taste of the food. I was given my soup with no spoon. Spoon arrived with entree. Waitress set entree on next table where it got cold instead of returning with it warm. My $10 glass of wine didn't arrive, I asked twice, and it came when my entree plate was nearly empty. Desert came before entree was finished and cleared. Rolls arrived cold and very late. I had read earlier reviews from a previous night that mentioned service was too slow...well, they over compensated to the point of silly.
- nice place great foodtwjenksDined on 9/19/2014that was our first time there the food was great and our waiter was one of the best we have ever had we had a really great experience thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I hope they were just having an off night. We arrived two hours before performance time and the restaurant was not even half full. Still, we were seated in an awkward back corner where it was difficult for them to serve us. There are only 3 entrees on the menu--chicken, fish, and a vegetarian dish. Two of us ordered the halibut; two ordered chicken. It turned out they were already out of the halibut! Maybe a delivery snafu or some such or else how could they run out of it so early? We all ordered the chicken and it was so salty it was practically inedible. They should have been ashamed to serve it. The appetizer consomme was ridiculous and flavorless. Salad was good. They do have a very fairly priced wine menu with excellent choices.
- cafeteria foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Chicken was so bland, boiled in salt, halibut overcooked, sides nonexistent, cafeteria fare, avoid it
- Late late lateMarlynnieDined on 9/12/2014Arrived at 6:30 for our 6:45 reservation. Promptly seated but then waited 15 min before we got our water and drinks. Then another 15 min before ordering. We didn't get bread and halibut was gone. I know you were busy but running out of food and you still had later reservations to feed. There was no time nor was i asked if i wanted another glass os wine. We didn't get the halibut and had to race through our food and ask bus person to bring our bill in order to try and get to concert on time.Special Features:
- The worst experience ever.NineanddineDined on 9/12/2014We arrived on time for our reservation at 6:45pm for dinner before the concert that started at 8:00pm. I should have been enough time to have a nice and relaxing dinner. 50 min later without been served even a bread we asked our server where was the food and get the answer that kitchen was backed up. The personal was running all over the place completely stressed out. Obviously restaurant was trying to get in more people than they could served. One hour later our server announced that they are out of the dishes we ordered. We got some bread and water and left. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Good Concept-Poor ExecutionBarbDined on 9/12/2014We booked reservations at Prelude prior to our concert. What a great concept-you eat, then walk upstairs and attend the concert. No fuss or muss. Or is there? Our reservations were for 6:30, with an 8:00 concert. It was a three course meal, with three choices in each category. The place was packed. It took a while for our server to get to our table, however, she wasn't the problem. We ended up only receiving our first course before the concert began. We were told that they would have our entrees on our table at the intermission, and we could finish then. We sat at our table--no food. By this time it is 9:10. Pretty late to eat our meal. They comped our dinner and a glass of wine, but still...Our friends paid in advance....
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Four of us attended concert and made reservations at 6:15 for dinner. The concert was not starting until 8:00pm. After being seated on time, we had a bottle of wine and gave our waitress our order. We received the first course after waiting 2o minutes and did not get our main course until 7:30. We never saw our waitress again until 8:00pm when she came to our table and said she was sorry we didnt get our dessert, but could back at intermission if we wanted. We will never eat here again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We had a 6:15 res, We were going to the Ian Anderson show at 8. We arrived a few moments late for our res and there was a line of 15 at the hostess desk. We were seated without a wait. The table next to us mentioned the service was slow and they had not seen a server. Our orders were taken by the Manager and we actually never spoke with our server. We asked the manager to take care of the table next to us since they were seated 25 minutes before us. While we were waiting for our food, our server( i think) told us our entree choice they were out of and could we please pick another. By this time 25 minutes had passed since our order was placed. In short we had to eat fast when it arrived and the table next to us never got there dessert.
- AbysmalPastaloverVIPDined on 9/12/2014Without question the worst service I ever experienced. They ran out of halibut within 30 minutes of opening. They ran out of rolls within an hour. Different waiters appeared at our table. There was no continuity. Other diners waited an hour just to get water. The manager should be fired. If you decide to eat here, I wish you luck. Bring crackers, just in case.
- DisappointingfoodfiendDined on 8/23/2014Very disappointing. We arrived at the restaurant approximately 20 minutes before our 6:30 reservation only to be told that "the restaurant is never open for this type of event". Needless to say, we were stunned. We had to seek an alternate restaurant nearby. I cannot understand how a screw up of this type could occur in our "wired" age. Doesn't Prelude at McCaw Hall review the reservations received from OpenTable? Obviously not. Don't they feel that updating OT on their days/hours operation is important? Ditto. Do they even care? This reflects badly, not only on Prelude, but also on McCaw hall. OT suffers as well.
- DISGUSTED AND ANGRYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014YOU PEOPLE SUCK AT YOUR JOB. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISSAPOINTED IN A CYBER EXPERIENCE. I WILL NEVER USE YOU AGAIN AND WILL MAKE SURE NO ONE IN MY CIRCLE OF PEOPLE USE YOU EITHER. SHAME ON YOU AND WHAT YOU DO, SHAME ON YOU. I have physical challenges and knew McCaw Hall was equipped to allow me access and above all I have loved the Beatles forever. Bought tickets for this performance months before. I booked dinner at the restaurant for the night in question, plenty of time for the evening. Arrived 15 minutes before the 6 PM reservation only to find...the restaurant was closed. CLOSED. Really? I was told by one of the patrons that this is not the first time you have booked reservations and the place has been closed.Special Features:
- The following 1509 reviews are from the Prelude at McCaw Hall reviews archive.
- Could not rate, not open for reservOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014I can't rate Prelude as they were not open on the evening of the reservation. There were a number of parties that had made reservations through OpenTable as well, so we all sufferred the same fate. I guess the lesson learned here is to confirm that Prelude will actually be open for any given event at McCaw Hall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valuevandy43Dined on 6/9/2014Prelude is a great value, a 3 course dinner for $35. The selections and the food were excellent. Very convenient when attending an event at McCaw Hall. Much better than eating elsewhere then driving over and parking.Special Features:
- Great Pre-performance dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2014Great décor, friendly service, good food and so convenient if you are attending an event at McCaw Hall.I would recommend this to a friend.