Prelude at McCaw Hall
321 Mercer Street
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
Seattle Center / Lower Queen Anne
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Prelude at McCaw Hall
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.savorsmgmccawhall.com/
- Phone: 2066150404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm For Event Days Only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Applin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering by SAVOR... is not limited to McCaw Hall. We apply our extensive experience in both large and small-scale events at most any location in the Seattle Area. For over 20 years, our culinary team and experienced sales staff have created custom menus and unique special events to successfully support world-class events for small groups or thousands of people. You can be sure we have the expertise to handle every detail of your event, from site coordination, to rentals, to securing a pleasant service staff. Contact us to learn more.
- Private Party Facilities: Opportunities for private events abound at McCaw hall. Whether planning a large party in the dining room or looking for a private space, our team is experienced and ready to handle the details for you.
A word from Prelude at McCaw Hall
Welcome to Prelude - on the Promenade Level of Marion Oliver McCaw Hall at Seattle Center. Sophistication, artistry and signature dishes designed by Executive Chef Shawn Applin await your visit. Prelude features the freshest local produce, artisanal products, a large selection of Northwest wines by the glass and half bottle, and Shawn's sublime take on cuisine executed by the SAVOR culinary team. Our seasonal menus provide the perfect prelude to a Pacific Northwest Ballet or Seattle Opera performance - or offer an exceptional dining experience on their own. Dinner reservations are encouraged prior to show time. Prelude also offers Brunch before Sunday shows and Intermission Reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prelude at McCaw Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014chicken was great. lamb dish was sent back. too salty and mushy texture....Special Features:
- Before the balletCorrineDined on 9/27/2014This is a must for convenience if you are trying to make it to the lecture prior to the ballet. They get the timing and move you in and out without making you feel rushed. A little pricey, however.
- Improved atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014In the past the only reason to eat at Prelude was its convenient location. This season they've improved. The only glitch was that the desk couldn't find our reservation, but they finally seated four of us for lunch. The banquets provide a nice sense of privacy. Our server was attentive and not intrusive, timely, and enhanced our experience with a suggestion for a new drink. We all had quiche, which was good, and salad, which had a distinctive and flavorful dressing. This lunch was a nice beginning to a great afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our Foodfloyd2Dined on 9/19/2014The service was super! The food great, the wine super. The only two items we did not care for--- hard drinks = $20.00 each -- purchase upstairs, they ran out of fish.Special Features:
- Prelude to APFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I read the reviews and was not impressed by the recent ratings. We booked it anyway the same day in the morning and arrived 15 minutes early We were promptly seating. The service was outstanding and the food was very good! The wife was very impressed and was surprised when I told her of the lower ratings. We found the Prelude to be a great, relaxing way to sit & eat prior to the show after a very long and hectic drive up from Oly on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but too rushedPeasandwine2meDined on 9/19/2014I felt as if my dinner had been hijacked by the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland! Romance and comfort of a 6:15 dinner prior to an 8 p.m. concert went down the rabbit hole as the lack of class and training in wait staff over-shadows the beauty and taste of the food. I was given my soup with no spoon. Spoon arrived with entree. Waitress set entree on next table where it got cold instead of returning with it warm. My $10 glass of wine didn't arrive, I asked twice, and it came when my entree plate was nearly empty. Desert came before entree was finished and cleared. Rolls arrived cold and very late. I had read earlier reviews from a previous night that mentioned service was too slow...well, they over compensated to the point of silly.
- nice place great foodtwjenksDined on 9/19/2014that was our first time there the food was great and our waiter was one of the best we have ever had we had a really great experience thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I hope they were just having an off night. We arrived two hours before performance time and the restaurant was not even half full. Still, we were seated in an awkward back corner where it was difficult for them to serve us. There are only 3 entrees on the menu--chicken, fish, and a vegetarian dish. Two of us ordered the halibut; two ordered chicken. It turned out they were already out of the halibut! Maybe a delivery snafu or some such or else how could they run out of it so early? We all ordered the chicken and it was so salty it was practically inedible. They should have been ashamed to serve it. The appetizer consomme was ridiculous and flavorless. Salad was good. They do have a very fairly priced wine menu with excellent choices.
- cafeteria foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Chicken was so bland, boiled in salt, halibut overcooked, sides nonexistent, cafeteria fare, avoid it
- Late late lateMarlynnieDined on 9/12/2014Arrived at 6:30 for our 6:45 reservation. Promptly seated but then waited 15 min before we got our water and drinks. Then another 15 min before ordering. We didn't get bread and halibut was gone. I know you were busy but running out of food and you still had later reservations to feed. There was no time nor was i asked if i wanted another glass os wine. We didn't get the halibut and had to race through our food and ask bus person to bring our bill in order to try and get to concert on time.Special Features:
- The worst experience ever.NineanddineDined on 9/12/2014We arrived on time for our reservation at 6:45pm for dinner before the concert that started at 8:00pm. I should have been enough time to have a nice and relaxing dinner. 50 min later without been served even a bread we asked our server where was the food and get the answer that kitchen was backed up. The personal was running all over the place completely stressed out. Obviously restaurant was trying to get in more people than they could served. One hour later our server announced that they are out of the dishes we ordered. We got some bread and water and left. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Good Concept-Poor ExecutionBarbDined on 9/12/2014We booked reservations at Prelude prior to our concert. What a great concept-you eat, then walk upstairs and attend the concert. No fuss or muss. Or is there? Our reservations were for 6:30, with an 8:00 concert. It was a three course meal, with three choices in each category. The place was packed. It took a while for our server to get to our table, however, she wasn't the problem. We ended up only receiving our first course before the concert began. We were told that they would have our entrees on our table at the intermission, and we could finish then. We sat at our table--no food. By this time it is 9:10. Pretty late to eat our meal. They comped our dinner and a glass of wine, but still...Our friends paid in advance....
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Four of us attended concert and made reservations at 6:15 for dinner. The concert was not starting until 8:00pm. After being seated on time, we had a bottle of wine and gave our waitress our order. We received the first course after waiting 2o minutes and did not get our main course until 7:30. We never saw our waitress again until 8:00pm when she came to our table and said she was sorry we didnt get our dessert, but could back at intermission if we wanted. We will never eat here again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We had a 6:15 res, We were going to the Ian Anderson show at 8. We arrived a few moments late for our res and there was a line of 15 at the hostess desk. We were seated without a wait. The table next to us mentioned the service was slow and they had not seen a server. Our orders were taken by the Manager and we actually never spoke with our server. We asked the manager to take care of the table next to us since they were seated 25 minutes before us. While we were waiting for our food, our server( i think) told us our entree choice they were out of and could we please pick another. By this time 25 minutes had passed since our order was placed. In short we had to eat fast when it arrived and the table next to us never got there dessert.
- AbysmalPastaloverVIPDined on 9/12/2014Without question the worst service I ever experienced. They ran out of halibut within 30 minutes of opening. They ran out of rolls within an hour. Different waiters appeared at our table. There was no continuity. Other diners waited an hour just to get water. The manager should be fired. If you decide to eat here, I wish you luck. Bring crackers, just in case.
- DisappointingfoodfiendDined on 8/23/2014Very disappointing. We arrived at the restaurant approximately 20 minutes before our 6:30 reservation only to be told that "the restaurant is never open for this type of event". Needless to say, we were stunned. We had to seek an alternate restaurant nearby. I cannot understand how a screw up of this type could occur in our "wired" age. Doesn't Prelude at McCaw Hall review the reservations received from OpenTable? Obviously not. Don't they feel that updating OT on their days/hours operation is important? Ditto. Do they even care? This reflects badly, not only on Prelude, but also on McCaw hall. OT suffers as well.
- DISGUSTED AND ANGRYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014YOU PEOPLE SUCK AT YOUR JOB. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISSAPOINTED IN A CYBER EXPERIENCE. I WILL NEVER USE YOU AGAIN AND WILL MAKE SURE NO ONE IN MY CIRCLE OF PEOPLE USE YOU EITHER. SHAME ON YOU AND WHAT YOU DO, SHAME ON YOU. I have physical challenges and knew McCaw Hall was equipped to allow me access and above all I have loved the Beatles forever. Bought tickets for this performance months before. I booked dinner at the restaurant for the night in question, plenty of time for the evening. Arrived 15 minutes before the 6 PM reservation only to find...the restaurant was closed. CLOSED. Really? I was told by one of the patrons that this is not the first time you have booked reservations and the place has been closed.Special Features:
- Could not rate, not open for reservOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014I can't rate Prelude as they were not open on the evening of the reservation. There were a number of parties that had made reservations through OpenTable as well, so we all sufferred the same fate. I guess the lesson learned here is to confirm that Prelude will actually be open for any given event at McCaw Hall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valuevandy43Dined on 6/9/2014Prelude is a great value, a 3 course dinner for $35. The selections and the food were excellent. Very convenient when attending an event at McCaw Hall. Much better than eating elsewhere then driving over and parking.Special Features:
- Great Pre-performance dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2014Great décor, friendly service, good food and so convenient if you are attending an event at McCaw Hall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConvenientBarbzellaDined on 6/8/2014Both of our meals we just fair, if not poor. The quiche was rubbery and the steak eggs Benedict cold and whites not cooked through. The only reason we will return to this cafe is for the convenience to the venue. I would order a salad next time as they appear to be fresh. We had a quiet table which was nice for conversation.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Food was great and our server was awesome. Very enjoyable. Will now be the standard approach to events.Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014I decided to book a reservation for my daughter and I before the ballet because it looked like a fun place to eat but was not overly wowed by the food. We had a fine salad and good soup but dinner cost over $50 for two small salads and two bowls of soup and only one apple juice to drink. In my opinion this is not worth the money spent.
- Tough for kidsILUVSEAVIPDined on 6/7/2014It would be great if they had a kids menu for more performances (Giselle had many kids in attendance). My girls were hungry and Prelude missed out on revenue. I asked if they could have a side of scrambled eggs (were there for brunch before matinee) and was told they wouldn't accommodate since the kitchen was in the basement. Frustrating.
- gourmet food on the runOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014I love prelude. the food is excellent and the prices are very low for the high level of quality and preparation. I arrived at 6:30 and still had plenty of time to make the ballet at 7:30. My friend was late and the wait person was there to take her order as soon as she arrived. they salad of arugula endive, Soriano ham was amazing. fava bean crostini and the cheese plate was unusually good and a good value. I have been before and had an entre and it was excellent too. I will think of the restaurant more when I am in the area. I would go there more but difficult and expensive to park if not going to an event at the center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining at PreludeDRH2Dined on 6/6/2014Excellent service, excellent food. We love eating at the Prelude before a ballet!Special Features:
- Convenient, but disappointing...ElectraDined on 6/5/2014We hadn't been to Prelude for several years, but noticing some new seating improvements decided to give it another try. Unfortunately, not much had changed. My dinner was delicious, however I felt it was overpriced. The seating improvements weren't really improvements, just changes. Diners are still squeezed in too close together, staring at each other, making intimate dinner conversations impossible. Service is spotty. Our main server was nice, but too busy to be very attentive. One of the serving assistants (a tall, thin middle-aged women) acted a bit creepy and probably should'nt be working there. I understand MacCaw Hall is an difficult venue in which to serve food, however the food was fine! The overall experience disappoints.
- Pre Ballet DiningNuclagirlDined on 6/5/2014Prelude at McCaw Hall is an excellent venue for dinner prior to the ballet. My guests and I choose Prelude regularly for their interesting food choices, service and ease of location.Special Features:
- The following 1498 reviews are from the Prelude at McCaw Hall reviews archive.
- Perfect Gem Pre-BalletlawyergirlDined on 5/31/2014This was magnificent! From our service to our food to the convenience of the location to attend the ballet, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this entire experience. The ballet was wonderful, but starting the night off with this dinner experience made the night magical!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love going here before the ballet.EpicureanDelightsDined on 5/31/2014My sister and I go here regularly before the PNB performances. We are able to park once, have dinner, make the pre-ballet lecture and then go on to the performance. We order dessert to be served at the intermission. It is then waiting for us. The food is very good and the limited menu varies from week to week. It works very well for us.
- Before the balletCorrineDined on 5/31/2014Perfect timing if they know you are trying to attend the pure-performance lecture. Spot on.
- Dinner before BalletflexableDined on 5/30/2014great place to enjoy a nice dinner before the ballet and even have dessert waiting at same table at intermission--lovely experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Concert DelightMessingerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Fantastic way to have a pre-concert dinner and avoid the parking crunch time and hassle of getting to the performance after a dinner elsewhere. The food is well prepared, attractively served and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it.BobbyDined on 5/30/2014We were given a table between 2 others w/about 18" on each side of us. So we could hear what others were saying, but it was so loud we couldn't talk to each other. Wait person not helpful. Food disappointing. Never coming back and would not recommend it to anyone. The only good thing we can say about it is that is convenient if you are going to an event at McCaw Hall.
- Elegant experienceSuziDined on 5/17/2014I ate dinner with a friend before the opera. The food was delicious. Portions were small and overpriced, but one expects that in such a venue. We both enjoyed our meals. We ordered dessert to be ready at the first intermission, and it was waiting for us on our table when we arrived. Due to the price, I won't be eating here often, but it was fun for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stress free pre-opera mealBg27Dined on 5/17/2014Delicious food and a nice view into the courtyard. Best of all you can relax and be on time for the opera. They'll even arrange to have dessert waiting for you at intermission. Not cheap but the convenience is worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerbuddycatsDined on 5/17/2014First time for dinner as usually do brunch on Sundays. Food fair, ambiance good and service exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty food, blah serviceJohnAKADined on 5/17/2014The meals I have had here have been excellent. The management knows it has a captive audience, and does little to enhance the diners enjoyment beyond the basics. Tables are crammed into booths so that a diner's butt invariably knocks over a neighboring table's bread basket, or a gut protrudes unappetizingly over your table. No matter how empty, the hostess will always seat you next to another seated table. This is for the convenience of the wait staff, your own privacy be damned. You feel put upon and invasive of the neighboring table. And at these prices, every consideration should be paid to the customer. The service generally is friendly and fairly competent, yet not nearly what you would expect at a similarly priced restaurant.
- Perfect for OPera nightfudizgudDined on 5/16/2014This place is exactly what is needed on Opera night, right there at McCaw Hall and totally geared for providing good food knowing that you need to head out for the performanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How not to honor reservationsRickVIPDined on 5/14/2014We had a reservation at 630 at which time we showed up and had to wait until 7 pm to be seated. They really screwed up as there were many other folks with reservations waiting. I have been to Prelude many times without encountering this problem.