Prairie Grass Café
601 Skokie Blvd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Prairie Grass Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prairiegrasscafe.com/
- Phone: 8472054433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday : 5:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sarah Stegner, George Bumbaris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Prairie Grass Cafe can accommodate semi-private parties of up to 14 guests & private parties of up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rohit Nambiar 8472054433
A word from Prairie Grass Café
Chef Sarah Stegner joins husband Rohit Nambiar & fellow chef George Bumbaris in creating this casual Northbrook restaurant, boasting a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere. Wood-top tables without tablecloths give the main dining room a contemporary feel while seating is also available in the bar area. A menu, changing monthly, features contemporary American fare featuring seasonal ingredients. For dessert, Chef Stegner's mother bakes delicious pies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Prairie Grass Café reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (40)special occasion (35)great for brunch (30)good for groups (30)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Lovely lunch visit with a colleague. The quality of the food and service is always very enjoyable. At times I find the voices and other noises of the restaurant make it a bit of a challenge to hear the others at my table, however that never interferes in the enjoyment of the visit there.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/25/2014One of my favorites in the area. An easy place to share a meal with friends and colleagues. Always a quality experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy thisfriendVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoy this restaurant. They have good vegetarian selections, which is a rare find.Special Features:
- Great fooddenisedivDined on 8/22/2014Really enjoyed the meal;however there was no ambiance. I was surprised with the interior of the restaurant. My husband and I have been trying to go here for awhile. We were excited to be able to get a reservation. The service was fine, not great. The food was good, but it would have been worth the wait had the ambiance been better. Though the food was good, I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- always great foodTomKDined on 8/20/2014It seems like the clientele is getting a little creepy. Lots of walkers, oxygen and wheelchairs. Attendants hovering around tables. Seemed like a nursing home went out for dinner.Special Features:
- Still great in NorthbrookDougRDined on 8/19/2014Excellent ingredients and a light touch in the kitchen. A great combinationSpecial Features:
- disappointmentReviewer34567VIPDined on 8/19/2014I hope this was just an off night because this is my go-to restaurant at least once a month. It took over a half hour to get a waiter to take our order (and only after I complained to the manager), over one hour to get our salads (described as kale and arugula but none of our salads included kale). To get the salads I again had to complain to the manager who replied "well, you only gave your order 20 minutes ago." 3 free desserts were plunked down on our table, and we weren't charged for our salads, but no apologies were given and I felt like somehow i was to blame.
- Excellent DinnerJudyhDined on 8/19/2014Seasonal fresh vegetables and fruits starred in this lovely dinner with friends. Thank you for the delicious selections to meet a variety of diners needs. My husband and I are vegetarians. Our friends enjoyed the regular selection with seasonal favorites. And the PIE A La Mode was Awesome!Special Features:
- Great LunchAllenKDined on 8/15/2014Went to lunch in Northbrook with some clients and the food, service and atmosphere was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Food FavoriteMarceVIPDined on 8/14/2014Prairie Grass consistently offers delicious seasonal options. The quality of the food is outstanding and the kitchen is willing to accommodate food allergies and sensitivities.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Consistantly enjoyable and of quality. Everyone I introduce to Prairie Grass wants to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyBosnianVIPDined on 8/9/2014Prairie Grass Cafe seems to always do a good job, even if it doesn't wow you. Food and service are reliable, without being memorable. The room is basic and somewhat loud when crowded -- which it usually is. You will always find something to like when others in your party want to go there, but you will probably look elsewhere for something special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Way too noisy. Made the evening unpleasant .Could not wait to get out of there.
- What took us so long?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We live in Lincoln Park and rarely venture to suburbia to eat. Luck found us in Northbrook and led us to Prairie Grass Café. Suffice it to say, we were blown away by the quality of the food and the unpretentiousness of the service. The wine list seems to be of the "almost three-times retail" type, but "reasonable" values are there. The food shines and will have us returning, bringing friends with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodtenanDined on 8/1/2014We always enjoy Prairie Grass. Our reservation was honored in a timely fashion. The food and service are consistently good. The wines are very well paired with the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentMicheleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Prairie Grass never fails to provide a wonderful dining experience. I had the sockeye salmon with creamed corn and roasted vegetables, with a caesar salad as my side. Truly excellent. I have also had the ahi tuna, so fabulous I have even returned for carry out. You can never go wrong here, and Jose provided excellent service. Making sure I had what was needed, but never intrusive!Special Features:
- DocSVIPDined on 7/31/2014Wonderful food and service...would like to go back very soon!Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 7/31/2014Quality service, quality food every time. A great place to meet friends and business connections for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner partyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We dined here after visiting the Chicago Botanic Gardens with 2 other couples. It was a great ending to a perfect day. Everyone in the group enjoyed what they ordered especially the guys. They has the fish and chips with a side of apple slaw and said it was delicious. The Toffee cake for dessert was fabulous. My husband and I agreed that we would would return if the opportunity arises.Special Features:
- not as goodroniVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were not too thrilled with our dining experience. Not as good as it use to be. What a shame!
- 1st time at Prairie Grasspeng60Dined on 7/23/2014The food was good and served promptly. The noise level was over the top. It was very distracting and hard to converse without speaking loudly. If I was to recommend this restaurant I would bring up about the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodGuillermoVIPDined on 7/19/2014We visit Prairie Grass several times a year because the food and service is consistently good. Among the four of us, we sampled the Lake Superior White Fish, a skirt steak and a hamburger. All were prepared well and to our taste. The service was attentive but leisurely allowing old friends to catch up. The back room is quieter than the main room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for casual special occasionsChefjack817Dined on 7/19/2014This restaurant have a very vibrant and energetic scene that caters to all age groups across the board. It is a great place to find comfort food from a wide price range. There is something for everybody. They also have a wide variety of wine and liquor on their menu. The restaurant have a very casual atmosphere that it is suitable to celebrate any occasion.Special Features:
- Great find and reasonableFoodie2Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is great if you do not feel like cooking and want a home quality meal with reasonable price. Though some menu items were on the high end, it is still a good deal. There was a slight snafu when placing our group reservation of 12 through Open Table. I really think management should look into a group of 12 or more to be able make a reservation through Open Table. There were tables available for two groups of 6 which necessitated us to make two reservations under two different open table accounts instead of one. When we attempted to make a reservation, a table for 12 was only available 8 weeks out. It did not make sense; but an Open Table customer service was very helpful to iron it out.Special Features:
- CharlieCharlieDined on 7/15/2014The menu is wonderful, the food is marvelous..we love eating there. It has a noise factor which is the only downside, it is really a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014What a blast! Great food, great service, and the best dessert ever (if you haven't had the Sticky Toffee-Date Cake, get your you know what together! Thanks for helping to make my wife's birthday extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good ExperienceAlvin1Dined on 7/9/2014Usually our dining experiences at Prairie Grass run from very good to excellent. This evening not quite up to par! Evening started off fine with our reservation being honored and seated on time. Waiter began the evening being attentive bringing menus, water, utensils, napkins, bread, etc. promptly. Took our drink order and brought the drinks out promptly. Within a reasonable period of time he took our order. All 6 members of our party ordered the hamburgers. They were served within a reasonable period of time; eye appealing and at the proper temperature. A slight problem with not serving the grilled onions arose but the waiter took care of that oversight. One of the glasses was severely cracked & that situation not handled well.Special Features:
- Hard to hear one anotherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Everything was delicious, but the table was in the middle of the noisy, noisy room and it dampened the enjoyment of the evening
- Hard to beatleepontonDined on 7/3/2014Prairie Grass is unique in that it appeals to virtually every diner. The food is perfectly prepared. The menu can please both vegans and carnivores. Most everything is "the best you have ever had", as my crispy duck was the best I've ever eaten and my Amish blue cheese salad was the best salad I can remember. The bar builds a righteous Dark and Stormy. The wine list is filled with good values. And all this from a place that is genuinely kid friendly. There is no other place like Prairie Grass Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliableWilmetteBoxerDined on 7/3/2014We never go wrong for lunch or dinner here. The regular menu is full of attractive offerings and there are always a couple of specials to perk it up. We long for old favorites, corn fritters especially. We often order the pate with apples and prunes and have even ordered it to take home for our guests. Some soups are sensation. For very good day-in day-out lunch fare, a great place, a nice mix of families and business people. The service is invariably quick and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat & RunDeeDeeDined on 7/1/2014The menu had a wide range of choices and we were both pleased with our choices. The service was excellent, but the noise level at mide-day made conversation for this "older" couple impossible.
- ArnieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Everything was very good; except the noise level....really hard to have a good conversation with friends unless you are sitting in the back area and hope you are not near a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinkyVIPDined on 6/25/2014We always enjoy dinning here as the food is very delicious. The wait staff is very efficent and pleasant. Definitely will return in the near Future...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeGary460VIPDined on 6/24/2014Healthy well made fare with organic themes - substantial and delicious seasonal items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch with familySaraVIPDined on 6/22/2014Open, nice decor, feeling of connection to outside and nature adds to the comfortable environs of the restaurant. Had brunch with son, his wife and family and it is a great place for that. Nice variety of quality food, unique choices and all well prepared. Love their ancho sausage.Special Features:
- Frequent DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Prairie Grass has become a favorite restaurant for my family and friends. The menu is varied and always delicious, and the service is impeccable. We've been there for brunch, lunch, and dinner and been disappointed.Special Features:
- Unusually Bad experienceMrshb659VIPDined on 6/17/2014Ordered fllat bread special which came with a hair on it! Filet ordered Medium came very rare, remade a new one and it came rare second time and the third one was the second filet cooked medium well. Manager came over after second was delivered only to tell us that it looked fine in the kitchen and could be the lighting? Overcooked it back in the kitchen for the third delivery. Biggest surprise was the attitude of the Manager. Didn't seem to really care if we were satisfied and when the bill came - took off the price of the 2 deserts but left the price of the filet and flatbread on it. When we questioned the waitress about this she went back to him and he took the price of the filet off. We watched him roll his eyes in disgust!Special Features:
- LOUD LOUD AND LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2014THE DINING WAS LOUD. OUR SERVICE WAS A WAITER THAT COULD NOT WAIT TO RUSH AND GET THE ORDER AND RECOMMENDED THE GREEK SALAD, WHICH WAS A LITTLE SALAD WITH A HUGE HUNK OF FETA BAKED CHEESE. WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SALAD THIS IS NOT THE ONE TO RECOMMEND. NOT CHEAP FOR WHAT WAS PRESENTED. $50 WITH NO DRINK!! ONLY WATER. SORRY.Special Features:
- janlawVIPDined on 6/12/2014We were there during the week. My friend had the burger which she said was very good. As I have before, I had the crab cake appetizer which were not only different than they had been previously but they lacked flavor- even the sauce which was supposed to be an aioli had little flavor. Other than sandwiches, the prices for the main courses are high.
- MetooVIPDined on 6/7/2014The noise level was intolerable. When speaking with the manager, he offered nothing, not even an apology. We told him we would not be returning do to the discomfort we experienced. He basically said, too bad! At the table next to us, a couple picked up and left after about 5 minutes. When a new party of three women were seated, they immediately asked to have their seats changed. The noise bounced off the walls and ceiling. We could not talk with y The couple across the small table from us without screaming. We left with headaches