Prairie Grass Café
601 Skokie Blvd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Prairie Grass Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prairiegrasscafe.com/
- Phone: 8472054433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday : 5:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sarah Stegner, George Bumbaris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Prairie Grass Cafe can accommodate semi-private parties of up to 14 guests & private parties of up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rohit Nambiar 8472054433
A word from Prairie Grass Café
Chef Sarah Stegner joins husband Rohit Nambiar & fellow chef George Bumbaris in creating this casual Northbrook restaurant, boasting a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere. Wood-top tables without tablecloths give the main dining room a contemporary feel while seating is also available in the bar area. A menu, changing monthly, features contemporary American fare featuring seasonal ingredients. For dessert, Chef Stegner's mother bakes delicious pies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Prairie Grass Café - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
Prairie Grass Café reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (53)great for lunch (46)special occasion (34)good for groups (34)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Anne54Dined on 10/18/2014I ordered the skirt steak. It was very good. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- GreatPinkyVIPDined on 10/15/2014We really enjoy eating here, its always delicious and we have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious , and the servers are very efficent and pleasant . We all enjoyed it here, will definitly return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great specialsAyseDined on 10/12/2014I recommend you to try egg benedicts and crepes. Warm cinnamon and pecan cake is great to shareSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousFoodieinprDined on 10/10/2014I have never had a bad meal or poor service at Prairie Grass. I had the vegetarian plate and it was delicious. My husband had the strip steak and he too was quite happy with his meal. The pear/almond cake was wonderful, would have been fantastic with some vanilla ice cream on the side. Our server was very attentive. Wonderful place.Special Features:
- basic, reliable, always a pleasureWilmetteBoxerDined on 10/10/2014We've had lunch and dinner here for years and never been disappointed. The menu changes frequently but retains some excellent favorites such as Parmesan-crusted tilapia. Ham and cheese sandwich with fig compote is another standout. Seasonal desserts are a strong point. Servers are informed, friendly, prompt, but we never feel rushed. We long for more of the corn fritters and the pate with apples and port. We always leave happy and always come back.Special Features:
- CarololaDined on 10/7/2014Service and food was very good. Drinks such as coffee was a little pricey. $3.95 is ridiculous. Birthday dessert for my friend was not complimentary. Usually birthday celebration desserts are. Server was delightful! Fast and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is decliningDownhillDined on 10/5/2014Wee've gone to Prarie Grass numerous times over the years. The restaurant is looking worn down--the tables have a gummy feel and bare spots where plates are placed. This is the second time I've been here recently where one of our biggest complaints is the lighting--the lighting is so bright, it feels like one is eating dinner in a fast/casual/delicatessen, not at all consistent with their menu and decor. The noise level is unpleasant---it's not loud and festive like you'd hear in a bustling restaurant which I'd like, rather i the restaurant has no soft surfaces so all the noise and conversations sound harsh and intrusive. The brussel sprouts were burned--clearly pre-cooked and then re-fried to serve. Ugh. Won't go back till they improveSpecial Features:
- Best Burger in Chicago is TrueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Great service, friendly staff, best burger I've ever hadSpecial Features:
- Best BurgerfrankVIPDined on 10/1/2014Their Wed. night hamburger deal is great, best burger in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Of Our FavoritesGoBoldlyDined on 9/26/2014We love Prairie Grass Cafe! We have eaten there many times and have never been disappointed. The food and service are consistently good. The waitstaff is very well trained and are customer-centered. We've eaten here for brunch on the weekends, lunch, and dinner and have tried many of the items on the menu. It is so good! One big draw about the food is it is farm to table and sustainable, something that we really admire. Be sure to give Prairie Grass Cafe a try soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menunbc173VIPDined on 9/19/2014Heard wonderful things about Prarie Grass but was disappointed in the limited menu they have. Cocktail creations were vast and interesting!Special Features:
- Over ratedJimbo6VIPDined on 9/11/2014Overcooked fish entree, mediocre service were the highlights of the dinner. The spinach side was overly salty. Cooffee was good.
- Best burgerfrankVIPDined on 9/10/2014The 10 oz. burger at Prairie Grass is the best hamburger in town.Special Features:
- First VisitChicagoFoodFanVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were thrilled with our first visit to Prairie Grass Cafe. The service was polite and attentive. Our food was excellent and well priced. The decor is warm and contemporary, a nice surprise for a suburban restaurant. It is on the noisy side as the ceilings are vaulted and there is no carpeting or table cloths to dampen the sound. We selected a booth by the window to avoid the noise as much as possible and that seemed to work quite well. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- forgotten favoritebikemomVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always forget how much I enjoy this restaurant till I come back and it is perfect every time. One of the few restaurants in the area where you can truly have a conversation without yelling. Also one of the few non-vegetarian restaurants where my vegetarian daughter is excited about the variety of choices for her. Broad selection of food that is prepared to showcase the quality and freshness of the ingredients. The service is attentive and competent and the atmosphere is casual and warm.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Lovely lunch visit with a colleague. The quality of the food and service is always very enjoyable. At times I find the voices and other noises of the restaurant make it a bit of a challenge to hear the others at my table, however that never interferes in the enjoyment of the visit there.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/25/2014One of my favorites in the area. An easy place to share a meal with friends and colleagues. Always a quality experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy thisfriendVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoy this restaurant. They have good vegetarian selections, which is a rare find.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014I have eaten at Prairie Grass Cafe several times. The food, as always, was outstanding. However, the service this time around was not up to the usual standard: the host was a bit dismissive, and the waiter took an exceptionally long time to take our order or to check up on us. Granted, it was a very busy Friday night, but I still think the service could have been one step stronger in order to complete the optimal dining experience.Special Features:
- Great fooddenisedivDined on 8/22/2014Really enjoyed the meal;however there was no ambiance. I was surprised with the interior of the restaurant. My husband and I have been trying to go here for awhile. We were excited to be able to get a reservation. The service was fine, not great. The food was good, but it would have been worth the wait had the ambiance been better. Though the food was good, I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- always great foodTomKDined on 8/20/2014It seems like the clientele is getting a little creepy. Lots of walkers, oxygen and wheelchairs. Attendants hovering around tables. Seemed like a nursing home went out for dinner.Special Features:
- Still great in NorthbrookDougRDined on 8/19/2014Excellent ingredients and a light touch in the kitchen. A great combinationSpecial Features:
- disappointmentReviewer34567VIPDined on 8/19/2014I hope this was just an off night because this is my go-to restaurant at least once a month. It took over a half hour to get a waiter to take our order (and only after I complained to the manager), over one hour to get our salads (described as kale and arugula but none of our salads included kale). To get the salads I again had to complain to the manager who replied "well, you only gave your order 20 minutes ago." 3 free desserts were plunked down on our table, and we weren't charged for our salads, but no apologies were given and I felt like somehow i was to blame.
- Excellent DinnerJudyhDined on 8/19/2014Seasonal fresh vegetables and fruits starred in this lovely dinner with friends. Thank you for the delicious selections to meet a variety of diners needs. My husband and I are vegetarians. Our friends enjoyed the regular selection with seasonal favorites. And the PIE A La Mode was Awesome!Special Features:
- Great LunchAllenKDined on 8/15/2014Went to lunch in Northbrook with some clients and the food, service and atmosphere was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Food FavoriteMarceVIPDined on 8/14/2014Prairie Grass consistently offers delicious seasonal options. The quality of the food is outstanding and the kitchen is willing to accommodate food allergies and sensitivities.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Consistantly enjoyable and of quality. Everyone I introduce to Prairie Grass wants to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyBosnianVIPDined on 8/9/2014Prairie Grass Cafe seems to always do a good job, even if it doesn't wow you. Food and service are reliable, without being memorable. The room is basic and somewhat loud when crowded -- which it usually is. You will always find something to like when others in your party want to go there, but you will probably look elsewhere for something special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Way too noisy. Made the evening unpleasant .Could not wait to get out of there.
- What took us so long?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We live in Lincoln Park and rarely venture to suburbia to eat. Luck found us in Northbrook and led us to Prairie Grass Café. Suffice it to say, we were blown away by the quality of the food and the unpretentiousness of the service. The wine list seems to be of the "almost three-times retail" type, but "reasonable" values are there. The food shines and will have us returning, bringing friends with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodtenanDined on 8/1/2014We always enjoy Prairie Grass. Our reservation was honored in a timely fashion. The food and service are consistently good. The wines are very well paired with the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentMicheleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Prairie Grass never fails to provide a wonderful dining experience. I had the sockeye salmon with creamed corn and roasted vegetables, with a caesar salad as my side. Truly excellent. I have also had the ahi tuna, so fabulous I have even returned for carry out. You can never go wrong here, and Jose provided excellent service. Making sure I had what was needed, but never intrusive!Special Features:
- DocSVIPDined on 7/31/2014Wonderful food and service...would like to go back very soon!Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 7/31/2014Quality service, quality food every time. A great place to meet friends and business connections for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner partyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We dined here after visiting the Chicago Botanic Gardens with 2 other couples. It was a great ending to a perfect day. Everyone in the group enjoyed what they ordered especially the guys. They has the fish and chips with a side of apple slaw and said it was delicious. The Toffee cake for dessert was fabulous. My husband and I agreed that we would would return if the opportunity arises.Special Features:
- not as goodroniVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were not too thrilled with our dining experience. Not as good as it use to be. What a shame!
- 1st time at Prairie Grasspeng60Dined on 7/23/2014The food was good and served promptly. The noise level was over the top. It was very distracting and hard to converse without speaking loudly. If I was to recommend this restaurant I would bring up about the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodGuillermoVIPDined on 7/19/2014We visit Prairie Grass several times a year because the food and service is consistently good. Among the four of us, we sampled the Lake Superior White Fish, a skirt steak and a hamburger. All were prepared well and to our taste. The service was attentive but leisurely allowing old friends to catch up. The back room is quieter than the main room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for casual special occasionsChefjack817Dined on 7/19/2014This restaurant have a very vibrant and energetic scene that caters to all age groups across the board. It is a great place to find comfort food from a wide price range. There is something for everybody. They also have a wide variety of wine and liquor on their menu. The restaurant have a very casual atmosphere that it is suitable to celebrate any occasion.Special Features:
- Great find and reasonableFoodie2Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is great if you do not feel like cooking and want a home quality meal with reasonable price. Though some menu items were on the high end, it is still a good deal. There was a slight snafu when placing our group reservation of 12 through Open Table. I really think management should look into a group of 12 or more to be able make a reservation through Open Table. There were tables available for two groups of 6 which necessitated us to make two reservations under two different open table accounts instead of one. When we attempted to make a reservation, a table for 12 was only available 8 weeks out. It did not make sense; but an Open Table customer service was very helpful to iron it out.Special Features: