Prairie Grass Café
601 Skokie Blvd
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Prairie Grass Café
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.prairiegrasscafe.com/
- Phone: (847) 205-4433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday : 5:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sarah Stegner, George Bumbaris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Prairie Grass Cafe can accommodate semi-private parties of up to 14 guests & private parties of up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Rohit Nambiar 8472054433x
A word from Prairie Grass Café
Chef Sarah Stegner joins husband Rohit Nambiar & fellow chef George Bumbaris in creating this casual Northbrook restaurant, boasting a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere. Wood-top tables without tablecloths give the main dining room a contemporary feel while seating is also available in the bar area. A menu, changing monthly, features contemporary American fare featuring seasonal ingredients. For dessert, Chef Stegner's mother bakes delicious pies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Prairie Grass Café - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
Prairie Grass Café reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (52)great for lunch (42)special occasion (33)good for groups (33)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (13)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014Went this time for a business meeting. They accomodated my request for a corner table away from the door and noise. Service was respectful of the meetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysTomKDined on 11/12/2014My favorite restaurant even on Wednesday when it is packed because of their two for one hamburger deal. Make a reservation days in advance for a Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prairie Grass dinnerdiner1Dined on 11/9/2014Ambiance was very poor. Noisy, bare tables, unappealing decor. Food was good. Service as not bad, but not good. Might work for lunch, but we will not be back for dinner.Special Features:
- Kids happy. Daddy happy!MitchVIPDined on 11/8/2014Kids always love this place. Food is great and comfortable surroundings. The platter to start for kids sets tone. Apples,carrots,cheese,cucumbers and a glazed banana. With them happy parents can then enjoy some great food alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skimom4Dined on 11/8/2014the food and service were very good. we all liked our meal, and the child's menu worked. we did not have any complaints, and will come again.Special Features:
- Terrible, Horrible ServiceRJ1234Dined on 11/7/2014We were ignored. There were four of us, we were nice, orderly and on time for our reservation. The table next to us seated after us was on their main course before we had our first. After 35 minutes without any response after multiple requests to other wait staff to find our waiter so we could have our order taken we alerted the hostess. Ten minutes later our waiter showed up. We had to ask for him to be found twice more. Our dinner was 2 1/2 hours because he was MIA. He forgot multiple drink orders, too. It was awful and unpleasant and I cannot recommend this restaurant.
- Best Farm to Table MenuJB22Dined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is hands down the best at providing a seasonal menu with simple foods from select purveyors prepared well. My extended family likes to dine together here, where there is something on the menu for everyone, including the kids.Special Features:
- Not that impressedShanghaiMomDined on 11/6/2014For a farm-to-table restaurant, I expected more organic offerings and more specifics about where various food items were from. My mom and I shared the baby kale/arugula salad, which was just ok. She had the crispy chicken and said it was very good. I had the sirloin burger with no bun, and it was exceptionally good. All portions were large. This is a pricey place, but doesn't look it. We ordered lower priced menu items, so with only one glass of wine, no dessert, and shared salad, total with tip was $75. It was also incredibly noisy - basically every surface in the room is hard. The fireplace is a big plus re good ambiance - otherwise it's not that great. I wanted to love this restaurant - just didn't work for me.Special Features:
- ald56VIPDined on 11/6/2014Prairie Grass Cafe has been a go to place for any occasion I can think of whether it is for birthdays or brunch. The service and waitstaff are outstanding. The menu is varied and fresh always. We are always greeted warmly and they are always there to please. One year after my mother passed we decided to go to PG for Thanksgiving. We of course were very sad and quite. The food and ambiance was comforting and made us feel like family . We adore PG , and the cafe is always on our list of favorite places to go. I would rate everything about Prairie Grass Cafe to be outstanding and a asset to North Shore dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost ThereDickieDined on 11/2/2014Your restaurant came recommended to us from by a friend. The entrance way was nice. When we first walked in, the main dining room was quiet noisy. We asked for a quiet table and were brought to a smaller room off the main dining area. The room was nice, but could have had better ambiance, like flowers and a candle on table, and softer lighting. The food was tasty but extremely small portions. I always like to eat half of my dinner and bring the other half home for another meal. Not that night. We all finished every bit of food on our plates. We even had to order salads for everyone. It was tasty, but need more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2014I wasn't happy with my seared Ahi tuna. It was stringy.
- My Go To local lunch placeSeasaidhVIPDined on 10/29/2014I always love their burger-- one of the best in Chicago area. Service was great too. A reliable option always. Also, their whitefish is really good. And very tempting salads.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchJudyDined on 10/27/2014I took my cousin there for a Birthday lunch. We had never been there before and were quite impressed with the menu and service. We both ordered salads and they were great. I would surely come back and try this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Always a good mealMickeyBDined on 10/23/2014Prairie Grass has a nice selection of tasty food; hamburger is a standout but other choices are delicious as well. Noise level is OK but bearable.Special Features:
- 2 for 1 has changed2for1dealDined on 10/22/2014On Wednesday nights, you can their sirloin steak burger on BOGO free. Great for a couple who like their steakburgers. Each person must now purchase a drink in order to get the 2 for 1 deal. Any drink; it does have to be an alcoholic beverage. It's still a good deal.Special Features:
- TwodogmomTwodogmomDined on 10/21/2014The food is consistently good and service attentive. Wine list was very nice although expensive. Always enjoy a great restaurant close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good dining experienceDougZDined on 10/19/2014Food is good and consistent. The place was bustling on a Sunday night so it must be doing something right.Special Features:
- Anne54VIPDined on 10/18/2014I ordered the skirt steak. It was very good. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- GreatPinkyVIPDined on 10/15/2014We really enjoy eating here, its always delicious and we have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious , and the servers are very efficent and pleasant . We all enjoyed it here, will definitly return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great specialsAyseDined on 10/12/2014I recommend you to try egg benedicts and crepes. Warm cinnamon and pecan cake is great to shareSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousFoodieinprDined on 10/10/2014I have never had a bad meal or poor service at Prairie Grass. I had the vegetarian plate and it was delicious. My husband had the strip steak and he too was quite happy with his meal. The pear/almond cake was wonderful, would have been fantastic with some vanilla ice cream on the side. Our server was very attentive. Wonderful place.Special Features:
- basic, reliable, always a pleasureWilmetteBoxerDined on 10/10/2014We've had lunch and dinner here for years and never been disappointed. The menu changes frequently but retains some excellent favorites such as Parmesan-crusted tilapia. Ham and cheese sandwich with fig compote is another standout. Seasonal desserts are a strong point. Servers are informed, friendly, prompt, but we never feel rushed. We long for more of the corn fritters and the pate with apples and port. We always leave happy and always come back.Special Features:
- CarololaDined on 10/7/2014Service and food was very good. Drinks such as coffee was a little pricey. $3.95 is ridiculous. Birthday dessert for my friend was not complimentary. Usually birthday celebration desserts are. Server was delightful! Fast and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is decliningDownhillDined on 10/5/2014Wee've gone to Prarie Grass numerous times over the years. The restaurant is looking worn down--the tables have a gummy feel and bare spots where plates are placed. This is the second time I've been here recently where one of our biggest complaints is the lighting--the lighting is so bright, it feels like one is eating dinner in a fast/casual/delicatessen, not at all consistent with their menu and decor. The noise level is unpleasant---it's not loud and festive like you'd hear in a bustling restaurant which I'd like, rather i the restaurant has no soft surfaces so all the noise and conversations sound harsh and intrusive. The brussel sprouts were burned--clearly pre-cooked and then re-fried to serve. Ugh. Won't go back till they improveSpecial Features:
- Best Burger in Chicago is TrueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Great service, friendly staff, best burger I've ever hadSpecial Features:
- Best BurgerfrankVIPDined on 10/1/2014Their Wed. night hamburger deal is great, best burger in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Of Our FavoritesGoBoldlyDined on 9/26/2014We love Prairie Grass Cafe! We have eaten there many times and have never been disappointed. The food and service are consistently good. The waitstaff is very well trained and are customer-centered. We've eaten here for brunch on the weekends, lunch, and dinner and have tried many of the items on the menu. It is so good! One big draw about the food is it is farm to table and sustainable, something that we really admire. Be sure to give Prairie Grass Cafe a try soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menunbc173VIPDined on 9/19/2014Heard wonderful things about Prarie Grass but was disappointed in the limited menu they have. Cocktail creations were vast and interesting!Special Features:
- Over ratedJimbo6VIPDined on 9/11/2014Overcooked fish entree, mediocre service were the highlights of the dinner. The spinach side was overly salty. Cooffee was good.
- Best burgerfrankVIPDined on 9/10/2014The 10 oz. burger at Prairie Grass is the best hamburger in town.Special Features:
- First VisitChicagoFoodFanVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were thrilled with our first visit to Prairie Grass Cafe. The service was polite and attentive. Our food was excellent and well priced. The decor is warm and contemporary, a nice surprise for a suburban restaurant. It is on the noisy side as the ceilings are vaulted and there is no carpeting or table cloths to dampen the sound. We selected a booth by the window to avoid the noise as much as possible and that seemed to work quite well. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- forgotten favoritebikemomVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always forget how much I enjoy this restaurant till I come back and it is perfect every time. One of the few restaurants in the area where you can truly have a conversation without yelling. Also one of the few non-vegetarian restaurants where my vegetarian daughter is excited about the variety of choices for her. Broad selection of food that is prepared to showcase the quality and freshness of the ingredients. The service is attentive and competent and the atmosphere is casual and warm.Special Features:
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Lovely lunch visit with a colleague. The quality of the food and service is always very enjoyable. At times I find the voices and other noises of the restaurant make it a bit of a challenge to hear the others at my table, however that never interferes in the enjoyment of the visit there.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 8/25/2014One of my favorites in the area. An easy place to share a meal with friends and colleagues. Always a quality experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy thisfriendVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really enjoy this restaurant. They have good vegetarian selections, which is a rare find.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014I have eaten at Prairie Grass Cafe several times. The food, as always, was outstanding. However, the service this time around was not up to the usual standard: the host was a bit dismissive, and the waiter took an exceptionally long time to take our order or to check up on us. Granted, it was a very busy Friday night, but I still think the service could have been one step stronger in order to complete the optimal dining experience.Special Features:
- Great fooddenisedivDined on 8/22/2014Really enjoyed the meal;however there was no ambiance. I was surprised with the interior of the restaurant. My husband and I have been trying to go here for awhile. We were excited to be able to get a reservation. The service was fine, not great. The food was good, but it would have been worth the wait had the ambiance been better. Though the food was good, I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- always great foodTomKDined on 8/20/2014It seems like the clientele is getting a little creepy. Lots of walkers, oxygen and wheelchairs. Attendants hovering around tables. Seemed like a nursing home went out for dinner.Special Features:
- Still great in NorthbrookDougRDined on 8/19/2014Excellent ingredients and a light touch in the kitchen. A great combinationSpecial Features:
- disappointmentReviewer34567VIPDined on 8/19/2014I hope this was just an off night because this is my go-to restaurant at least once a month. It took over a half hour to get a waiter to take our order (and only after I complained to the manager), over one hour to get our salads (described as kale and arugula but none of our salads included kale). To get the salads I again had to complain to the manager who replied "well, you only gave your order 20 minutes ago." 3 free desserts were plunked down on our table, and we weren't charged for our salads, but no apologies were given and I felt like somehow i was to blame.