Pound The Hill
621 Pennsylvania Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pound The Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poundthehill.com/
- Phone: 2026216765
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brad Spates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Give us a call or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for info on how we can help! We do coffee, pastry/breakfast/snack catering as well as full lunch or dinner service!
If you just need a quick grab and go coffee package for a meeting, we can put that together quickly for you – just give us a call. We also offer discounts for coffee and pastry service for over 25 people and are happy to deliver.
A word from Pound The Hill
Pound The Hill is a popular neighborhood bistro & wine bar serving New American Comfort Cuisine. With Chef Brad at the helm, Pound The Hill takes classic comfort dishes from across the States and across the world and serves them up with a delicious twist. International and regional influences are reflected in every dish, but flavor always take precedence over authenticity! Choose from a great selection of carefully hand-picked craft beers and boutique wines to complement your meal, all served in a casual yet intimate bistro atmosphere just blocks from the Capitol.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pound The Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Would not go backRp1232Dined on 5/22/2014The food was ok. I got the burger, and it was good, but my friend got the Shrimp "tacos", which were more like taquitos. The server we had was horrible!! I think it may have been his first time ever serving!! We asked for bread, and he did not bring plates out so there were crumbs all over our table. He kept reaching over the table to get the plates on the other side of the table and even started scraping left over food all on one plate at our table and stacked the plates to carry them away when we were done!
- Unfortunately, a major let downTheFlexitarianDined on 5/20/2014I came to Pound the Hill for (what I hoped) would be an off-the-beaten path foodie find, bear in mind that I did trek from NOVA/NW DC to try it out for dinner one weeknight with a friend. Anyways, food was awful and service was mediocre. I hesitantly ordered the fish tacos entree and was presented with a lukewarm soft taco with supposedly "Eastern Market fresh tilapia" but, by the look and taste of it, could have easily been pre-frozen battered fish stuck in the oven for a few minutes and stuffed into a tortilla. But the icing on the cake was the incredibly odd addition of honey--drizzled, rather, poured atop the whole dish. Can you say clashing flavor combination?! And not in a good way. I took two bites and determined to never return.
- Little Gem in Eastern Marketacw333Dined on 5/16/2014Pound the Hill has a great wine list, delicious food, and a wonderful ambiance. Had a lovely meal on the back patio on a Friday evening. The service was decent, overall polite and mostly attentive. They have a great happy hour that goes until 7pm on week days. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Could have been betterCre8ivTypDined on 5/2/2014We came for dinner and I think with a little more attention to the preparation and taste to the food, it could have been good. We ordered a couple of small plates, Tempura Veggies and Gourmet Tots. Sad to say, the tots were probably the best thing we ate that night. The chicken on the Roasted Chicken & Spring Greens was over cooked and needed a lot of extra dressing, the Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks was ok. Flavors weren't really blended well, like someone just threw some sauce on it, and if you're going to do Grits, you have to bring it, can't just be unseasoned with the consistency of instant. Maybe we should have stuck with something simple like a burger. I like the space though, maybe dinner isn't their thing.
- Reliable as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/26/2014Came for a last minute dinner and received the same consistently friendly and helpful service as always. The servers are always great in terms of helping choose a wine or beer...and letting you taste before you buy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood finding!VTahmed11Dined on 4/26/2014This was my first time at Pound the Hill. My first thought was that it's mostly used as a cafe; however, to my surprise, this turned out to be a great dinner place. The dinner menu selection isn't as broad as I'd like it to be, but the items were very delicious. I had the cod taco and the wife had the sliders. The food was cooked right and the portions were huge. One other note - you HAVE to try their Nutella latte...we had it for dessert and it's an excellent choice.Special Features:
- great for coffee and breakfastblakenbitzDined on 4/19/2014Perfect for coffee and breakfast, mediocre for dinner. This was my first time having dinner here as I normally stop for their amazing cappuccino. The food quality is pretty good but their entres are tiny portions for real meal prices. I'm not talking about their small plates either. My fiancé had the chicken and I had the portobello. After we left, we went to another place nearby to eat again because the portions were so small. I would not return here for dinner but will still highly recommend for coffee and breakfast based on quality and value (but definitely would stay away from dinner here).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around good timeMrsSayeDined on 4/12/2014The great service started with the hostesses, she was so sweet and accommodating. The food choices are great and they seem to change their food list with the seasons, which is a great idea. We got the gourmet tots which were awesome, someone in our group got the spinach and pineapple salad which they really enjoyed. We also got the ribs which were fall off the bone good. So whatever you decided to get, it is going to be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pound--lightweightRandyVIPDined on 4/12/2014friendly hostess...early evening dining...place fairly empty...two glasses of wine took a long time to be brought over...waiter was forgetful with few other tables to serve...presentation of cranberry orange salad was murky...red leaf lettuce was not as fresh as could be...hummus seemed to have sliced canned olives...carrot sticks unappealing in form/shape...pasta entree looked bland but tasted better than it looked but still was unremarkable..."food wasn't bad" was the best we could say...would not return or recommend
- Mussels were excellent. VerySpoonitDined on 4/9/2014Mussels were excellent. Very cordial host. Happy hour prices were great. Very nice dining Experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burger! Avoid "baked apple"NappertoeDined on 3/29/2014Our second time eating at Pound was enjoyable. The burger is delicious and the tater tots are scrumptuous. the cranberry walnut salad has been tasty and fresh both times. But avoid the "baked apple". It was described as an apple crisp-like dessert, but when it arrived, it was literally an apple, cut in half, a third of the way baked, and filled with burnt granola. have you ever tried to get the taste of burnt granola out of your mouth? The staff apologized and nicely removed it from our bill. I totally recommend Pound, just not the apple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for dinner!radharDined on 3/29/2014You think of Pound as a coffee shop, but ooooh the dinner is so good! I got the tater tots - delicious! And the sliders, which were perfect. A great glass of wine completed the meal. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Always deliciousampersandrewDined on 3/26/2014My girlfriend and I frequently visit Pound the Hill due to living in the neighborhood, and last night's trip was as good as any other. We were able to take advantage of the generously portioned happy hour wines before ordering an appetizer to share. The crispy green beans were fantastic, as always. I loved the evening special of a chicken breast stuffed with chorizo and black beans and wouldn't mind ordering it another several times in the future if it returns. My girlfriend ordered two "small plates" but each was large enough to nearly be a meal on its own. The sliders in particular were perfectly done, juicy and flavorful with a smokiness from the bacon and sweetness from the brioche buns. Too bad we didn't have room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find & we WILL return!baf1Dined on 3/22/2014Read great reviews on Yelp, & we we not disappointed. From the high seats in front of the window, my husband & I truly enjoyed the crispy, crunchy, totally non-greasy fried string beans, apple, cranberry,& mixed green salad, & were full before the scrumptious angus burger (stuff w/goat cheese), & scrumptious light as a feather & crispy sweet potato fries came out! Good red wine for me, same w excellent beer choice for hubby. Ended w/coffee & double espresso since off,to the theater, & we couldn't have been more pleased w/Pound the Hill. A keeper, for sure!Special Features:
- quiet with good fooddinerDined on 3/15/2014Really nice restaurant with a nice, relaxing environment. Almost every dish sounded good. We shared the Mac and cheese which was great. I really enjoyed the mussels for my entree. I will go back to try some of the other choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay - just okayGreatHHVIPDined on 3/15/2014The host was delightful - funny and accommodating. However, we were sat at the tall table and it is uneven so we kep having to try to prevent it from shaking. The server would walk away if one of us ordered a drink - without getting other orders. The Thai mussels were very greasy but the chicken special was great. I love it for breakfast, I was disappointed for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!frenchfoodieDined on 3/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for a late dinner and we both loved the fried green bean appetizers as well as our entrees. He got the ribs and I got the fish tacos, both of which were really tasty. It was actually too much food for the both of us, especially after the green beans, but it was definitely worth the price. I loved that the fish tacos were covered in honey and when I accidentally left my leftovers, my server came running out to give them to me. He definitely earned his tip. I will be back!Special Features:
- Fine time with wineErnWhttDined on 3/7/2014From the rich warm wood tables and bench, the individual comfy chairs and side tables to filling the back room for an intimate dinner party with 15 of your closest friends; it is a coffee shop, lounge vibe. The seating and environment provide a romantic and friendly atmosphere. Weather a wine expert or just want a relaxing fun night out, Pound The Hill is the place. They even have a bonus point program with great rewards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodGoIdahoDined on 3/2/2014The food was really, really good. Excellent flavor and well prepared. It is small, so make a reservation to guarantee a spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/28/2014OK, so not the typical scene for a guys night out, but since it was a mellow affair, Pound was perfect. The service was exactly what you'd want, attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and one of the reasons to make Pound a regular stop. If you've got a group that's looking to socialize, I'd recommend the communal table at the front of the house. And if you're looking for a more intimate setting, choose a table in the back. Either way, you'll leave happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemNeighborVIPDined on 2/27/2014We eat fairly regularly at Pound and have found it consistently good and appreciate the menu that changes with the seasons. Of the four of us, two had the always delicious Angus burger, one had the equally consistently good sliders, and another an excellent special of chicken wrapped in bacon. The service is consistently friendly and attentive, the wine list is very good, and the warm and quiet ambiance make for a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and Wine!fyrcrkrDined on 2/26/2014We shared a bottle of really good Riesling and 4 different items from the tapas/small plates section including: cheese board with very unique and crazy good cheese (one with mango and one with sage) and deep fried mac and cheese (the best thing I've ever tasted). The bison sliders were also really good and the curry sauce that comes with the tater tots is amazing! The wine list is nice and the prices are reasonable. They have several vegetarian options too. The small plates were plenty to share for the four of us. The location is convenient to Eastern Market metro and in a fun neighborhood! They also have a points program (free!) that earns you discounts. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Cafe turned Romantic Night Dine InDCfoodieVIPDined on 2/22/2014Pound the Hill was known to me as just another coffee shop with good coffee and lots of lounge seating. However, I thought I'd give them a try for their evening wine-food experience. It's totally transformed at night! The wait service was excellent, along with incredible food and excellent wine selection. This place is perfect for any special occasion or just hanging out in the evenings for a great relaxing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The besttmhdDined on 2/21/2014This place is the best. I absolutely love it. Get the bistro burger, it's divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing foodreviewerDined on 2/20/2014Service and ambiance were nice, but the food was mediocre. Half of the dishes we got were really not good at all. One friend liked the Moroccan soup and the pumpkin ravioli (which was as sweet as a dessert). But everything else was ok to bad. The "Caesar" salad was just a huge pile of iceberg with some random kind of dressing, a little parmesan and a little bacon. The mussels somehow acquired none of the flavor of the (very tasty) broth they were served in. The Greek yogurt hummus lacked any zing (and the carrots it was served with were astoundingly flavorless). Sliders and sausages were fine, nothing special.
- Perfect date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent! Perfect ambiance for a date night. We sat in the back room and the only suggestion I have is the music a little louder. It was quiet. Love this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Interesting EncounterDCTravelerDined on 2/6/2014I work in the neighborhood and like to patronize the local restaurants, out of personal and professional interest. I had chosen Pound since it was near my house and an easy walk. The food was generally OK. My guest had the Cesar Salad and the Pasta with Mussels. The Cesar Salad's garnish was interesting with toasted croissant bits, it seems. The Mussels and pasta were ok, as she noted it was quite easy to make. My appetizer and main course (the pork chop) were first rate. My only quibble was the wine list. There should have been more choices, that were available. The waitress was first rate in attention and good humor.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprisedanalh622Dined on 1/16/2014I had passed by this little bistro several times over the summer and each time thought I'm going to check that place out, it's cute. I'm glad I finally did. It was very quiet for a Thursday night around happy hour. Which is such a gem to find in DC. A venue where you can actually have an audible conversation with a friend at happy hour? Wha? Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. Our hostess was great and didn't rush us to order food as we luxuriated over our drinks. That was nice, yet when we were ready to order we did not have to chase her down. The food was tasty, the ambiance lovely. If you're looking for a quiet, charming, place to have a conversation with a friend and enjoy good food and drinks, Pound is the place.Special Features:
- Small plates and service wereNappertoeDined on 1/10/2014Small plates and service were outstanding. The sliders, fried mac and cheese, apple cranberry salad and gourmet tots were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Start to 2014BlameyDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend and I had dinner at Pound on New Years Eve. We had to wait a few minutes - not a big deal at all - and were rewarded for our patience with a complementary appetizer. The food was delicious - we had two small plates, an entree each and dessert and everything was excellent. They also kept their weekly half price wine night despite the holiday, which was another pleasant surprise when we received the bill. Service was great, food was great, and it is a very quaint neighborhood space. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Not to be missedNeighborVIPDined on 12/31/2013Pound offers a unique menu that changes regularly in an intimate setting. The service is friendly without being overly so, and the specials are outstanding. It is a neighborhood restaurant where you can enjoy really good food, quiet conversation, an exceptional wine list, and all without paying an exorbitant sum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful New Years Eve DiningdogmomDined on 12/31/2013Half priced bottles of wine on New Years Eve was an unexpected and pleasant accompaniment to a holiday dining meal. The corn chowder had just a hint of a kick with good flavor, followed by the sausage and apples small plate that was so tasty. Our server was very pleasant, had good suggestions when asked and had remembered us from previous visits. All in all a delightful dining experience. Will be visiting again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013The menu was pretty limited and the wait staff was pretty stuck up
- Great food options!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/21/2013Enough food options, from appetizers to the main dishes, for a vegetarian like myself. Large portions. Tasty food. And variety. I recommend this neighborhood secret.Special Features:
- Best Kept SecretBirthdayG1202Dined on 12/20/2013This spot is amazing and their meals are the best, I also received excellent customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/12/2013The small plate options were very good and for being small plates they were generally big enough to share with a group so everyone could sample nearly the entire appetizer menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pound was great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2013Pound was great as always! It's a great coffee shop by the day, and a nice bistro at night. We had the burger and the fish tacos, along with the cheese plate and the pumpkin ravioli. I would suggest all of them, but note that those of you who don't like heat should stay away from the tacos.Special Features:
- Marvelous Chef at Pound The Hill!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/1/2013Enjoyed our first visit to Pound The Hill....everything we ordered was creatively prepared and simply delicious. As others have noted, the restaurant is snug and romantic, with a savvy young staff and cozy bar. The menu features some unexpected delights; delicate combinations of savory ingredients, and unique takes on familiar favorites. Loved the Southwest Fish Tacos and the signature Bistro Burger. The Cannoli trio was a perfect dessert. We were so impressed with this informal, charming restaurant....can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed in theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2013I was disappointed in the food, especially that it was a special which was not on the menu. However the fine that hostess recommended was excellent.Special Features:
- Great New SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2013This could serve as a great new first date location or even rekindling location. The food is great and inexpensive. A definite must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.