Pound & Pence
55 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10005Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pound & Pence
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poundandpence.com/
- Phone: 2127161140x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday Through Friday from 11:30AM to 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jorge Cajamarca
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please visit our website for a full range of catering platters.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties from 15 to 300 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mehdi Jamil 2127161140x
- Entertainment: The Pub features multiple televisions as well as a 10 foot high definition Projector Screen to view the best of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL as well as Professional Soccer.
A word from Pound & Pence
Pound and Pence is an authentic English pub featuring both traditional English and American cuisine. The dark wood covering the restaurant radiates a warm feeling while the copper bar contributes to the old world charm. The library and living room areas feature a wood burning fireplace, luxurious wing chairs, high definition projector and a billiards table. The relaxing atmosphere paired with mouthwatering classic cuisine provides the perfect spot to enjoy a meal, a drink or a game with friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pound & Pence reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)vibrant bar scene (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Best Fish + Chips ever!DrMartinVIPDined on 8/4/2014Tremendous job on the Fish + Chips, I've never had better and I used to cook that dish in a seafood restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Lunch PlaceLestoastDined on 7/15/2014This is great place for a business lunch. The food is excellent and well priced. You can get a great burger here...but you can't go wrong with any choice you make. I also like to bring guests here because it's got a great atmosphere. In the colder months, seated upstairs by the fire, you can't believe you're in the middle of NYC. One caveat - the service is usually very good, but once in a while, you will end up waiting.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchZotpersonDined on 7/8/2014Great food...great service...great for casual business lunchsI would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Pound & Pence reviews archive.
- I really enjoyed the food!NYCAMEXDined on 6/24/2014The food, drinks and atmosphere was awesome, I would definitely visit this restaurant again, the service was impeccable.thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for lunch or happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Awesome two level gem in fidi. Great for work lunch, ambience is perfect for shop talk. Have been there for dinner for a few times as well and has been a nice reprieve from the loud scene. Service is great always and food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic building and great burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/9/2014Located in a building that is over 100 years old, this financial district restaurant is worth a visit when in the area. With high back cushioned seating it feels more like visiting a friend than having lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wall Street Gem.ElsieDined on 3/5/2014Polished brass, comfortable leather seats and great comfort food. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Pound & PencedanielmeltzerVIPDined on 3/5/2014It was my first time at Pound & Pence. It is in a beautiful, old, probably Landmark building in Downtown Manhattan. Nice bar, very nice interior, it is an upscale pub. I would certainly recommend it for Lunch and probably drinks after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Food was great, but service was a little to be desired. Kitchen was slow was the main issue and I have not had that problem here before especially since our entire order consisted of three sandwiches and sides. Waitress was very good, attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice atmosphere. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2011Very nice atmosphere. The service was very good. Nice place for group meeting. The music was nice and low. I have dined in several restaurant where the volume of the music was uncomfortably high. As a result, it made it difficult to enjoy my meal and conversation with my companions.Special Features:
- Food was great and tastedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2011Food was great and tasted freash! I will be going back for lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:
- Journey back to Jolly Olde England!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2011This was a terrific spot for a recent casual weekday lunch. The ambience is absolutely perfect - one feels instantly transported to a shire pub, somewhere in Jolly Olde England, where the decor echoes this theme throughout. Service was punctual, and the food was great! The overstuffed, parlor-type chairs were difficult to abandon at the end of the meal - I'll just have to make a return visit to enjoy Pound & Pence once again. Cheerio, P&P!Special Features:
- I have ordered delivery fromOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/30/2011I have ordered delivery from Pound and Pence before so I'm familiar with the outstanding bar/pub food, but this was my first experience at the restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised that there was quite a lively atmosphere with good music. The service could use an improvement. We had a reservation on opentable, yet the waitress seemed surprised that we wanted to order dinner after drinks. It was also tough to get the waitress to come back. We also had trouble redeeming our Open Table dining cheque.Special Features:
- Pub grub in a clubby atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2011Pub grub in a clubby atmosphere for the Wall Street crowd.Special Features:
- Servicie is very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2011Took over an hour to get our lunch and there was only 2 of us.
- Pound and Pence is a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2011Pound and Pence is a lovely pub style restaurant. I find that the atmosphere outweighs the food in this case. Some of the non-pub style dishes are a bit lacking in taste (which is what I had at my last visit). Their pub style dishes are much better. Overall, I would recommend Pound and Pence as a place to go to for the experience of dining at a pub.Special Features:
- The food was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2010The food was good and the service was fine, except it took our waitress forever to get us the check. Some of the friends I was with said that they'd also experienced that in the past. So next time I'll remember to ask for the check ahead of the time.
- The atmosphere was very warmingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2010The atmosphere was very warming on a cold day. The settings were homey and the food was true pubish, hearty and plentiful. The draft Guinness was also great. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- the upstairs is worth theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/3/2010the upstairs is worth the trip with cushy leather chairs and a fireplace. Everywhere else is crammed and too loud. Food is good British pub food. Service is friendly. Prices are decent.Special Features:
- Well executed, basic AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2010Well executed, basic American fare. Good for a quick bite in the Wall Street area.Special Features:
- Food and Service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2010Food and Service were excellent. The staff was extremely nice. The atmosphere is unique and elegant. Given all that, the price is very fairSpecial Features:
- Bar was a bit too crazy forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2010Bar was a bit too crazy for me. Ending up getting my food to go because I kept getting jossled by the groups of after-work folks.Special Features:
- A reliable neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2010A reliable neighborhood restaurant. When I went, the A/C was broken and everyone tried to pretend it wasn't.
- Was perfect for the businessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2010Was perfect for the business lunch I had scheduled. Minor issue was the waitress disappeared a bit longer than desired. We weren't in a hurry so it was not a big deal. Could have been problematic if we had to rush off to another meeting. An overall good experience.Special Features:
- My return after nearly a yearLion26KingVIPDined on 6/4/2010My return after nearly a year was as satisfying as the first time. Same table, same armchair,same waitress,same Martini,and the same main dish. I love everything about Pound and Pence,dark wood walls,muted lighting provided by alabaster sconces every few feet on the walls, the gold-felt pool table and the fireplace. Even the music playing in the bar was great. It's not a quiet place,but it can't be called noisy either. It's just right. The Caesar salad couldn't have been fresher with extra dressing, Mussells in white wine sauce (I soaked up every last drop using the bread), and the incredible Madras Curried chicken on fragrant Basmati rice. A single-malt scotch and a double espresso and my weekend was appropriately begun.
- Felt like home,me being aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2010Felt like home,me being a Brit.. Food was British i.e just OK ambiance was spot on and the top level was quiet enough to chat with an old friend.Special Features:
- Great spot downtown for anOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2010Great spot downtown for an unstuffy business lunch or to meet friends. Food is good and the environment, with overstuffed club chairs, makes for a memorable and authentic feeling experience.Special Features:
- I love the fireplace in theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/16/2010I love the fireplace in the winter/spring...plus their bucchaneer fish dish is worthy...Special Features:
- I have gone here for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/30/2010I have gone here for lunch a few times now the food is good. It has a great atmosphere with soft comfy chairs.Special Features:
- Pound and Pence is my go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2010Pound and Pence is my go-to spot when I'm looking to have an intimate chat with a small group or a date. I always aim to sit upstairs by the fireplace. My most recent experience there was less than stellar - our waitress was not very intuitive or accommodating.Special Features:
- Solid food...not great, butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2010Solid food...not great, but good to very good. Upstairs is usually very noisy.Special Features:
- The night we visited the pubOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2009The night we visited the pub had some type of english dancing. It was fun to watch, and it was very nosiy. The Chicken pot pie was excellent. The hamburger was huge. It was tucked away so you would never find it unless you were looking for it and had the address. The lighting was very poor and hard to read the menu.Special Features:
- I've been to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/23/2009I've been to the restaurant many times. But on this particular occasion, we waited for an hour for burgers and sandwiches. It was just not acceptable.
- Great lunch spot for areaLocationDined on 11/17/2009Great lunch spot for area businesses. Food is good, service is good, and moderately priced. I definitely recommend the burgers.
- We had a great time watchingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2009We had a great time watching the 6th game of the world Series there!!Special Features:
- Food was excellent as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/30/2009Food was excellent as always. A bit noisy, but for lunch fine.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service wasn'tSirPoochalaDined on 10/28/2009Food was good. Service wasn't credible. So if you need coddling or advice on anything don't go there. If you know what everything is and just want decent pub food this place is good. Don't bother with dessert. Great shepherd's pie (although mashed potato crust had no crisp, which I like) and side of spinach. Good chips.
- I found Pound & Pence on aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2009I found Pound & Pence on a restaurant website. It's inside an office building, the front of which is unfortunately behind scaffolding so we walked down the block once before we realized we'd passed it. We had a small table overlooking the floor below. Voices filter up from the large bar below, so it's not the place for an intimate dinner. On the upper floor, the background music is not audible, which I was glad of. We both had the beer-battered shrimp and a glass of wine. Food was very good, house chardonney and pinot grigo excellent. Coffee at the end was served in a mug and was great, even for decaf. I would definitely recommend - good food; good service; good prices.Special Features:
- Ideal place for a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/4/2009Ideal place for a business lunch. Good value for your dollar. Definately worth multip;le visits.Special Features:
- Although not obvious fromLion26KingVIPDined on 8/14/2009Although not obvious from the street level (no indication of the restaurant name) one can easily find Pound & Pence upstairs from the 55 Liberty Street entrance. Great care was placed on the menu items to make them sound as authentically English as possible. This plus the fact that the Shepherd's Pie is made from lamb and not beef (as I've seen everywhere else) made me confident of their authenticity. So I ordered the Indian specialties and they were fabulous! The samosas with tamarind sauce were delightfully spicy and the curried chicken (actually chicken tikka masala in a Madras sauce) over basmati rice was succulent and explosive with flavor. I was so encouraged that I ordered the "chips" which were also excellent. Do not miss it!Special Features: