545 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.postrio.com/
- Phone: 4157767825x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Sun: 6:30 am-10:00 am (10:30 am on Weekends)
Dinner: 5:30 pm-10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: A mulitute of private dining and catering options are available, with custom menus based on your group's needs. Please contact email@example.com for more info.
- Private Party Facilities: Make a Grand Entrance and enjoy a truly unique dining environment just steps away from Union Square! Our Grand Salon with its sweeping staircase can accommodate 30-300 guests and is the most compelling reception space in the city. We also have private space for meetings or dining from 12-30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Simonson 8888092024
A word from Postrio
Postrio knows just what you're looking for. Comforting food. Relaxing drinks. Intimate surroundings. All coming together in a gathering spot worthy of one of the world's great cities.Continued
And you'll find us right where you need us: just off Union Square in the thick of San Francisco.
Relax. We'll take it from here.
And you'll find us right where you need us: just off Union Square in the thick of San Francisco.
Relax. We'll take it from here.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Postrio reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- I think it's closedAnnnnonomusDined on 6/27/2014When I got there I was told it would be the last day it was open. So I wasn't sure what to order and are light. However the food was still good but not what I expected.Special Features:
- Very SadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Too bad about the change in ownership..... It was very sad and disappointing.....Never again.
- Great food but poor serviceSfbritDined on 6/25/2014As ways the food was great but service was poor. Waitress was very nice, but inexperienced. We ended up leaving before our we could order our main entree and dessert and paying at the bar due to inabailty to get her attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacor1Dined on 6/19/2014Good food and close to the theater. We appreciated the discount for theatergoers, but we would go there anyway.Special Features:
- TommyDined on 6/4/2014We enjoyed the food selections and the service. It is a good location for a light bite before going to the theater. Very nice décor etc. I was surprised at the dining room being almost empty at 6 p. m. on a Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 515 reviews are from the Postrio reviews archive.
- Drinks and Apps at PostrioStar41632Dined on 6/2/2014We started our evening at Postrio. Our server was nice but took a very long time to bring out drinks (despite the place being practically empty) ... in fact our appetizer came way before hand. Decided not to stay for dinner as we wanted to explore more. I remembered it being more lively when I went years ago. Have heard they changed management since my last visit.Special Features:
- excellentAgent415Dined on 5/24/2014I am a foodie. A pastry chef turned real estate agent. Although the interior is quite dated (looks like a Michelin star restaurant, but from the 90s), the meal we had was DELICIOUS. New flavors. Not a single dish disappointed. Grilled peach salad with arugula -- excellent. Brussel sprouts were unlike any other Brussels I have had (and I have had a lot of B. sprouts). Truffle fries need no comment and the fig, gorgonzola pizza was out of this world. I'm a local and I was impressed. I remember my parents frequenting here a lot a decade back. Glad to see it still has it's food!!!Special Features:
- It was closedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014We had a reservation, we showed up, and the it was closed!
- A nice visitErikaSFDined on 5/17/2014It has been many years since I enjoyed frequent visits to the bar at Postrio, back in its heyday in the 1990s. The place still looks great. The menu selections are limited, and the food is less creative. However, the dinner was good. We loved the crudo and the pizza with figs. They also had good cocktails. I hear the place is being sold and possibly re-vamped. It is still a great space, and may turn into a destination restaurant once again. .Special Features:
- Great food, empty restaurantJT13Dined on 5/2/20147pm Friday night, maybe four total tables full in very large restaurant. Decor was dated, service wasn't outstanding. But really no complaints, drinks and food were brought out incredibly fast. Food was great! Prices were high but reasonable. Not sure why this restaurant wasn't busy! Tried several high end restaurants this weekend, food here was my favorite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it used to benobodyDined on 5/1/2014Post Rio will close in two months to get the Wolfgang Puck out of it. He left two years ago and today it is really just a normal hotel restaurant. Service was exceptional and we had a great waitress. But the restaurant is not special anymore. Come here for a burger or salad but it is NOT at all what it used to be. It is just a hotel restaurant and that is what you should go into it realizing. Key though is it is closing and will be gone in 2 months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for before the showdylanmacDined on 4/30/2014The Kale salad was excellent. The pizza less so - but still good.Special Features:
- fairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014This is the second time we have been here and was disappointed this time. Food just OK and service the same. New owner??
- styleDined on 4/29/2014I stayed away when the menu changed. Now my faves are back, and so am I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike's ReviewMikeDined on 4/26/2014Limited Menu, Service Fair, Food mediocre at best. This was my first time and last time at this establishment.
- Prosutto and figRenatayangelDined on 4/20/2014The pizza was great it had a little bit of truffle oil fig it was awsome this is a great place to bad it was empy i will recomend it just to go have some snack or pizza!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!DiscerningDinerDined on 4/20/2014We arrived at 9:45am for an Easter breakfast to find that Postrio was closing in 15 minutes at 10am. We were encouraged to sit at any of the tables which were ALL empty. There was no one there, the place looked like it was being closing for good and perhaps should. Both Postrio and The Prescott Hotel are in dire need of major renovations. Today they both look like they belong in the Tenderloin District. We went to Parallel 37 and got five star service, food and atmosphere!
- once dazzling, today tired...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Postrio has become tired. menu very limited, wonder why they stay open at all. food was just okay. service was good, and of course, it was quiet... we'll not return until we hear something new.
- DisappointedmapamaDined on 4/11/2014I love Postrio in Las Vegas and was looking forward to the lobster club sandwich in San Francisco. I had been to this location many years ago and remembered a very pleasant dining experience. on this trip, i found the menu to be very limited....no lobster club. With such a limited menu,the food should have been outstanding but fell short.
- Dinner before showShowStopperDined on 4/10/2014The restaurant has a very nice charm and has a great menu. The waiter brought our wine very quickly and took our appetizer order but the appetizers took forever to come out. We were attending a show but had to finish our appetizers quickly and leave for the show. Unable to order dinner. I would like to return to try the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great but where are diners?FineDinerDined on 4/5/2014We went back to Postrio recently after a long hiatus. It is still spectacular -- great food, lovely ambience and setting. But we were shocked at how few diners there were -- not sure what has happened. The place used to be packed on all three levels during weekends, and there were barely 6 tables occupied on a Sat. night. Perhaps they need to improve their marketing?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past its primeGarthDined on 3/28/2014Years ago, this was a restaurant for special occasions. Now, it is just a lobby bar with good food. The menu is short, but that may be all that the kitchen can handle. Service was below par; could not understand the server and he took our menus after we ordered appetizers so we had to ask for them back to order our entrees and next round of drinks.
- What happened to Postrio?CocoDined on 3/28/2014Postrio used to be a fun, happening, full of life spot that had wonderful food. They just need to shut it down. We should have known something was off when we had such a good choice of reservation slots on a Friday night. The bottle of wine was good, but other than that we wasted good money on mediocre food and horrible surrounding. I am angry at myself for not reading recent reviews before we went. I was assuming it was the same Postrio from the Wolfgang Puck days. Do not waste your money.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Wolfgang Puck has been a favorite chef.Post. This restaurant had been a favorite. Knowing we would be in SFO and able to eat here again made me happy. Food was good. Limited menu.service not attentive. Restaurant not crowded. Ordered miss think Wolfgang should visit this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentsumatparDined on 3/1/2014Expectations were not met on our anniversary dinner. Service friendly but spotty - I had to remind server to bring our wine to the table. Our entrees were definitely of the "small plate" variety ... in fact they looked as though they were our appetizers. My wife's scallops were much too salty and my lamb portion was just OK and not warm enough. Only bright spot was the complimentary desserts offered for our anniversary.
- We are return customersTinalarDined on 2/22/2014we love the dining rooms and decor and atmosphere, , food is always excellent. We usually stay at the Prescott Hotel so it's convenient to have a great restaurant next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a RemodelHungryGuyDined on 2/18/2014The food was excellent, but the ambience was decidedly in the need of an update. We had hanger steak with potatoes, and chicken breast, which were very tasty, although the plates should have been warmer. Bottom line, the food was very good, but the atmosphere was lacking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hotel restaurantwaterstriderDined on 2/17/2014This restaurant is in the Klimpton hotel a few blocks up the hill from Market and 5th. The atmosphere is rather old-fashioned like fancy restaurants of the 60's. The food was surpringly good and innovative for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In decline?sharpes95Dined on 2/14/2014The once lively and bustling post street destination today seems worn out and faded. The main dining room sits empty with diners confined to the mezzanine.
- Tired...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Had been many years since dining at this once-iconic restaurant; thought it would be good to go back and experience it again. Went on Valentine's night and was very disappointed. The empty bar at 7pm on Valentine's was the initial tip-off that this place has gone downhill.... the main dining room at the very bottom of the stairs was not even set up. The food was mediocre - though the salad course was pretty good; and the service was friendly but rushed. The dishes seemed to be delivered immediately after the previous course was cleared (not sure why because there was not a line out the door waiting for our table...). Anyway, will have fond memories of the old days at this place.
- The place is amazingCeciliaDined on 2/13/2014I love the ambience and the food. Awesome date place. My hubby and I had our anniversary here. We might do this a yearly thing with the amazing experience we had.Special Features:
- Not nearly as good as it was.JohnG56Dined on 1/29/2014I was really disappointed after returning after 8 or 10 years! Service was good but the menu was very limited. Had a good table overlooking the deserted downstairs. I won't go back.
- It was my 5th time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014It was my 5th time dining at postrio in the last 15 years. It really hit the spot, perfect for the occassion. Everything what exceptional and creative in a down-home, gourmet way. Our server was helpful with interpreting the menu, really knew his stuff, great recomendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an outstanding eveningBrenDined on 1/24/2014First time back in 20 years (live in L.A.), but the food and service were exquisite. I will make a reservation here every time I go to San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceWhitneyDined on 1/23/2014We made a very late reservation for 9:45pm after working a long day. We were 5 minutes late, when we arrive and the sign was placed out front that it was not taking new seating. But, upon seeing our open table reservation, we were seated right away. Our server was extremely friendly and professional, even though it was very late and we were the only tale there. Food came fast and delicious. We had a wonderful meal to round out our day in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit embarrassedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014We took some out of town friends to dinner there - after leaving out of the area for some time, not having gone for awhile either. while it wasn't back, I expected more. the lower dining room was lit but not used. I wasn't looking for foodie, but I expected a better standard.
- still happenin'…AnnaDined on 12/30/2013Naou couldn't have been more attentive … He doted on our 7 year old and guided us in our selections … it was such a lovely meal…we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great food!FDiazDined on 12/29/2013Delicious dinning options with an outstanding wine selection to pair with your meal. My only regret is that I couldn't order one of everything to eat that evening otherwise believe me I would have! Elegant restaurant to take that special person in your life, but don't wait for a special reason to enjoy a visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice, good foodtmhilbushDined on 12/28/2013The bench seating was a bit shabby and the lighting in the elevated area in which we were seated was a bit bright. But the food was very good, overall I'd recommend it.
- A DisappoinmentDisappointedDined on 12/26/2013We were looking for a real dining experience but the combination of flavors just didn't work. In addition, the menu was very limited, and did not offer a rounded selection. I had the halibut "fish and chips". The fish was cooked to perfection, but the tartar sauce was tasteless. The pea mash was stone cold and didn't compliment the fish at all. The hanger steak my husband had, though cooked just right, was seasoned with an odd flavor and was only served with potatoes. The pellegrino I was served was warm and the cappucino we ordered came after we finished our dessert. Overall, we were disappointed with our date night meal.