3565 Mt. Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9252998700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Nightly at 5:30PM Lunch Service M - F 11:30AM to 3:00PM Afternoon menu offered between
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Stewart Beatty
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With the holidays just around the corner we are pleased to offer five different spaces that provide a unique setting, which can be tailored to meet the needs of your event. All of our rooms are ideal for special celebrations as well as business events. Visit www.postinorestaurant.com for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Crotty 9252998700
A word from Postino
Winner of the Best Restaurant Awards from DIABLO MAGAZINE and THE EASTBAY EXPRESS. Postino is located in a historic brick and slate-roofed Carr Jones designed former post office in downtown Lafayette. Inspired by the traditions of Italy with an American inclination, Postino delivers a seasonal menu using the finest local and imported ingredients. We serve the full menu at bar and have walk in tables available in the lounge and patio. Private rooms and banquet spaces seat 6 to 250.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Postino - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Postino reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)neighborhood gem (105)great for outdoor dining (101)romantic (96)fit for foodies (87)notable wine list (65)good for groups (62)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (15)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not as Good as BeforeLafayetteFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I have loved this place for years. The interior is so warm and inviting and up until this weekend, we have always had outstanding food and service. But the menu has changed and the food isn't as good. Everything from salads to entrees to desert were mediocre. Service was good enough, but a little forced. Certainly nothing worthy of a major complaint, but it has definitely fallen in our ranking of restaurants in the Walnut Creek/Lamorinda area.
- Postino = Professional & PolishedTooFoodsDined on 10/25/2014Two couples on a Saturday night; we requested a corner booth which was cozy. We are semi-regulars who come here about twice a year, usually with a group or special occasion. Burrata appetizer was smooth and spicy at the same time with tomato confit and green olives, and yummy toasted bread slices. Friends ordered menu standby short ribs and loved them. Husband had the rib eye and it was perfectly cooked with really good flavor. I had the pasta with duck ragu: mmmm so rich and delicious! Very large portion: I took more than half home. Creme brulee and apple cake for dessert were classic and share-able. Everyone said they didn't want dessert, then the plates were empty! Xclnt Italian wine from the great wine list.Special Features:
- Charming inside and outOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/25/2014I have dined at Postino several times in recent years; it's a great special occasion place, with a beautiful interior and exterior. It's great for picture taking and for impressing my friends from out of town. The wine list, and the menu and quality of the food and service is excellent.Special Features:
- Liked itdin4twoDined on 10/21/2014The service was excellent.Three of us were there for lunch and I ordered the apple salad. The server asked if I wanted to add chicken. I had read that option but wasn't interested until she said that the salad was intended as a starter, implying that it was a small portion. I added the chicken. The salad was med. to large in size. A hot piece of bone-in chicken was sitting ON the salad. I was expecting cold or room temperature, boneless slices. I removed it immediately but the salad was wilted and warm. There was also way too much (mouth puckering) dressing on it. All the ingredients were great. It just wasn't put together properly. Next time: no chicken and dressing on the side. My friends loved their gourmet grilled ham and cheese.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014eggplant was good special salad was a 2.5 out of 10Special Features:
- Food is excellentFarhanDined on 10/19/2014The food is excellent. obviously the chef is very experienced. I just want to say taste of food is unique. Wine list, service, and mor than anything the ambient and great patio setting atmosphere is going to leave an unforgettable dinner in your mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A garden delight, plus chef cuisineRPaulHVIPDined on 10/19/2014what's not to love at Postino? eating outside, next to the garden, in sunny Lafayette, with delicious mouth-watering cuisine, and reasonable prices for the superb quality. wish I could just eat here daily :)
- Another Lovely Evening at PostinoPattyVIPDined on 10/18/2014We met two other couples at Postino. They put us in a small room with other diners. It felt like we had the room to ourselves. Rick was our waiter, and he gave us great service throughout our dinner. Everyone said their meal was delicious. I had the short ribs - my favorite.Special Features:
- Amazing....ElmerDined on 10/17/2014.....as always...in all ways!😎 We enjoy your establishment at least once a month, if not more and we are always delighted....never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FindOakFindDined on 10/15/2014Pleasantly surprised during out recent visit to the restaurant. We had not been there for 11 years and were impressed with the quality of the food. Service was great as well. Favorites were the pasta with lamb and the eggplant.Special Features:
- Postino's AnniversaryRoderickDined on 10/14/2014Seated promptly at an out of the way table. The wine was very good, but the dinners were even better! Postino's is a long standing east bay gem! Give their dinner and wine menus a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustSusieDined on 10/13/2014I took a dear friend to lunch at Postino and we sat outside on their lovely patio. The architecture is European with brick walls and slate roofing. So the atmosphere is definitely a step above most restaurants in appearance. We were gracious greeted, the food could't have been more beautifully presented and it was delicious. I highly recommend this great restaurant.Special Features:
- First TimerDuckyDined on 10/12/2014First time eating at Postino. We had heard a lot about it and it didn't disappoint!Special Features:
- Dinner Under the StarskatielouDined on 10/12/2014We chose this venue so we could eat outside. It was a lovely night and service was good. My husband enjoyed his cream of tomato soup. My Verde salad would have been better without so much goat cheese. He had the duck and I had the brick chicken. Both were good and the sauce with the chicken was very nice. We were too full for dessert. Cons were the very noisy group at the next table (no one's fault) and butter with chile, rosemary, etc. Just plain butter would have been nice.Special Features:
- Yummy food!LeeshyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Went to dinner with my husband. We started with the pizza of the day. Nice crispy thin crust. Main course for me was the lasagna and my husband had the seared tuna. Food was great, service was attentive. Only downside was there was a wedding party there and they were LOUD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just missed this timeMartymazVIPDined on 10/9/2014They are usually amazing. Not so much this time. Had to send the eggplant dish back for being undercooked. They did not charge me for the entree. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDineoutqueenVIPDined on 10/8/2014Postino seems to be a constant in Lafayette. They have good food (sometimes great). Service, ambiance, and variety are always very good. Enjoyed the seasonal brussel sprout salad and fabulous soup. The flat bread pizza looked good but I did not taste it. The calamari and shrimp were great. Will always go back.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood restauranttastey1Dined on 10/3/2014If you are looking for great food and ambiance without city hassle, Postino is it. In making a phone reservation, ask for a nice table and explain if there is an occasion. Food was great, service was good but professionalism could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter needs training!RestaurateurDined on 10/3/2014The waiter left us in the middle of telling us what the special were. Then he left again before we finished ordering a bottle of wine. Then a 3rd time in the middle of ordering our food without excusing himself. I observed him taking care of 4 other tables before returning to us. Unless he has ADHD, there is absolutely no excuse for leaving us hanging 3 times. I am being generous with the 3 stars rating it should really be a 2.5 stars due to the treatment.
- Nothing special about this placeFoodyDined on 10/3/2014Food was ok. Nothing special. Service was good, again nothing special. There were flies all over the place. We were told that their delivery truck was there and the back door was open for few hours. This is a so so place. There are much better places in Lafayette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustSusieDined on 10/2/2014We treated friends to a lovely dinner at Postino. Food was delicious, the wait-staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. There was a large party and yet we were given just the right amount of attention throughout the evening. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Wonderfully charming!maggiefiDined on 9/29/2014Aesthetically, the restaurant is beautiful, inside and out. Excellent food and service, but felt a little rushed. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Loveley LunchEnthusedDiner51Dined on 9/22/2014Food was excellent. The burrata here is quite amazing. My girlfriend has the Salmon for lunch and it was cooked beautifully. I had the Garganelli which was full of flavor. Service was a little unfriendly and curt for a place that is so nice. Would have liked it if our server was a little more attentive and seemed to show some enthusiasm about having guests in the restaurant. She was pleasant though.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014Postino's food is consistently great and outstanding service!Special Features:
- Great serviceKatDunDined on 9/20/2014Had a wonderful evening catching up with old friends. We were seated in the center of the dining room, and while the noise level was high, we managed to lean in and hear what each other was saying. Only one mis step and that was our entries came out before we were finished with our salads. The waiter quickly backed up and returned the entries to the kitchen to keep warm. We finished our salads soon after and three staff swooped in and took our salad plates and cleared and the entries magically appeared again. Smooth.Special Features:
- RicoDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I had a very wonderful time dining at Postinos. Great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and DelciouscusinemattersDined on 9/16/2014Superb short ribs and lovely ambiance. My favorite restaurant in Lafayette. Worth the drive if your not lucky enough to live near by.Special Features:
- Still good with some concerns.NewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 9/13/2014We were seated in a very noisy area. Had to shout to be heard over the next table. Next time we will ask for a quieter table. Food was good but waiter may have had an off day. Overall experience was still very good with reservations noted.Special Features:
- Outdoors delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014It was a warm but very pleasant evening in Lafayette. Our friends brought their puppy dog and we ate out on the patio. Nice music was playing, food was very good and the service was casual but appropriate. All and all, up to the (high)standards we have grown to expect from Postino. If you go, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good and it was nice to be someplace where we could carry on a conversation without raising our voices.Special Features:
- CelebrationlocalDined on 9/10/2014Great place for a special celebration. Wonderful server, quite booth, high enjoyment of food and environment.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingayeflyDined on 9/10/2014Postino is easy to get to and they offer free valet parking. The restaurant setting is great and the dining room is very nice with a wonderful ambiance. For a starter we ordered a "insalata cesare" and the "soup of the day". Both were EXCELLENT. For the main I ordered the braised short ribs - one of the specialties of the house - and they were very good. I would order them again. They came on a bed of mashed potatoes and I substituted green beans for the "English peas" with no problem. Both sides were good. However, my wife ordered the grilled half chicken. She loved all the sides but was NOT a fan of the chicken. It was "tough and chewy" Would we go back again? YES, but we would not order the chicken...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and sustainable italianwchinookDined on 9/9/2014The building and ambiance are great - cozy brick and wood, warm lighting. We enjoyed our meals - rich and creamy meat and starch dishes (duck w/ orzo, pasta w/rabbit). A little heavy on the salt, as such dishes tend to be in restaurants. The service was friendly and knowledgeable, particularly about the wine. It was fantastic that the server suggested I order a half pasta dish after my appetizer, unless I wanted to take some home. Downsides - service was slow, considering it was 6pm and it wasn't packed - we didn't see the server for 5-10 minutes after sitting down, and then didn't see the wine list (which we were underwhelmed by) until a bit after that. Also, no "drinks" menu other than the wine list, they said they're working on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionCosetteDined on 9/6/2014As always...ambience, food, servce, fabulous table...all were divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISHFJLPVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything was delicious!! We especially LOVED the pasta with the rabbit. The rabbit was so tender. EXCELLENT dish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerfoodie16Dined on 9/5/2014Charming setting with excellent food and service. Calamari was oust yet crisp outside. Caesar salad was very good. Duck entree was perfectly cooked. Garganelli with rabbit always is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceVineanddineVIPDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Postino and rate it outstanding in all areas. The service was fantastic. Our water glasses never got below 2 sips from the top. The waiter was very knowledgeable and guided us through the menu. I had the heirloom tomato salad and duck breast for entree both dishes were excellent. My wife enjoyed the caesar salad and clams. Both of her dishes were outstanding. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff treat you as if you were royalty. We will be back and this might become one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Lovely gathering placeVallartachicDined on 9/5/2014We have been to Postinos on several occasions to reconnect with friends who we haven't seen in a while. The food is fabulous and the staff is always pacient while we chat, catch up, and delay ordering because we are too busy talking!! The menu is varied and staff knowledgeable. And the wine list is great as well! Always a nice welcoming place to dinbe.Special Features:
- Bad all way aroundBigmanDined on 8/31/2014Service was terrible, unfocused , food was terrible from soup to nuts. Pizzete had giant chunks of uncooked figs, margarita was given to my 15 year old son. Wife's rizzoto had frozen rock hard chicken breast, my short ribs were not tender, dessert was average oh well $300 down the drain!!
- Consistently excellentthoughtoDined on 8/30/2014We've been to Postino about a dozen times and have had a great experience every time (date night, rehearsal dinner, etc). The menu changes seasonally which forces us to try new things each time and we have yet to try something that wasn't spectacular. The wait staff is friendly, knowledgable and professional. The ambiance is romantic, yet still comfortable. Postino is a great place for foodies that don't want to make the trek to the ctiy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.