3565 Mt. Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (925) 299-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Nightly at 5:30PM Lunch Service M - F 11:30AM to 3:00PM Afternoon menu offered between
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Stewart Beatty
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With the holidays just around the corner we are pleased to offer five different spaces that provide a unique setting, which can be tailored to meet the needs of your event. All of our rooms are ideal for special celebrations as well as business events. Visit www.postinorestaurant.com for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Crotty 9252998700
A word from Postino
Winner of the Best Restaurant Awards from DIABLO MAGAZINE and THE EASTBAY EXPRESS. Postino is located in a historic brick and slate-roofed Carr Jones designed former post office in downtown Lafayette. Inspired by the traditions of Italy with an American inclination, Postino delivers a seasonal menu using the finest local and imported ingredients. We serve the full menu at bar and have walk in tables available in the lounge and patio. Private rooms and banquet spaces seat 6 to 250.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Postino - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Postino reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)neighborhood gem (99)romantic (98)fit for foodies (94)great for outdoor dining (93)notable wine list (69)good for groups (65)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Cosy joint, stellar serviceleelasrinVIPDined on 11/20/2014Get there early in the winter for a cocktail in the bar, the surface of which is heated. Nice way to warm up on a dreary East Bay night! Food was all very good: most notably the Brussels sprouts appetizer and the hand-cut mushroom pappardelle. Attentive but unobtrusive service, live guitar music on the Thursay night we went. I will bring my parents here next time they visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!nkslafayetteDined on 11/11/2014We recently moved to Lafayette and are acquainting ourselves with the local culinary scene. Postino's was amazing. We have a 5 year old daughter who loved everything we ordered. The presentation was beautiful. The portions were large, which was perfect for us all to try each others dish. The ambience was classy and comfortable. Our waiter, Brian, was wonderful. Postino is not an average Italian restaurant. The flavors and preparation of each dish sets this restaurant apart from "typical." This restaurant definitely made our permanent list.Special Features:
- Mostly excellentverysatisfied55Dined on 11/9/2014Overall rating is "very good"; pluses are the food and the service. Ambiance would improve if the noise level was lowered significantly. It was difficult to keep a nice conversation going in our 5-people group due to the loud conversations around us. The parking is a convenient feature.Special Features:
- Awesome Night at Postino'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014Awesome night! It was our 34th anniversary, the hostess held a great booth for us. The service was great, waitress was very attentive checking on us often. Drinks and food were delivered timely and the food was awesome. This was our first time at Postion's but we plan on coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy salad and overcooked salmonCleoDined on 11/1/2014The Caeser salad arrived with soggy cheese and croutons, clearly made and tossed ahead of time. The Salmon entree was overdone and came with underdone risotto. When asked to replace, the waiter said the dish contained quinoa but replaced it without comment. The next salmon was cooked correctly. The Tuna entree was sort of seared on one side and warm but not hot. Brussel sprout salad was OK but seemed to have been sitting and reheated, a bit soggy. Overall, we felt pressed to eat and leave. The food was already prepared prior to our seating. The quality reflected this. Very noisy and crowded. Not for a leisurely meal. Not worth the money.
- Food was lackingKiki2010Dined on 11/1/2014Ambiance was great. Food was lacking. My husband loved his but mine (the short ribs, which I was told is what they are famous for) was strangely bland. Like really really bland. I looked through some photos on Yelp and everyone else's seem to be covered in some sort of sauce that mine definitely did not have. So I am not sure what happened with mine. The mashed potatoes were also incredibly garlicky to the point of not being able to eat them. I expected more from this restaurant and was really disappointed. Service was great though, just don't know that I would come again. I mentioned that I did not like my dish at all and got a "Oh bummer, sorry." I guess they can't refund everyone, but it was disappointing.Special Features:
- The food and service was great.JudyDined on 10/31/2014It was our anniversary and they gave us a really nice place to sit in a quiet area. We appreciated that we could talk and hear each other. The food was great and our service was extremely good.Special Features:
- Over-rated?MEdiningVIPDined on 10/28/2014Very enjoyable meal, but certainly not of the caliber fitting the restaurant's reputation. These are not "fast food prices!" My entrée was served while my appetizer plate was still on the table (the latter removed for serving the entrée). A bit disconcerting as there wasn't a rushed time constraint. The entrée was subsequently removed at my request and re-done/re-delivered 10-15 minutes later.Special Features:
- Not as Good as BeforeLafayetteFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I have loved this place for years. The interior is so warm and inviting and up until this weekend, we have always had outstanding food and service. But the menu has changed and the food isn't as good. Everything from salads to entrees to desert were mediocre. Service was good enough, but a little forced. Certainly nothing worthy of a major complaint, but it has definitely fallen in our ranking of restaurants in the Walnut Creek/Lamorinda area.
- Postino = Professional & PolishedTooFoodsDined on 10/25/2014Two couples on a Saturday night; we requested a corner booth which was cozy. We are semi-regulars who come here about twice a year, usually with a group or special occasion. Burrata appetizer was smooth and spicy at the same time with tomato confit and green olives, and yummy toasted bread slices. Friends ordered menu standby short ribs and loved them. Husband had the rib eye and it was perfectly cooked with really good flavor. I had the pasta with duck ragu: mmmm so rich and delicious! Very large portion: I took more than half home. Creme brulee and apple cake for dessert were classic and share-able. Everyone said they didn't want dessert, then the plates were empty! Xclnt Italian wine from the great wine list.Special Features:
- Charming inside and outanniecDined on 10/25/2014I have dined at Postino several times in recent years; it's a great special occasion place, with a beautiful interior and exterior. It's great for picture taking and for impressing my friends from out of town. The wine list, and the menu and quality of the food and service is excellent.Special Features:
- Liked itdin4twoDined on 10/21/2014The service was excellent.Three of us were there for lunch and I ordered the apple salad. The server asked if I wanted to add chicken. I had read that option but wasn't interested until she said that the salad was intended as a starter, implying that it was a small portion. I added the chicken. The salad was med. to large in size. A hot piece of bone-in chicken was sitting ON the salad. I was expecting cold or room temperature, boneless slices. I removed it immediately but the salad was wilted and warm. There was also way too much (mouth puckering) dressing on it. All the ingredients were great. It just wasn't put together properly. Next time: no chicken and dressing on the side. My friends loved their gourmet grilled ham and cheese.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014eggplant was good special salad was a 2.5 out of 10Special Features:
- Food is excellentFarhanDined on 10/19/2014The food is excellent. obviously the chef is very experienced. I just want to say taste of food is unique. Wine list, service, and mor than anything the ambient and great patio setting atmosphere is going to leave an unforgettable dinner in your mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A garden delight, plus chef cuisineRPaulHVIPDined on 10/19/2014what's not to love at Postino? eating outside, next to the garden, in sunny Lafayette, with delicious mouth-watering cuisine, and reasonable prices for the superb quality. wish I could just eat here daily :)
- Another Lovely Evening at PostinoPattyVIPDined on 10/18/2014We met two other couples at Postino. They put us in a small room with other diners. It felt like we had the room to ourselves. Rick was our waiter, and he gave us great service throughout our dinner. Everyone said their meal was delicious. I had the short ribs - my favorite.Special Features:
- Amazing....ElmerDined on 10/17/2014.....as always...in all ways!😎 We enjoy your establishment at least once a month, if not more and we are always delighted....never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FindOakFindDined on 10/15/2014Pleasantly surprised during out recent visit to the restaurant. We had not been there for 11 years and were impressed with the quality of the food. Service was great as well. Favorites were the pasta with lamb and the eggplant.Special Features:
- Postino's AnniversaryRoderickDined on 10/14/2014Seated promptly at an out of the way table. The wine was very good, but the dinners were even better! Postino's is a long standing east bay gem! Give their dinner and wine menus a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustSusieDined on 10/13/2014I took a dear friend to lunch at Postino and we sat outside on their lovely patio. The architecture is European with brick walls and slate roofing. So the atmosphere is definitely a step above most restaurants in appearance. We were gracious greeted, the food could't have been more beautifully presented and it was delicious. I highly recommend this great restaurant.Special Features:
- First TimerDuckyDined on 10/12/2014First time eating at Postino. We had heard a lot about it and it didn't disappoint!Special Features:
- Dinner Under the StarskatielouDined on 10/12/2014We chose this venue so we could eat outside. It was a lovely night and service was good. My husband enjoyed his cream of tomato soup. My Verde salad would have been better without so much goat cheese. He had the duck and I had the brick chicken. Both were good and the sauce with the chicken was very nice. We were too full for dessert. Cons were the very noisy group at the next table (no one's fault) and butter with chile, rosemary, etc. Just plain butter would have been nice.Special Features:
- Yummy food!LeeshyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Went to dinner with my husband. We started with the pizza of the day. Nice crispy thin crust. Main course for me was the lasagna and my husband had the seared tuna. Food was great, service was attentive. Only downside was there was a wedding party there and they were LOUD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just missed this timeMartymazVIPDined on 10/9/2014They are usually amazing. Not so much this time. Had to send the eggplant dish back for being undercooked. They did not charge me for the entree. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDineoutqueenVIPDined on 10/8/2014Postino seems to be a constant in Lafayette. They have good food (sometimes great). Service, ambiance, and variety are always very good. Enjoyed the seasonal brussel sprout salad and fabulous soup. The flat bread pizza looked good but I did not taste it. The calamari and shrimp were great. Will always go back.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood restauranttastey1Dined on 10/3/2014If you are looking for great food and ambiance without city hassle, Postino is it. In making a phone reservation, ask for a nice table and explain if there is an occasion. Food was great, service was good but professionalism could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter needs training!RestaurateurDined on 10/3/2014The waiter left us in the middle of telling us what the special were. Then he left again before we finished ordering a bottle of wine. Then a 3rd time in the middle of ordering our food without excusing himself. I observed him taking care of 4 other tables before returning to us. Unless he has ADHD, there is absolutely no excuse for leaving us hanging 3 times. I am being generous with the 3 stars rating it should really be a 2.5 stars due to the treatment.
- Nothing special about this placeFoodyDined on 10/3/2014Food was ok. Nothing special. Service was good, again nothing special. There were flies all over the place. We were told that their delivery truck was there and the back door was open for few hours. This is a so so place. There are much better places in Lafayette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustSusieDined on 10/2/2014We treated friends to a lovely dinner at Postino. Food was delicious, the wait-staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. There was a large party and yet we were given just the right amount of attention throughout the evening. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Wonderfully charming!maggiefiDined on 9/29/2014Aesthetically, the restaurant is beautiful, inside and out. Excellent food and service, but felt a little rushed. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Loveley LunchEnthusedDiner51Dined on 9/22/2014Food was excellent. The burrata here is quite amazing. My girlfriend has the Salmon for lunch and it was cooked beautifully. I had the Garganelli which was full of flavor. Service was a little unfriendly and curt for a place that is so nice. Would have liked it if our server was a little more attentive and seemed to show some enthusiasm about having guests in the restaurant. She was pleasant though.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014Postino's food is consistently great and outstanding service!Special Features:
- Great serviceKatDunDined on 9/20/2014Had a wonderful evening catching up with old friends. We were seated in the center of the dining room, and while the noise level was high, we managed to lean in and hear what each other was saying. Only one mis step and that was our entries came out before we were finished with our salads. The waiter quickly backed up and returned the entries to the kitchen to keep warm. We finished our salads soon after and three staff swooped in and took our salad plates and cleared and the entries magically appeared again. Smooth.Special Features:
- RicoDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I had a very wonderful time dining at Postinos. Great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and DelciouscusinemattersDined on 9/16/2014Superb short ribs and lovely ambiance. My favorite restaurant in Lafayette. Worth the drive if your not lucky enough to live near by.Special Features:
- Still good with some concerns.NewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 9/13/2014We were seated in a very noisy area. Had to shout to be heard over the next table. Next time we will ask for a quieter table. Food was good but waiter may have had an off day. Overall experience was still very good with reservations noted.Special Features:
- Outdoors delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014It was a warm but very pleasant evening in Lafayette. Our friends brought their puppy dog and we ate out on the patio. Nice music was playing, food was very good and the service was casual but appropriate. All and all, up to the (high)standards we have grown to expect from Postino. If you go, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- LoveCarmelVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good and it was nice to be someplace where we could carry on a conversation without raising our voices.Special Features:
- CelebrationlocalDined on 9/10/2014Great place for a special celebration. Wonderful server, quite booth, high enjoyment of food and environment.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingayeflyDined on 9/10/2014Postino is easy to get to and they offer free valet parking. The restaurant setting is great and the dining room is very nice with a wonderful ambiance. For a starter we ordered a "insalata cesare" and the "soup of the day". Both were EXCELLENT. For the main I ordered the braised short ribs - one of the specialties of the house - and they were very good. I would order them again. They came on a bed of mashed potatoes and I substituted green beans for the "English peas" with no problem. Both sides were good. However, my wife ordered the grilled half chicken. She loved all the sides but was NOT a fan of the chicken. It was "tough and chewy" Would we go back again? YES, but we would not order the chicken...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.