3565 Mt. Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (925) 299-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Nightly at 5:30PM Lunch Service M - F 11:30AM to 3:00PM Afternoon menu offered between
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Stewart Beatty
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With the holidays just around the corner we are pleased to offer five different spaces that provide a unique setting, which can be tailored to meet the needs of your event. All of our rooms are ideal for special celebrations as well as business events. Visit www.postinorestaurant.com for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Crotty 9252998700
A word from Postino
Winner of the Best Restaurant Awards from DIABLO MAGAZINE and THE EASTBAY EXPRESS. Postino is located in a historic brick and slate-roofed Carr Jones designed former post office in downtown Lafayette. Inspired by the traditions of Italy with an American inclination, Postino delivers a seasonal menu using the finest local and imported ingredients. We serve the full menu at bar and have walk in tables available in the lounge and patio. Private rooms and banquet spaces seat 6 to 250.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Postino - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Postino reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (117)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (100)fit for foodies (96)great for outdoor dining (94)notable wine list (69)good for groups (66)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- DisappointedHoodieDined on 7/10/2014Postino had been recommended to us by friends in the neighborhood who have eaten there many times. We expected so much more! The wine list was the only exception to mediocrity on all levels. The food was passable at best. We shall not be returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- A special favorite spot.CopwifeDined on 7/6/2014We Don't come here often.... It's a special occasion place for us. But food is amazing and service is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hats off for getting it right!OnthegoDined on 7/3/2014This is a rare restaurant where you can find good food, wonderful service, good atmosphere and moderate noise where you can enjoy casual conversation. Hat's off to Postino!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014First of.all, I have not been to Postino in years since there are.so.many restaurants.in the area but after that awsome duck we wil be back. Everyone.enjoyed their meal. Fantistic food. Beautiful windows. Wonderful company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinnerCarolDined on 7/1/2014Everything is done to perfection at the charming Postino We were seated immediately, the staff was attentive without being helicopters and the food was excellent. The duck and hand made gnocchi were especial brilliant. This was one of our best dinners in the Bay Area! CarolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country ItalianPostinosplusDined on 6/29/2014Great food, very good service, nice atmosphere! The price for quality and flavor is right on point. This is a must go to place if you want to experience a taste of country Italy. From the excellent appetizers to the main dishes. And Duck, you have not had great duck until you've eaten here.Special Features:
- Very special place . . .lovesamsDined on 6/27/2014We truly enjoyed our dinning experience at Postino. Our waitress was a delight! The food is always outstanding. We celebrated my husbands birthday and it was perfect. Thank You Postino!! Linda & Jon MahlerSpecial Features:
- Wonderful variety of choicekwoodsVIPDined on 6/24/2014I have eaten at this restaurant multiple times and am impressed that every choice I've made have been excellent. Just enjoyed the Eggplant Parmesan-one of best I'm ever had. Also, the desserts are yummy-loved the S'more treat.Special Features:
- NomadDined on 6/24/2014Postino restaurant has been one of my favorite restaurants since I first went there, I believe in 2005. It offers many food choices and the quality of the food is fantastic! While there are a lot of tables, the noise level is held to a minimum so it's easy to have conversations while dining. My favorite dish is the eggplant parmesan and I order that most of the time. The restaurant has a beautiful atmosphere and the outdoor dining is very romantic!Special Features:
- Postino has never let me down!Mandy4meDined on 6/23/2014I have been going to Postino for years. Always great food and wonderful service. I recently had an old friend from out of town visiting, who travels all over the world on business, and is a total food and restaurant snob. When it came time to select a spot to have dinner, I considered the many "hot spots" that people talk about. But knowing Postino always has fabulous food and friendly, efficient service, I chose to take him there. We started with carpaccio and cocktails, then he had the halibut special of the day, and I had the salmon. Both excellent! A bottle of incredible Italian wine a treat as well! We then split a blueberry and peach galette which was divine! My friend raved about Postino! Quite a compliment coming from him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobvizz46Dined on 6/22/2014I took a couple of out-of-state friends for dinner. They were very impressed with food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal with friendsFernemDined on 6/21/2014First time at Postino but not the last. Four of us sat in a very pretty side room with an open door to the patio that gave us nice light and a charming view. The waiter was attentive and everyone liked their food. Two had the chef's special halibut and loved it, one had duck and was equally pleased and the chef made me a plate of wild rice and sauteed vegetables that was beautiful and tasty and much appreciated. We shared a fabulous galette for dessert and had a Russian River Pinot Grigio that the waiter helped us choose and was just as described. All in all, a really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobthecriticDined on 6/20/2014This is a restaurant that you can count on to to serve excellent food, provide a welcoming atmosphere and leave you with a satisfied smile on your face!
- Just expensiveShefDined on 6/18/2014My friend & I met for lunch, had 2 Asian chicken salads (modest portions) & 2 iced teas--$50 before tip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely dinnerhistorywomanDined on 6/15/2014Very good dinner. Great service. Good place for a special dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Fan But Really Disappointed.SalitosReviewVIPDined on 6/14/2014I eat at this restaurant all the time but this was the worst service experience I have ever had. Our waitress disappeared for long stretches when we needed more water, more bread, just service. They forgot our side vegetable and I had to chase her down to pay the bill after she ignored me frequently. I was very bummed because my usual experience is fantastic. I hope things get better.Special Features:
- ConsistancyOneHappyDinerDined on 6/14/2014I have eaten here numerous times and it always meets my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealcyclejimDined on 6/12/2014Postino seems to fly under the radar, but I am always pleasantly surprised by the food, wine and service. The hand rollled pasta with rabbit was one of the best that I have ever had, and I go out a lot. The Nebbiolo was a great match. The outdoor patio is great on a warm evening.Special Features:
- Celebrate at PostinoPattyVIPDined on 6/11/2014We were married at Postino 3 years ago, so we have been back each year to celebrate our wedding anniversary! Rick was our waiter and so attentive to everything! Chef Stewart made us rib eye steaks - Perfect! Thanks to the Postino crew for making a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014The ambiance at Postino's is very good as is the service and the food. The lunch menu could have more variety to choose from. I thought it odd that the restaurant did not provide a birthday dessert (most nice restraurants do) for our twins.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was everyone?foodluvrDined on 6/9/2014We were in the restaurant from 11:45 am to 1:45 pm. We wanted a serene setting to be allowed ample time to visit and not have to shout. We certainly had that experience. I am worried that with just our table for two and one other table for two occupied during the time we were there, how will the restaurant continue to serve lunch?Special Features:
- Spectacular experience!DoctorRVIPDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I enjoyed a outstanding meal this past Thursday night. Out waiter Brian was extremely helpful in guiding us through a menu that offered so many delicious sounding dishes it was hard to choose! We ended up sharing a Caesar salad and fresh tomato soup, both of which were very nice presentations. The standout to me however was the House-made "Pasta with Rabbit and Wild Mushrooms"! The broth was rich, flavorful and savory. My only problem will be not ordering the same dish over and over again! My wife's Salmon was also delicious and cooked to order. The fresh Blueberry / Peach Galette with White Chocolate Ice Cream was a perfect finish to a memorable dining experience!Special Features:
- fabulous experiencepk2917VIPDined on 6/1/2014So glad we tried it. Found it on opentable.com and tried it. It is my new favorite restaurant. Great ambience and food. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Lovely setting with wonderful food to boot. Standout dish for us was the short ribs and polenta. If you want to impress this place won't disappoint!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningSandyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Waiter was delightful. All of us enjoyed our dishes .. Fried chicken.. Lasgne.. Short Ribs... Risotto.. Busy Friday night and food came fast. Always our " go to restaurant"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!!BillVIPDined on 5/29/2014Postino is simply a restaurant you must visit. I have eaten there probably 25 times and every occasion is simply fantastic. The food, wine, service, and ambience is first rate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMWHealdsburgVIPDined on 5/27/2014Went for a wine tasting, then dinner. Having been there many times in the past we were very disappointed. An Italian restuarant who changed but not in a positive way. Not sure we'll be back soon.
- Lovely and TastydutchduoDined on 5/26/2014Our evening meal was delicious and the setting was beautiful. The tuna and mahi mahi (special) were both outstanding choices. We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the garden surroundings and warm weather. Almost felt like we were back in Europe.Special Features:
- First timeDriverjimDined on 5/25/2014Server: Nicole was fantastic. She had great timing. She left us alone and had perfect timing for when we needed, or wanted her. Hostess: I'm sorry I didn't remember her name, but she was great as well. I had screwed up my reservation (wrong month) and this young lady not only got us a table, she came back a few minutes later to tell us a booth would open up shortly. We sat at the bar and had a drink while we waited (10 min) for our table. Food: I had the Lasagnia and it was delicious. My wife had the ribs and as many have said, the meat falls off the bone. The only problem was my wife doesn't care for gnocchi. The gnocchi seemed to have a lot of butter. Overall it was a great experience and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningKsterDined on 5/25/2014We decided to try Postino's for our anniversary dinner and we were very pleased! The atmosphere was very nice, although I'd like to sit in one of the side rooms next time. The service and the food were exceptional. We were happy to see one of our favorite wines on the list so we ordered a half bottle. Then we split a delicious Caesar salad. I ordered the pasta with mushrooms and rabbit and my husband ordered the ravioli. I wasn't sure if I would like rabbit, but it was fantastic... I will ordered it again next time I go. My husband was pleased with his meal as well. We were too full for desert, but the menu looked very good. We have already recommended this restaurant to our family and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very European look & taste!Hvillegas3VIPDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I came here just to try something new and surprise...it was jus spectacular! Great service, amazing ambiance and incredible food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFoodies7Dined on 5/24/2014Was disappointed with our recent dinner at Postino. The food was just fair, not what we remembered it was two years ago when we were in town for a visit. Will probably not go back.
- Great Caesar Salad; Fish just OKmusemomDined on 5/24/2014Met at Postino's for a friend's birthday. My salad was very good -- but the fish special - halibut with some strange seasoning that I didn't care for - was not as good. I gave most of mine to my husband. It is a very lovely place for the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ambiance....GeeandChrsDined on 5/18/2014Spectacular ambiance! Gorgeous - inside and out! My husband ordered the duck, which was delicious. I had pasta with prawns. Pasta texture was a bit strange, like ramen noodles, but good. Three of us ordered the pasta and I was the only one to finish mine. The other two thought it was just ok. We ordered three desserts for our large party. They were good. I would definitely go back but would probably not order pasta again. Overall, good food, great service, and spectacular ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummm!PattyVIPDined on 5/16/2014Chef Stewart made a Salmon salad as the special that was so delicious! We celebrated a birthday, had great service, wonderful food and a fun time!Special Features:
- Pretty, but limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014Decor and ambiance are lovely, but menu choices at lunch were limited for someone looking for a low carb lunch. Service was quite slow.Special Features:
- Mother's Day dinner par excellence!Aye8greatDined on 5/11/2014Delightful restaurant for a special occasion. Lovely antipasti, wine list, entrée, and service. Not cheap but worth for the right time. Can be noisy at times.Special Features:
- Will Be Back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Food is very good. Wine list is not large, but reasonably priced.Special Features:
- My FavoritemkrincaDined on 5/11/2014Postinos has been my favorite restaurant since moving to East Bay. It has charming ambiance, great food, good value and service. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Postino's comes through againJakeDined on 5/11/2014I had not eaten at Postino's for some time but decided it would be a good place for Mother's day brunch. We showed up a bit early but were immediately seated. The service was very attentive. My daughter wanted an off the menu dish which was provided without the slightest hesitation. Our brunch plates were very well prepared (I have the duck breast sausage which was outstanding). I need to remember this place more often as a place to land. With the number of choices of excellent places to eat in the Central Contra Costa area, this one should stay near the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.