3565 Mt. Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9252998700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Nightly at 5:30PM Lunch Service M - F 11:30AM to 3:00PM Afternoon menu offered between
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Stewart Beatty
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With the holidays just around the corner we are pleased to offer five different spaces that provide a unique setting, which can be tailored to meet the needs of your event. All of our rooms are ideal for special celebrations as well as business events. Visit www.postinorestaurant.com for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Crotty 9252998700
A word from Postino
Winner of the Best Restaurant Awards from DIABLO MAGAZINE and THE EASTBAY EXPRESS. Postino is located in a historic brick and slate-roofed Carr Jones designed former post office in downtown Lafayette. Inspired by the traditions of Italy with an American inclination, Postino delivers a seasonal menu using the finest local and imported ingredients. We serve the full menu at bar and have walk in tables available in the lounge and patio. Private rooms and banquet spaces seat 6 to 250.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Postino - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Postino reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)romantic (122)great for outdoor dining (120)neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (97)notable wine list (65)good for groups (55)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (15)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Still good with some concerns.NewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 9/13/2014We were seated in a very noisy area. Had to shout to be heard over the next table. Next time we will ask for a quieter table. Food was good but waiter may have had an off day. Overall experience was still very good with reservations noted.Special Features:
- Outdoors delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014It was a warm but very pleasant evening in Lafayette. Our friends brought their puppy dog and we ate out on the patio. Nice music was playing, food was very good and the service was casual but appropriate. All and all, up to the (high)standards we have grown to expect from Postino. If you go, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good and it was nice to be someplace where we could carry on a conversation without raising our voices.Special Features:
- CelebrationlocalDined on 9/10/2014Great place for a special celebration. Wonderful server, quite booth, high enjoyment of food and environment.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingayeflyDined on 9/10/2014Postino is easy to get to and they offer free valet parking. The restaurant setting is great and the dining room is very nice with a wonderful ambiance. For a starter we ordered a "insalata cesare" and the "soup of the day". Both were EXCELLENT. For the main I ordered the braised short ribs - one of the specialties of the house - and they were very good. I would order them again. They came on a bed of mashed potatoes and I substituted green beans for the "English peas" with no problem. Both sides were good. However, my wife ordered the grilled half chicken. She loved all the sides but was NOT a fan of the chicken. It was "tough and chewy" Would we go back again? YES, but we would not order the chicken...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and sustainable italianwchinookDined on 9/9/2014The building and ambiance are great - cozy brick and wood, warm lighting. We enjoyed our meals - rich and creamy meat and starch dishes (duck w/ orzo, pasta w/rabbit). A little heavy on the salt, as such dishes tend to be in restaurants. The service was friendly and knowledgeable, particularly about the wine. It was fantastic that the server suggested I order a half pasta dish after my appetizer, unless I wanted to take some home. Downsides - service was slow, considering it was 6pm and it wasn't packed - we didn't see the server for 5-10 minutes after sitting down, and then didn't see the wine list (which we were underwhelmed by) until a bit after that. Also, no "drinks" menu other than the wine list, they said they're working on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionCosetteDined on 9/6/2014As always...ambience, food, servce, fabulous table...all were divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISHFJLPVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything was delicious!! We especially LOVED the pasta with the rabbit. The rabbit was so tender. EXCELLENT dish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerfoodie16Dined on 9/5/2014Charming setting with excellent food and service. Calamari was oust yet crisp outside. Caesar salad was very good. Duck entree was perfectly cooked. Garganelli with rabbit always is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceVineanddineVIPDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Postino and rate it outstanding in all areas. The service was fantastic. Our water glasses never got below 2 sips from the top. The waiter was very knowledgeable and guided us through the menu. I had the heirloom tomato salad and duck breast for entree both dishes were excellent. My wife enjoyed the caesar salad and clams. Both of her dishes were outstanding. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff treat you as if you were royalty. We will be back and this might become one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Lovely gathering placeVallartachicDined on 9/5/2014We have been to Postinos on several occasions to reconnect with friends who we haven't seen in a while. The food is fabulous and the staff is always pacient while we chat, catch up, and delay ordering because we are too busy talking!! The menu is varied and staff knowledgeable. And the wine list is great as well! Always a nice welcoming place to dinbe.Special Features:
- Bad all way aroundBigmanDined on 8/31/2014Service was terrible, unfocused , food was terrible from soup to nuts. Pizzete had giant chunks of uncooked figs, margarita was given to my 15 year old son. Wife's rizzoto had frozen rock hard chicken breast, my short ribs were not tender, dessert was average oh well $300 down the drain!!
- Consistently excellentthoughtoDined on 8/30/2014We've been to Postino about a dozen times and have had a great experience every time (date night, rehearsal dinner, etc). The menu changes seasonally which forces us to try new things each time and we have yet to try something that wasn't spectacular. The wait staff is friendly, knowledgable and professional. The ambiance is romantic, yet still comfortable. Postino is a great place for foodies that don't want to make the trek to the ctiy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Junior varsity team serverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014Server forgot one entree for person ordering 2 of them after long conversation about it during ordering. Server accidentally poured sparkling water into mixed drink and brought back new cocktail from bar promptly but only half full. Seriously? And after all that only took off the bill the cost of one salad. Do yourself a favor walk across the street to Rustic.
- Aftern theatre dinner1lemonlvrDined on 8/30/2014Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. I felt they where too egger to get our salads to us. We had just gotten our cocktail when the salad arrived. My entrée was disappointing. It sounded interesting. Ahi with a warm potato salad with bacon. The Ahi had little flavor and was cold and on top of the heated potato salad took over the dish. My friend ordered the Pork Rib. It was tasty. The dessert to seemed to try too hard. A blackberry Crème Brulee with a thyme cookie. The flavors just didn't work. I would go back, but definitely would order something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of LafayetteJohnBarbDined on 8/30/2014Postino has been a staple for sometime now in Lafayette. It has consistently been our favorite. Food, service and ambiance...it has it all. The food was exceptional this last visit. We had the pork chop, special fish and the lasagna. All dishes very tasty to the palate. Great service and the wine list has all you need to compliment you meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had a "caprese" salad but the cheese was not fresh. the bread was good and the main dish==a special of baked cod was very good. Service was "ok" overall not bad, and outdoors dining looked nice but we were inside/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Very busy night, but outside dining was very nice.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We have lived in the area 14 years but never tried Postino based on mixed reviews we had heard and read. Decided to try it anyway at last. For the price, a very good selection. Very good meat lasagna, excellent clam dish, excellent cod. Excellent deserts, very accommodating service. We sat inside; had the feel of a French country estate. The three of us left full, fully satisfied, and with a few leftovers for $170 plus tip. Compared to places we have been recently paying more or much more, this compared very favorably. We wlll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/25/2014One of the best restaurants I have found in northern CA. Don't miss this place from first course to dessert it was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining InsideAlbqDined on 8/24/2014While I have visited Postino before, we attended 3 private functions and had cocktails outside, it was my first dining experience inside for dinner!! We loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. I had the tuna and it was just wonderful, the Burrata was shared & awesome, other dishes were eggplant, chicken and Garganelli (rabbit, sausage, mushrooms & pasta). All the dishes were wonderful!! Will look forward to returning as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CorvettetonyDined on 8/19/2014Postino was consistent as usual. The food doesn't knock your socks off but is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a nice lunchKhatonVIPDined on 8/19/2014It was beautiful out and we sat in the courtyard. We just had a small lunch which was the Caprese. It was very good except it could have had more dressing and basil. Some of the tomatoes were so delicious.Special Features:
- Charm in LafayetteKathysVIPDined on 8/18/2014Seven of us had an excellent birthday celebration dinner at Postino. The rabbit gargenelli and the eggplant parmesan were particularly good. It was a little difficult to make conversation across the table as the room we were in was quite noisy. One of the side rooms might be better.Special Features:
- Good spot for AnniversaryTA43Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had a great time celebrating our anniversary at Postino. We had a nice, intimate table. We ordered and served our drinks quickly. Food was great. We tried lasagna and braised short ribs. Both were really well crafted. Service was efficient but not overbearing. We will return.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner with friendsFernemDined on 8/14/2014We took some out of town, Brooklyn, houseguests to Postino and had a really good meal. Our waiter, Brian Cooley, was fantastic. He was incredibly knowledgeable about the food and made a great Russian River wine recommendation for us as well. The restaurant is very pretty and the service in general was attentive without being over the top. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum- Excellent ServiceDeniseVIPDined on 8/11/2014We had never been here, but were told it was excellent. It was. In addition, because we have a hearing impaired friend, they sat us at a quieter table. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Anniversary Dinner!wineanddineDined on 8/9/2014Postino is already one of our favorite restaurants and our anniversary dinner was as expected - great service, ambiance and food. Highly recommend for couples and/or groups.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningMollybDined on 8/7/2014We celebrated a birthday at Postino this week. The service was excellent, attentive but not hovering. The cake I ordered was as requested. We had calamari which was a special. It was the best I have had in ages. If you don't want a traditional dinner, there are many options for lighter dining. Postino is great for special occasions. However we aren't waiting for an event. We will be back next week.Special Features:
- UmmmmmmTotoDined on 8/4/2014I have eaten at Postino before several times, but always for dinner. Dinners were very good, and the setting is lovely. But the lunch menu is not enticing. The three salads offered the addition of a grilled chicken breast or bit of salmon. I had the chicken breast, which I suspect was frozen, then thawed with gentle boiling, then seared for flavor, as it had a rubbery texture. It also had a good deal of skin, which meant the fat was lurking in those skin folds, and the nubbin of a wing left in place made it look large, but in fact, reduced the size. The special salad was soft shell crab, an eastern crab, that is not in season right now. Obviously, I declined that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Romantic DinnerLovebirdsVIPDined on 8/3/2014We had a very pleasant experience at this romantic restaurant. Perfect table, excellent service, great food. Just the best of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent dinner and service. I will recommend your restaurant to othersI would recommend this to a friend.
- Another solid mealbillsVIPDined on 8/2/2014Took my family out with my father and his wife. They are retired and in their 80's and we drove down to pick them up at their home in Lafayette. There are a number of good to very good options in Lafayettte and Postino is one of the very good options. We started with Calamari and bruschetta for the table. Very good choices, well constructed and presented .. Dinner choices ranged from the salmon to chicken to short ribs, to risotto to me with the delicious ribeye. A nice bottle of Miner Chardonnay and a Seghesio Zin by the glass for my steak. Excellent dessert for our son and coffees and Cappuchino's completed a great meal. Loved the valet parking which helped with the older members of our party who don't get around as well. We'll return!Special Features:
- Best In Walnut Creek/Lafayettewooly1Dined on 8/1/2014This is the best restaurant in Walnut Creek/Lafayette. I've been coming here for almost 15 years...for reference, I've also eaten at high-end all over CA, USA, and Europe. 5-star for Diablo Valley; 3-1/2 world-wide. Raw food quality is excellent; preparation is always excellent; service is excellent. If you like the menu, you will like the food.Special Features:
- gazpachoDined on 7/30/2014I have been to Postino many times. My niece and a friend from Venezuela were visiting me in Orinda. We had a great time and a very goo meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner!QuietVIPDined on 7/28/2014My wife and I chose Postino to celebrated a special event because, when we had gone in the past, we found it a perfect setting for a quiet -and delicious- dinner. Nothing has changed except, perhaps, that the service is even BETTER than it was in the past. We each had salads (fresh, ample and tasty) and shared a rib-eye steak that was cooked to perfection -steak knives not needed. We tasted and then chose a moderately priced wine that perfectly rounded things off. Even after a group of "conversationalists" were seated nearby, Postino is quiet enough to enjoy a fine meal and each others company.Special Features:
- Amazing X 3ZmanDined on 7/27/2014Amazing food, amazing ambiance, and amazing (truly) service! Nothing more to be said...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Real -- not pretentious. Delicious, innovative food & attentive service in a relaxing environment.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Postino showed us a very nice table for a b'day dinner for 8 adults. Especially enjoyed the short ribs and salmon. Liked the energy of the restaurant and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGMoleDined on 7/17/2014The ambiance is wonderful . . . the food delicious . . . the service friendly and fast . . . what more could you ask from a neighborhood gem like Postino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.