555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: (202) 783-6060
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - firstname.lastname@example.org, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - email@example.com.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)great for outdoor dining (82)special occasion (61)good for groups (53)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (48)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (36)hot spot (35)romantic (32)notable wine list (25)late-night find (14)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- The service was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/10/2008The service was terrible. First, they forgot about us waiting at the bar. Second, it took about 15 mins after we were seated to get a waiter to show up. He asked us what kind of water we wanted and then disappeared. When he came back he asked us what we wanted to drink, but hadn't brought our waters. He came back a couple mins later with our waters but our drinks took a while. We placed our orders and our appetizers came about 10 mins later (about normal for salads). We finished our salads in about 15 mins and then waited about 40 mins for our entres, which came right after we complained to the manager, who gave us a differnt excuse from the one our waiter had offered up only minutes before. Fortunately the entre's were good to very good.
- The food was fantastic, andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2008The food was fantastic, and the service was very friendly but quite slow. By all means, go there for a great meal but not if you have somewhere to be soon afterwards!Special Features:
- Service needs some work, andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2008Service needs some work, and the food was not that great, the atmosphere was nice, but not nice enough to overcome shaky service and just ok food.
- Nice ambiance. Weather preventedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2008Nice ambiance. Weather prevented our party from enjoying outdoor dining, unfortunately. Very limited entree options and of the two entrees that were not salads or sandwiches (that includes burgers), one was not being offered. That's a bit too limited, even for a brasserie. A bit too pricey for the entrees, too.
- Some of the entrees were aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/9/2008Some of the entrees were a bit pricey for lunch. We will return for the great pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- The restaurant is very nice,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2008The restaurant is very nice, loud but still enjoyable. We would most likely return.Special Features:
- The food was excellent butkatemallDined on 5/8/2008The food was excellent but the service was terrific. I told Elijah that I was having a business breakfast and he took such wonderful care of me and my guests. I'll be back!!Special Features:
- The food at Poste is exquisite,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/7/2008The food at Poste is exquisite, but the service is abysmal! We had to wait 15 minutes to be seated in a half-empty restaurant, it took 3 tries to have a glass of water, and we had a hostess who was both rude, and could barely read the menu to explain the schedule. Overall, I just got the idea that they did care about my experience.Special Features:
- I love Poste, but do offerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2008I love Poste, but do offer a suggestion. For a restaurant in the middle of downtown, ripe for business lunches, it could have more dishes on the lunch menu that can be more gracefully eaten before people. Sandwiches, with which the lunch menu is heavy, are tough to eat while making deals and discussing business. Salads, soups and other dishes that avoid having to eat with one's hands would make such meals less awkward.Special Features:
- The food is pretentious butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2008The food is pretentious but not tasty. The prices seem inflated to give you the impression that you're getting something good. We had to wait at the bar for our table and the bartender ignored us until just before our table was finally ready (even though there was no one else at the bar), totally defeating the purpose of waiting at the bar. Our server, though friendly, did a poor job of anticipating our needs or following through on our requests; we asked for lemon for our water and never got it, when one person ordered a drink she took off before asking the other if they also wanted one, a glass of wine was asked to be brought with the entree and it didn't show up until the dish was nearly gone. The restaurant was empty so I don't get it.
- Our waiter mixed up our mealsdukeprincessVIPDined on 5/5/2008Our waiter mixed up our meals and we had to constantly ask him for refills. He seemed annoyed when we asked him, which I found to be a bit offensive. He wasn't very attentive to us at all. However, the food was good, but the service wasn't that great and could use improvement.Special Features:
- very good food, but regrettablyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2008very good food, but regrettably slow in getting food from kitchen--about an hour and a half as I recall from the order to the main course. (No falut of the wsitress, who was just fine.) They did offer free dessert as an apology (we had other plans otherwise we would certainly have accepted). Wine list seemed to me overpriced, but overall bill (for three, including tip) not bad. I would dine there again; hope the kitchen were a little more efficient on that night.Special Features:
- My reservation for 1:45 wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/4/2008My reservation for 1:45 was not honored, even though the restaurant was only half full. I had made a request, in the reservation, for a table outside and had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. By that time, the brunch menu had closed, but no one on staff told us of the 2 pm cut off. The bar menu we were presented with had items on it that were no longer available. Our server took over two hours to complete the lunch service, even though we were the only table left by the time we sat down. Our table was dirty and the linen was never replaced. It was clear that service was not a priority. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone, and I will tell anyone that asks that this was the single worst dining experience I've had in D.C.
- I recently went here for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2008I recently went here for brunch and was very impressed. Everyone I was with enjoyed their food and the drinks were great as well. Price is pretty reasonable, especially for that area, where its typically $30+ for brunch. This was reasonable, with each person spending around $15 (not including drinks). Huge outdoor seating area, but inside is nice too. I've heard they are great for happy hour and I will definitely be back for brunch.Special Features:
- We sat in a corner just offSEGdcDined on 5/3/2008We sat in a corner just off the doorway leading from one section of the restaurant to the other, so it was hard to fully appreciate the lovely decor & ambiance. The location seemed a bit noisier than other areas. Our server had a lovely personality, but needed a bit more training. He never came back to see how we were doing & never asked if we wanted more wine. Also, when asked for suggestions, he didn't offer clear enough direction, saying everything was good. He did, however, suggest a nice wine to compliment our entrees. We all felt he could have use more training to make the dining experience perfect. In a front/back of the house waiting system it is imperative that the "front" keep coming back so diners know the "face" of the place.Special Features:
- It was a nice evening--weOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/3/2008It was a nice evening--we arrived late for our reservation, but Poste kindly accommodated us. The food was great, the service was helpful and timely (food arrived at appropriate times for conversation). We had some -very minor- complaints (the light at our table was out; the bar couldn't make a certain drink) but *nothing* that would prevent us from coming back or recommending to friends. Excellent ambiance, too.Special Features:
- Poste is a good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2008Poste is a good but not great restaurant. The food is good and features some unique dishes but it is not one of the top 25 restaurants in DC. The best thing the restaurant has going for it is the building. The courtyard of the building is a great space to eat in spring / summmer / fall. The restaurant also has a great beer and wine selection.Special Features:
- My favorite place for a casualOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2008My favorite place for a casual and delicious lunch downtown (w/business associates or friends). Good place to talk privately. Great food and service.Special Features:
- I had never eaten at PosteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/30/2008I had never eaten at Poste but it was recommended by a colleague. I had my former college roommate with me whom I hadn't seen in 10 years, so it was a special occasion. The food was outstanding and our waiter was terrific-- very helpful with recommendations. The beef bourguinon was like butter--really, so tender. And the rice pudding was wonderful. I'll definitely go back if I have the chance, and recommend it too.Special Features:
- The service was a bit slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/30/2008The service was a bit slow, but very friendly. Loved the yellowtail appetizer. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- This is one of my absoluteHeidiCVIPDined on 4/30/2008This is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. The food is always locally sourced and fresh, and you can taste it.Special Features:
- The food is very good buttingoldVIPDined on 4/29/2008The food is very good but the noise is quite loud - especially if the terrace is closed [it was cold]. Waiter did not notice one knife was missing and not around to replace it.Special Features:
- We had some of the most unusualMollySFDined on 4/29/2008We had some of the most unusual food I've had in a long time, rating right up there with some of the best New York restaurants. I have now been three times, and each meal has been special and very satisfying.Special Features:
- Poste was a terrible valueFlyingSuzVIPDined on 4/27/2008Poste was a terrible value considering the cost. The hostess was rude, the portions were small and the food was really unexceptional. The wait staff were very attentive but it could not make up for the food. When we mentioned that one dish was over-salted, they didn't even react. We would not go back or recommend it except perhaps for a drink on the patio--if you were already in the neighborhood.
- Poste had the makings of aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008Poste had the makings of a great night out, but the service was horrible. When we arrived, we had to wait 10 minutes before a hostess arrived to greet us-and it was not because there were tons of people waiting to be seated. The restaurant and bar were fairly dead when we arrived. I found it even more telling that there were two bar tenders standing right near us, chatting away, and they never spoke to us as we blatantly were confused about how we should check in when the hostess didn't seem to be returning any time soon. Our food took about 45 minutes to arrive and our waiter didn't check in on us during the interim. He was too busy focused on the tables that were ordering a lot more food and drink even though our bill was over $100.Special Features:
- Excellent menu, not overdone.TheWhizDined on 4/26/2008Excellent menu, not overdone. Several hidden gems and supportive wait staff to point them out.Special Features:
- Bathroom on third floor aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008Bathroom on third floor a bit out of the way. Building is fabulous. Furniture in outdoor space quite cool.
- The maitre D and waiters wereANGRVIPDined on 4/25/2008The maitre D and waiters were very welcoming and solicitous. The french fries were delicious, we had some wieght concious people who enjoyed them so much they had 2 servings and didn;t care about the calories!Special Features:
- Excellent food; creative combinatioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2008Excellent food; creative combinations without being weird or intimidating. Outstanding.Special Features:
- The weather was perfect, whichJudyDined on 4/25/2008The weather was perfect, which added to our enjoyment of dining outside. We were there for the pre=theater dinner, so it was crowded with young after-work drinkers. Dinner was great and dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- I hate to say it, but we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2008I hate to say it, but we were very disappointed at Poste. After wanting to dine at Poste for several months now, we were left feeling overcharged and completely unimpressed. On a good note, the rolls were fantastic. But from there it was all downhill. The service was terrible. The waiter failed to put our order in with the kitchen, and avoided us for at least 30-40 minutes, leaving us without answers. He never came over to explain why we were the only table not being served. A manager finally came over, but by then it was certainly too late. Once we received the food, it was disappointing. It was bland, and given the complete lack of flavor and technique, was far overpriced.Special Features:
- The host - Leon - was verybucklVIPDined on 4/24/2008The host - Leon - was very accomodating and set a great tone for the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent and personable service;VAinVADined on 4/24/2008Excellent and personable service; server knew the menu well and could explain ingredients and preparation methods. Comfortable booth with pillows for us shorter folks. Well-organized wine list with offering in many price ranges. Food was very good and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Extremely over-priced; smallOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/24/2008Extremely over-priced; small entree portion -- ($23 for an entree of six tiny ravioli!). Sophomoric service; chaotic.Special Features:
- The parker house rolls wereOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/23/2008The parker house rolls were outstanding. The service was very attentive. They really do make one of the best burgers anywhere in town.Special Features:
- This is an excellent hotelbetterbegoodDined on 4/23/2008This is an excellent hotel restaurant. I chose it this time because I knew it was one place with excellent food and drink and also quiet enough for my father (deafer than he'll admit) to participate in conversation. I've never been disappointed at Poste.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful anniversaryMLAinDCDined on 4/22/2008We had a wonderful anniversary dinner, the 5 course tasting menu with accompanying wines. Having wines picked by the chef for each course was a revelation for me. Service was friendly and attentive, and chef was very accomodating to my request to substitute something (anything!) for the rabbit entree in the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Disappointingly few vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2008Disappointingly few vegetarian options. Brioche sandwich was tasty but greasy. Fries were tough rather than crispy, and tepid. (Are they frozen and not fresh??) Will not likely return soon.
- I was very disappointed inNishaDined on 4/20/2008I was very disappointed in the service. 1) Our table was set for 2 instead of 3. After 3 attempts to get the waitress to bring us some utensils, we were finally able to get one of the managers to bring it to us. 2) The little jar of jam that was brought to our table was open, and when we asked that it be replaced multiple times from our waitress, it was never brought. Once again, the manager had to bring it over. 3) I ordered the omelette, but specifically asked the waitress if it could be made with peppers or onions instead of mushrooms since I am allergic to them. The omelette came with the mushrooms and had to be sent back. 4) When we asked for water, the waitress filled our glasses only a quarter, it seemed, so we would leave.
- Our server was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2008Our server was very good, but the people bringing the dishes from the kitchen didn't really have their acts together - had to remind them that there were still side dishes to deliver ("oh, I didn't see that"), and not all the entrées came out at once. Otherwise, a very nice brunch.Special Features: