555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: (202) 783-6060
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - firstname.lastname@example.org, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - email@example.com.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (61)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (49)vibrant bar scene (49)great for lunch (40)great for brunch (34)hot spot (34)romantic (32)notable wine list (24)late-night find (15)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/23/2014We went for brunch and were not impressed. The doughnuts were good but WAY overpriced. The crab benedict only had crab in the sauce and very little at that. Service was friendly but poorly paced. We won't be returning anytime soon.
- Why haven't I been here before?CapsFan25VIPDined on 11/22/2014Great spot!! I guess the pricing scared me away in the past, but it wasn't as steep as I'd expected. Food, bar, ambiance, service... all absolutely first rate! Great spot before a Caps game, or any time! I'll be back, you can bet on that!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodfoodieDined on 11/20/2014Very creative dishes, nice atmosphere, lovely outside seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great recommendationLive2eatDined on 11/19/2014So, I was told by some friends a new chef had taken over and I should go check out Poste. Thankfully, I wasn't steered wrong. Duck & gnocchi was spot on and got a great recommendation on a wine to wash it all down. They're putting out some great food. I didn't walk away starving or in a food coma! I will definitely go back and bring some friends along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dissapointmentklaviermanDined on 11/16/2014Though the setting in this part of town and the entrance made this restaurant seem appealing the culinary experience was anything but. The service was quite slow but the servers friendly. The cheese plate for its price was quite meager and the olive spread rather salty. The main items we ordered were very unexceptional. Again, the price for the quantity and quality was way too high.
- Great food, great service, great time!whitneyc1984Dined on 11/15/2014I was in DC for my future sister in laws bachelorette party. When we arrived, we were 5 minutes late and the hostess said, "It's ok, we have been expecting you. No big deal, it's 5 minutes" We get to the table and our waiter was so nice. We had never been to Poste, and our friend Brandt had made the reservation, so we didn't know what to expect haha! He had ordered us a bottle of champagne which was excellent, and the waiter suggested a couple of things. We had the truffle frites (which were delectable), the mussels (cooked perfectly, truffle mac and cheese (so creamy and delicious), and the tuna tartare (I'm drooling thinking about that dish right now). All of it was EXCELLENT!! WE could not have asked for a better dining experience!Special Features:
- VIPDinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Chef Kyoo Eom is just outstanding, The service is spectacular. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice pre-theatre experienceSoonerRicoVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our third time and the best so far. The truffle fries totally rule but the Steak Frites with the au poivrade sauce was a close second. The steak was perfectly cooked, tender and juicy. The server made a great suggestion on a claret to go with the meal so we were very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and good serviceHopebscDined on 11/9/2014Thank you so much for amazing food and very good service. All my friends and I enjoyed delicious food. I would highly recommend "POSTE", and I will eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationPamsbdayDined on 11/9/2014Ryan our server was incredible and his recommendations were delicious! A little disappointed that the restaurant did not acknowledge my friends birthday and I specifically made a note about it while placing the reservation on open table. Restaurant was great at accommodating a last minute increase and guest arriving s little late. We were very appreciative. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The food was subpar and our waitress was sweet but very, very slow. She had a large section she was responsible for but was very late helping us out. We purchased bottomless mimosas and often times had to rely on other servers to fill us out. She also took so long getting our check we were late to our movie. Probably would not dine here again.Special Features:
- Disappointing brunchRichmondFoodieVIPDined on 11/9/2014I've been to Poste many times before during stays at the Hotel Monaco, and this was a very disappointing brunch. I had the Eggs benedict/Atlantic with smoked salmon, and the poached eggs were very cold, as was the English muffin. The whole dish tasted as if it had been pre-made and came from the refrigerator. The rosti potato "sticks" were a nice twist, and were piping hot, so it was as if the two items on the plate were cooked at completely different times. With so many other restaurants in the neighborhood, I'll likely go elsewhere on our next trip to DC.
- Fantastic PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Awesome food and fantastic service. Will definitely go again. Can't wait to enjoy the outside lounge area with smores!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth spending time at PosteCostisVIPDined on 11/7/2014We enjoy good food and good eating experiences. Poste was neither. Our table was in a grungy, uninteresting side room, the service unhelpful and the food uninspiring. A crab salad was flat and mild to the point of being forgotten in the palate, a glazed eggplant dish simply had no interesting flavors nor spices, and the desert menu I asked for failed to materialize, a fact that went over the waiter's head. Their steak frites was almost inedible and sad looking. There seem to be many people congregating about outside the restaurant and in the main eating area, so someone must have been having some fun, but it could not have been for the food...
- Verizon GemSienaItalyVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great created food and wonderful wine list a few steps from a Caps or Wizards game. They can be efficient with their service but not over packed like many of the other restaurants are on game nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2014Food was well prepared, but nothing stood out. Service was attentive and fast. Overall experience was good, definitely would recommend for brunch.Special Features:
- so soTmo2013VIPDined on 11/2/2014service was super slow for brunch (what's the point of bottomless brunch when you can't find your server. truffle fries were soggy, steak was good. replace your booths - how is it possible that there are such bad cracks in the leather that you could actually rip your clothes... come on.
- Tibbs85Dined on 11/2/2014Was my second time here and had a great time. I came a little before brunch started but the chef was nice enough us order from the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant near VerizonReviewRealDined on 10/31/2014The proximity to the Verizon center is great - the food was good american food - the waiter was harried and not very friendly that would be my only complaint - the bar was a little slow at service, which should be their number one priority since it was packed. A nice outdoor area with a fire pitSpecial Features:
- WorldtasterDined on 10/31/2014Great location for pre-Verizon events, good food & educated service. Wait is a bit too long for the number of tables served. Outside events are great & highly recommend Chief's Table.Special Features:
- Solid high-end dining experience.EatItUpDined on 10/28/2014The food is top-notch, the restaurant and hotel are elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!susansonVIPDined on 10/25/2014Poste is consistently delicious and the chef is very creative with foods and flavors that work quite well together. This is a great place for a pre-Verizon Center show dinner, or just a great meal. The menu is varied but they seem to do a great job with everything on it. I recommend it - one of my favorites - and they have valet parking which makes going to the show afterwards very easy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Hefty PriceArohiVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food was phenomenally cooked, however, for how much we paid, the quantity was not that great. I left still hungry and with quite a large check. The service was great though. Diego took great care of us.Special Features:
- Little GlamChantalDined on 10/18/2014The outside dining is the heart of this restaurant. Unfortunately this wasn't possible. Inside dining is extremely flat in terms of ambience. However, the food is good.Special Features:
- guest1155carlosDined on 10/11/2014guest was satify with the food and service, thank you so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Great food and service was wonderful. Host took 30 min to get us a table even though we made an appt ahead so that wasn't too nice but we passed time at the barSpecial Features:
- Superb/ needs some improvementSFFoodie60Dined on 10/8/2014New chef. A more " contempory cuisine". Crab salad was delightful. Halibut entree was superb but could have been served more temperature hot. Good wine. Good service. However when I was told they don't serve ice cream, I was not offered another dessert. Great music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently lovelyTravelerDined on 10/3/2014The classy atmosphere at Poste is excellent for a business dinner, or a night out with friends, and the menu is wonderful. Our server was friendly, polite, and prompt. I thoroughly enjoyed the delicious slow-roasted salmon main course I had recently, and always adore the fantastic truffle fries.Special Features:
- Accessible!JEinDCVIPDined on 10/3/2014I was thrilled to learn that, on my elec. scooter, I can get to and into Poste. IF the patio were crowded, I'm unsure if that would be possible - can't imagine that many people being willing to move. Surprised that the restaurant didn't take that into account w/ the ramp they built. Breakfast was good - not outstanding. I had an omelet that was lack-luster - no style and more like flat egg folded over. Something prettier might have been nice. Our server, Jennifer, was outstanding. I'll return mainly for the convenience of a good place for bkfast meetings.Special Features:
- Great food, quick servicefalthDined on 9/27/2014There is a huge place to eat outside, if you like that. It was a little bit on the expensive side, but about on par with other brunch in Washington. Most importantly about the price though, was that I think the food was definitely worth it. I really liked the variety in the menu as well. Half the reason I actually chose this place was because they had doughnuts as an appetizer. They were the best doughnuts I ever had, hands down. Oh, and the waiter was really nice, and gave us a little extra. Not much else to say, I would recommend this place, and will eat there again myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flopDined on 9/20/2014ive been to Poste for happy hour plenty of times and really like the environment as well as some of their small plates. however, our dinner was rather poor overall. every dish was mediocre at best. while the presentation was nice and the prices certainly make you expect fine dining, once you dig into the plate, you are disappointed as the food just doesn't meet your expectations. I would never go back to eat there again. however, this is a nice place for happy hour!
- Close to Shakespeare TheatreChevyDanDined on 9/20/2014Had dinner here before theater. Nice selections for vegetarians as well as carnivores. Very nice wine by the glass list. Salade with Beet Tartare was delicious as was the duck breast. Several rooms with different sound levels so you get to have your pick. Very nice looking outdoor patio that we didn't sit in.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/20/2014Went to Poste for brunch. My order, eggs benedict, was luke warm upon arrival and the potatoes were in the fyer too long. My dining companion ordered the large breakfast but the order arrived without the fruit or the roasted potatoes - only the eggs, bacon and croissant. We had to go find the server to find the rest of our breakfast. We had to ask multiple times for one coffee refill and had to poach creamer from another table. The restaurant wasn't very busy but the service was incredibly slow.
- Great for Business LunchSciviasDined on 9/19/2014Good food. Always consistent. You can talk. The service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous & Special AnniversaryDCfoodie12VIPDined on 9/18/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at Poste since we had our first date there. It was fantastic. I've always loved Poste, but our experience was above and beyond any experience I've had at any other restaurant. Our server was also a sommelier and recommended a truly unique bottle of wine that we loved! Our meal was excellent - we ordered the filet and duck, which they thoughtfully split for us so we each had a serving of filet and duck! They also brought us charcuterie on the house, which was delicious. Thank you so much for making our special evening as perfect as it could've been!Special Features:
- Always Reliable PosteRichDined on 9/14/2014I know that "reliable" sounds something like "kissing your cousin", but it also allows you to choose Poste for a special occasion and know that you won't be disappointed. This was a Sunday evening anniversary celebration. The crowd was light, and we were seated promptly. Theo, our server, helped us select some excellent entrees and a nice wine to pair. Our food appeared promptly and was delightful to enjoy. Special hint: the crispy goat cheese in the beet-and-kale salad is a little nugget of goodness. All in all, an evening enjoyably spent. You can rely on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cheers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014wonderful service! matched the food! cheers to the chef!Special Features:
- Great food...great surroundingsDineoutalotVIPDined on 9/12/2014Just adore this restaurant and enjoyed introducing 5 friends to it! The food is outstanding, the service fabulous and eating outside in the courtyard a delight on gorgeous evenings. A little noisy due to the thriving bar scene, but still the charms outweigh that one detracting element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Hits and small missesMichaelVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a restaurant that flows out from a hotel but it's far more than a hotel-restaurant. It's modern décor is dramatic if a little disjointed. It must have a dynamic bar scene since a good part of the space is dedicated to it. The open-air lounge is inviting. The menu is not extensive but interesting. The escargot were a little dry (lacking ample juices); beat salad very fine. Beef cheeks very tasty; the rib-eye was small, thin, and not worth the $31. Our server steered us poorly on our first bottle of red due to mischaracterization (thin but tasty); the second (our choice) was much better and in-line with our specs. So: mixed feelings on the experience. Would we go back? Perhaps. We will rely more directly on the sommelier next time.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We celebrated Hubby's birthday. I originally sat us outside, which had a nice courtyard/bar ambiance but when Hubby got there after me he found it too warm and they were incredibly gracious about moving us inside, which was sleek and elegant with plenty of room between tables and booths. The dinners were truly great: we started with oysters, he got steak frites and I got the filet mignon with creamed spinach. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the foods and the wine list, and described our chosen wines to a T. I was surprised that the place wasn't more packed on a Friday night.Special Features: