555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2027836060x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - firstname.lastname@example.org, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - email@example.com.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (96)fit for foodies (76)special occasion (55)great for lunch (48)vibrant bar scene (42)great for brunch (38)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (34)romantic (31)notable wine list (24)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Little GlamChantalDined on 10/18/2014The outside dining is the heart of this restaurant. Unfortunately this wasn't possible. Inside dining is extremely flat in terms of ambience. However, the food is good.Special Features:
- guest1155carlosDined on 10/11/2014guest was satify with the food and service, thank you so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Great food and service was wonderful. Host took 30 min to get us a table even though we made an appt ahead so that wasn't too nice but we passed time at the barSpecial Features:
- Superb/ needs some improvementSFFoodie60Dined on 10/8/2014New chef. A more " contempory cuisine". Crab salad was delightful. Halibut entree was superb but could have been served more temperature hot. Good wine. Good service. However when I was told they don't serve ice cream, I was not offered another dessert. Great music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014The classy atmosphere at Poste is excellent for a business dinner, or a night out with friends, and the menu is wonderful. Our server was friendly, polite, and prompt. I thoroughly enjoyed the delicious slow-roasted salmon main course I had recently, and always adore the fantastic truffle fries.Special Features:
- Accessible!JEinDCVIPDined on 10/3/2014I was thrilled to learn that, on my elec. scooter, I can get to and into Poste. IF the patio were crowded, I'm unsure if that would be possible - can't imagine that many people being willing to move. Surprised that the restaurant didn't take that into account w/ the ramp they built. Breakfast was good - not outstanding. I had an omelet that was lack-luster - no style and more like flat egg folded over. Something prettier might have been nice. Our server, Jennifer, was outstanding. I'll return mainly for the convenience of a good place for bkfast meetings.Special Features:
- Great food, quick servicefalthDined on 9/27/2014There is a huge place to eat outside, if you like that. It was a little bit on the expensive side, but about on par with other brunch in Washington. Most importantly about the price though, was that I think the food was definitely worth it. I really liked the variety in the menu as well. Half the reason I actually chose this place was because they had doughnuts as an appetizer. They were the best doughnuts I ever had, hands down. Oh, and the waiter was really nice, and gave us a little extra. Not much else to say, I would recommend this place, and will eat there again myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flopDined on 9/20/2014ive been to Poste for happy hour plenty of times and really like the environment as well as some of their small plates. however, our dinner was rather poor overall. every dish was mediocre at best. while the presentation was nice and the prices certainly make you expect fine dining, once you dig into the plate, you are disappointed as the food just doesn't meet your expectations. I would never go back to eat there again. however, this is a nice place for happy hour!
- Close to Shakespeare TheatreChevyDanDined on 9/20/2014Had dinner here before theater. Nice selections for vegetarians as well as carnivores. Very nice wine by the glass list. Salade with Beet Tartare was delicious as was the duck breast. Several rooms with different sound levels so you get to have your pick. Very nice looking outdoor patio that we didn't sit in.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/20/2014Went to Poste for brunch. My order, eggs benedict, was luke warm upon arrival and the potatoes were in the fyer too long. My dining companion ordered the large breakfast but the order arrived without the fruit or the roasted potatoes - only the eggs, bacon and croissant. We had to go find the server to find the rest of our breakfast. We had to ask multiple times for one coffee refill and had to poach creamer from another table. The restaurant wasn't very busy but the service was incredibly slow.
- Great for Business LunchSciviasDined on 9/19/2014Good food. Always consistent. You can talk. The service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous & Special AnniversaryDCfoodie12VIPDined on 9/18/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at Poste since we had our first date there. It was fantastic. I've always loved Poste, but our experience was above and beyond any experience I've had at any other restaurant. Our server was also a sommelier and recommended a truly unique bottle of wine that we loved! Our meal was excellent - we ordered the filet and duck, which they thoughtfully split for us so we each had a serving of filet and duck! They also brought us charcuterie on the house, which was delicious. Thank you so much for making our special evening as perfect as it could've been!Special Features:
- Always Reliable PosteRichDined on 9/14/2014I know that "reliable" sounds something like "kissing your cousin", but it also allows you to choose Poste for a special occasion and know that you won't be disappointed. This was a Sunday evening anniversary celebration. The crowd was light, and we were seated promptly. Theo, our server, helped us select some excellent entrees and a nice wine to pair. Our food appeared promptly and was delightful to enjoy. Special hint: the crispy goat cheese in the beet-and-kale salad is a little nugget of goodness. All in all, an evening enjoyably spent. You can rely on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cheers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014wonderful service! matched the food! cheers to the chef!Special Features:
- Great food...great surroundingsDineoutalotVIPDined on 9/12/2014Just adore this restaurant and enjoyed introducing 5 friends to it! The food is outstanding, the service fabulous and eating outside in the courtyard a delight on gorgeous evenings. A little noisy due to the thriving bar scene, but still the charms outweigh that one detracting element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Hits and small missesMichaelVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a restaurant that flows out from a hotel but it's far more than a hotel-restaurant. It's modern décor is dramatic if a little disjointed. It must have a dynamic bar scene since a good part of the space is dedicated to it. The open-air lounge is inviting. The menu is not extensive but interesting. The escargot were a little dry (lacking ample juices); beat salad very fine. Beef cheeks very tasty; the rib-eye was small, thin, and not worth the $31. Our server steered us poorly on our first bottle of red due to mischaracterization (thin but tasty); the second (our choice) was much better and in-line with our specs. So: mixed feelings on the experience. Would we go back? Perhaps. We will rely more directly on the sommelier next time.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We celebrated Hubby's birthday. I originally sat us outside, which had a nice courtyard/bar ambiance but when Hubby got there after me he found it too warm and they were incredibly gracious about moving us inside, which was sleek and elegant with plenty of room between tables and booths. The dinners were truly great: we started with oysters, he got steak frites and I got the filet mignon with creamed spinach. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the foods and the wine list, and described our chosen wines to a T. I was surprised that the place wasn't more packed on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Excellent Staffnu2uDined on 8/31/2014The service at the Poste is excellent...the wait staff is very knowledgeable of the menu and can make great recommendations. The staff goes out of the way to ensure that your experience is at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!hungrygrlVIPDined on 8/27/2014Having only been to Poste for great happy hours, I picked it for a group dinner mostly due to it's geographic convenience. We were pleasantly surprised to be seated in the private room that comfortably accommodated the six of us and made for a great atmosphere to catch up without having to shout over the other diners in the main room. Service was very attentive and the meal was delicious. Everyone had a great time!Special Features:
- Beautiful day for brunch on patioLauraVIPDined on 8/24/2014Lovely day, sunny, not too hot and we had brunch on the patio behind the restaurant which is in the Hotel Monaco. Interesting cocktails, delicious food, and very nice server. Great way to celebrate our 35th anniversary!Special Features:
- Juliaz3VIPDined on 8/22/2014My friend and I dined on August 22 prior to attending the nearby Shakespeare Theatre and were pleased to see that the Restaurant Week menu had been extended. We chose tuna tartare, duck breast, and the chocolate dessert. Our server recommended an excellent bottle of wine that paired well. We had great service and the meal was truly delicious! The noise level was low, we were seated in the quieter back dining area which I recommend if you want to chat with your companions. Good portions left us satisfied but not overly full. I look forward to going back for another meal soon.
- Overall Great DiningUptonDined on 8/22/2014Poste is one of our favorite restaurants in DC, we keep returning and it has maintain and it continues to provide a wonderful dining experience either for lunch or dinerSpecial Features:
- Could be perfect....CharleneVIPDined on 8/19/2014Love Poste and this visit was no exception. We dined outside prior to a Verizon concert. Waiter was would have been rated fantastic but some of the timing was slow and we were late for the concert. The food, as always was delicious, however, I must take issue with some of the serving sizes. It was Restaurant Week; I ordered an appetizer a la carte off the RW menu. I got the RW serving size (tiny) for $14. Ridiculously over-priced although delicious. Either the serving size should be normal (I was told the RW entrees would be bigger if ordered a la carte off the RW menu) or the prices should be lowered to reflect the modified RW portion size. Also, the wine serving sizes are terribly small for the price. You must order bottles here.Special Features:
- Great outdoor patioFabulous2dineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Loved dining on the outdoor patio. Matt, our waiter was superb as was all wait staff willing to help out. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Verizon Center ConveniencePercyDined on 8/19/2014Parking (arranged on-line) and dinner (reserved through Open Table) right across the street from Verizon Center make this a must if you're attending something at Verizon Center. A bit pricey for what it is otherwise. Food: fair Wines: OK.Special Features:
- Positively Perfect!Peggy2PosteDined on 8/19/2014I am a fan of Poste, so it is hard for me to be continually surprised by their food and service. But, once again, I was dazzled. I took a girlfriend there for dinner before a concert at Verizon Center. My friend doesn't dine downtown often (although she has her own restaurant and is quite the Foodie). We ordered the Restaurant Week specials and Wine accompaniment. Wow! What an amazing dining experience. Service was spot on: responsive and friendly. We dined outside, and the bar area filled up quickly and it was energetic. On a scale of one to ten - this place is a perfect ten!Special Features:
- Great drinks, meh foodAlexWVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've been to Poste many times for drinks but only ate there for the first time recently. For the price, I expected better. The $34 ribeye was no better than an average cut of steak, about what I'd expect to find at an Outback. My wife wasn't any more impressed with her filet, or the spinach that accompanied it. Our server was attentive and friendly and the cocktails were excellent ... at least until the bar got very busy, at which point the mixology took a noticeable step backwards.Special Features:
- A nice Sunday SpotJessieDined on 8/17/2014Poste was overall good, interesting space with a really great atrium in the back. The location is definitely hidden but well worth finding. The food was very good. The service was a little slow, but with good people a two hour lunch is totally fine. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great place for a weekday lunchPeterVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went there during Restaurant Week and enjoyed lunch tremendously. The pork tenderloin entree was delicious. Decent wine selection, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceDCAshDined on 8/15/2014The service was incredibly slow for a weekday lunchtime. We were there for over an hour. The non-RW food prices were laughably high.
- Off the MarkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Unfortunately, the ability of Poste to meet the needs of their clientele is greatly reduced during construction. The menu descriptions are somewhat lacking and the service also left something to be desired.Special Features:
- Great new chef!dcfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Stopped in for restaurant week and found out about the new menu and the new chef. We had the salmon and it was gently cooked to perfection. Desserts were awesome. Looking forward to the new fall menu and the new direction at Poste!Special Features:
- Excellent service.BitaMVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had requested an outdoor table The courtyard was beautiful. Our waiter was amazing, Brittany. Service was excellent. The streak frites was fantastic. The restaurant menu foods were tasty . The duck was delicious well done just very small plate. The desert could be better. Overall fantastic experience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!DCdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Was there for restaurant week and our experience could not have been better. The food was superb, the service attentive and good humored, and the setting was beautiful in the open courtyard. Pair that with the vibrant open bar scene below and it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch!kinincVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had the Restaurant Week 3-cours lunch w/ wine pairing. Perfect way to spend a few house on a beautiful summer day.Special Features:
- Small plates, big priceRustyBladeDined on 8/12/2014Note that this review applies only to Restaurant Week at Poste. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu (appetizer, entree, and dessert for $35.14). We were served very good, well-presented food; but in tiny portions. Restaurant Week is supposed to give diners an opportunity to try some expensive restaurants via their limited offerings of fixed-price, value-oriented meals. Apparently, Poste doesn't get that. We might have been better off by ordering from their regular menu. After dinner we wanted stop at another restaurant and get a burger, that is, after we paid the valet $20 to retrieve our car.
- Rest Week 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Convenient location, meeting friends coming from different locations. Food was good and portion size was about right (I had the pork loin), vegetables were tasty but were skimpy. Others enjoyed the wild caught salmon. Avoid the pheasant appetizer (unless you like Spam) others enjoyed the beet salad. I'd go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week at PosteDunyaDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for dinner for restaurant week. First, this is an excellent deal. I had pork loin with cauliflower purée. Normally I don't care for cauliflower but this purée was such an excellent addition to the pork. It was fantastic! Service was superb and my dinner partner and I were asked our opinions. The meal was a good size. I enjoyed all 3 courses and did not feel stuffed. The Poste is a beautiful restaurant and a great place to visit.Special Features:
- ExceptionalJazzieDined on 8/11/2014Poste is an excellent place to eat and for trying dishes that you do not normally eat. I was greeted with a smile and hello, when I checked for my reservation. In fact, everyone was very attentive. All the waitress spoke and smiled. The manager came to the table and brought my bag with the dessert and asked was everything okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014For some reason, I haven't been to Poste in years, and now I'm kicking myself. The food is amazing! Favorites are the vegetable crepes, truffle fries, cheeses, and beet salad. And the staff is incredible! Just a perfect evening!Special Features: