555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2027836060x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - email@example.com, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (107)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (60)vibrant bar scene (56)great for lunch (46)great for brunch (44)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (37)hot spot (35)romantic (34)notable wine list (27)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014Having only been to Poste for great happy hours, I picked it for a group dinner mostly due to it's geographic convenience. We were pleasantly surprised to be seated in the private room that comfortably accommodated the six of us and made for a great atmosphere to catch up without having to shout over the other diners in the main room. Service was very attentive and the meal was delicious. Everyone had a great time!Special Features:
- Juliaz3Dined on 8/22/2014My friend and I dined on August 22 prior to attending the nearby Shakespeare Theatre and were pleased to see that the Restaurant Week menu had been extended. We chose tuna tartare, duck breast, and the chocolate dessert. Our server recommended an excellent bottle of wine that paired well. We had great service and the meal was truly delicious! The noise level was low, we were seated in the quieter back dining area which I recommend if you want to chat with your companions. Good portions left us satisfied but not overly full. I look forward to going back for another meal soon.
- Overall Great DiningUptonDined on 8/22/2014Poste is one of our favorite restaurants in DC, we keep returning and it has maintain and it continues to provide a wonderful dining experience either for lunch or dinerSpecial Features:
- Could be perfect....CharleneVIPDined on 8/19/2014Love Poste and this visit was no exception. We dined outside prior to a Verizon concert. Waiter was would have been rated fantastic but some of the timing was slow and we were late for the concert. The food, as always was delicious, however, I must take issue with some of the serving sizes. It was Restaurant Week; I ordered an appetizer a la carte off the RW menu. I got the RW serving size (tiny) for $14. Ridiculously over-priced although delicious. Either the serving size should be normal (I was told the RW entrees would be bigger if ordered a la carte off the RW menu) or the prices should be lowered to reflect the modified RW portion size. Also, the wine serving sizes are terribly small for the price. You must order bottles here.Special Features:
- Verizon Center ConveniencePercyDined on 8/19/2014Parking (arranged on-line) and dinner (reserved through Open Table) right across the street from Verizon Center make this a must if you're attending something at Verizon Center. A bit pricey for what it is otherwise. Food: fair Wines: OK.Special Features:
- Positively Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I am a fan of Poste, so it is hard for me to be continually surprised by their food and service. But, once again, I was dazzled. I took a girlfriend there for dinner before a concert at Verizon Center. My friend doesn't dine downtown often (although she has her own restaurant and is quite the Foodie). We ordered the Restaurant Week specials and Wine accompaniment. Wow! What an amazing dining experience. Service was spot on: responsive and friendly. We dined outside, and the bar area filled up quickly and it was energetic. On a scale of one to ten - this place is a perfect ten!Special Features:
- Great drinks, meh foodAlexWVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've been to Poste many times for drinks but only ate there for the first time recently. For the price, I expected better. The $34 ribeye was no better than an average cut of steak, about what I'd expect to find at an Outback. My wife wasn't any more impressed with her filet, or the spinach that accompanied it. Our server was attentive and friendly and the cocktails were excellent ... at least until the bar got very busy, at which point the mixology took a noticeable step backwards.Special Features:
- A nice Sunday SpotJessieDined on 8/17/2014Poste was overall good, interesting space with a really great atrium in the back. The location is definitely hidden but well worth finding. The food was very good. The service was a little slow, but with good people a two hour lunch is totally fine. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great place for a weekday lunchPeterVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went there during Restaurant Week and enjoyed lunch tremendously. The pork tenderloin entree was delicious. Decent wine selection, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceDCAshDined on 8/15/2014The service was incredibly slow for a weekday lunchtime. We were there for over an hour. The non-RW food prices were laughably high.
- Great new chef!dcfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Stopped in for restaurant week and found out about the new menu and the new chef. We had the salmon and it was gently cooked to perfection. Desserts were awesome. Looking forward to the new fall menu and the new direction at Poste!Special Features:
- Excellent service.BitaMVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had requested an outdoor table The courtyard was beautiful. Our waiter was amazing, Brittany. Service was excellent. The streak frites was fantastic. The restaurant menu foods were tasty . The duck was delicious well done just very small plate. The desert could be better. Overall fantastic experience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!DCdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Was there for restaurant week and our experience could not have been better. The food was superb, the service attentive and good humored, and the setting was beautiful in the open courtyard. Pair that with the vibrant open bar scene below and it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch!kinincVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had the Restaurant Week 3-cours lunch w/ wine pairing. Perfect way to spend a few house on a beautiful summer day.Special Features:
- Small plates, big priceRustyBladeDined on 8/12/2014Note that this review applies only to Restaurant Week at Poste. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu (appetizer, entree, and dessert for $35.14). We were served very good, well-presented food; but in tiny portions. Restaurant Week is supposed to give diners an opportunity to try some expensive restaurants via their limited offerings of fixed-price, value-oriented meals. Apparently, Poste doesn't get that. We might have been better off by ordering from their regular menu. After dinner we wanted stop at another restaurant and get a burger, that is, after we paid the valet $20 to retrieve our car.
- Rest Week 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Convenient location, meeting friends coming from different locations. Food was good and portion size was about right (I had the pork loin), vegetables were tasty but were skimpy. Others enjoyed the wild caught salmon. Avoid the pheasant appetizer (unless you like Spam) others enjoyed the beet salad. I'd go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week at PosteDunyaDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for dinner for restaurant week. First, this is an excellent deal. I had pork loin with cauliflower purée. Normally I don't care for cauliflower but this purée was such an excellent addition to the pork. It was fantastic! Service was superb and my dinner partner and I were asked our opinions. The meal was a good size. I enjoyed all 3 courses and did not feel stuffed. The Poste is a beautiful restaurant and a great place to visit.Special Features:
- ExceptionalJazzieDined on 8/11/2014Poste is an excellent place to eat and for trying dishes that you do not normally eat. I was greeted with a smile and hello, when I checked for my reservation. In fact, everyone was very attentive. All the waitress spoke and smiled. The manager came to the table and brought my bag with the dessert and asked was everything okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014For some reason, I haven't been to Poste in years, and now I'm kicking myself. The food is amazing! Favorites are the vegetable crepes, truffle fries, cheeses, and beet salad. And the staff is incredible! Just a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Brunch was greatNYGyalDined on 8/7/2014My guest and I enjoyed our meals and the service was superb. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyElleDined on 8/3/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and it was perfect. Beautiful food in just-right portions in a beautiful room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014My first experience with Poste was less than stellar. However, I returned because the truffle fries are amazing. Sadly that has also changed. Shame.
- Waiter disappearedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Had to ask for more water. No bread delivered. No dessert offered. Worst service I've seen in ages.
- Nice brunch at PosteJessicaVIPDined on 7/27/2014When you enter the former General Post Office's former mail sorting room, you're transported away from the madness of Penn Quarter and into a lovely intimate space. The first thing that caught my eye was the Bloody Mary bar which welcomes you upon arrival. I was given a glass with bacon infused vodka and was free to add all kinds of goodies to it: pickled carrots, old bay, pickled jalapenos, and my favorite bacon. The bar has every possible variety of hot sauces and plenty of pickled peppers to satisfy those with a spicy palate.Special Features:
- Great BrunchDSMKEVIPDined on 7/27/2014I highly recommend the bottomless mimosas with your brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2014We have been to Poste many times over a number of years and I have to say the restuarant is showing its age (ripped material on seats, old carpet, etc), but there is no excuse for poor service. Service took way too long for an early Sunday brunch when the restaurant was pretty empty. It took the waitress a good 10min to come to the table to take our drink order and when she brought us our coffee she disappeared for another 15-20mins before taking our order. When the meal arrived it was good but it then took forever to get/pay the check. I think the manager saw that we had been waiting awhile for our server to collect the payment so she grabbed the check. It was disappointing knowing that they are/have been more capable of better service.
- Wonderful Food and ServicemsolomonDined on 7/26/2014A group of six of us got to the restaurant before a concert and only had an hour to eat. The drinks and food came quickly and were very good. The service was awesome and friendly. I highly recommend the basil lemon vodka drink and any of the fish dishes.Special Features:
- Sad with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014The food was great...service was not great. For being such a pricey restaurant the servers should really focus on being more attentive to the patrons.Special Features:
- cute outdoor patioChrysDined on 7/25/2014This place is a little on the pricey side, but good for special occasions. Went with a group of friends. We got the mussels and charcuterie plate for appetizers, and they were great. For the entree, I got the Pork Belly LT, which was too salty and tough, but my friends all liked their steaks a lot. Go for the ambience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Bartender seemed rushed when delivering drinks to the table; the waitress was great.Special Features:
- don't think we'll returndontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 7/20/2014The side of mushrooms were amazing. I liked the complimentary rolls. The crepes (small dish but very rich) were very good and so were the truffle fries. We were a bit disappointed by the commercial looking decor, expected elegance. Bathroom is far distance to go.Special Features:
- Great brunch, lunch, and night lifeAndy123VIPDined on 7/19/2014I recently stayed at the Monaco DC and at various times had brunch, lunch, and late drinks in Poste. Brunch and lunch were both excellent, and at night, the outdoor bar is awesome and always packed. It was a great find and you don't have to staying at the hotel to enjoy Poste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- readytoeatVIPDined on 7/17/2014Very nice place for a business lunch. Food is tasty but not heavy. Great wine list. Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencefoodiefrenchyDined on 7/13/2014I booked this restaurant for my executive team that come from France and Amsterdam and they said the food was excellent. The wine list was very good and their waitress was very attentive. I would absolutely recommend this as a great business dining location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchSatisfiedDined on 7/13/2014Seated timely and service was great! I enjoyed Poste and will visit again.Special Features:
- Foodie FUNQuixotDined on 7/12/2014We've stayed at the Monaco a few times but only ever had appetizers at POSTE. We and another couple were in town for The Lion King and we made reservations for 4 and an early seating at 5:30 pm. We asked for a quiet and cool (temperature) room as we were all dolled up in gowns and tuxedos. Well, they seated us is the back section, closed a partition and we literally had private dining (there were a few other tables in the area but nobody else was in there that early). All four of us ordered different dishes and all four of them were OUTSTANDING !! Without exaggeration all four of us are foodies and the quality of the food was off the charts !!!!! The food was SO good that if we are EVER in D.C. again for dinner its POSTE or NOTHING!Special Features:
- Couple getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Stayed at the Monaco. Had dinner here and came back for breakfast! Was excellent both times .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunch2eatWellDined on 7/6/2014The outdoor dining area is wonderful when the weather is accommodating as it was on the July 4th weekend this year. And the food choices we had were the Eggs Chesapeake and Eggs Florentine, both of which were very good.Special Features:
- Disappointed by brunchCsolloVIPDined on 7/5/2014Description on how things were prepared/served pretty vague, which lent them-self to the overall disappointment with the food.
- Great Business Lunch Spotdcrok15VIPDined on 7/1/2014Perfect spot for a business lunch; the environment is classy and quiet, food is delicious, and the seating allows for relaxed conservations. Like some fancier restaurants, this location is comfortable and chic creating a great ambience for a business meeting. The food was delicious, although be prepared to spend quite a bit for lunch. Will return and would recommend.Special Features: