Post & Beam
3767 Santa Rosalia Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90008Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Post & Beam
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://postandbeamla.com/
- Phone: (323) 299-5599
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Soul food
- Executive Chef: Govind Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz on the Patio - please call restaurant to confirm dates
A word from Post & Beam
No stranger to the dining scene in Los Angeles, Brad Johnson’s and Govind Armstrong's venture, Post & Beam, is intended to bring warm hospitality, exciting, yet approachable cuisine and good times to the surrounding neighborhoods of the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. Brad has created memorable places since relocating to California from NYC in 1989. Remember Georgia, that was him, minus some of the gray hair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Post & Beam - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Post & Beam reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (19)romantic (18)special occasion (18)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- I try to go there whenever I'm in town.NewsworthyVIPDined on 11/11/2014The menu is eclectic, I'm not a meat eater, I wouldn't mind more choices but I always find something delicious. The service is always friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchvincorpDined on 11/9/2014My wife and I had a great brunch at Post & Beam. It was her first time at the restaurant. We were seated at the patio where there was a 3 piece jazz band that enhanced our dining experience. The benedict was to die for as well as the burger. Cooked and prepared to perfection. The staff was very friendly, attentive & accommodating. Our server Keicha was fun and informative. Can't wait to come back for dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful experience at post and beam. Our server was excellent. The kale salad with crunchy chickpeas was fantastic. We enjoyed the fried chicken, tomato and corn salad, and grilled broccoli. Don't miss the outdoor patio with its little garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal at P&BGeorgiaDined on 10/24/2014This was our first visit to Post & Beam. Everything that we tried was really delicious, from the shrimp grits, to the buttermilk dressing salad to the cornbread crusted catfish. We would definitely go back especially if that fabulous jazz trio is playing at the outdoor patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food and service was amazing. The owner was on site the night we dined there and he was very welcoming and friendly. Our server was amazing. I will definitely be going back and will make this my special occasion location for when friends and family visit me. The restaurant is very close to the View Park/Windsor Hills neighborhood. It was a wonderful find in the Crenshaw District.Special Features:
- Food For The SoulIngsDined on 10/22/2014Post and Beam is a fantastic little restaurant. The food is rich in flavor and the cocktails are on point. The service was absolutely wonderful Keisha's wonderful service and recommendations made for a delightful evening. Will definitely come back again next time we're in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaryllisVIPDined on 10/14/2014This was my first visit. I enjoyed the corn bread and sweet butter (very decadent), but I wouldn't say I hit the bullseye with my menu choices. I'll definitely return and try other dishes, mostly because the staff was so pleasant and friendly -- especially our server, such a doll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Absolute Cultural ExperienceVARSDined on 10/11/2014Excellent for anyone and everyone. Birthday celebration and weekend Dinner Theater combo wrapped up in one. This was our third time dining at Post & Beam and every occasion has been absolutely wonderfulSpecial Features:
- neighborhood gemluvsgreatfoodDined on 10/9/2014I love this place. It is a very upscale restaurant in the Crenshaw district. Great crowd and the music is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I really liked the atmosphere & the music, the food portions were much smaller than the pictures on the Web like most food places. I thought the crowd was nice a little older...I would return but the food selection was just ok...The drinks were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsPoochieDined on 10/4/2014I visited this resturant for both lunch and dinner with a date. The menu had a good variety without being overwhelming, the drinks were great, food excellent, and the service was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for brunchedmundDined on 9/28/2014Everything about our Sunday brunch was outstanding. The hostess was friendly and inviting, our server (Ruston) was fantastic, very knowledgeable about the menu and great personality. The food was outstanding. I had the braised short ribs and eggs, my wife had the shrimp and grits both were exceptional. The bottomless Mimosa was a hit all the way around. Great cocktails, also. The dessert was a great ending to a great experience we went for the bread pudding. It wasn't like your normal bread pudding with heavy, syrupy sauce but a nice light dessert. As foodies and parents of a four year old my wife and I often struggle to find exceptional farm to table restaurants that are also welcoming to children. P&B made us feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Met friends for dinner on a Friday night, after reserving several weeks in advance. I received a call from Stephanie the day before, confirming my 7:30 reservation with an option of indoor or patio dining with a jazz band playing on the patio at 8pm. At first, I chose indoor, but after checking with other members of my party, I called Steph back 10 mins later to choose outdoor. I got stuck in traffic, notified one of my friends at 7pm & the restaurant at 7:15. I arrived at 7:45 only to find my party sitting inside. My friend said the hostess told them the patio was full. I went to speak with her & overheard the owner say no band tonight. Indoor worked out, but was not as planned. Food delivery was fragmented, but delicious & worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunitieslongplayingDined on 9/26/2014The advertised Jazz on Friday night did not take place. They called to confirmed but missed an opportunity to inform me of the change. The serve said no substitutions but when one of the meals arrived a substitution, unrequested, had been made. The food as delivered was cold. Server informed. More missed opportunities to right the situation. No compensation for a meal, no comped dessert no nothing but endless apologies from the helpless server who became an annoying problem after numerous "I'm sorry". No way to run a decent restaurant.
- UnwelcomingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014My husband and I just didn't feel welcomed. The hostess was indifferent, the server looked sleepy, and the owner wasn't too kind either and upset my husband.
- Great, but miss some itemshereswhatIthinkDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent as always, but I miss the burrata salad, the champagne cocktail w. tequila, and the deviled eggs. I did love the summer salad and the cucumber gimlet. The service was a little wonky. The food did not come out when we would have preferred it and the drinks were slow in coming. But all was just as delicious as ever.Special Features:
- Dining with a bonusRonniDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is quite noisy inside but they have a lovely patio where you can talk to your dinner partner. As a bonus on Friday evenings at 8:00 they have a jazz group playing. The food was quite good and the music was wonderful. I am taking friends there next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Not much on the menu for vegetarians. Atmosphere is good
- Good FoodGladfreeVIPDined on 8/29/2014The ambience is really nice and this neighborhood needs more nice local places to dine that look upscale. The food was very good and we enjoyed it. The food was pretty slow coming out of the kitchen as they seemed really busy and maybe short staffed. Our waiter was really nice...we have had him a few times and he is nice and has good recommendations. One person in our party was a little disappointed at her glass of wine...there was very little wine in her glass. Other than that it was a really nice evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBigEaterDined on 8/23/2014The maître d' sat us down as soon as we arrived. The waiter quickly came to our table, gave us menus and asked us, "what would we like to drink". After recommending appetizers, he took our order. The food came quickly and was great. The ambiance was great. Date night turn out to be a night of fun, good food and very nice music.Special Features:
- Great Food & Energetic BuzzluvsgreatfoodDined on 8/15/2014I took my father to Post & Beam for the first time. He loved the food and the ambiance in the restaurant. He said the bread pudding tasted almost as good as his mother's. He was very impressed with his experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully Unexpected!chasem12Dined on 8/2/2014The food was really good and the ambiance was great!! The jazz was soothing and there were a few celebrities in the house. Overall experience was great!Special Features:
- The catfish!ReefDined on 7/31/2014Overall, we enjoyed Post & Beam. Dined at lunch and the restaurant was almost empty. Young, casual staff but attentive and welcoming. Delicious fried catfish, kale salad, cornbread, and sweet potato pie. With the exception of a throwaway pasta salad side dish, the ingredients were fresh and flavors vibrant. Caught a glimpse of chef Govind Armstrong looking over the kitchen and spending time with the staff. Would return again to try the delectable looking cocktail menu and the catfish!Special Features:
- Friendly and Good Food!LilyDined on 7/30/2014Post and Beam was a delight. We were greeted when we entered by the receptionist and immediately seated. Our server, Joey, was friendly, helpful, and energetic. We were left alone when we needed to be and attended to when we needed to be. The owner came to the table and chatted with us. The food was very good. The server recommended some dishes - we took him up on his recommendations. Cast iron chicken, brussel sprouts, mac and cheese, shrimp & grits - nothing disappointed! For dessert, rum raisin bread pudding was excellent. We'll go back - it was a wonderful evening. The downside - a little loud where we were seated.Special Features:
- Delightful and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I met some friends for dinner at Post & Beam for dinner on Sunday, which turned out to be Sunday Supper. While the menu was smaller, it was actually easier to choose dishes and we all ended up getting several plates to share. Everything was great! It's tough to decide if my favorite was the fried wings or the pork ribs, but I was happy with everything we chose. We also had a charming waiter who was excellent and really made our meal great.Special Features:
- 100% Improvement!LANativegal1Dined on 7/25/2014I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in food and ambiance last Friday. Our waiter Foster was extremely friendly and well informed about the food selections, how they were prepared and recommendations on the various cocktails. I had the boneless short ribs which were "off the chain" along with two delectable side dishes-- Creamy mashed potatoes & broccolini. My friend had the grilled Salmon Filet and it was also fabulous. There was a nice jazz ensemble out on the patio--which also added to the atmosphere. I will definitely come back and bring out-of-towners here for a truly great View Park experience! Hat's off to adding more choices to the Appetizer/Happy Hour menu as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaves room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Me and a few friends dined here earlier this week during dine LA and ordered from the dine LA menu. We'll to begin the waiter was not attentive at all. She never assisted us unless we called or flagged her down. Our food wait time was rather long for what we ordered. The greens I ordered on the side were extremely salty. Not good at all. The whole experience was not anything to brag about and I have no intentions on going back anytime soon, my friends agreed as well. Nice spot though, very nice inside. Rather small. Not good for large groups though so keep that in mind. The patio area is nice but, the set is awkward and sorta fenced in. But, for a such a small location and not a lot of space to play with, I guess it works.Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the Post & Beam reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014I've been here several times and just though the energy in the place was off. No one seems happy to be there and happy to have you dine. The Dine LA menu (Cobb Salad) wasn't great either.....
- In the middleNewRobertDined on 7/16/2014My general impression of this restaurant is much higher than this experience presented as a "special dining event." First I need to say that my wife and I had different responses to the food but we did agree on the atmosphere. While my wife enjoyed the presentation, selection and taste of her choice, I found my selection "meatloaf sandwich," lacking in taste. While presentation would receive an A+, I was let down by the total experience. That being said my history with this restaurant would lead me to come back and sample other dishes in the future. Try the Pork Chop from the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacking customer serviceSexy101Dined on 7/16/2014The food is a small portions and the taste is just not there.... This is the second year I tried eating there but I will not waste my money again.
- STeveVIPDined on 7/13/2014Maybe Sunday night isn't the night to go. The pizza was the best. But the cornbread, chili and salad were disappointing.Special Features:
- Ok, nice ambienceLana32Dined on 7/8/2014I was disappointed in the food here. I have dined here three times and got different meals each time but the food simply is not seasoned well and tends toward blandness. At times the food is too salty or over spicy but the subtle blend of flavors that I expect when I go to a restaurant is missing. There simply aren't many choices such as Post and Beam in this neighborhood so I keep returning hoping I will find something I really like but so far it has not happened. The service was good, the patio area is nice but too many flies, it really made the meal unpleasant as I spent most of it batting them away. They need a better chef in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool but Missing SomethingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014It was good food, great ambience (Jazz on the patio night), and our server was very nice. Serice was slooooooow, and it's way overpriced for somethings on the menu.
- Great place in a terrible areaBeanDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant is located right off MLK in LA. We stopped here on the way to see Queen at the Forum. The food was rustic and good. The atmosphere was trendy. The service was good. It was perfect for what we needed. Note that it can be difficult to find as it is nestled in a Westfield shopping center. Would for sure go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014The food was very good although not as many entrees to choose from as I might like. I would recommend the skillet chicken over the fried chicken dish. The sides were interesting and tasty. Our server was particularly informative, attentive and responsive to our requests.Special Features:
- Absolutely great neighborhood findEclecticDined on 6/28/2014The chef's are creative and eclectic when bringing new receipe ideas and meals for your dining pleasure. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hire more waiters/waitressesFatGirlSlimVIPDined on 6/27/2014The weekends seem to get busy at this local eatery in South L.A. Please hire more waiters/waitresses to service your patrons. I waited 15 minutes for my waiter to bring me water, I figured since he was finally at my table take advantage and order your drink, food, to-go box and check! I wont write how long it took overall, just know that it was a while... Now on to the food... Its blah, the menu needs an overhaul, the only thing appealing about it are the names and descriptions of the dishes, please add more options and a little bit more fresh herbs and seasoning... The low lighting, sexy people and live jazz on the patio are the only reasons why I would go back.Special Features:
- I'll give it one more try...OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/20/2014We live in the neighborhood and love the idea of a stylish, delicious and hip dinner spot. But I've been twice and just don't think that the service and food are up to snuff. $50 for two at brunch with no liquor and $90 for three at dinner with no liquor should afford stellar service and impeccable food. The service leaves much to be desired. Everyone is sweet and friendly but they're clearly over stretched. I couldnt find my waiter to pay at the end of the meal and never got more than one cup of water. Also, our food was cold and for me that's just a mood killer. I'll give it another try because I definitely want to find a neighborhood staple but I'm pretty disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and CoolSensational6Dined on 6/15/2014I love the food and abiance, but service needs improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandinghereswhatIthinkDined on 6/8/2014Staff is friendly and helpful; Service is quick; and Food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.