Post & Beam
3767 Santa Rosalia Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90008Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Post & Beam
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://postandbeamla.com/
- Phone: 3232995599x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Soul food
- Executive Chef: Govind Armstrong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz on the Patio - please call restaurant to confirm dates
A word from Post & Beam
No stranger to the dining scene in Los Angeles, Brad Johnson’s and Govind Armstrong's venture, Post & Beam, is intended to bring warm hospitality, exciting, yet approachable cuisine and good times to the surrounding neighborhoods of the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. Brad has created memorable places since relocating to California from NYC in 1989. Remember Georgia, that was him, minus some of the gray hair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Post & Beam - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Post & Beam reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (36)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (21)good for groups (19)special occasion (19)romantic (13)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Good FoodGladfreeVIPDined on 8/29/2014The ambience is really nice and this neighborhood needs more nice local places to dine that look upscale. The food was very good and we enjoyed it. The food was pretty slow coming out of the kitchen as they seemed really busy and maybe short staffed. Our waiter was really nice...we have had him a few times and he is nice and has good recommendations. One person in our party was a little disappointed at her glass of wine...there was very little wine in her glass. Other than that it was a really nice evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBigEaterDined on 8/23/2014The maître d' sat us down as soon as we arrived. The waiter quickly came to our table, gave us menus and asked us, "what would we like to drink". After recommending appetizers, he took our order. The food came quickly and was great. The ambiance was great. Date night turn out to be a night of fun, good food and very nice music.Special Features:
- Great Food & Energetic BuzzluvsgreatfoodDined on 8/15/2014I took my father to Post & Beam for the first time. He loved the food and the ambiance in the restaurant. He said the bread pudding tasted almost as good as his mother's. He was very impressed with his experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully Unexpected!chasem12Dined on 8/2/2014The food was really good and the ambiance was great!! The jazz was soothing and there were a few celebrities in the house. Overall experience was great!Special Features:
- The catfish!ReefDined on 7/31/2014Overall, we enjoyed Post & Beam. Dined at lunch and the restaurant was almost empty. Young, casual staff but attentive and welcoming. Delicious fried catfish, kale salad, cornbread, and sweet potato pie. With the exception of a throwaway pasta salad side dish, the ingredients were fresh and flavors vibrant. Caught a glimpse of chef Govind Armstrong looking over the kitchen and spending time with the staff. Would return again to try the delectable looking cocktail menu and the catfish!Special Features:
- Friendly and Good Food!LilyDined on 7/30/2014Post and Beam was a delight. We were greeted when we entered by the receptionist and immediately seated. Our server, Joey, was friendly, helpful, and energetic. We were left alone when we needed to be and attended to when we needed to be. The owner came to the table and chatted with us. The food was very good. The server recommended some dishes - we took him up on his recommendations. Cast iron chicken, brussel sprouts, mac and cheese, shrimp & grits - nothing disappointed! For dessert, rum raisin bread pudding was excellent. We'll go back - it was a wonderful evening. The downside - a little loud where we were seated.Special Features:
- Delightful and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I met some friends for dinner at Post & Beam for dinner on Sunday, which turned out to be Sunday Supper. While the menu was smaller, it was actually easier to choose dishes and we all ended up getting several plates to share. Everything was great! It's tough to decide if my favorite was the fried wings or the pork ribs, but I was happy with everything we chose. We also had a charming waiter who was excellent and really made our meal great.Special Features:
- 100% Improvement!LANativegal1Dined on 7/25/2014I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in food and ambiance last Friday. Our waiter Foster was extremely friendly and well informed about the food selections, how they were prepared and recommendations on the various cocktails. I had the boneless short ribs which were "off the chain" along with two delectable side dishes-- Creamy mashed potatoes & broccolini. My friend had the grilled Salmon Filet and it was also fabulous. There was a nice jazz ensemble out on the patio--which also added to the atmosphere. I will definitely come back and bring out-of-towners here for a truly great View Park experience! Hat's off to adding more choices to the Appetizer/Happy Hour menu as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaves room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Me and a few friends dined here earlier this week during dine LA and ordered from the dine LA menu. We'll to begin the waiter was not attentive at all. She never assisted us unless we called or flagged her down. Our food wait time was rather long for what we ordered. The greens I ordered on the side were extremely salty. Not good at all. The whole experience was not anything to brag about and I have no intentions on going back anytime soon, my friends agreed as well. Nice spot though, very nice inside. Rather small. Not good for large groups though so keep that in mind. The patio area is nice but, the set is awkward and sorta fenced in. But, for a such a small location and not a lot of space to play with, I guess it works.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014I've been here several times and just though the energy in the place was off. No one seems happy to be there and happy to have you dine. The Dine LA menu (Cobb Salad) wasn't great either.....
- In the middleNewRobertDined on 7/16/2014My general impression of this restaurant is much higher than this experience presented as a "special dining event." First I need to say that my wife and I had different responses to the food but we did agree on the atmosphere. While my wife enjoyed the presentation, selection and taste of her choice, I found my selection "meatloaf sandwich," lacking in taste. While presentation would receive an A+, I was let down by the total experience. That being said my history with this restaurant would lead me to come back and sample other dishes in the future. Try the Pork Chop from the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacking customer serviceSexy101Dined on 7/16/2014The food is a small portions and the taste is just not there.... This is the second year I tried eating there but I will not waste my money again.
- STeveDined on 7/13/2014Maybe Sunday night isn't the night to go. The pizza was the best. But the cornbread, chili and salad were disappointing.Special Features:
- Ok, nice ambienceLana32Dined on 7/8/2014I was disappointed in the food here. I have dined here three times and got different meals each time but the food simply is not seasoned well and tends toward blandness. At times the food is too salty or over spicy but the subtle blend of flavors that I expect when I go to a restaurant is missing. There simply aren't many choices such as Post and Beam in this neighborhood so I keep returning hoping I will find something I really like but so far it has not happened. The service was good, the patio area is nice but too many flies, it really made the meal unpleasant as I spent most of it batting them away. They need a better chef in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool but Missing SomethingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014It was good food, great ambience (Jazz on the patio night), and our server was very nice. Serice was slooooooow, and it's way overpriced for somethings on the menu.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014The food was very good although not as many entrees to choose from as I might like. I would recommend the skillet chicken over the fried chicken dish. The sides were interesting and tasty. Our server was particularly informative, attentive and responsive to our requests.Special Features:
- Absolutely great neighborhood findEclecticDined on 6/28/2014The chef's are creative and eclectic when bringing new receipe ideas and meals for your dining pleasure. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hire more waiters/waitressesFatGirlSlimVIPDined on 6/27/2014The weekends seem to get busy at this local eatery in South L.A. Please hire more waiters/waitresses to service your patrons. I waited 15 minutes for my waiter to bring me water, I figured since he was finally at my table take advantage and order your drink, food, to-go box and check! I wont write how long it took overall, just know that it was a while... Now on to the food... Its blah, the menu needs an overhaul, the only thing appealing about it are the names and descriptions of the dishes, please add more options and a little bit more fresh herbs and seasoning... The low lighting, sexy people and live jazz on the patio are the only reasons why I would go back.Special Features:
- I'll give it one more try...OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/20/2014We live in the neighborhood and love the idea of a stylish, delicious and hip dinner spot. But I've been twice and just don't think that the service and food are up to snuff. $50 for two at brunch with no liquor and $90 for three at dinner with no liquor should afford stellar service and impeccable food. The service leaves much to be desired. Everyone is sweet and friendly but they're clearly over stretched. I couldnt find my waiter to pay at the end of the meal and never got more than one cup of water. Also, our food was cold and for me that's just a mood killer. I'll give it another try because I definitely want to find a neighborhood staple but I'm pretty disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and CoolSensational6Dined on 6/15/2014I love the food and abiance, but service needs improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandinghereswhatIthinkDined on 6/8/2014Staff is friendly and helpful; Service is quick; and Food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KimberzDined on 6/7/2014We absolutely loved everything we tried from the deviled eggs to the cornbread appetizer and that was just the starters. All of us agreed that their Natural Chicken cooked in Cast Iron Skillet with Broccolini was amazing. We would definitely go back here again!Special Features:
- Needs WorkjaimesolDined on 6/6/2014Beef rib special was just OK. P&B burger was barely edible- beef was overcooked and bread was dry. Price point was insanely-high for lunch- more than $80 for a party of three with only 2 soft drinks/no alcohol. Chose this restaurant based upon (usually reliable) Jon Gold rec and was sorely disappointed. Service was good and would give this restaurant another shot but for the risk of another $80+ for a Car rows level meal.
- Bad mealAlexaloneDined on 6/4/2014I've been to Post and Beam before and really enjoyed the food and service. I had some friends from Chicago and wanted to impress them by taking them to P and B I never so embarrassed and disappointed in my life...though the ambiance and service was fine. In fact the young man who waited on us was superb. The meal however was awful I had the pork tenderloin and it was anything but TENDER....the broccolini was chewy and the black-eyed peas cold and had no flavor..even the corn bread was cold!!! My friends said it was fine but none of them finished their meals. You have a wonderful establishment ...but it is a restaurant and if the food is bad,all the ambiance in the world would make me want to spend 200 dollars on another bad meal
- RecommendedGladfreeVIPDined on 6/1/2014Fantastic little restaurant in an area of Los Angeles that has few places for a great meal and ambience. We went for brunch...the egg dishes were wonderful and the waffles were flavorful. The all you can drink mimosas were a hit!Special Features:
- Graduation CelebrationOldSchoolVIPDined on 5/30/2014We had my son's 12th graduation celebration at the Post & Beam. We were very fortunate to choose an early afternoon time -- not as crowded. We utilized the patio area, and had a ball. We were able to get a little festive, and the atmosphere was perfect for this type of occasion. We even were able to entice one of the waiters to sing to my son. All was very, very good. Highly recommend this spot and will come back (if they allow it :)). Oh, and the food was delish too!!!!!Special Features:
- A Labor of LoveMichaelmangeDined on 5/29/2014After two and a half years, at a time when most restaurants situated away from the intense competition of Downtown and West Hollywood are settling into a groove of predictability and amiable mediocrity, Post and Beam keeps getting better. The execution of the food in particular has moved from strength to strength in recent months. You will find many current LA food trends reflected on the menu, and done quite well, while remaining true to itself as a sophisticated "ethnic" venue. At Post and Beam people aren't afraid to have a good time, savor their meals, and have an occasional laugh at the continuing comedy of life.Special Features:
- Southern Cooking with PizazzGourmetGourmandDined on 5/25/2014What a find! As suggested by our outgoing, informative waiter we tried the deviled eggs with smoked catfish--tasty take on a beloved comfort food. Hands down the fried chicken with waffles is an entree I'm still dreaming about. Shrimp with grits was a close second. The bloody marys were spicy and delicious--apparently a new recipe. Looking forward to coming for dinner and Friday night jazz on the patio.Special Features:
- Bad day for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Well there was a large party of 30 outside on the patio. I don't think the restaurant was prepared with the staff or cooks. Service was extremely slow. However the food was great and I would go back again. My daughter was celebrating her 20th bday and she was happy with the food and said she would bring a friend back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average FoodkaycooksDined on 5/24/2014I don't know how Post and Beam made Jonathan Gold's top 100. The food was average; drinks were good. The only stand out was the succotash. The manager soured our dining experience when he asked us if we would move from the cozy corner table where we were already seated at to another corner table that was not quite as cozy because a regular customer was coming in they wanted that table. We were a little taken back, but agreed. As a "thank you," he comped us the two cheapest appetizers ($10 total) and wasn't even apologetic. It felt like our business didn't mean anything. If it wasn't a Saturday at 8:00, we would have left. It was offensive and insulting.
- Just great...and with music too!markdmarcVIPDined on 5/23/2014I always feel so comfortable at this place. The food is great. We sat out on the patio....and there was a jazz duo playing that night. It was just lovely. The service was good. We just had a wonderful surprise evening. We were just expecting to get a bite and then come home...but stayed for an extra nightcap so that we could continue to listen to the music!Special Features:
- GraceandGodDined on 5/22/2014Excellent from the greeting when we entered the restaurant. Lots of good professional yet warm attention from Simone. Food came quickly and was excellent. The turkey and roasted vegetables soup was outstanding. My friends Caesar salad with an abundance of special instructions arrived exactly as he asked and he was thrilled. When ever someone wants to meet me for lunch I will recommend Post & Beam.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood's best kept secretOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014The food was GREAT and different! I only knew about it because of my daughter attending Debbie Allen, but this is a must go place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missy . . .MissyDined on 5/11/2014My family and I went to Post & Beam for Mother's Day brunch. Though brunch was good, I would have liked a better variety. Having said that, what was served was tasty (though they could use a little help with their cornbread). I don't think it is a good choice for a family with young children because of the more sophisticated menu. Other than that, I will be going back and will tell others about this restaurant . . .Special Features:
- Good food, good peopleeshelle14Dined on 5/11/2014The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because we couldn't get outside seating, even if we had waited, which was disappointing but was totally made up for with the great food and our excellent server. She recognized we we're put off by the seating situation and acknowledged and apologized for it as soon as we sat down. I went for Mother's Day and our server offered to take a pic of my mother and I out on their beautiful outside patio area which she didn't have to do at all, overall very good southern style food and great service, but too small to really accommodate on seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal & eveningJoJoDined on 5/10/2014Started off to be a dinner for 4 and then we added 2 more and then 2 more. The restaurant was very accommodating. We had a great meal and time. Everyone loved their food. We started off with about 6 appetizers that we shared. The deviled eggs were wonderful. We had 2 orders for the 8 of us so we all got to try them. We had kale salad, asparagus salad, mussels, grits, corn bread, and something else. We shared 4 entrees among the 8 of us and we enjoyed them all. Somehow we didn't even look at the desserts. We all had drinks and some had 2 and the bills including tip was $80 per couple. Totally recommend this place and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceIluv2eatDined on 5/9/2014Enjoyable- I'll be back! Happy hour drink were awesome- highly recommend the cantaloupe martini!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rib specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014This was the 2nd time going to this neighborhood gem. I had to go after receiving the email hyping the rib special. The ribs were ok. We had to wait for dessert and by the time we got it, it was cold. Overall, I will still recommend this restaurant as it stands out in the area and gives Baldwin Hills a much needed boost. I would not recommend all-ready prepared specials.Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Post & Beam reviews archive.
- Jury is still outLuv2bFairDined on 4/29/2014My first and last visit to Post and Beam 4/29/14. I was disappointed in the slow service. This is the second review I have written in my life , I am starting to read reviews to help me make better decision. I want to make sure I am fair and accurate. My daughters burger was dry and charred thank goodness she is use to school lunches, as at 9yrs old she compared it and felt it was worst. My short ribs were salty, however the greens and macaroni and cheese were decent. The mojito was the BEST (that is the only good I could give this meal. My husbands steak was cold, hea was unhappy (and of all days on his birthday). I think he liked his drink, however the pearl onions came without a stirrer, so he would have had to eat with his hand. That
- The Tasty Time crunchSoulFoodieDined on 4/27/2014I decided to finally try P&B as I had read many reviews about the food online, which were mostly positive. The restaurant had also been featured as some of the best cuisine LA had to offer. I'm please to report that the taste of the food was really good. I would be able to go further into the positive hums from my 8 guests who agreed in the flavor profiles of the foods, HOWEVER, the lack of service overshadowed the food. Unfortunately, the kitchen staff of 6 couldn't keep up with our orders correctly. We waited over an hour for our food, then it was finally brought out in stages, the orders were wrong. I asked the waiter if this is the norm for the place and he said that there was a bit of miscommunication in the kitchen and new staff??Special Features: