1670 Coast Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poseidonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8587559345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Hours Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mourad Jamal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accomodate large parties up to 50 people. One check - 4 course meals from $55 per person plus tax and gratuity. Host or no host bar can be provided. We have a wide selection of wines and full bar. There is a $200 room charge. A $200 refundable deposit is required to accept your reservation.
- Private Party Contact: Dinner: Chef Jamal - Lunch: Toni Bretzing 8886373254
A word from Poseidon
The minute you walk into Poseidon, you’ll be swept by the fabulous view. You couldn’t be closer to the sand and the beach than sitting at Poseidon on their beautiful outdoor patio. With such a spectacular ocean view, you’ll experience breathtaking sunsets and during the right season even catch a glimpse of the whales migrating up or down the coast. The bar offers a large circular firepit, which is nice on those chilly fall or winter nights. Off to the side of the bar is a split level dining room offering every table a panoramic view of the beach and the ocean. For over 33 years, Poseidon has delighted both local San Diegans and the tourists that love the beach. An excellent menu, a favorite with all the locals is designed to cater to all appetites and pocketbooks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Poseidon - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Poseidon reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (193)great for outdoor dining (182)special occasion (104)great for lunch (94)romantic (87)neighborhood gem (50)great for brunch (49)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (43)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (33)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (15)Show More
- Simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Make sure to make reservation because this place is very busy during sunset and little after, especially on the patio. But it is right on the beach and they do have a spot light beaming right into the ocean at night so you can still see the ocean even when it gets dark. Staff is friendly and quick. they do explain menu and answer all the questions but do not bother you much so it is great! Food. If I could I would eat there daily! Their fish menu is amazing. Swordfish was excellent, moist and very nicely cooked. Chilean Seabass even better. I am really running out of words here but the food great! This is a place to go, don't think twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al fresco dining on the beach.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Ask for an outside table, and enjoy the beach and ocean view. Mere feet from the beach, the people watching isn't bad either. Ambiance is friendly without the High-end snootiness. Staff was fairly attentive, although our server's vibe was a little tense. We ordered drinks and a bowl of clam chowder to start. My wife ordered salmon and I ordered the swordfish. Our food arrived quickly, but the clam chowder never made it. Both fish dishes were a nice visual presentation, and the portion sizes were ample. Very flavorful combinations ingredients and sides. The fish was cooked perfectly - very moist and tender. Prices are on the high side, but you get what you pay for in quality food with a nice ambiance and great setting.Special Features:
- Great Beach Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014One of the best lunches I have had. The food and service was excellent. Very vibrant restaurant and beach location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunset diningmartinipleaseDined on 8/13/2014We were seated in time (and earlier than our reservations) to see the beautiful sunset! The wait staff was great, and the food fantastic. The only issue was other diners rushing out to see the sunset were in the way of those of us sitting outside. But you can not hold that against the place, people believe the world revolves around them.Special Features:
- It was OK....DaKlozaDined on 8/13/2014I took visitors from out of town for lunch there and made a reservation on the outside patio which was excellent. The food was just "OK," nothing spectacular. There was a spice in the Chicken Quesadilla that I didn't care for at all and gave most of my meal away. The view is great but table are very close together which makes it a bit hard to move in your seat. When I got up to leave, I felt my shoes were completely wet! I had fabric wedges on and evidently there was water on the groud and it soaked up while I was dining. Just be careful what shoes you are wearing if water on the patio is a common occurrance.Special Features:
- Poseidon RestaurantChowhoundDined on 8/11/2014Very good spot for an oceanfront dining experience or a relaxing cocktail. People watchers will love the the amateur vollballers, boogeyboarders, surfers and sunbathers. Very manageable food, beverage list. Nice wine list and the Steak/Lobster Surf & Turf was excellent . . .my medium-rare Sirloin was was "melt in your mouth" tender. I highly recommend! !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the PoseidonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Made my reservation through Open Table. Very convenient way to do that. We were a party of 5 woman celebrating a birthday. We were seated right away at a lovely table on the patio with a great view of the ocean. Our server was wonderful, the food gets mixed reviews Two were delicious,one was OK and the Ono fish Tacos were outstanding as was the deserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LorrieDined on 8/7/2014Service was outstanding. We were a party of six and every one had a great and fun experience. children's menu was quite extensive for a children's menu with some healthy choices. Every seat seem to have a fantastic ocean view. It's a fun place to go. Will definitely will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic, as usual!dktrjaneDined on 8/7/2014Tried the mixed seafood grill for lunch; was FANTASTIC; seafood cooked to perfection, served with coconut basmati rice, yum! Always love it here.Special Features:
- BUSS LUNCHeddieDined on 8/6/2014GREAT EXP RESERVATION WAS ON TIME EXCELLENT DINNING EXCELLENT SERVICESpecial Features:
- Visiting family night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The ocean views and sounds from almost any seat in the dining room are spectacular..the service staff was very efficient however the menu lacked on choices but the food prepared was very goodSpecial Features:
- Best of Del MarazmiDined on 8/4/2014One of the very few restaurants right on the beach - you feel as though you are with the folks on the beach - you can hear the happy summer laughter and the waves rolling in and out. A bottle of wine, great food and good friends at Poseidon, what more could one ask for???? The service was very good. Clams in wine sauce - yum! Mussels in coconut yum again! This is a happy feel restaurant - sun on your back and the sea just feet away from you!Special Features:
- Evening OutAlwaysOptimisticDined on 8/1/2014Food good, great outside seating, good service, enjoyable evening, bar drink small and watered downSpecial Features:
- Beautiful scenery but bad serviceLittleItalianDined on 7/28/2014I go to Poseidon quite often for the gorgeous view, good food, and (usually) good service. However, our waitress on Monday was horrible. She rushed us to order (when she finally showed up at the table), didn't even greet us and tell us her name, didn't come to the table to ask if we needed anything after our food was delivered, and slammed the check on the table and walked away when we finished eating (long after we finished). She didn't even look us in the eyes. According to the check, the waitress's name was Yadira. Thankfully it was a beautiful day and we had a nice outdoor table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fantastic timeCarreraBevDined on 7/27/2014We had a wonderful time at Poseidon the other evening. The service was friendly, timely and attentive. We had requested patio seating so we could hear the waves and watch the sunset. The staff took us to our table right away and within a couple minutes our waitress was there taking our drink order. It can get a little noisy on the patio, so don't expect a quiet dining experience. But that is to be expected when sitting on the patio at the beach. We were very please with the staff, ambiance and food at Poseidon! We will be back again!Special Features:
- Poseidondinner4twoDined on 7/26/2014Always amazing dinner with a view, great service too!Special Features:
- Sunset DinnerlovespurpleDined on 7/25/2014The setting is wonderful! Food is great. Wonderful experience for out of town guests.Special Features:
- Service needs a ton of workJJSDDined on 7/25/2014Such a beautiful location and the food is good and improving. BUT - Service was terribly slow and servers were forgetful and not very attentive. Waited almost 10 minutes before getting water or a drink order taken and then also had to call them back to quickly order an app b/c we were not asked. Finally they came back to take the lunch order... still waiting on the app (bread and spreads takes time??) Ordered lunch. Soups came... still no appetizers so asked to cancel. She said too late, it's already made! Great location (although the valet was full - boo) and maybe they think they don't need to have good service since people will come anyway. Disappointed for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showcases San Diego beautifullyMattDined on 7/25/2014Great place to bring out of town visitors. Offers great food and scenic views that puts San Diego in the best light possible.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingAlanVIPDined on 7/23/2014Food was better than expected - flavorful but not overpowering sauces enhanced seafood plate I enjoyed. The view is second to none. You. Are. Literally. On. The. Beach.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Valet parking "Full" - unavailable to resteraunt dining guests. I had to find alternate parking and walk several blocks - making me late for my reservation to meet 3 friends for lunch. table for 4 had not been fully bussed slow/poor serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoseidonEater2Dined on 7/23/2014The pistachio crusted Brie was so so good. I got fish tacos and the fish was tiny and fried way too much. My husband got the fish tacos with the catch of the day and it was way bigger. Our server was excellent. I had this before and it was better. Off day I guess.Special Features:
- Poseidon dinnerjsbradburyDined on 7/20/2014Food was great, view is great. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best location in Del MarTimetodineDined on 7/20/2014On the beach. That says it all. The sun was a bit problematic out on the patio, but with the view we had, it's hard to complain. The food was truly awesome. Surf and turf was pricey, but portions seemed quite generous. Field green salad with ahi was terrific as was the same salad with salmon. All had healthy portions which made the prices seem fair enough. Definitely a spot for a special occasion, but if you want to be out on the patio, bring sunglasses and sunscreen as even with the umbrellas we still had more sun on us than we would have liked.Special Features:
- Beautiful PoseidonjennypDined on 7/15/2014As long time residents, we remember burgers on the wood patio, dressed in whatever was comfy from the beach. Today's Poseidon is just superb. Can't ask for a better view or better service. The menu offers many choices and the Chilean Seabass was amazing! Excellent presentation, delicious from every different flavor. One of the finest, by all means!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!prontoDined on 7/15/2014Everything was fabulous, from the food to the view to the ambiance. The service was a little slow but it was still well worth the wait. Will definitely go again!!Special Features:
- Great view, shocking pricesDianeVIPDined on 7/13/2014The view is spectacular. But do you have to charge $38 - $40 per entree just because the restaurant's view is in high demand? Service was ok, not commendable, and food didn't come close to warranting what you charged for it. Still, if people are prepared to put up with being fleeced, the view can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the view!nanceverDined on 7/10/2014You are closer to the beach/surf than any place in San Diego but, and it's a big but, you will pay for it. If you get a full meal (drinks, appetizer or salad, entree) you will pay top dollar. The food is OK but at $35-$47 for most entrees, it should be better. We will just go for drinks and appetizers next time because like I said, you can't beat the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parking nightmarelyndaDined on 7/10/2014Went to Poseidon twice in one week. Love the ocean and the view. JULY IS TOURIST SEASON AND VALET PARKING WAS FULL. Parking across the street is difficult to secure and pricey.Special Features:
- First experience at PoseidonLyyyssssDined on 7/9/2014Food was great, service was horrible. They tried seating us indoors even though I had reservations for the patio. So we had to wait because it was full. The seating is crammed on the patio, horrible layout. The service was awful, took about 15 minutes before our waitress even came over to introduce herself. Food took over an hour apparently the kitchen was backed up. Beautiful view, I don't think I will be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianeDined on 7/9/2014My friend wanted to eat at the beach but didn't know where. I chose Poseidon. She had never been there. She got there before me and was seated at our table and text me that she was there and the restaurant was amazing! She was so excited and said I couldn't have picked a more perfect spot for lunch! Only down side is it has limited parking and will cost 3 times more to park if you have to park in paid lot across street to come early or later in day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no more rack of lambamplcswDined on 7/8/2014The night we chose to dine was the night the restaurant introduced a new menu. I was looking forward to the soft shell crab appetizer and the rack of lamb for my entree as we have dined there a few times before. Both were gone! I was quite disappointed. However, we did have the spring rolls which were delicious, and the cioppino and Chilean sea bass which were also good. I don't think I will drive that far for those entrees which are available ocean-side nearer to our home. Also because of the new menu wait staff was not as attentive as they have been in the passt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible waitressbdayletdownDined on 7/8/2014This was our third time at this place and while we have had okay experiences in the past. Our waitress took our food and drink order right away and then disappeared. After 20 minutes and no drinks or bread yet I had to go looking for our waitress who was busy socializing with coworkers. She had someone else bring us our drinks but we never received our bread. We had to ask random workers whenever we needed a drink refill but our waitress never . While we occasionally saw her taking social breaks she did not return to our table for nearly an hour, dropped off the check without even asking if we wanted dessert or anything else, and then walked away. We witnessed other people receiving equally bad service.Special Features:
- AmazingJesserDined on 7/7/2014Super fun, great food, AMAZING view... Service was on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the Sea FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/7/2014I've eaten at this restaurant 5 or 6 times and each of my previous experiences had been positive. However, the rib-eye steak I ordered this visit had absolutely no flavor. They claim Certified Angus Beef on the menu, but I have my doubts. Stick with the sea food.
- best ocean dining experiencelyndaDined on 7/7/2014you are on the sand, can hear the surf, but the patio is quite noisy. Everyone talking pretty loud and music playing. Perhaps a later lunch will be less crowed/hectic. Food is good, parking is a nightmare..Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Right on the beach. Nothing between you and the water but the sandy beach. And the food is always super yummy. Only complaint is that it took a lot longer than normal to get our dinner.Special Features:
- A great on the beach restaurantDinnerfor2onthebeachDined on 7/5/2014Been to Poseidon few weeks ago for the first time for a farewell dinner with a group of 12 people . The seating outside was amazing with the beach right next to you and the food was delicious . Had calamari for the first time and it was oh so yummy . Made reservations to go there again when my husband came back home from an overseas deployment and again the whole experience and the food was amazing . If I ever come back to San Diego will for sure come and eat there again . :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetFoodExplorerDined on 7/5/2014It's been a while since we've been to Poseidon and the restaurant has changed for the better. The menu is more sophisticated and the food was excellent. The fish was fresh and the portions were large. We sat on the patio and had an incredible view of the ocean as sunset approached. The service was impeccable and the food came out quickly. I wouldn't call it relaxing but the noise level was much lower than I expectedf given how crowded the restaurant was.Special Features:
- Dinner on the beachdrcliffDined on 7/5/2014Poseidon fantastic view of Del Mar beach. Great menu selections, attentive wait staff, food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.