1670 Coast Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poseidonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8587559345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Hours Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mourad Jamal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accomodate large parties up to 50 people. One check - 4 course meals from $55 per person plus tax and gratuity. Host or no host bar can be provided. We have a wide selection of wines and full bar. There is a $200 room charge. A $200 refundable deposit is required to accept your reservation.
- Private Party Contact: Dinner: Chef Jamal - Lunch: Toni Bretzing 8886373254
A word from Poseidon
The minute you walk into Poseidon, you’ll be swept by the fabulous view. You couldn’t be closer to the sand and the beach than sitting at Poseidon on their beautiful outdoor patio. With such a spectacular ocean view, you’ll experience breathtaking sunsets and during the right season even catch a glimpse of the whales migrating up or down the coast. The bar offers a large circular firepit, which is nice on those chilly fall or winter nights. Off to the side of the bar is a split level dining room offering every table a panoramic view of the beach and the ocean. For over 33 years, Poseidon has delighted both local San Diegans and the tourists that love the beach. An excellent menu, a favorite with all the locals is designed to cater to all appetites and pocketbooks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Poseidon - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Poseidon reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (184)great for outdoor dining (177)special occasion (101)great for lunch (90)romantic (80)neighborhood gem (53)great for brunch (50)good for groups (46)fit for foodies (44)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (35)kid-friendly (21)notable wine list (17)late-night find (14)Show More
- Excellent food and views!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Fun atmosphere, great view of the sunset, food was excellent, especially the Chilean sea bass! We were there with business associates and it was a perfect setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Dinner w/ HusbandOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The food and view were amazing. We arrived at 5:30 for our reservation and were able to sit front and center for the sunset on the patio. The service was "off" and not what I would expect for such a high caliber restaurant. Little things, like asking for bread 3 times and silverware after the main course was delivered soured the experience a bit but overall an amazing find. Will go again.Special Features:
- Super sea bass sand ribeyeSmittyDined on 9/4/2014Great view setting sun,fresh air by the beach. Food good and will go back. Loved the deck area,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidDined on 9/2/2014One of the best restaurant for the romantic ocean view. The selection of food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely viewCorkyDined on 9/2/2014Best steamed clams ever plus killer burger!! The cocktails were cold and delicious and service was spot on!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2014Poseidon never disappoints. Amazing view, good food and a fun atmosphere. We were lucky last time there to witness a wedding on the beach.Special Features:
- linzeeDined on 9/1/2014One of the top places to take friends from out of town. Great ambience and view of ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Everyone (4) in our party were more than happy with the food, which was great, along with the service and view. Will definitely be back.
- Not our first time there but was asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014good as ever. Spectacular views, great food, great service. Had out of town guests that always request the Poseidon when they come.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Location, location, location - on the sand. We sat on patio but it looked like just about all the tables had an ocean view. Major bonus for such a located venue - good food and service.Special Features:
- great food by the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Good food with a great view. Right on the water with views of waves and blue sky. Food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View Great Food Great serviceLisamacDined on 8/28/2014We took our friends from out of town to Poseidon. We were celebrating 2 birthdays. We arrived a bit early for our reservation and even though they were packed, our table was ready. We sat on the patio and the view is not to be beat. We were able to watch the sunset. Our server was delightful and very attentive. We were a table of 8 and every person loved their meal. It was great experience and I highly recommend Poseidon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loveylive2eatDined on 8/26/2014We've really enjoyed our visit to Poseidon, very friendly service and delicious food, the Mediterranean seafood linguine was just perfectly delicious and the opa fish special was just delightful, half price bottle of wine special was also pleasant touch, not to mention the marvelous ocean view and the wonderful sunset. enjoyed our visit very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's on the beach...MelloDined on 8/25/2014It's on the beach in Del Mar. The food is actually pretty good and the service is OK too...not that either of those is the attraction here. It's on the beach, it's a good time, you should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SettingBetzerDined on 8/22/2014Poseiden is dining on the beach. I recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for great food in a outstanding sunset beach setting. The service was great and the food was very good. Don't worry about getting cold they bring out heat lamps once it gets dark to warm thing up. Simple a wonderful experience. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Will be going there again for sure.Special Features:
- drcliffDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful atmosphere, magnificent beach and ocean views. Good service and excellent lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sweetgalDined on 8/22/2014!st time making a reservation online..............When we arrived our table was ready and a choice of out or in. Enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and did not feel rushed even tho it was vary busy. Parking a issue. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forgetable foodswimmer59Dined on 8/21/2014Poiseidon is a gorgeous setting on a sunny evening, however the food is barely average. Typical for San Diego, pretty place, pretty people, pretty average food, nothing memorable.Special Features:
- Night at the ShoreOkiefoodieDined on 8/21/2014A vacation find! Loved our table right next to the beach. The service was friendly and prompt and the food was a excellent! Most of all the view of the surf and the antics on the beach were very entertaining! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Dinner at PoseidonEpicureanDined on 8/20/2014We dined at Poseidon last Friday night - 3 adults and 3 kids aged 9 to 12. The view was fabulous from our deck seats and we got to enjoy the gorgeous setting sun as entrees were served. Seating was tight in the restaurant and deck, and the noise level was certainly vibrant. A great community place. Service was friendly and prompt and the kids menu had a good variety of healthy meals. The kids loved the tomato basil soup and cleaned their flat iron steak plates! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Views!luvsandiegoDined on 8/18/2014Our party greatly enjoyed the food and views at Poseidon! For starters, we had the clam chowder. For lunch, we had fish tacos and salmon with mashed potatoes and spinach. Service was friendly and prompt. Water views were incredible! All in our party enjoyed it immensely! Although the atmosphere was energetic, we could still carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingRay75Dined on 8/17/2014Make sure to make reservation because this place is very busy during sunset and little after, especially on the patio. But it is right on the beach and they do have a spot light beaming right into the ocean at night so you can still see the ocean even when it gets dark. Staff is friendly and quick. they do explain menu and answer all the questions but do not bother you much so it is great! Food. If I could I would eat there daily! Their fish menu is amazing. Swordfish was excellent, moist and very nicely cooked. Chilean Seabass even better. I am really running out of words here but the food great! This is a place to go, don't think twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al fresco dining on the beach.JimmyJamesDined on 8/17/2014Ask for an outside table, and enjoy the beach and ocean view. Mere feet from the beach, the people watching isn't bad either. Ambiance is friendly without the High-end snootiness. Staff was fairly attentive, although our server's vibe was a little tense. We ordered drinks and a bowl of clam chowder to start. My wife ordered salmon and I ordered the swordfish. Our food arrived quickly, but the clam chowder never made it. Both fish dishes were a nice visual presentation, and the portion sizes were ample. Very flavorful combinations ingredients and sides. The fish was cooked perfectly - very moist and tender. Prices are on the high side, but you get what you pay for in quality food with a nice ambiance and great setting.Special Features:
- Great Beach Hot SpotphilthegreatDined on 8/14/2014One of the best lunches I have had. The food and service was excellent. Very vibrant restaurant and beach location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunset diningmartinipleaseDined on 8/13/2014We were seated in time (and earlier than our reservations) to see the beautiful sunset! The wait staff was great, and the food fantastic. The only issue was other diners rushing out to see the sunset were in the way of those of us sitting outside. But you can not hold that against the place, people believe the world revolves around them.Special Features:
- It was OK....DaKlozaDined on 8/13/2014I took visitors from out of town for lunch there and made a reservation on the outside patio which was excellent. The food was just "OK," nothing spectacular. There was a spice in the Chicken Quesadilla that I didn't care for at all and gave most of my meal away. The view is great but table are very close together which makes it a bit hard to move in your seat. When I got up to leave, I felt my shoes were completely wet! I had fabric wedges on and evidently there was water on the groud and it soaked up while I was dining. Just be careful what shoes you are wearing if water on the patio is a common occurrance.Special Features:
- Poseidon RestaurantChowhoundDined on 8/11/2014Very good spot for an oceanfront dining experience or a relaxing cocktail. People watchers will love the the amateur vollballers, boogeyboarders, surfers and sunbathers. Very manageable food, beverage list. Nice wine list and the Steak/Lobster Surf & Turf was excellent . . .my medium-rare Sirloin was was "melt in your mouth" tender. I highly recommend! !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the PoseidonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Made my reservation through Open Table. Very convenient way to do that. We were a party of 5 woman celebrating a birthday. We were seated right away at a lovely table on the patio with a great view of the ocean. Our server was wonderful, the food gets mixed reviews Two were delicious,one was OK and the Ono fish Tacos were outstanding as was the deserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LorrieDined on 8/7/2014Service was outstanding. We were a party of six and every one had a great and fun experience. children's menu was quite extensive for a children's menu with some healthy choices. Every seat seem to have a fantastic ocean view. It's a fun place to go. Will definitely will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic, as usual!dktrjaneDined on 8/7/2014Tried the mixed seafood grill for lunch; was FANTASTIC; seafood cooked to perfection, served with coconut basmati rice, yum! Always love it here.Special Features:
- BUSS LUNCHeddieDined on 8/6/2014GREAT EXP RESERVATION WAS ON TIME EXCELLENT DINNING EXCELLENT SERVICESpecial Features:
- Visiting family night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The ocean views and sounds from almost any seat in the dining room are spectacular..the service staff was very efficient however the menu lacked on choices but the food prepared was very goodSpecial Features:
- Best of Del MarazmiVIPDined on 8/4/2014One of the very few restaurants right on the beach - you feel as though you are with the folks on the beach - you can hear the happy summer laughter and the waves rolling in and out. A bottle of wine, great food and good friends at Poseidon, what more could one ask for???? The service was very good. Clams in wine sauce - yum! Mussels in coconut yum again! This is a happy feel restaurant - sun on your back and the sea just feet away from you!Special Features:
- Evening OutAlwaysOptimisticDined on 8/1/2014Food good, great outside seating, good service, enjoyable evening, bar drink small and watered downSpecial Features:
- Beautiful scenery but bad serviceLittleItalianDined on 7/28/2014I go to Poseidon quite often for the gorgeous view, good food, and (usually) good service. However, our waitress on Monday was horrible. She rushed us to order (when she finally showed up at the table), didn't even greet us and tell us her name, didn't come to the table to ask if we needed anything after our food was delivered, and slammed the check on the table and walked away when we finished eating (long after we finished). She didn't even look us in the eyes. According to the check, the waitress's name was Yadira. Thankfully it was a beautiful day and we had a nice outdoor table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fantastic timeCarreraBevDined on 7/27/2014We had a wonderful time at Poseidon the other evening. The service was friendly, timely and attentive. We had requested patio seating so we could hear the waves and watch the sunset. The staff took us to our table right away and within a couple minutes our waitress was there taking our drink order. It can get a little noisy on the patio, so don't expect a quiet dining experience. But that is to be expected when sitting on the patio at the beach. We were very please with the staff, ambiance and food at Poseidon! We will be back again!Special Features:
- Poseidondinner4twoDined on 7/26/2014Always amazing dinner with a view, great service too!Special Features:
- Sunset DinnerlovespurpleDined on 7/25/2014The setting is wonderful! Food is great. Wonderful experience for out of town guests.Special Features:
- Service needs a ton of workJJSDDined on 7/25/2014Such a beautiful location and the food is good and improving. BUT - Service was terribly slow and servers were forgetful and not very attentive. Waited almost 10 minutes before getting water or a drink order taken and then also had to call them back to quickly order an app b/c we were not asked. Finally they came back to take the lunch order... still waiting on the app (bread and spreads takes time??) Ordered lunch. Soups came... still no appetizers so asked to cancel. She said too late, it's already made! Great location (although the valet was full - boo) and maybe they think they don't need to have good service since people will come anyway. Disappointed for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showcases San Diego beautifullyMattDined on 7/25/2014Great place to bring out of town visitors. Offers great food and scenic views that puts San Diego in the best light possible.Special Features: