1670 Coast Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poseidonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8587559345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Hours Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mourad Jamal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accomodate large parties up to 50 people. One check - 4 course meals from $55 per person plus tax and gratuity. Host or no host bar can be provided. We have a wide selection of wines and full bar. There is a $200 room charge. A $200 refundable deposit is required to accept your reservation.
- Private Party Contact: Dinner: Chef Jamal - Lunch: Toni Bretzing 8886373254
A word from Poseidon
The minute you walk into Poseidon, you’ll be swept by the fabulous view. You couldn’t be closer to the sand and the beach than sitting at Poseidon on their beautiful outdoor patio. With such a spectacular ocean view, you’ll experience breathtaking sunsets and during the right season even catch a glimpse of the whales migrating up or down the coast. The bar offers a large circular firepit, which is nice on those chilly fall or winter nights. Off to the side of the bar is a split level dining room offering every table a panoramic view of the beach and the ocean. For over 33 years, Poseidon has delighted both local San Diegans and the tourists that love the beach. An excellent menu, a favorite with all the locals is designed to cater to all appetites and pocketbooks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Poseidon - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Poseidon reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (178)great for outdoor dining (176)special occasion (104)romantic (90)great for lunch (80)neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (42)great for brunch (42)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (36)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (14)Show More
- Poseidon dinnerjsbradburyDined on 7/20/2014Food was great, view is great. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best location in Del MarTimetodineDined on 7/20/2014On the beach. That says it all. The sun was a bit problematic out on the patio, but with the view we had, it's hard to complain. The food was truly awesome. Surf and turf was pricey, but portions seemed quite generous. Field green salad with ahi was terrific as was the same salad with salmon. All had healthy portions which made the prices seem fair enough. Definitely a spot for a special occasion, but if you want to be out on the patio, bring sunglasses and sunscreen as even with the umbrellas we still had more sun on us than we would have liked.Special Features:
- Beautiful PoseidonjennypDined on 7/15/2014As long time residents, we remember burgers on the wood patio, dressed in whatever was comfy from the beach. Today's Poseidon is just superb. Can't ask for a better view or better service. The menu offers many choices and the Chilean Seabass was amazing! Excellent presentation, delicious from every different flavor. One of the finest, by all means!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!prontoDined on 7/15/2014Everything was fabulous, from the food to the view to the ambiance. The service was a little slow but it was still well worth the wait. Will definitely go again!!Special Features:
- Great view, shocking pricesDianeVIPDined on 7/13/2014The view is spectacular. But do you have to charge $38 - $40 per entree just because the restaurant's view is in high demand? Service was ok, not commendable, and food didn't come close to warranting what you charged for it. Still, if people are prepared to put up with being fleeced, the view can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the view!nanceverDined on 7/10/2014You are closer to the beach/surf than any place in San Diego but, and it's a big but, you will pay for it. If you get a full meal (drinks, appetizer or salad, entree) you will pay top dollar. The food is OK but at $35-$47 for most entrees, it should be better. We will just go for drinks and appetizers next time because like I said, you can't beat the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parking nightmarelyndaDined on 7/10/2014Went to Poseidon twice in one week. Love the ocean and the view. JULY IS TOURIST SEASON AND VALET PARKING WAS FULL. Parking across the street is difficult to secure and pricey.Special Features:
- First experience at PoseidonLyyyssssDined on 7/9/2014Food was great, service was horrible. They tried seating us indoors even though I had reservations for the patio. So we had to wait because it was full. The seating is crammed on the patio, horrible layout. The service was awful, took about 15 minutes before our waitress even came over to introduce herself. Food took over an hour apparently the kitchen was backed up. Beautiful view, I don't think I will be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianeDined on 7/9/2014My friend wanted to eat at the beach but didn't know where. I chose Poseidon. She had never been there. She got there before me and was seated at our table and text me that she was there and the restaurant was amazing! She was so excited and said I couldn't have picked a more perfect spot for lunch! Only down side is it has limited parking and will cost 3 times more to park if you have to park in paid lot across street to come early or later in day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no more rack of lambamplcswDined on 7/8/2014The night we chose to dine was the night the restaurant introduced a new menu. I was looking forward to the soft shell crab appetizer and the rack of lamb for my entree as we have dined there a few times before. Both were gone! I was quite disappointed. However, we did have the spring rolls which were delicious, and the cioppino and Chilean sea bass which were also good. I don't think I will drive that far for those entrees which are available ocean-side nearer to our home. Also because of the new menu wait staff was not as attentive as they have been in the passt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible waitressbdayletdownDined on 7/8/2014This was our third time at this place and while we have had okay experiences in the past. Our waitress took our food and drink order right away and then disappeared. After 20 minutes and no drinks or bread yet I had to go looking for our waitress who was busy socializing with coworkers. She had someone else bring us our drinks but we never received our bread. We had to ask random workers whenever we needed a drink refill but our waitress never . While we occasionally saw her taking social breaks she did not return to our table for nearly an hour, dropped off the check without even asking if we wanted dessert or anything else, and then walked away. We witnessed other people receiving equally bad service.Special Features:
- AmazingJesserDined on 7/7/2014Super fun, great food, AMAZING view... Service was on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the Sea FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/7/2014I've eaten at this restaurant 5 or 6 times and each of my previous experiences had been positive. However, the rib-eye steak I ordered this visit had absolutely no flavor. They claim Certified Angus Beef on the menu, but I have my doubts. Stick with the sea food.
- best ocean dining experiencelyndaDined on 7/7/2014you are on the sand, can hear the surf, but the patio is quite noisy. Everyone talking pretty loud and music playing. Perhaps a later lunch will be less crowed/hectic. Food is good, parking is a nightmare..Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Right on the beach. Nothing between you and the water but the sandy beach. And the food is always super yummy. Only complaint is that it took a lot longer than normal to get our dinner.Special Features:
- A great on the beach restaurantDinnerfor2onthebeachDined on 7/5/2014Been to Poseidon few weeks ago for the first time for a farewell dinner with a group of 12 people . The seating outside was amazing with the beach right next to you and the food was delicious . Had calamari for the first time and it was oh so yummy . Made reservations to go there again when my husband came back home from an overseas deployment and again the whole experience and the food was amazing . If I ever come back to San Diego will for sure come and eat there again . :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetFoodExplorerDined on 7/5/2014It's been a while since we've been to Poseidon and the restaurant has changed for the better. The menu is more sophisticated and the food was excellent. The fish was fresh and the portions were large. We sat on the patio and had an incredible view of the ocean as sunset approached. The service was impeccable and the food came out quickly. I wouldn't call it relaxing but the noise level was much lower than I expectedf given how crowded the restaurant was.Special Features:
- Dinner on the beachdrcliffDined on 7/5/2014Poseidon fantastic view of Del Mar beach. Great menu selections, attentive wait staff, food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceLuvthisplaceDined on 7/3/2014Our dining experience was outstanding. We were recommended by a friend and couldn't of been more pleased. Was greeted at the door by friendly smiling faces. Wait staff was great! Our waitress Nilmin (don't know if that is the proper spelling) was outstanding. Very attentive! Ambiance was perfect. Food came out in a timely matter! We will definelty come back the next time we come to visit California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatsDined on 7/1/2014I know it's in a tourisy area but restaurants with menu items $30+ for dinner should not allow guys in sleeveless t-shirts and baseball caps in for dinner. It takes away the entire 'nice dining' aspectSpecial Features:
- Dirty. table dirty, service okMikesfamilyDined on 7/1/2014I made reservations for a ocean view. All I saw was a dirty table and the the view of the restaurant. The food was ok the service was ok. Next time I'm going next door.Special Features:
- Nice beachfront gemdktrjaneDined on 7/1/2014Always have a great time here. Good food, great location; can't beat meeting friends, enjoying a meal, and watching the waves and sunsetsSpecial Features:
- Third time, not a charmtn2latomVIPDined on 6/30/2014I REALLY want to like Poseidon. The views are great, and each time I've gone, the service has been really good, but it's just that the food is kinda "meh." Nothing really stands out. The calamari was OK, but not great, the sauces taste like they came from Trader Joe's. The rocket salad was pretty good, but the Mahi Mahi had zero flavor. I just find the food uninspiring. Each time I've gone before, I've set inside and this time, I remembered to request the patio. It's crowded, and the night we were there, the heat lamps made it an inferno. My guests seemed to like the place, but I can't tell if they really enjoyed, or were just being polite. It's not awful, but if it weren't for the views, it just wouldn't be memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatMelswilliamsDined on 6/29/2014I took my mom here for a belated Mothers Day dinner where she requested the beach dining to watch the sunset. This was perfect. We sat there right next to the sand for over 2 hours and the waitress did not rush us at all and was happy that we were enjoying the evening. The food was just spectacular. I got the Lobester Tail and my mom got the Surf & Turf, we did not speak that whole time the food was just so good. Go! You will be happy you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening dinnerBk42Dined on 6/29/2014We have invited two clients to the restaurant and find it provides good food and a relaxing setting. We are scheduled to go again soon. For me, it is all about the waves and sunset.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We loved the restaurant. Had a great dinner, a great server, and a great table. We'll do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good foodTubsDined on 6/25/2014Never disappoints. Right on the beach and food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014Halibut was sadly overdone and service was sadly slow. More servers are needed for the Wednesday lunch.Special Features:
- Surf, Sun and SoulHeyMikeyDined on 6/24/2014I can't think of a better place to be on a San Diego sunny afternoon on the Summer Solstice for lunch than Poseidon. The day was perfect, the ambiance, sights and sounds made you not really want to go back to work (AKA "Sad Hour). Your so engaged with the surroundings they could serve you a flip-flop and you probably wouldn't notice. But they don't, and the food was very good. Always the right portions and the flavors spot on. I had the 'Fish Tacos" which were teaming with the right ingredients and sauces. Service was always there and attentive.Special Features:
- Missed the seafood towerAdamDined on 6/22/2014Otherwise, it was a great experience, and we understand that this is temporary during kitchen renovations.Special Features:
- Ocean viewWaldoDined on 6/21/2014I love this restaurant. Food is always wonderful and you can't beat the patio for close to the ocean dining!Special Features:
- After Meeting Team Dinnerluv2dineoutVIPDined on 6/18/2014This was a perfect place for the team to "debrief" after an all-day meeting. The scenic view was beautiful and just what the team needed at the end of a long day of travel and meetings.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceDreamydining4meDined on 6/16/2014When you are seated outside for dinner and the view is a setting sun over the Pacific, paddle boarders, and surfers, it is hard to imagine it getting much better...HOWEVER, the food was fantastic and our service was perfect! Great way to spend an anniversary evening.Special Features:
- I expect moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014I've been going to Poseidons for the past 6 years, and they get a little worse each time I go. This time they sat us outside in the evening, but didn't offer a heater or check in on our comfort. Maybe they have a heater shortage. Eventually we asked to be moved inside. The main course was at least 30 minutes after our soup and we came hungry which made it seem longer. My steak was significantly overcooked (asked for medium rare and got well done) and I didn't want to wait for another one. The waiter offered to pick up the dessert which was nice, but I really just wanted a nice red juicy steak on Father's Day. Oh well, this is why I prefer to grill my own meat, it's just not that hard to get it right.Special Features:
- Just PerfectKarmaDined on 6/15/2014Great food, service, ambience! We had a cozy booth with a beautiful ocean view! A new favorite restaurant for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!D00sundaeDined on 6/13/2014We had lunch on the beach patio on a sunny day. The food was great (blackened halibut sandwich) and the outdoor patio location is fabuous! This was not my first time nor will it be my last......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was unhelpful and inflexibleCLJKDined on 6/11/2014We came for a family luncheon for my son's graduation. We were pretty disappointed. The server was slow and inattentive, and quite unhelpful when I asked for more vegetarian lunch choices. My mother's food had to be sent back, my mother-in-law didn't want to bother when hers was wrong, and two of my kids just didn't like their lukewarm meals. The food was definitely mediocre at best, and the service was worse. The meals were overpriced for what they were. The waiter coming in on the next shift was infinitely more helpful than our main server. The view was lovely, and the restaurant was clean. I just wish we had a better experience. I doubt we will be back.Special Features:
- newatthisDined on 6/10/2014I am a repeat diner and this time I was disappointed. The entre portion of the menu was lack luster. I settled on Fish and Chips. The fish bordered on the dry side and the chips were the large, thick slices of potato that tend to be dry. We were entertaining friends from back East and they requested "by the ocean". That we got but the food was definitely a means to an opportunity to sit by the ocean, rather than a compliment to scenery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, priceylovesthebeachDined on 6/7/2014Good view of the ocean, we had a great table and even saw a sea lion. Wait staff friendly and cheerful. Kept our water glasses full, good table busing. Our waitress: great gal, recommended the Chilean Sea Bass, delicious except for the spinach crust, not so much. Swordfish for my husband, good. The asparagus with it that he gave to me..heaven, cooked just right. Cerviche: disappointing: 1. I am allergic to shrimp so had to remove all the little bay shrimp. Left with tiny bits of white fish. Not as good as Mexico or Peru. Shrimp should not be served: nets catch and kill too many other wildlife. Dessert: trio of sorbet: lemon grass is too strong. Other flavors good. Good wine rec by our waitress. EXPENSIVE!!! But great for my B-Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daricDined on 6/7/2014Great location for evening dining on the beach at sunset. Service was very good and the salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.