1670 Coast Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.poseidonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8587559345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Hours Monday - Sunday 11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mourad Jamal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accomodate large parties up to 50 people. One check - 4 course meals from $55 per person plus tax and gratuity. Host or no host bar can be provided. We have a wide selection of wines and full bar. There is a $200 room charge. A $200 refundable deposit is required to accept your reservation.
- Private Party Contact: Dinner: Chef Jamal - Lunch: Toni Bretzing 8886373254
A word from Poseidon
The minute you walk into Poseidon, you’ll be swept by the fabulous view. You couldn’t be closer to the sand and the beach than sitting at Poseidon on their beautiful outdoor patio. With such a spectacular ocean view, you’ll experience breathtaking sunsets and during the right season even catch a glimpse of the whales migrating up or down the coast. The bar offers a large circular firepit, which is nice on those chilly fall or winter nights. Off to the side of the bar is a split level dining room offering every table a panoramic view of the beach and the ocean. For over 33 years, Poseidon has delighted both local San Diegans and the tourists that love the beach. An excellent menu, a favorite with all the locals is designed to cater to all appetites and pocketbooks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Poseidon - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Poseidon reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (181)great for outdoor dining (175)special occasion (98)great for lunch (88)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (49)great for brunch (48)hot spot (42)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (39)kid-friendly (23)notable wine list (15)late-night find (14)Show More
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We have a wonderful time. The view and food was fantastic. We will return soon.Special Features:
- Excellent well priced food in a gr8OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Excellent well priced food in a great setting. Good presentation, quality and taste Waves providing a wonderful sound accompaniment. Can not have a more natural settingSpecial Features:
- Nothing to write home about!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Aside from the great ocean view this place is nothing to write home about. We made a reservation for 7pm on a Saturday for which we checked in at 6:40. We were not seated until about 7:30 and by the time the food came to our table it was 8:20. If the food was a homerun I would have said it was worth the wait, but at best it was tasteless. My two friends ordered the exact same filet mignon from the menu but were noticeably different; one was about 8 oz and the other was about 4 oz. My coffee-crusted porterhouse tasted like it had been crusted in instant coffee because there was zero flavor. We will probably never come back here.Special Features:
- Gorgeous outdoor ocean view settingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We wanted an outdoor lunch for our birthdays almost literally on the sand. This Del Mar restaurant fits the bill. The only drawback was the noise of all the people outside, and the fact that a 3 foot high cement wall separates the dining area from the sand. It was crowded on a Friday afternoon and service was slow. We had to wait in a line of cars for nearly 15 minutes to drop off the car for Valet parking. Otherwise, it was a perfect setting for a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- beautiful beach settigRoxyDined on 10/14/2014beautiful place. we ate outside and the beach was amazing! this is a very expensive restaurantSpecial Features:
- Beautiful inside and outDidntlvenoughtipDined on 10/12/2014Couldn't be a better view or service. We couldn't have had a better server, Devin. He was really the best, couldn't be better. His service was perfect, he was there when we needed him but didn't constantly keep bothering us. He knew his job and had all the answers to all of our questions. An all round good guy. He's a keeper.Special Features:
- Anniversary night outInspiredDined on 10/11/2014At first walking in the hostess was very friendly and made sure our spot was perfect for our celebration of our wedding anniversary dinner. Waiter was attentive and took care of our needs, could of been a bit more warm/friendly but I am sure he was very busy being a Saturday night. Dinner was great. Hostess knew it was our anniversary and was very friendly with well wishes to us on our special day. ONLY thought was, which it isn't expected, but thought maybe a dessert would of been given as a treat for celebrating our day there. But overall, evening was very nice. be sure you get there before your reservations, valet was full, had to pay $15.00 across the street. a bit of disappointing to pay, there parking area for valet is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful AfternoonFabulousVIPDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant accommodated our request for outside dining and the food was great......the service was very attentive....which all added to a beautiful afternoon. Could not have asked for anything more. Thank you Poseidon for always coming throughSpecial Features:
- Beautiful view and great foodrlbazgirlDined on 10/9/2014We alway eat here when visiting Del Mar. The cioppino is is excellent. The patio is the perfect place to watch the sunset. They have a wide variety of items for the kiddos as well.Special Features:
- wonderfulpeter45Dined on 10/8/2014Have come here for decades and the owner still carries on. We are both getting old but don't change the place. I thank you.Special Features:
- AloftehDined on 10/7/2014I like this restaurant and I was happy with the service but my guests were not and thought the service was not good and the waiter was not friendly with them .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EAterEAterDined on 10/5/2014We celebrated my 71st birthday at Poseidon. We got there early and were seated on the patio with a beautiful view of the beach and sunset. The seabass, steak, porkchop and cioppino were absolutely delicious! The Caesar salad was disappointing to say the least; skimpy, no flavor of anchovies. My husband asked the waiter to bring some anchovies for his salad and he did. They were delicious. The service was perfect. It was a memorable birthday!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We had never been to this restaurant and came from Arizona to celebrate our anniversary dinner here. Absolutely wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Romantic Diner with sunsetJeffP49Dined on 10/2/2014I went to diner here with my lady friend. Never have had a more romantic place to have diner sitting at the beach, watching the sunset in the pacific. Next to that the food was also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdaylyndaDined on 10/1/2014We celebrated my birthday dinner at Poseidon. We usually love this restaurant on the beach for lunch. It is Restaurant Week, so the place was full to capacity and very noisy. The waitress seemed to want us to "hurry up." She brought the dessert menu before my son finished his dinner. Parking, as usual, was a nightmare, but you can't beat the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReflectionshostingguestsDined on 10/1/2014The food was excellent EXCEPT the tails were left on the spinach and at these prices that was not acceptable. The wine, at 1/2 price was priced right and was quite good. The valet parking, at $5 helped us avoid the hassle of hunting for one. All staff were courteous, especially our waiter, Kevin. The restaurant is too pricy for us to be used except for special occasions, but for those it is super.Special Features:
- MtbikejohnVIPDined on 9/29/2014The service was slow and not nice. The glare from the sun was blinding inside, needs add a window shade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fantastic view!BeckyDined on 9/27/2014.... and excellent service too. Wonderful dinner, right on the Pacific.Special Features:
- Love the patio!anniveventDined on 9/24/2014I've reserved a table next to the seawall on the patio about 10 times now over the past 7 or 8 months. The view up and down the beach and right out into the waves is really exciting and beautiful! Such an ideal location to take any out-of-town guests! Talk about ambiance!!Special Features:
- Great views!seefoodluverDined on 9/22/2014We specified a beachfront table, and one was waiting for us when we arrived. Our waitress was spot on, but the bus service left something to be desired. Not enough set ups, even when the food arrived. Nice varied menu and everyone enjoyed their food. Lobster/crab cake appetizer ore than enough for a full lunch. The view is spectacular and perfect for out of town guests. We would return.Special Features:
- beach1Dined on 9/21/2014Excellent food ~ exceptional ~ service was top notch which is unusual for San Diego area.....Special Features:
- Great tastefatchanceDined on 9/20/2014We have never been disappointed with the quality of the food. Parking was a bit of a hassle on the weekend. View is fantastic and were just in time for the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014I ate here with my family on Saturday and we made the perfect reservation time at 6:45pm and was able to catch an amazing sunset! We requested to sit outside on their patio and right there in front of you is the ocean! You can dress casual or dress up-either is fine. I ordered a Mango margarita, Pistachio Crusted Loch-Duart Scottish Salmon, and for dessert, a Kona Coffee gelato. All very tasty! The service was average-our server kept telling us to hold on since she always happened to be in the middle of something. Other than that, the food and the view was perfect! Will definitely come back to try more dishes!Special Features:
- Perfect Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I booked this restaurant not knowing the restaurant, or the area of Del Mar, but simply going with the recommendations on Trip Advisor. My mom and I took my aunt to celebrate her 70th, and it was a perfect celebration! Great seafood linguine, and amazing steaks, and the sunset was perfect, too! Also, our server was excellent! Reserving on OpenTable was so cool- really appreciated that service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very romantic place for dinner.LD760Dined on 9/19/2014Very good food, great ocean view great food very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Poseidon!PalatePeteDined on 9/19/2014We saw an ad on a local map and so decided to book a table. We were beyond pleased with our experience! Delicious food, great service and unparalleled view/ambience outdoors for sunset. You've got to make Poseidon a stop if you're visiting the North San Diego area. Very romantic and the sea bass was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, mediocre food.2gocoastalDined on 9/18/2014Sitting right on the beach the view is fantastic. Best time to go is for lunch, or happy hour. The expensive dinner items are not that well prepared. We had lukewarm, runny mash potatoes, and soggy asparagus with our filets. The bread rolls are some kind of awful pretzel rolls?? We prefer the standard crusty sourdough rolls served at most nice seafood restaurants. The restaurant needs a remodel, pics on line make it look better than what it is. It's dirty and run down looking inside. Screams toursist trap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waves crashing, sun shininglyndaDined on 9/18/2014Eating lunch on the patio of the Poseidon is right on the sand. Food is delicious, well prepared, nicely presented. The wait staff are attentive, but the parking can be a nightmare.Special Features:
- Excellent food and views!EastcoasvisitorDined on 9/17/2014Fun atmosphere, great view of the sunset, food was excellent, especially the Chilean sea bass! We were there with business associates and it was a perfect setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Dinner w/ HusbandOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The food and view were amazing. We arrived at 5:30 for our reservation and were able to sit front and center for the sunset on the patio. The service was "off" and not what I would expect for such a high caliber restaurant. Little things, like asking for bread 3 times and silverware after the main course was delivered soured the experience a bit but overall an amazing find. Will go again.Special Features:
- Super sea bass sand ribeyeSmittyDined on 9/4/2014Great view setting sun,fresh air by the beach. Food good and will go back. Loved the deck area,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidDined on 9/2/2014One of the best restaurant for the romantic ocean view. The selection of food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely viewCorkyDined on 9/2/2014Best steamed clams ever plus killer burger!! The cocktails were cold and delicious and service was spot on!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2014Poseidon never disappoints. Amazing view, good food and a fun atmosphere. We were lucky last time there to witness a wedding on the beach.Special Features:
- linzeeDined on 9/1/2014One of the top places to take friends from out of town. Great ambience and view of ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Everyone (4) in our party were more than happy with the food, which was great, along with the service and view. Will definitely be back.
- Not our first time there but was asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014good as ever. Spectacular views, great food, great service. Had out of town guests that always request the Poseidon when they come.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Location, location, location - on the sand. We sat on patio but it looked like just about all the tables had an ocean view. Major bonus for such a located venue - good food and service.Special Features:
- great food by the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Good food with a great view. Right on the water with views of waves and blue sky. Food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View Great Food Great serviceLisamacDined on 8/28/2014We took our friends from out of town to Poseidon. We were celebrating 2 birthdays. We arrived a bit early for our reservation and even though they were packed, our table was ready. We sat on the patio and the view is not to be beat. We were able to watch the sunset. Our server was delightful and very attentive. We were a table of 8 and every person loved their meal. It was great experience and I highly recommend Poseidon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.