4281 boulevard Saint Laurent
Montreal, QC H2W 1Z4Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://portuscalle.ca/
- Phone: 5148492070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Helena Loureiro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Sundays restaurant could open for private group
- Private Party Contact: Helena Loureiro 514 849 2070
- Entertainment: Brazilian lounge music band every Thursday
A word from Portuscalle
Enjoy fine Portuguese cuisine at Portuscalle. The menu is a true representation of Iberian country. On the other side of the dividing wall, guests can sit at the bar lounge to have a cocktail and tasty petiscos–Portuguese appetizers that are lighter than their Spanish counterparts thanks to natural ingredients like olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, coriander and parsley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Portuscalle - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Portuscalle reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)special occasion (23)romantic (18)notable wine list (14)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food, but the service..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014I am a returning client to Portuscalle, and there is obviously a reason why we keep going back.. We were a table of four celebrating a birthday - and upon being greeted by our waitress (we were only two at the time), we advised her the birthday lady was coming, and we would want something special at the end of the night... Unfortunately we never saw that waitress again, and no birthday treat was organized. Our waitress did not pay attention to us at all - to the point where we waited 1.5 hrs between our services. I'm patient, but this was a whole different level. We advised David, who did his very best to turn it around, but we were so far beyond disappointed, that our evening just turned out fair, and no where near wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014great foods, great wines suggested by David who knows what he is talking about, from a wonderful wine list with many private import wines , great ambiance; we are in Portugal; thank you Helena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely ReturnmimiVIPDined on 9/13/2014Ordered a variety of small dishes for our table of 4. We especially enjoyed the lamb dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Montreal's finestRayBDined on 9/11/2014The food, service and ambiance could not be much better. Knowledgeable staff and very efficient.Special Features:
- DessappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014We went there several times and it is the first time we are dessapointed. The service was vert poor and the food the wow effect was not thereSpecial Features:
- Best EverDonnaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Excellent tapas. Had the grilled octopus, delicate, tender juicy and served with a whipped bacon spred. divine. Best grilled tuna ever. Wonderful food and beautiful setting.chef Helena is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great... Once again!PopocheDined on 8/16/2014Once again, everything was perfect. Great service. Great food. Try it; you'll love. One of my 2014 greatest discovery!Special Features:
- Wow !IlovefoodDined on 8/15/2014Chef Helena is simply outstandting. Wonderful flavors, freshest ingredients and a master touch in presentation. Its hands down one of the best places in town to have a cullinairy experience. Its our GO TO place ! Trying it is adopting it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyGBVDDined on 8/2/2014Went in with little expectations but left with a great impression! Great attention to quality. From service, to wine pairing, presentation and above all, the food, which should be the focus of any good restaurant. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodAntonioDined on 8/1/2014La pievre est delicieuse Le service pendant le repas principal etait absent sur la terrasse. Inacceptable pour un resto de ce calibreSpecial Features:
- Vraiment parfait!OleeDined on 7/31/2014A mon avis un des meilleurs sinon le meilleur restaurant a Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - unstructured serviceAramisDined on 7/24/2014Had a nice meal at Portuscalle, as always, the food and produce were fresh and tasty, all put together under the supervision of the Chef (Helena), very visible in the kitchen. THe problem was more on the floor: while there wasa clear boss in the kitchen, one was definitely missing service wise. Multiplie servers came to help, all in an unstructured and uncoordinated fashion. Despite 3 mentions that we were not rushed plates kept coming without our go ahead , at times overlapping with drinks, etc. Apparently, the waiters did not talk to one another neither to the Maitre D, and moreover were not learning after the first feedback came to them.Special Features:
- Très bon lunch sur la terrassesearching4outstandingDined on 7/21/2014Nous avons très bien mangé sur la terrasse de ce restaurant qui offrait autant des places à l'ombre qu'au soleil. La tâble d'hôte du midi (21$) offre des choix variés d'une très grande qualité. Service courtois et efficace. Mon invité et moi avions toutes les deux optées pour le tartare de thon (excellent), suivi du mahi mahi grillé (très bon) et finalement l'éclair à la lime et ananas. Ce dernier m'a particulièrement surpris avec beaucoup de fraîcheur et de légèreté. Le lunch au Portus Calle est vraiment à ne pas manquer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique découverteguyniquetteDined on 7/19/2014Nous en avions eu des échos mais c'était beaucoup mieux en réel. Menu dégustation incroyable. Service attentionné et amical. Ambiance agréable. Bref note parfaite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurboVIPDined on 6/27/2014Visiting from the US and had an excellent experience. Great food, great service & an overall great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicole28Dined on 6/26/2014nourriture variée et exceptionnelle. Plusieurs découvertes.Special Features:
- The food was artistic & fresh!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014We had the sampler dishes and loved the fact that we didn't know what was coming. It started with salmon tartare in a spoon followed by a platter of mixed seafood, fish and followed by several other delectable dishes all the way to dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!RobertoYumDined on 6/6/2014Excellent selection of hot and cold Portuguese style tapas. Great selection of Portuguese wines, special import, nice gems to discover, our server helped us find just the right moderately priced white wine to complement our meal. The seafood with saffron rice was 4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 101 reviews are from the Portuscalle reviews archive.
- One of the Best !live2dineDined on 5/23/2014We were celebrating our girlfriend's 50th birthday. The food was outstanding and the service was great! Never disappointed dining at Portus Calle. Don't miss out on a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best diner I ever hadWoodspireDined on 5/23/2014Waitress was excellent and the food sublime. I am not a far of seafood, but that restaurant changed my opinion !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdgkbDined on 5/20/2014Wide variety of delicious food. I will certainly be going back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good NightOK30Dined on 5/8/2014We had a reservation but decided to sit at the bar since there was a hockey playoff game. We told the young lady to take care of us for food & wine and we were not disappointed. We had a very good tasting menu consisting of the ceviche, shrimps, cod, mushrooms & sausages, she even recommended an excellent white wine that complemented the meal. We stayed longer than expected & never felt pressured to leave. A very good night.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014My wife and I had a great evening at Portus Calle on May 3. We had the "degustation" menu and every single dish was wonderfully prepared and delicious. The restaurant was full and our waitress made us feel as if we were the only ones there. We had the pleasure of seeing Helena working her magic and being delightful with the guests making her round throughout the evening. Truly a Montreal gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtapasDined on 5/3/2014Bon repas, le nourriture est bonne sauf le service est long, les plats arrivent tres espacés pour tapas petits format surtout et parfois arrivent froids...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supper outing to look forward to.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014As always, inviting ambiance, efficient and curious staff, accommodating host, excellent meal. Always feel welcome and they always make you feel as they are happy to see you. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helena on McGill much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Portus Calle used to be a great portuguese tapas option, vibrant, good food, energetic atmosphere but noise level still enabling conversations. Now the food quality has gone down, the noise level is high and even the crowd seem to have changed. Chef Helena has opened a higher end restaurant on McGill called simply "Helena" which is a much better option on all aspects. Just ordering Serano cold cuts at both makes you see the difference.
- Thoroughly EnjoyableShmergDined on 3/22/2014We were two mid-age couples for an evening of good food and wine with good friends. The restaurant came with recommendation from our married kids who love it. They told us to order some tapas to start, like the scallops with crispy prosciutto and blood sausage over pineapple. We couldn't stop there so we added more tapas plates and all were delicious! Our main dishes were just as special. The steak with an egg on top was prepared to perfection, as was the prawns and the boulabase. The Portugese wine list is priced fairly and the one chosen for us by the sommelier and our fabulous server was perfect. We went through two bottles. I can't say a negative word about our experience. We go to fine restaurants often and this one is a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place for octopus and fishfranoDined on 3/14/2014fish, octopus and calamari outstanding and always consistently cooked to perfection. vegetables on main course are not an afterthougth; different every night and imaginative.Special Features:
- I loved everything exceptCathyDined on 3/1/2014I loved everything except the octopus who was too cooked, almost burned. The rest was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Valentine supperfortune500Dined on 2/15/2014This restaurant was recommended by one of my employees, who by the way is portuguese. Thus the reason I went to him in the first place. He was right on the nose! The food was outstanding. Tapas for entrees and fish for the main course. What a delight! Fresh and plentiful! I highly recommend Portus Calle to all food lovers. Me and my wife will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines supperStarVIPDined on 2/15/2014While we have been to Helena's numerous times, it was our first time at Portus Calle, her first restaurant We did not get the same attention as at Helena's, we could hardly hear the waiter as it was very noisy due to open space. They did not explain the menu nor food choices . We ordered Bombay gin and tonic, but we were not served Bombay. When it came to choosing the wine, we asked for sommelier but waiter said he could help us. We also wanted a bottle of Moet Chandon which was on wine list but they told us they did not have any and suggested a more expensive alternative. Food was very good.
- Do not get a window seat asOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2014Do not get a window seat as the HVAC system is strong and bothersome.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Amazing experience. We took the degustation menu and everything was delightful,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy breezy tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Went with group of five all with different tastes. Waiter suggested they send over a selection of tapas and the a fish to share. It was perfect! We didn't have to think about ordering, each service was a surprise and we were stuffed before the fish arrived! Will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining at Portus CalleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2013Great dining experience that always impresses my clients and friends... Too many favorite dishes to mention here... Best place to take my Italian wife... Each meal has a unique flavor that makes you think about all the nuances used in creating the dish or appetizer... Service is always great with a very personal touch.. More than one of my special clients i have brought there have commented on the ambiance, and most have returned on their own with other clients or their own spouses... Great attention to detail without being too obvious... Private wine list is great consisting of Portuguese labels...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJoeyDined on 12/14/2013Was there for my 12th year wedding anniversary this week-end. Food was amazing. Everything was great. Treated like special guests.Special Features:
- Nice place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013Good place, excellent food, Place to go for dinner, but too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outVeeSmithDined on 11/7/2013Unfortunately we had been delayed in traffic on our way to dinner & had an event booked to go to after. We mentioned this to the waitress who made sure our food was all brought out very speedy. Food was excellent - great service - presentation perfect. Wonderful night out - highly recommended!! But next time I will just make sure we have plenty of time to really enjoy fully!!! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGMar2Dined on 10/5/2013Had a great meal. The food, the presentation and the service were all exceptional. This is a restaurant that definitely takes pride in every dish they put in front of you. We were 8 people and no one was disappointed! The only thing I can complain about was the noise level....but while we had to speak very loudly to hear each other, it just seemed part of the vibe of a very lively and happening restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortusCalle, amazing... again!ShamelDined on 10/5/2013The food is awesome and the service is impeccable. One of my favorite restaurant in Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.