Portobello Vegan Trattoria
1125 SE Division Street
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Portobello Vegan Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://portobellopdx.com/
- Phone: 5037545993x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Supper three course set menu 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Aaron Adams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Portobello Vegan Trattoria
Portobello works directly with several local farms to prepare an organic produce-driven menu informed by the Mediterranean tradition, but still uniquely Northwest. In addition to our seasonal menu we feature housemade pasta and Neopolitan-inspired pizza, have a full bar with craft cocktails, and yes, everything is totally vegan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Portobello Vegan Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (9)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- JoytobeveganDined on 6/21/2014We've been to Portobello many times and are always thrilled with the service, food, and overall experience! This time we took my in-laws, who are not vegan, and not only did they enjoy their meal, they said they would definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegan food I've ever hadplaguedbybeesDined on 6/21/2014Everything we ordered was totally amazing. The best vegan food ever. Order the Beet tartar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veganDined on 6/20/2014great vegan food that isn't rabbit food. creative concoctions, very delicious. the pizza was nothing special but the starters and pasta we had was excellent! i wish there more vegetarian/ vegan restaurants that wasn't all about being healthy and just be good food. so tired of kale, quinoa, and tofu turing up at every vege restaurant! portabello was good tasty creative food.Special Features:
- Vegan Wonderlandlogic1503Dined on 6/20/2014I have been here three times and fall in love over again every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveMarcSVIPDined on 6/17/2014While neither a vegan or vegetarian the food here is fit for anyone. I think a chef had to be quite creative to achieve such flavor profiles without eggs, butter, cream etc. portobello deserves the high reputation it hasSpecial Features:
- Loved PortabelloFoodiewannabeDined on 6/14/2014Portland has a lot of great restaurants but this one is outstanding. Seldom do I find myself remembering each course of a meal longingly and wanting to eat it all over again. The special drink of the night, a gin lime rickey with muddled cherries was such a hit we plan to try to make it at home. Asparagus fries were out of this world. Mushroom cavetelli with trumpet mushrooms and leeks was very satisfying and comforting to eat. We saved room for tiramisu (non dairy of course) which is a hit an miss item at most restaurants. We found it delectable - rich and "creamy" with lady fingers that tasted almost like graham crackers. The service was not fast, but it was quite personal and friendly. We plan to return and try other items.Special Features:
- Best vegan restaurant in Portlandcb2nDined on 6/12/2014Whenever we visit Portland the first restaurant that I want to eat in is Portobello. They have the most creative, delicious food that I've ever tasted. Their menu changes frequently so that every dining experience is different and fresh. The pairings of various food types and spices are unique and absolutely wonderful. I wish that I could cook like that. I think the highest praise I can offer is that I wish our town had Portobello so I could go at least once a week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Upscale Vegan RestaurantKailuagirll99Dined on 6/11/2014Fine dining and vegan too! Try the beet tartare appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014They elevate vegetarian and vegan Italian food to a whole new level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very impressedhkhmDined on 6/6/2014my husband and i decided to try portabello and were very impressed. the food was fantastic, our server was funny and attentive and the entire evening was relaxing and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Pre-air travel nourishmentterarymDined on 6/4/2014We wanted to be fed, hydrated and relaxed before a red-eye flight. Beet & asparagus salad, mushroom cavatelli, harrisa gnocci and a sundae of strawberry-basil ice cream, along with lots of fresh, cool water was just the thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our place for special occasionsBacksonDined on 6/3/2014We always enjoy our visits to this vegan oasis. The food is always wholesome, original, and beautifully prepared. This is where we go to celebrate --prices are higher than our usual, but still reasonable considering the high quality of the ingredients and the superb cooking and presentation. Yes, a neighborhood gem, but we would travel across town to enjoy Portobello.Special Features:
- A Vegan's DelightAbuelaDined on 6/1/2014Enjoyable fare for this omnivore. Dishes are tasty and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 374 reviews are from the Portobello Vegan Trattoria reviews archive.
- Outstanding Food!MarkPDXDined on 5/24/2014Portobello is one of our favorite restaurants, and this week, I had one of the best meals ever. The lemon garlic pesto and trumpet mushroom entree was out of this world. Followed by the chocolate orange pot de creme, it was heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceRennersDined on 5/21/2014We had several appetizers, 5 different dinners, and 2 desserts. Everything was really great. One of our party is vegan, and I often struggle with finding vegan options that I like. No struggles here! I thoroughly enjoyed the food, drinks, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie delightterarymDined on 5/21/2014The starter was an arugula salad garnished with strawberry slices. Fresh and peppery with the lovely arugula. We dined on sides-sugar snap peas and succulent grilled asparagus. The kombucha, with extra ginger, was a vibrant beverage with our savory dishes. We chose a small order of nettle ravioli, with came with a luscious cashew cream sauce highlighted with small onions. The pasta was perfect al dente. Dessert was the cheesecake trifle with a rhubarb compote. It was large and could have easily fed more than the two of us. Rich and the rhubarb was nicely tart as a contrast to the filling. A lovely meal, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as expectedmrclayDined on 5/20/2014I've wanted to try Portable for a while & decided to take some visiting family & was extremely pleased with the experience. 3 out of the 4 of us are not vegetarian (much less vegan) and all of us loved everything that we ordered. We decided to try the "sharing menu" (the whole table has to go in on it) which gives you a choice of starter, second course, main course and desert. Wow. Wow. and add another wow. Awesome food (and drinks!) all around!Special Features:
- delicious, healthy foodbluishgreenoneDined on 5/18/2014Portobello is my go to date restaurant. The food is always good and beautifully presented. It is moderately pricey. On this particular day it was quite load and my date and I could hardly hear each other. Then the waiter accidentally rung me up for the wrong table (a rather expensive table of 4) and this was alarming and inconvenient. Though it did get corrected quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTAGriglockDined on 5/17/2014Everything we had at Portobello (two shared small plates, a pizza, a pasta dish, and dessert) was absolutely fantastic! My wife and I are not vegan, but we like to try all sorts of food, so we has to try Portobello. That said, we could not have been happier with their food. Sometimes people say "that was good for vegan (fill in the blank)", but Portobello was great all around, not just "for vegan food". We will definitely be returning on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Creative vegan foodVeggieeaterDined on 5/17/2014Great vegan food. Creative menu that makes use of seasonal vegetables. Variety is good, but the portobello steak is the best in my opinion. One of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food + FriendsnewlyveganDined on 5/16/2014I would recommend this place to people who want to enjoy great food with greater company. This was a lovely place where everyone socialized freely with each other. The food was fantastic. We're definitely coming back!Special Features:
- Vegan Food for EveryonehelensDined on 5/16/2014Any foodie would be amazed at the high level Portobello has achieved with vegan food. If we hadn't been in a special restaurant, I would have licked the serving dish for the dipping sauce for the breaded asparagus. My husband would have fought me for it, even though it was my birthday. The Northwest Sundae, with its salted caramel ice cream and slightly bitter chocolate sauce, was more than worth saving room for. Friendly but not obtrusive service. Just enough checking back. A candle in my sundae but no singing (yes!).Special Features:
- Mother's Day dinnerSharonaVIPDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day dinner was lovely. Did not know it was pre fixe until we arrived. Only one in our party of 6 disappointed (he had his heart set on a pasta dish). The stinging nettle soup was excellent! The strawberry cake with cashew cream icing and edible flowers was delicious! Loved our pinot noir juice mocktails, too. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treat!haleyinpdxDined on 5/10/2014This was our second trip to Portobello, and I love how they rotate the menu seasonally. we had the sweety peps app, which was fantastic. The cashew cheese is just out of this world. We look forward to our visits here for the entire time between booking a reservation and showing up. This is also a great place to go for anyone in sobriety as they always have a few different "mocktails" that are delicious and fancy, and flavorful enough to sip. From apps to dessert and coffee, everything is perfectly executed and there is something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Supper SuccessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014I was hesitant to try the Sunday Supper, because I like to be in charge of my dinner choices, but as we only had 2 free nights and one of them was Monday, when Portobello is unfortunately closed, we chose to give it a try. Every single component of each of the 3 courses was better than I ever could have imagined, and were things I normally probably wouldn't try! The mushroom "scallops" were a delightful surprise, and paired beautifully with simple roasted potatoes and green beans. And I can't even find the words for dessert. I have yet to try anything here at Portobello that I didn't just LOVE, and I think Sunday Suppers are going to be our new thing. Amazing value, delicious food, and a beautiful and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Highlight of our Portland trip!VegLovers2Dined on 5/4/2014I had wanted to dine at Portobello since I read about it in Veg News, probably 2 years ago now, but hadn't been in Portland at an appropriate time (we live in Tacoma) I have to say, it more than lived up to all good reviews I've seen. My husband and I will be making an effort to get back there as soon as we can. It was an excellent all around experience topped off with exquisite food.Special Features:
- Carnivore surprised, enjoys veganBtwofunDined on 4/30/2014Every item was delicious. Who knew a carnivore like me could thoroughly enjoy a meal at a vegan place - twice even!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two thumbs up!YUMFoodieDined on 4/29/2014Thank you for continuing to offer incredible vegan cuisine that appeals to a variety of palates. I feel Portobello's offerings are instrumental in showcasing that eating compassionately clearly doesn't mean missing out on any aspect of "foodie" experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegan restaurant in PortlandDelo99Dined on 4/26/2014Fabulous food, great atmosphere and service. Would recommend it to anyone, vegan or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Vegan Dining!BoulderMikeDined on 4/26/2014What can I say that hasn't already been said about Portobello Vegan Trattoria? As a Vegan I can say that the dishes are all innovative, and across the board excellent. The gnocchi is to die for, and the Beet Tartare is sinful. As with many Vegan restaurants, the service is sometimes a bit slow, but frankly I appreciate that they give you time between courses to recover a bit. I am betting this is intentional. I dine here more than once every time I visit Portland. Vegan food that is different than what I eat at home all the time is very much appreciated. I look forward to going to Portland so I can eat here.Special Features:
- Vegan...really?livetoeatDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food - even my meat-centric husband and good things to say! :-) We had 6 dishes (not including dessert) and we found that one appetizer and dinner item each did not measure up. So, out of six dishes ordered, four dishes we all unanimously considered good - and they were outstandingly so! We will be back! Great restaurant! Did I mention the tiramisu? It was stellar! One of the best I've ever had! I should have listened to the waitperson who asked if I wanted to take home two :-).Special Features:
- Tasty and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I had a very nice birthday meal at Portobello. I'm vegetarian, but even my meat- eating boyfriend commented on how good the braised kale with tomato and mushroom tart were. I really enjoyed the curry ketchup for the fries, and the Northwest sunday was a very tasty dessert. The service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Amazing vegan foodNowveganDined on 4/23/2014This is a place to take people who are skeptical about eating vegan food. The "sweetly peps" appetizer is outstanding, with just the right balance of sweet, salty, & sour. We were visiting Portland & had dinner there 2 nights in a row & look forward to returning to both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fancy vegan food!LovevegangrubDined on 4/23/2014My husband and I loved our dinner here. You really do get what you pay for here-it's a bit pricier but also exceptionally good food. The mushroom fries were amazing. The cherry sundae was amazing. My main, the scallops, was good, but not amazing. My husband's beet burger was amazing. Even their catsup was amazing. Wish I lived closer so I could come back to try more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good try but...swimmerDined on 4/17/2014Like most Vegan restaurants, Portobello misses the point. They make a fair attempt at offering vegan faire, but their selections are not necessarily healthy. Like most restaurants trying to cash in on being vegan their dishes are too heavy on f-a-t! The presentation of the food was also a good attempt but what I ordered, the cauliflower steak, was pretty unappetizing. My wife ordered the Portobello steak and it was also very monotone and appeared to have been half-heartedly placed on a plate. The menu was very misleading...the cauliflower steak was advertised as being accompanied with couscous which influenced my decision to order this dish. When it arrived there was a massive amount of risotto instead and it was overcooked and bland.
- Great eveningyounglawPDXDined on 4/16/2014My boyfriend and I came in for our anniversary, and we are so glad we came to Portobello. Food was great, service was great and the overall experience was a perfect fit to our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in townVeganKamalaDined on 4/13/2014Everything on the menu is mouth watering ( and I am a picky eater, too). Delicate, light, flavorful food in which no animals were harmed - the food fills your heart and belly with joy. The prices are very affordable too. I would like to be a weekly regular here. Too bad they are not open for lunch. It's so popular, don't forget to make a reservation.Special Features:
- Family Dinner Vegan StyleBizzBuzzVIPDined on 4/13/2014We had the pleasure of dining on a Sunday Family Style dinner. The food was fresh and delicious. It was a complete meal. We'll actually more like two meals. I liked the idea of family-style vegan. Unique. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantTuzoNenaDined on 4/12/2014We love this place! I've had some of the best food I've ever tasted here, and I love hat the menu is seasonal. The only negative thing is that seating is very slow. We always get reservations, but then there is always a big line at the door of people with and without reservations. The person checking people in needs to answer the phone, figure out if the people without reservations can get a table, seat people, bring them water...and it always ends up frustrating people. If that were streamlined, I think all customers would be much happier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan delight!NiceNurseDined on 4/11/2014Great good, lots of variety on the menu. Excellent service! My new favorite place!Special Features: